Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think there's a bit of a sanity gap between using a gun to protect yourself and "made a show of loading it right in front of her", but what do I know I'm an east coast lib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Look if you have to get into the crawlspace really fast you just use this one weird trick American homeowners use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlj8c2xXC0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

Hi, welcome to America, we have guns here.

Honestly, not the gun I would've chosen (Mostly because I only have one gun), but a real solid choice. .22 doesn't have much power, so you're not going to damage much beyond the rat

Tell that to all the non-Americans who have been quite successfully murdered with .22s because it's the only kind of gun allowed, why don't you. You imbecile. You moron. You liberal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You're supposed to toss stun grenades before you breach the crawl space

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"`One time, I was a little kid, we were squatting. It was down by the Hudson, and those rats, man, they were big. It's the chemicals get into them. Big as I was, and all night one had been scrabbling under the floor of the squat. Round dawn somebody brought this old man in, seams down his cheeks and his eyes all red. Had a roll of greasy leather like you'd keep steel tools in, to keep the rust off. Spread it out, had this old revolver and three shells. Old man, he puts one bullet in there, then he starts walking up and down the squat, we're hanging back by the walls.
`Back and forth. Got his arms crossed, head down, like he's forgotten the gun. Listening for the rat. We got real quiet. Old man takes a step. Rat moves. Rat moves, he takes another step. An hour of that, then he seems to remember his gun. Points it at the floor, grins, and pulls the trigger. Rolled it back up and left.
`I crawled under there later. Rat had a hole between its eyes.' "

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dillbag posted:

That being said, a single mother friend was hearing weird noises under the floors at night in a rental house. She started finding dolls and toys hung on her fence shortly after.
That's the point where I start calling every ghostbuster in the state because this house is ultrahaunted.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

We had an opossum get in under the house and was making a hell of a racket. After the squirrel the previous summer had chewed through the electric and managed to electrify the aluminum siding with its body, I didn't want any more critters. I called Animal Control and they said they could drop off a live trap in a few days, week or so maybe, and then get it a couple of weeks later if I got anything. I worked nights and didn't really want this animal scratching at the underside of the house while I tried to sleep, so I went to talk with the neighbor.

I told the neighbor there was an opossum under my house and did he have a trap? He said he didn't, so I asked if it would be OK if I shot the thing. "Don't be too noisy with it and I don't think anyone will care" he says. After all, who reports gunshots on a weekday morning?

So I got my .22 pistol with a red dot sight and a flashlight and opened the crawlspace. Flashlight showed two sets of eyes, so I took aim at the upper set and fired. The eyes disappeared and there was much thrashing. Some more probing with the light and I didn't see any more eyes, so I ventured alllll the way to the back corner of the house where I found a shot opossum in a puddle of water caused by condensate dripping off the vent where he'd torn the insulation away.

So I stuff the guy into a plastic bag and tie it, then stuff that in another bag and tie it. I then drop the whole plastic-wrapped mess into the garbage can and go inside to finally go to sleep.

I had forgotten it was trash day. That opossum was double-bagged inside a black plastic trash can in the summer sun for a week. After about 5 days, I took the can down to the curb because the smell was already getting pretty serious. When the trash guys finally dumped the bin, it stayed on the curb, open, for a while before my wife would let it back near the house. It was a smell you could feel in your mouth. Feel behind your eyes. It was intense.

That is my "I can shoot things and get away with it because I'm American" story.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I know you guys are really excited to tell the tales of times you shot harmless animals because they were noisy but you think we could take a break from talking about killing things for a bit in this thread?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

BonerGhost posted:

I know you guys are really excited to tell the tales of times you shot harmless animals because they were noisy but you think we could take a break from talking about killing things for a bit in this thread?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BonerGhost posted:

Also, don't kill possums. They're resistant to rabies and eat pests like ticks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This thread epitomizes this moment from Always Sunny right now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/mbloomstein/status/1374709572636655619

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Questions are technically already answered by the sign.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Questions are technically already answered by the sign.

Not necessarily. Sure, the place isn't haunted, but is it cursed? Possessed? Built on a pet cemetery with killer zombie animals roaming the grounds? Next door neighbors are a coven of evil witches? A lot of paranormal situations aren't strictly covered by haunting alone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NOT HAUNTED. All the weird things the previous residents experienced weren't caused by anything supernatural, it was just the all american creeper who lives next door. Certified alive! If you find personal items being moved around, creepy dolls you don't own in your house, or your clothes stretched out in weird ways between washes you don't need to call an exorcist, you just need to change your locks again.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Americans worry about their house being haunted because it’s the only pest they can’t shoot away.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also, don't kill possums. They're resistant to rabies and eat pests like ticks.

I didn't know that at the time :(

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ashcans posted:

Americans worry about their house being haunted because it’s the only pest they can’t shoot away.

Time to invest in research for ectoplasm bullets. I'll be rich!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There are only two reasons I can think of:

1) Literally haunted

2) There's a plaque on the hot tub that reads "B. S. Johnson".

3) Fecal Lasagna.

Have we forgotten our beloved terrible stdh.txt goon stories of yesteryear?

edit hello new page oops.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ashcans posted:

If only there was someone they could call.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Found, like so many, on Reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS3fERQj6OE

What is this "Fire Code" you speak of?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tell that to all the non-Americans who have been quite successfully murdered with .22s because it's the only kind of gun allowed, why don't you. You imbecile. You moron. You liberal.

.22 LR has a lethal range of about 300 meters though it's quite hard to aim because it goes rainbow at about 150 meters.

.22 kills just fine. It doesn't kill quickly at that range, but it can still kill you fine. My buddy and I used to shoot at dinner plate targets at 150 yards all the time. We also used to shoot at quater-mile targets. At that point you're going for man-sized. At that range you're aiming about 15 feet above the target but you can hit it once you're used to the rifle.

If you want no penetration but want to kill a little thing, number 9 bird shot, 20 gauge is pretty drat safe. At 100 feet that doesn't even break the skin. No good for self defense, but kills small woodland creatures fine.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Jows
May 8, 2002

No way someone did that.

https://i.imgur.com/okp66FD.mp4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

loving :lmao:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

NOT HAUNTED. All the weird things the previous residents experienced weren't caused by anything supernatural, it was just the all american creeper who lives next door. Certified alive! If you find personal items being moved around, creepy dolls you don't own in your house, or your clothes stretched out in weird ways between washes you don't need to call an exorcist, you just need to change your locks again.

A terrified man, curled up in the corner in the fetal position, after realizing his house isn't haunted. That spooky creaking - a floor joist settling onto a subsiding pile. The arrhythmic hissing - a water supply tee slowly disintegrating. Hideous moaning - windwhistle in termite holes. Ghoul rattling it's chains? - A Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panel lid, clanking in the wind.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

An image so terrifying none of my browsers will show it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jaguars! posted:

A terrified man, curled up in the corner in the fetal position, after realizing his house isn't haunted. That spooky creaking - a floor joist settling onto a subsiding pile. The arrhythmic hissing - a water supply tee slowly disintegrating. Hideous moaning - windwhistle in termite holes. Ghoul rattling it's chains? - A Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panel lid, clanking in the wind.

I would actually watch a movie with that premise. Impressionable young new homeowner moves into spooky house, discovers each new haunting has a completely mundane, yet still hazardous, explanation, fixes them with the help of a friendly neighbor who works as a contractor. Stinger is talking with some of his local coworkers about all this, and someone goes "Uh... we haven't had a local contractor in this town for years, the last guy died in an electrical accident in the house next to yours."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I had to stare a good 30 seconds before my brain processed what I was looking at.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Not sure I'd call that an inline grinder but :drat:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX-eOYV0j4A&t=4s

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Warmachine posted:

I had to stare a good 30 seconds before my brain processed what I was looking at.

It's incredibly grody, but points for ingenuity, I think - it probably kind of works?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A normal disposal drains out the bottom. This one does not, and instead creates a lovely little habitat. Any time you run it it’ll just mix things up and probably warm the slurry a little from the motor. Any puréed material will simply settle to the bottom. I can only imagine the smells coming up out of that sink. It is literally a miniature septic tank.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 25, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bad Munki posted:

A normal disposal drains out the bottom. This one does not, and instead creates a lovely little habitat. Any time you run it it’ll just mix things up and probably warm the slurry a little from the motor. Any puréed material will simply settle to the bottom. I can only imagine the smells coming up out of that sink. It is literally a miniature septic tank.

it almost looks like they could have set the bottom of the drain pipe lower so that the "fresh" waste would push up the old, settled material to help make its way to the drain. Not that it still wouldn't be a bad idea.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SourKraut posted:

it almost looks like they could have set the bottom of the drain pipe lower so that the "fresh" waste would push up the old, settled material to help make its way to the drain. Not that it still wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quit trying to make that superfund disposal work! A strainer is all you need to keep food going down the drain.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Computer viking posted:

It's incredibly grody, but points for ingenuity, I think - it probably kind of works?

It's grody to the max

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dareon posted:

I would actually watch a movie with that premise. Impressionable young new homeowner moves into spooky house, discovers each new haunting has a completely mundane, yet still hazardous, explanation, fixes them with the help of a friendly neighbor who works as a contractor. Stinger is talking with some of his local coworkers about all this, and someone goes "Uh... we haven't had a local contractor in this town for years, the last guy died in an electrical accident in the house next to yours."

There was a post long ago about a guy who was convinced his house was haunted. Stuff kept moving around that he didn't remember moving, despite being the only one ever in the house. Kept escalating until he found a note on his keyboard in his handwriting he didn't write.

Turned out what was really happening was a horrendous carbon monoxide buildup was making him lose time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
that was on r/legaladvice, of all places

first thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/34l7vo/ma_postit_notes_left_in_apartment/

update: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/34m92h/update_ma_postit_notes_left_in_apartment/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OP had impaired brain function months later.

but a couple years later:

quote:

I'm doing really, really well.

A non-disclosure stipulation in the settlement prohibits me from bringing up new information related to the original post, so I can't offer too much closure with specifics.
I can say that I'm doing well!

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 26, 2021