Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If they didn't burn down the old world to make it people would have been a lot more open to the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Yeah I didn't mean that disparagingly, it's fun (much like Deathwatch). Age of Sigmar's honestly fine apart from the whole thing where they turned the world into a series of elemental theme park dimensions.

So it's like Westworld?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Yeah I didn't mean that disparagingly, it's fun (much like Deathwatch). Age of Sigmar's honestly fine apart from the whole thing where they turned the world into a series of elemental theme park dimensions.
Honestly the Eight Realms are pretty cool now. Most people just don't know much about the setting and it's more interesting parts. Like the Realm of Fire has areas that are cold shockingly enough.

Hunt11 posted:

If they didn't burn down the old world to make it people would have been a lot more open to the setting.

The Old World is coming back. So they can co exist.

And seriously thinking about it I would be cool with running an online soulbound game for interested goons.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Hunt11 posted:

What I thought they were going to do and still wish they would have is have the few survivors of the Old World become the Old Ones of myth in the new world. A random-rear end Brettonian peasant or ork boy finds himself in the new world where the rules of physics aren't fixed yet so he finds he can wield new powers and becomes the immortal figure of myth to the new Aelfs or orruks or whateverthefucks, while the champions and generals of the armies become the new gods still carrying out their wars with each other.

In my head it's awesome - it would let you use your old models in new ways but also give an incentive to get new models, and it'd imply that the Chaos gods and Sigmar were the winners of the last cycle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Big batch of Wrath and Glory Errata came.
https://diw2l4zrbsp3w.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/WG-Errata-Sept2020.pdf

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
Is there a release date for the hardback of wrath and glory and soul bound?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver John posted:

Is there a release date for the hardback of wrath and glory and soul bound?

Not sure about Wrath but Soulbound should be coming soon as they have been showing off pictures of the physical book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Big Production update from Cubicle 7 on their upcoming stuff.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-warhammer-production-update/

Physical Wrath and Glory coming soon.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If I were a Genestealer Cult and I wanted to blend-in in Calixis where would I go?

Malfi? Volg on Fenksworld?

:shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wrong thread.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 21, 2020

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Big Production update from Cubicle 7 on their upcoming stuff.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-warhammer-production-update/

Physical Wrath and Glory coming soon.
Physical Wrath & Glory is in my hands. Seems like a substantial improvement over the physical Ulisses rulebook - better organisation, better index, all errata (including the run of errata from September) included, entire chapter dedicated to the Gilead System rather than literally just a 2-page spread, better print quality and paper quality, is much more readable. Also it doesn't smell of marzipan, which bizarrely my Ulisses one does.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
You had me up until here.

Warthur posted:

Also it doesn't smell of marzipan, which bizarrely my Ulisses one does.

No sale. :mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Only War and Black Crusade humble bundle is up. Not as insanely much content as there was on the Dark Heresy one but, still.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Edit - wrong thread

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there an Only War or Rogue Trader supplement that details in-world airships?

I'm trying to rulehack a setting for dirigible-based warfare, and my group isn't up for learning new rules at present.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tias posted:

I'm trying to rulehack a setting for dirigible-based warfare, and my group isn't up for learning new rules at present.

There's the Dark Heresy Apocrypha as well but I don't think it has dirigibles.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dh2 has vehicle combat rules, but if we're talking airships then just run it like you would a capital ship in RT. It's not like a 40k airship would be less than a mile long anyway.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That might work.. Are the RT ship rules easy to grasp?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tias posted:

That might work.. Are the RT ship rules easy to grasp?

As much as any other other part of this system. The haziest part is how many actions the crew gets to take.

Just know going in that you'll need a grid.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tias posted:

RT does have rules for planetary vehicles and airplanes etc, under the supplement Into the Storm. But I agree with the above recommendation that if the dirigibles are being treated as independent ships rather than interchangeable units within a larger army, you’re better off mocking them up as reskinned Rogue Trader ships using the regular starship combat rules in the core rulebook. Should work pretty well IMO.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Question that I'm sure has been answered repeatedly, but I can't find it. Is it worth buying the new Cubicle7 revised version of Wrath & Glory if you own the Ulisses Spiele version?

From what I can gather the art has changed slightly, they dropped the terrible spaceship rules and cleaned up some text for clarity, but structurally the game hasn't really changed. Trying to decide if it's worth another sixty bucks and I can't pull the trigger one way or the other.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

EverettLO posted:

Question that I'm sure has been answered repeatedly, but I can't find it. Is it worth buying the new Cubicle7 revised version of Wrath & Glory if you own the Ulisses Spiele version?

From what I can gather the art has changed slightly, they dropped the terrible spaceship rules and cleaned up some text for clarity, but structurally the game hasn't really changed. Trying to decide if it's worth another sixty bucks and I can't pull the trigger one way or the other.

It’s a rather more significant change than all that. The core dice pool mechanic is the same but a lot of the subsystems are different. For example, character creation is revamped, they jettisoned the campaign card and threatening task systems, added new stealth mechanics, and tweaked a lot of combat details.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

EverettLO posted:

they dropped the terrible spaceship rules
Which has the amusing ramification of the revised Rogue Trader archetype starting with an Imperial frigate as part of their wargear, but as for what it actually does? :iiam:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I'll be honest, from a read the new version of wrath and glory is a lot better, but not a great game. I think there is an errata doc that you can use if you want to get a sense of the changes, but at the end is the day I don't think it's worth it.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

MMAgCh posted:

Which has the amusing ramification of the revised Rogue Trader archetype starting with an Imperial frigate as part of their wargear, but as for what it actually does? :iiam:

Honestly, that may be for the best. I played briefly in an FFG Rogue Trader game and from what I remember, the starship rules cleaved way too closely to Battlefleet Gothic. Like, a couple of not-unusually-bad rolls could more or less end a campaign.

Treating the ship as a background tool or simply a location probably works better for me.

PantsOptional posted:

It’s a rather more significant change than all that. The core dice pool mechanic is the same but a lot of the subsystems are different. For example, character creation is revamped, they jettisoned the campaign card and threatening task systems, added new stealth mechanics, and tweaked a lot of combat details.

Hmm. This is sounding like I should buy it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

W&G isn't bad, it's just that it lacks content overall. The first real splatbook for the game, Forsaken System Player's Guide, does fill in a couple of gaps that was missing when it comes to archetypes. But there are some holes that still need to be filled when it comes to subsystems, and if you're not keen on coming up with something on your own you might be scrambling a little bit.
Much like Dark Heresy the combat can feel very rocket tag-y as well, especially when damage 10+ weapons show up and armor doesn't scale in comparison.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Hey y'all, been asked to do a game during our Dark Heresy campaign to give the DM a break. Kinda wanna do a Black Crusade reverse heist oneshot. Any good tools around to make it easier?

I've read the apoocrypha and have some ideas.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
If you're not planning on using pre-made characters, my advancement cost calculator will take all the math out of chargen.

There's also some apocrypha rules floating around the web but I feel like they'd over-complicate a one-shot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So what are good non-official/setting agnostic systems to run Hams games with miniatures?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'll be running an Only War one-shot in a week or so, and I want to do a 180-turn from the regular, expected grimdark, and turn it into an absurdist comedy of sorts. Trouble is, my calendar just keeps getting more packed, and I just don't have the free time to re-watch and plunder ideas from Black Adder 4, as was my original idea :ohdear: Do you guys have any good setups or set-pieces I could use? I kinda remember someone talking about their OW campaign, where the players were the regimental marching band; does anyone remember the original story/thread?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Play as Da Emprah’s Greenest. A bunch of orks tithed by mistake as “ogryn,” given commissars that know better but also know that attempting to point it out will just get themselves killed. They have been called up to suppress some “eresee” by a planetary governor attempting to lead his world to join the Tau after feeling that the Imperium was providing insufficient protection against other xenos threats. With Da Emprah’s Greenest en route to return the world to a state of compliance, is the governor wrong... or right?

Preechr fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 26, 2021

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Haha! Excellent :D I can't have them play orks, since they've already rolled up their characters, but I can definitely work in some pointed glares from the regimental commissars regarding the xenos most definitely sanctioned abhuman recruits :D

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The players are dispatched to fight heresy... but nobody can agree on what the heresy is exactly. Entire committees are arguing about fine theological points right up to the drop, and after. The planet is sure they are still perfectly loyal.

Edit: Obviously you are going to the wrong planet. What idiot wrote IIII instead of IV?

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 27, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
One idea I've had for a while is to run a Kelly's Heroes type game with the players belonging to a Jopall Indentured Squadron. Having a regiment that actually encourages kill stealing, keeping score, and going to greater and greater lengths of insane heroism for bigger and bigger payouts could make for a really fun and absolutely ridiculous game, especially if contrasted against a more... traditional regiment like Cadians or Kriegers.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Have Commisar 3 Grots in a Trenchcoat squeal in their horrible piping voice "We 'ave been hinfiltrated by an agent of t'e ENEMY and we must hroot t'em hout." Potential suspects include a blue human who swears everyone in his unit is blue and has a really nice gun, the company mascot which is definitely just a hormagaunt with a top hat and monocle grafted on, an obvious genestealer cultist who won't shut up about the arms of the Emperor etc.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deathwatch game coming up. How to engage the various squad specialties in the non-combat segments? I got some archives for the techmarine to wrangle and a ghost for the librarian, but I'll take any and all suggestions or good experiences you got :)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tias posted:

Deathwatch game coming up. How to engage the various squad specialties in the non-combat segments? I got some archives for the techmarine to wrangle and a ghost for the librarian, but I'll take any and all suggestions or good experiences you got :)

Semi serious answer: Make them play Nice Marines for a session.

https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1265954214460735494?s=20

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cantorsdust posted:

Semi serious answer: Make them play Nice Marines for a session.

https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1265954214460735494?s=20

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tias posted:

Don't just consider their specialty, also consider their chapter. A Fist always knows how to prepare a position, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd say consider Chapter before specialty, esp. for Tacticals, Devastators and Assaults, since they don't have outstanding non-combat duties like techmarines and libbies.