Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I have only just found this thread and am slowly reading through it but need to point out that Damien Sandow ruled loving so much (even before the Mizdow stuff which also ruled) and I stopped watching wrestling after he got hosed over cause it made me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Also what happened to that British goth chick who was supposed to be marrying someone but there were videos of her getting spit roasted by 2 dudes while holding her newly won belt?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

there was what now

that was definitely not in Fighting With My Family

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Further, I’m on page 17 and Eclipse12 is totally thread MVP with the recaps.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Also what happened to that British goth chick who was supposed to be marrying someone but there were videos of her getting spit roasted by 2 dudes while holding her newly won belt?

Paige was engaged to Alberto Del Rio but he was an abusive wanker and they eventually broke up and she's now with Ronnie Radke, the singer from Falling in Reverse. She got a major neck injury in 2018 and had to retire and now she's mostly a Twitch streamer

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Rarity posted:

Paige was engaged to Alberto Del Rio but he was an abusive wanker and they eventually broke up and she's now with Ronnie Radke, the singer from Falling in Reverse. She got a major neck injury in 2018 and had to retire and now she's mostly a Twitch streamer

Well that is a happy ending indeed. :)

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo that rules.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo that rules.

Yeah that's some heel promo all right.

My big problem with AEW is that when you're getting into it, the main card seems to consist of one stable of douchy white bros in tacky blazer jackets, another stable of douchy white bros in slightly different tacky blazer jackets and probably a few more douchy white guy bro blazer stables.

I wouldn't say I'd like to see a return to the days of Doink the Clown, but man...

Luckily there's a ton of really good workers in the promotion, so even if you don't give a poo poo about White Guy in Blazer feuding with Another White Guy in Slightly Different Blazer, there's a ton of great matches to enjoy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey now there are also various stables of very tough muscly men.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that john cena's big move that he would hit and win after thirty straight minutes of being beaten with clubs is basically just a fireman's carry, a move in fact designed per its name to unhurt people who would otherwise be hurt

Did you miss the part where any ordinary move with a name becomes 10x as strong?

The Big Show's finisher was a literal punch for a decade, they called it weapon of mass destruction therefore it was a finisher

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I have only just found this thread and am slowly reading through it but need to point out that Damien Sandow ruled loving so much (even before the Mizdow stuff which also ruled) and I stopped watching wrestling after he got hosed over cause it made me sad.

As bad as Sandow got hosed over, towards the end, he killed his good will with this forum thanks to his appearances on Xavier Woods' Up Up Down Down show. The show was mostly about wrestlers hanging out out of character and playing video games, which in turn made everyone so much more likeable. Sandow decided that instead of that, he would hang out while pretending to be a tryhard white rapper and it was the worst.

Then after he left WWE, he went to TNA as :aronrex: and had gained quite a bit of weight. It was rough.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wouldn't say I'd like to see a return to the days of Doink the Clown, but man...

Which was "better"? Angry, cheating, rear end in a top hat Doink or happy, goofy, family friendly Doink (+Dink)?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah that's some heel promo all right.

My big problem with AEW is that when you're getting into it, the main card seems to consist of one stable of douchy white bros in tacky blazer jackets, another stable of douchy white bros in slightly different tacky blazer jackets and probably a few more douchy white guy bro blazer stables.

Luckily there's a ton of really good workers in the promotion, so even if you don't give a poo poo about White Guy in Blazer feuding with Another White Guy in Slightly Different Blazer, there's a ton of great matches to enjoy.

To be fair there's also a wrestling dentist, a butcher and his kinky friends, a woman who believes she's an alien, a woman who believes she's a zombie, Tarzan and his large adult dinosaur, a goofy cult, a drunk cowboy, the I like turtles kid, a wrestler who hates having to wrestle, whatever Matt Hardy is doing this week, a stable of twitch streamers and however you'd describe the lucha bros.

AEW is far closer to early 90s "everyone has an identity" WWF than WWE is.

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 24, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A clown makes the most sense out of any of the early 90s "job" gimmicks because wrestling is inherently such a carny sideshow business. Although by that logic Kizarney should have worked like an absolute charm, and he did not.

Evil Doink, by the way, but for the 90s, not for today when the whole evil clown thing is so prevalent that friendly clown is the subversion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

blunt posted:

To be fair there's also a wrestling dentist, a butcher and his kinky friends, a woman who believes she's an alien, a woman who believes she's a zombie, Tarzan and his large adult dinosaur, a goofy cult, a drunk cowboy, the I like turtles kid, a wrestler who hates having to wrestle, whatever Matt Hardy is doing this week, a stable of twitch streamers and however you'd describe the lucha bros.

You forgot the dinosaur

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

You forgot the dinosaur

Ahem.

quote:

Tarzan and his large adult dinosaur

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:doh:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

blunt posted:

the I like turtles kid
lmao

They grow up so fast.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/RealDDP/status/1374531592023121923?s=19

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
anyone remember FAT gently caress BARREL BOY?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yall wanna see Rhyno and some other idk dude beating the poo poo out of eachother in Violent J's kitchen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQSrAAmqzk

pizza disc

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I neither do nor in the future want to remember FAT gently caress BARREL BOY.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Although by that logic Kizarney should have worked like an absolute charm, and he did not.

I don't think kizarny was given a chance to get over

they wouldn't let him do any of the cool freakshow tricks he knew from actually growing up in the carnival like drinking thumbtacks and breathing fire and poo poo, didn't let him speak in anything but carny which just meant nobody could understand him, debuted him as a face, and let him go after two months

it was a pretty typical "vince staples a wrestler's feet together then fires them for not being able to dance" run

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

frankenfreak posted:

I neither do nor in the future want to remember FAT gently caress BARREL BOY.

aw come on, everyone loves FAT gently caress BARREL BOY

He's just havin' fun!

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

:five::five::five:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:vince:

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

blunt posted:

AEW is far closer to early 90s "everyone has an identity" WWF than WWE is.

The lucha bros are "violent skeleton ninja" and his brother "No, those moves are not physically possible."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

blunt posted:

Sure but I'd argue that's not the top main event roster, but I'll admit I may be wrong about this since I have been watching AEW for a short time only.

Also, it's probably not a coincidence that the women's matches, tag team matches and not-main-events that I find myself fully watching and paying attention to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Completely par for the course for wrestling that the midcard has all the interesting characters and goofy stories while the main event scene is Very Serious and features largely interchangable dudes (although AEW is ahead of the curve by a great amount there, between Moxley and Omega and all).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Sure but I'd argue that's not the top main event roster, but I'll admit I may be wrong about this since I have been watching AEW for a short time only.

Of the list I'd say Hangman and the Lucha Bros both count as main event talent

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Honestly, I'm a little peeved that Rey Fenix keeps getting beaten by Kenny Omega. That is bullshit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Of the list I'd say Hangman and the Lucha Bros both count as main event talent

Yeah, Hangman isn't currently in the title picture, but I'd consider him to be the protagonist of AEW.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, it's probably not a coincidence that the women's matches, tag team matches and not-main-events that I find myself fully watching and paying attention to.

I guess it depends whether you're talking about main event as in the AEW title feud or who's in the main event of dynamite each week.

If it's the former then of the three champions so far there's some similarity between Jericho and Omega, but between them was 10 months of Jon Moxley who isn't exactly a blazer wearing too cool douche with a stable, and the only people he fought in that period that would hit your criteria were MJF and Omega.

If it's about the main event of TV, last week was the dentist, the week before was turtles kid, the week before that was drunk cowboy, the week before that was lucha bros etc.

One of the biggest things I like about AEW is how they constantly cycle people in and out of TV instead of making a show with the same 12 people for 6 months at a time.

Anyway, what I'm saying is give it another chance if you're inclined, it's really fun TV.

blunt fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 24, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

blunt posted:

What I'm saying is give it another chance if you're inclined, it's really fun TV.

Oh yeah, I've been watching for a few weeks now and really enjoying it. The matches are excellent even though I'm having a hard time caring about the world title scene.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh yeah, I've been watching for a few weeks now and really enjoying it. The matches are excellent even though I'm having a hard time caring about the world title scene.

(Im really bored of Kenny Omega and the
Good bros too. Solidarity!)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

blunt posted:

(Im really bored of Kenny Omega and the
Good bros too. Solidarity!)

Same! That said, it's going to be sweet (too sweet, even) when Hangman finally gets his shot

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Go home and be a family macho man!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

verbal enema posted:

yall wanna see Rhyno and some other idk dude beating the poo poo out of eachother in Violent J's kitchen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQSrAAmqzk

pizza disc

drat, Rhyno's a thicc jawn. He makes that kitchen look like a forced perspective room or something.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

New Raw Report tomorrow probably. Work's been busy but I start a vacation tomorrow:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Animal-Mother posted:

Go home and be a family macho man!

I would have gone with "I will meditate and then destroy you" but yours works too.