Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Randalor posted:

I decided to pick up Adeptus Titanicus on the weekend (because its probably the only way I'll get actually get a titan). Is there anything I should watch out for before assembling the units, and are the expansion books worth picking up?

Assembling your robots, the legs in particular, can be easily messed up. I suggest watching some assembly videos on YouTube, for the Reaver and Warlord especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

ineptmule posted:

Assembling your robots, the legs in particular, can be easily messed up. I suggest watching some assembly videos on YouTube, for the Reaver and Warlord especially.
And always dry-fit the armor plates on the legs before you glue the legs into place, twice - you probably won't want to glue the plates on before painting, but do use them as a guide for positioning. Especially on the Reaver, the knees and toe supports allow for a lot more freedom of movement than the armor plates do.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my Imperial Guard kill team.

Currently trying and failing to resist the urge to keep going and make this a full 40k army.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there like, a Necromunda campaign league video podcast I could leave on during work and not strain my cringe muscles from gamer words and stuff?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Geisladisk posted:

Currently trying and failing to resist the urge to keep going and make this a full 40k army.

Keep going!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Geisladisk posted:

That Ogryn is proper rad.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

So any idea if the new Necromunda box set will have the up-to-date rules? I've been wanting to try the game out but have been put off by the broad amount of products that you feasibly need to acquire to get The Full Rules Set.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

is he an ogryn or just a really big lad?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

So any idea if the new Necromunda box set will have the up-to-date rules? I've been wanting to try the game out but have been put off by the broad amount of products that you feasibly need to acquire to get The Full Rules Set.

I'm *assuming* it will contain pretty basic rules. The description says: "A 104-page introductory rulebook is perfect for newcomers to the dark and violent underhive of Necromunda. It’s not just got the rules, though – you’ll learn all about the hive city itself and the Houses that inhabit it." The current version of the rulebook is 196 pages. Dark Uprising was 130. Honestly, it's hard to say exactly what you're going to get in terms of rules from GW and one of the many frustrating things about NM, to say the least.

I would say that you're still going to need the full rulebook if you plan on doing any campaign or advancement, most likely.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Moola posted:

is he an ogryn or just a really big lad?

He always ate his veggies as a kid

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

He always ate his veggies as a kid

tell him I love him

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Here's a pointless mystery someone might be able to help solve - a friend of mine has found notes from when we used to play 3rd or 4th ed Blood Bowl together about ten twenty years ago. :corsair: There's a reference to a player being delayed and not arriving at the game until the end of the first half, and none of us can figure out why that would be. It sounds like the effects of a dirty tricks card but none of us can find the deck to check. We didn't use dirty tricks in league games but we had lots of "anything goes" friendlies. Can anyone figure out why a player would miss the entire first half?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It was the effect of a special tactics card from BB third edition's expansion, Death Zone. IIRC the card was titled "Bad Habits".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fantastic, thanks for the speedy response!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Painted two of my Ravagers, got annoyed with how little I liked them, stripped them and started again with a totally opposite scheme. Let's kick some rear end for the Dark Gods redux!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The amount of cursed city content has reached peak, and its not up for pre-order this weekend. Crazy.

I desperately want this box. It'll be the first boxed game I've bought in years. The models are astoundingly good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really really want it but I can't justify the cost right now :/

Course I'm worried if I don't get it now its going to be unavailable at some point

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Is the price known yet?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

working mom posted:

Is the price known yet?

Nope.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

working mom posted:

Is the price known yet?

No, but it's safe to say "a lot"

Zaphod42 posted:

Course I'm worried if I don't get it now its going to be unavailable at some point

Obviously its all speculation, but if their current track record is anything to go off, they'll have made less than half as many as they should have.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Those sculpts are loving awesome and there's a lot of plastic so its gotta be pretty dang expensive. The only question is, is it going to be "expensive but good value" or "holy gently caress GW that's a lot"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
if it's like $150 i'm getting it

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
If it's under $200 (well under $199) I will be surprised, happy, but surprised.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I imagine we're going to see most boxes coming out at ~$225 for a year or two. That said, GW gouges the gently caress out of conversion rates so it's usually still cheaper to buy from a UK vendor and pay the $25 on shipping.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr.Booger posted:

If it's under $200 (well under $199) I will be surprised, happy, but surprised.

Well the previous Warhammer Quests were under that. And tended to have roughly as much stuff.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the previous Warhammer Quests were under that. And tended to have roughly as much stuff.

ya, but it's been awhile, and the Adeptus Titanicus box, and the last Necromunda box both were well over it, so i'm not holding my breathe. Still going to pick it up as haughty noble vampires is my jam, but I am prepared to get gouged.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Given how much stuff was in the Blood Bowl box, and that was pretty reasonably priced, I'm hopeful that Quest won't be too silly. I'll probably be getting it anyway though - as has been said, the models are just really interesting.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm on board as well for Cursed City -- it'll be the first big GW purchase I'll have made since the early 2000s. Just hoping there aren't any supply issues when it does go on sale, since the demand for it seems really high.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Warhammer Underworlds questions - I've not played for a long time and not bought anything since the Grymwatch (didn't get the Beastgrave Core Set since those didn't appeal to me very much). I have a few Shadespire and Nighthaunt warbands, and their coresets, but not a full range. If I wanted to get back in with Direchasm, where should I start? Is there anything I am safe to get rid of/ignore from past seasons?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Just buy what looks cool to you, in my opinion. If you start playing and find you really need certain cards to fit your strategy, either proxy them or buy the warband that comes with it depending on whether there is other stuff you wanted or if the minis appeal.

I'm pretty burned out on the Gotta Catch Em All treadmill for Underworlds, so I'm just sitting back to chill with the Warbands that I want to paint and accepting that I won't have all the optimal cards.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Warhammer Underworlds questions - I've not played for a long time and not bought anything since the Grymwatch (didn't get the Beastgrave Core Set since those didn't appeal to me very much). I have a few Shadespire and Nighthaunt warbands, and their coresets, but not a full range. If I wanted to get back in with Direchasm, where should I start? Is there anything I am safe to get rid of/ignore from past seasons?

Well, the thing is that with each new season, GW tweaks/adds/removes the rules, so you're going to want to at least try to get your hands on the Direchasm rulebook to know what is current (I really wish GW would just post each season's core book online as a PDF, but we all know they would never do that.) Other than that, if you don't care about the core universals or board, you can skip it. However, I will say that the warbands in Direchasm go for about $35 - $40 each on Ebay, so if you really wanted to, you could pick up the core box, flip the warbands, and have the rules, universals, and boards for next to nothing, if not free (you gotta be shrewd in this here hobby of ours...)

As for getting rid of stuff, bear in mind that the previous season is always in play, and cards from older seasons are still valid as long as the text matches the current edition's card - for example, if Duel of Wits in both Shadespire and Direchasm both say "Reaction: Play this when an opponent plays a ploy. Draw two power cards." then the old, technically depreciated Shadespire card is still a valid, playable card.

Also, if you play the Relic format (i.e. usually non-competitive format, though there there are Relic competitions) you can use any non-banned card from any set.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

As for getting rid of stuff, bear in mind that the previous season is always in play, and cards from older seasons are still valid as long as the text matches the current edition's card - for example, if Duel of Wits in both Shadespire and Direchasm both say "Reaction: Play this when an opponent plays a ploy. Draw two power cards." then the old, technically depreciated Shadespire card is still a valid, playable card.
They don't even have to have the same text, you just play the old cards as if they have the newest wording. It's pretty good.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is there a good third party reseller (USA) for GW box sets like that, or are you folks just getting direct from GW?

I'm interested in Cursed City as well but I literally haven't bought a GW product from a retailer in over a decade.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 25, 2021

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

They don't even have to have the same text, you just play the old cards as if they have the newest wording. It's pretty good.

This is true, but for clarity's sake, I prefer to use the card if the text matches. That keeps it clear for both me and whoever is sitting across the table. (Though, honestly, the phrasing usually isn't too far off anyway.)

Crackbone posted:

Is there a good third party reseller (USA) for GW box sets like that, or are you folks just getting direct from GW?

I'm interested in Cursed City as well but I literally haven't bought a GW product from a retailer in over a decade.
Ebay will usually get you at least 15% off, and there are a few online retailers that will do the same. There are some who will go lower than that, from what I understand, but you have to ask around - they don't advertise publicly for fear of GW shutting them down for exceeding the maximum markdown.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, the thing is that with each new season, GW tweaks/adds/removes the rules, so you're going to want to at least try to get your hands on the Direchasm rulebook to know what is current (I really wish GW would just post each season's core book online as a PDF, but we all know they would never do that.)
They do! (Via the "Warhammer Underworlds" site, then "the game".) For Direchasm, it's missing the Primacy rules, since those are only on a card, oddly enough, but they do always have the most current rulebook up there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

They do! (Via the "Warhammer Underworlds" site, then "the game".) For Direchasm, it's missing the Primacy rules, since those are only on a card, oddly enough, but they do always have the most current rulebook up there.

Well, poo poo. I had no idea they were doing this. Good on them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr.Booger posted:

ya, but it's been awhile, and the Adeptus Titanicus box, and the last Necromunda box both were well over it, so i'm not holding my breathe. Still going to pick it up as haughty noble vampires is my jam, but I am prepared to get gouged.

Blackstone Fortress the previous one is 180 CAD, and did not come out too long ago.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Blackstone Fortress the previous one is 180 CAD, and did not come out too long ago.

We will see what 2 1/2 years does to the price, again, I will be super happy under 200, and buying it either way, just cautious.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
So far I've mostly been keeping an eye on cursed city just because the models own but are these games good to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Baumann posted:

So far I've mostly been keeping an eye on cursed city just because the models own but are these games good to play?

They have improved each one. Black stone was quite fun, but was a bit exploitable