Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

prayer group posted:

So... how the hell do I play this game? I've never played a Monster Hunter game before and my friends told me I should check out the Rise demo. I can see how there's a lot to dig into and figure out here, but the game just seemed completely disinterested in teaching me how to play it. I can run up and swing my weapon, I can do the little recovery Wirebug technique when you get hit, and I can do the Silk-thing where you do a cool aerial Wirebug attack but that's all I've figured out. Is there a dodge/roll thing or do I have to keep laboriously putting away my weapon and running away? What are all these crazy additional mechanics that the individual weapons have? I played Dual Blades and killed a few things without realizing there's a Demon Mode or something? And I guess there's a counter mechanic?? Basically my point is, if there's more to combat than walking up and pressing X then I don't know and the game won't tell me.

World had a combat training area which gave you some more guidance on the weapons, including prompts showing up onscreen for various combos and such. So presumably that will be in the full game.
Beyond that there is detailed info in the hunter notes section, but really your best bet is watching some youtube videos. Seeing the mechanics in motion will make a lot more sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9sOvw1Kz5s
This video gives a good overview of each weapon and how they play, check out his tutorials on specific weapons that you are interested in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is the kind of game where you have to actually go hit a training dummy for an hour to even start to get the hang of a weapon so don't worry about it too much. The demos are much more for returning players than new ones.

People say this, but I've been able to pick up on a weapon in a few minutes after watching a 20 - 30 minute youtube guide like Arektz or Gaijin Hunter

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay, reassuring to hear that I'm not a total dipshit and the full game will actually teach me these things. I have full faith that I'll be able to boot up the game, play some tutorial stuff and learn why in the world this game has two different weapons that are swords that turn into axes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lance feels like lugging around a 200 pound backpack in mud

And then one day it clicks and you're an unstoppable angry bear wearing spiked armor and never, ever giving the poor monster a chance to catch a breather as you relentlessly stab stab and stab again

I stopped lancing because it's unfair to the mons and I am an honorable hoonter

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

prayer group posted:

Okay, reassuring to hear that I'm not a total dipshit and the full game will actually teach me these things. I have full faith that I'll be able to boot up the game, play some tutorial stuff and learn why in the world this game has two different weapons that are swords that turn into axes.

That's because one is an axe that turns into a sword and the other is a sword that turns into an axe. Also they both involve phials and charging mechanics, and both charging mechanics are very distinct from one another despite using very similar language. Also, despite the sword that turns into an axe being a sword and shield, it is very different from the sword and shield, which would probably be better named as knife and buckler.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

People say this, but I've been able to pick up on a weapon in a few minutes after watching a 20 - 30 minute youtube guide like Arektz or Gaijin Hunter

I'm actually dumb as poo poo, because I just realized this is after putting over 300hrs into the series...

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

prayer group posted:

I've played a bunch of MH games at this point, but even now it's still 100% mandatory for me to watch a GaijinHunter tutorial on any weapon I pick up--even if it was something I mained previously. Every weapon is incredibly deep, but that depth is usually really hard to parse from trial and error playing alone

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm excited for modern Dual Blades bullshit. It'll be a very different way of playing the game than Lancing. Like, stark opposite probably. Should be fun!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm actually dumb as poo poo, because I just realized this is after putting over 300hrs into the series...

I feel like an idiot every time I pick up the game and I've put hundreds of hours into the series over many games

You can use a weapon (and succeed) running at like 25-50%

The extra headroom gives you space to improve or style on monsters, even after dozens of hours with a weapon

Monhams good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I am going to get the physical release because I hate having to manage save data on my Switch but also so I do not stay up until 5am playing on Friday morning. Very unfortunate

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I never got into a lot of the tech of the weapons with Iceborne

I'm noticing on the Iai Spirit slash I'm seeing in videos something that seems really good.

The person had lvl 1 spirit gauge, and does an Iai Spirit Slash. They successfully counter, and it turned yellow. Since they had some of the gauge filled, they were able to use Spirit Slash 3 + Spirit Roundslash. So the combo took them from level 1 to 3. Is that right or am I mixing something up? Seems really good.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I am going to get the physical release because I hate having to manage save data on my Switch but also so I do not stay up until 5am playing on Friday morning. Very unfortunate

Are you talking about game data or your save files? Because the latter is saved on your Switch no matter whether you go digital or physical.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Alxprit posted:

I'm excited for modern Dual Blades bullshit. It'll be a very different way of playing the game than Lancing. Like, stark opposite probably. Should be fun!

I think I'm maining DB in rise with Lance as my second choice.
People think they're different but actually they're equally as mobile, the only difference is Lance mains deserve great reverence and celebration, whereas Dual Blades pickers are invariably Monster Energy chugging degenerates

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excuse me it is called Mega Dash Juice.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Excuse me it is called Mega Dash Juice.

i accidentally drank bone hurting juice instead and now nakarkos won't stop following me please send help

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I happened across a Twitch stream of someone playing the full game and they were live for a few hours and they just now got nuked. Never seen a live banning before. :lol:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

tote up a bags posted:

I think I'm maining DB in rise with Lance as my second choice.
People think they're different but actually they're equally as mobile, the only difference is Lance mains deserve great reverence and celebration, whereas Dual Blades pickers are invariably Monster Energy chugging degenerates

DB pickers are still better than Longsword pickers. Though soon we'll all poo poo on Hunting Horn mains as they become the new LS. Then World Horn peeps can be smug about using it back when it was cool and obscure.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shine posted:

DB pickers are still better than Longsword pickers. Though soon we'll all poo poo on Hunting Horn mains as they become the new LS. Then World Horn peeps can be smug about using it back when it was cool and obscure.

afaik new hh doesnt trip the poo poo out of everyone so they still won't be hated as much.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Magna Kaser posted:

afaik new hh doesnt trip the poo poo out of everyone so they still won't be hated as much.

That's a solid point. At least Horn spam will throw buffs around.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4eiBNYZ_Ko

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Worth watching:

Yeah.

Looks like Savage Axe is on a timer like the Condensed Slash it replaces, maybe even the same 45s. Instead of being tied to having filled phials. Neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh drat some real good pro tips there to pick up on early. Especially the Argosy and tree free items. And the great wirebugs. Honestly it’s all good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Being able to skip low rank online if you finish the story is a great change.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Me watching that entire video

Getting this uploaded to give someone as an avatar

If you wanted to watch an anime girl streamer play MonHun today's the day for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJj3CO_YR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcAELhyswzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-gJsqXO_wM

Amp fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 25, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

he mentions elders in this so maybe they're in this game already?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait, I thought CB's savage axe mode was gone?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

he mentions elders in this so maybe they're in this game already?

It's just gonna be Kushala, you can never escape the tornados.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

wait, I thought CB's savage axe mode was gone?

We just thought it was for awhile because it wasn't in the demo but its back in the form of a switch skill

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

which wirebug attacks have i-frames? i've seen people go through roars with certain ones and also with the hh r2 attack.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean, what if they learned some bad lessons from World, and Rise is missing some of the weird ancillary nonsense. The combat looks amazing but we haven't heard anything about there being several layered systems surrounding leveling up your submarine dogs or the weird mechanics nobody actually knows about until they've played 100 hours and then randomly see someone in the thread talking about ...

OK, nevermind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MMF Freeway posted:

We just thought it was for awhile because it wasn't in the demo but its back in the form of a switch skill

switch skill? you mean the wirebug actions?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

switch skill? you mean the wirebug actions?

You get to pick two wirebug moves and one switch skill move, which replaces one part of a weapon's moveset with another. I could be wrong but for CB I think you give up charged sword for savage axe

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Getting this uploaded to give someone as an avatar

hope it’s me

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hope it’s me

You're the first person to ask and you posted it, so if you would like to have it as an avatar, it is yours.

e: check your PMs so we can talk about tags, text, etc...

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

someone should make a dope monster hunter gang tag btw

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MMF Freeway posted:

You get to pick two wirebug moves and one switch skill move, which replaces one part of a weapon's moveset with another. I could be wrong but for CB I think you give up charged sword for savage axe

They were talking about it some in the pre-release video footage. For HH - you have a switch skill to go back to the old HH method of performing songs :catstare:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

DeathSandwich posted:

They were talking about it some in the pre-release video footage. For HH - you have a switch skill to go back to the old HH method of performing songs :catstare:

I'm back in.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DeathSandwich posted:

yeah that's a good thing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The so tasty one is probably still hosted on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted: