Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It speaks to the strength of the game that I've already beaten it four times and am really looking forward to playing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hey fellow Hobocops! I wrote an essay on the pale and Existentialism: https://haywiremag.com/features/the-miracle-animal-and-the-pale-inside-existential-thought-in-disco-elysium/

It's my first piece of games criticism! Haywire Magazine, a (free) online games criticism magazine, was unbelievably helpful and helped me re-write my monstrous, dense, and meandering first draft into something focused and readable. I argue the pale is a metaphor for existential nothingness unique to the human condition and walk through some of the broad strokes of Sartre's philosophy using characters and situations from DE. I'm happy to talk about it if the essay sparks anyone's interest.

From a while back, but drat this was excellent. I loved the conclusion. Thanks for sharing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think it would be a little less odd and probably not bother me at all if the narrator and the voices weren't the same

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Itchy pants. These pants make you angry. Good LORD these pants are UNCOMFORTABLE. Punch someone in the face! They are striped and calf-length; too tight around thighs, too loose around waist -- the worst case scenario.

+2 Half Light: Itch-rage

-1 Composure: Bees in your pants

-1 Savoir Faire: Really uncomfortable

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I hate my country enough that I regularly need to escape from the news cycle covering the hypocritical rape apologists (and rapists) that run it in order to save my sanity, usually escaping into video games. Then they had to go ahead and RC one of my favourites. I guess it's not surprising that the government banned a game that demonstrates such introspection about one's self, it's obvious no one running the country is capable of doing so.

That a game as nihilistic and explotative as Grand Theft Auto can be sold in stores while Disco Elysium gets banned is embarassing and indicative that the classification board is fairly obviously corrupt.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

SCheeseman posted:

I hate my country enough that I regularly need to escape from the news cycle covering the hypocritical rape apologists (and rapists) that run it
America?

quote:

Then they had to go ahead and RC one of my favourites.
Ah, Australia.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

There's an option to have new voice overs but not the narrator. So

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
One voice actor I hope they keep is Klaasje's, I didn't even realize she was a Chapo-adjacent person, just thought she really nailed it.

Neurosis posted:

Refused classification in Australia? gently caress. My understanding is that Steam workarounds to access banned games are a lot harder now than they were back when you could just use a VPN. Anyone have better info on how to get around these kind of bans other than pirating, which I'd prefer not to do but will do if there's no way for me to play the Final Cut?

Edit: I notice someone above saying if you already owned the game it should be fine as an update, but I'm not so sure.

That's how it works, if it's already in your account you can just download it normally. I have several games like that which can't be bought from my region (Germany) and they work just like any other. It's buying the game in the first place that would be a problem since Valve doesn't like people using a vpn for that, might even get your account banned.

dishwasherlove posted:

If you don't already own it just buy it now before it gets pulled in your region. If it gets pulled in your region you can always just buy a key off a 3rd party site and register it anyway (humble, gog whatever).

They don't sell keys on third party sites, you have to get it directly from Steam, GOG or EGS.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

one week to go so I am going to share some of the personal greatest hits screenshots collection

(this one gets me, always)

(the most cspam game of all time for a very good reason)

(the va/director absolutely kills this one)

(lmao'ed for real)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

one week to go so I am going to share some of the personal greatest hits screenshots collection

(the most cspam game of all time for a very good reason)

(the va/director absolutely kills this one)

(lmao'ed for real)

The one line (in context) that starts the tears every time here is "I'm glad to be me -- an incredibly sensitive instrument".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I think this is what I want to hear voiced most of all.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hooooyyype

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know if there is a gamescrip out with context? I know there is one with the lines unsorted.

I am looking for the full sandwich dialogue chain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i like the bit where you stick your thumb up your rear end. :lmao:

but that's all loving great too.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think empathy telling you with a medium success that "It is obvious that he would prefer the body were not in the tree." is my favourite line in the game

close second

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 23, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

My first final cut playthrough will be full-on communist

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One of my fav personal screenshots is from finally passing that one tough check in the church, but only in endgame, after the tribunal

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bifauxnen posted:

One of my fav personal screenshots is from finally passing that one tough check in the church, but only in endgame, after the tribunal

Wait...you can do the church stuff after the Tribunal? I had no drat idea!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Uhhh yeah hold the gently caress up WHAT

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

He's under cover

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

He's under cover

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Uhhh yeah hold the gently caress up WHAT

motherFUCKER

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I explicitly remember NOT being able to do the church stuff post tribunal and having to reload to an earlier save...

Or wait, maybe it was immediately prior to the tribunal, that would make more sense

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

once you are done with the mercs you don't necessarily have to go to the isle asap, you know

the warning is more due to "after you get to meet ruby some stuff will be shut off by necessity so be advised"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Well dang I better share the next bit of fun text from the end of the scene then

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

So can you bring Cuno to the church scene?!?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Roctavian posted:

So can you bring Cuno to the church scene?!?

That one isn't possible since after he talks to you in the Whirling, he takes off to meet back up with you later on the island.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Then you get the (second-)most cursed permutation of that scene, dancing solo with no Kim to command.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The line that is made by the voice acting in the original game is : THE SPINAL CORD.

And now that I think about it, the voice for the phasmid will make or break the new version.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

VictualSquid posted:

And now that I think about it, the voice for the phasmid will make or break the new version.

Make it the same person who voices the ex-something

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
not related to the final cut or DE at all really, but i stumbled into the ZA/UM's art director's ArtStation profile a while back and it contains this gem titled "gently caress You":

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lV6Xo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ruining suggestion is by all accounts the first misstep rostov has made in his entire career. I suppose it can be forgiven

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

What happens if you hypothetically start a run now, and partway through the final cut update happens?

Not that I am going to test this, I waited this long and I won't spoil myself until it is time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EorayMel posted:

What happens if you hypothetically start a run now, and partway through the final cut update happens?

Not that I am going to test this, I waited this long and I won't spoil myself until it is time.

I was assuming it's not a patch but a separate download?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

Well dang I better share the next bit of fun text from the end of the scene then

drat, he blew his cover.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Arist posted:

I was assuming it's not a patch but a separate download?

Not sure if they've said either way but they've said "hold onto your save games" in the past before they revealed the Final Cuts existence so saves presumably have to be compatible and not hosed.

Also it'd be weird to expect everyone to play the game again when they're adding these political quests that are culminations of that political ideology and most people would probably want to see those in their first playthrough state rather than play through the game again but keep the same ideology (like, if I play the full game again I'd probably be trying to see some of the other options).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
working through the seven stages of grief but it's me coming to terms with the fact that i ran through this game 3 times in a row when it came out and now i'm probably going to go and do it again.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Problem

Take a look at your hands. See how bruised they are? See those little scars? This is Exhibit A. The material world is holding you back. Containers, mailboxes, doors, chairs -- they are all your enemies. Always have been. Atoms themselves are in on the conspiracy, forming shapes and structures that you hate. You are energy stuck in a body. You are spirit trapped in matter. Break free! Beat up that lamp post! Let it know just how much objects *suck*.

Solution

Behold: the Anti-Object Task Force has assembled. God's avenging angel, arrayed against the lower emanations of the Darkened One: shoe racks, tape recorders, motor carriages. And doors. So many doors. You're not just pounding it all to pieces. You’re *reforging* the universe. From the anvil of the heavens to the worms below. Indulge in it. Be bold. Have an *impact* on the shape of Creation. Out of the furnace of your rage -- a new reality! Also, you should trash your room *again*.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I put off playing this until the final cut was announced and I can't wait to see depictictions or expressions of matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What kind of cop are you? (click for freaking huge)