Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ええ、いいな〜

there's one tree across the street from our current apartment that is going kaboom and attracting a lot of cell phone pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Went to Meiji jingu today, wasn't too many out. Some random temple in harajuku had heaps going. Took the past few days off work but going back tomorrow, there's a nice park on my bike to work.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
All along the Kandagawa is fully sick right now.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Sakura season's probably a little less busy with no international tourists around, right?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

Sakura season's probably a little less busy with no international tourists around, right?

dunno i don't think anyone in here is in kyoto

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Archer666 posted:

we'll see how the COVID numbers look in two weeks!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

we'll see how the COVID numbers look in two weeks!

lol yeah, i was thinking that too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

lol yeah, i was thinking that too.

it was 420 :420: today and that was spread during a 'state of emergency'

hanami gonna throw the doors wide loving open again

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

This is from a day or so ago, it was even better today.

Looks lovely :)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Archer666 posted:

Goddamnit I thought I'd be there around this time two years ago.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Same here man. I was even in the final rounds of talks for 2 jobs over there when they closed the border the first time. It was the worst possible timing lol

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Archer666 posted:

Same here man. I was even in the final rounds of talks for 2 jobs over there when they closed the border the first time. It was the worst possible timing lol

Same, but internal temporary assignment and I had just filled out my visa application.

To China... which is geographically very close, at least, but oh so far from being Japan.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Stringent posted:

dunno i don't think anyone in here is in kyoto

I was in Kyoto the past few days. There was basically nobody at Kinkakuji, or anywhere else, for that matter. Super chill, and the sakura are blooming.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Business of Ferrets posted:

I was in Kyoto the past few days. There was basically nobody at Kinkakuji, or anywhere else, for that matter. Super chill, and the sakura are blooming.

Nice.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

I know if feels like two, but the border only closed one year ago.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Kyoto's slightly busier than it has been but nowhere near pre-COVID levels. Strap in for Wave 4 though friends.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait to be a dumb waste-of-space tourist again :(

Spent most of 2020 and early 2021 watching "walking around X" Japanese youtubes and it kind of fills the void in a surface-scratching way.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Rambalac (and similar) videos are good for that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rambalac is good, there's this guy who mainly wanders around and throiugh train stations and their surrounding neighbourhoods and rides the trains on occasion, Nippon Wandering TV is also one I'm subscribed to.

Then there's just videos of random poo poo I miss about Japan like this channel that features random hole in the wall restaurants.

I'm actually subscribed to a bunch of Japanese motovlogs too. Can't say I understand 99% of what they say but it's fun watching them ride motorcycles around okinawa or tokyo or wherever.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Hahah Rambalac is the one that got me started watching these types of videos too. Now I’m subscribed to four or five channels of it.

:sigh: November 2022...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rambalac fell off a bit when he went into the countryside for nearly a year. However, he's gotten better and now has two 5,000 dollar video cameras for low light. Over the years, for walking videos, I have added Bangkok69, Lazy Tourist, Nippon Wandering TV, Nomadic Ambiance, POPtravel, Street View Travel, Tokyo Explorer, Virtual Japan and a few others (though they don't focus on Asia as much).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m literally sitting here watching some dude walking through Yodobashi Akiba with a camera for 22 minutes and I love every minute of it.

I’m a dumb dumb tourist so I spent a lot of time in Yodobashi because there was always so much to see and it was super overwhelming. Like when I wanted to relax I walked around Tokyo — when I wanted to jam as much HOLY poo poo I’M IN JAPAN in my eyeballs I would spend 20 minutes walking through any Yodobashi.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
just starting laughing imagining one of my coworkers here watching videos of dudes walking around walmart or something.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BB2K posted:

just starting laughing imagining one of my coworkers here watching videos of dudes walking around walmart or something.

lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
You guys might enjoy some of my friends’ stuff:

https://instagram.com/cyclingninja?igshid=mw8khpn7tj42
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7hMaqgJOYUJ0hjVrnElzVQ

He cycled the entire coast of Japan and is uploading days and days of video. A bit more cut up than the walking vids etc but a lot of good sights and content.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BB2K posted:

gonna make it big with chest mounted gopro footage making [12 hours of browsing twitter while "at work"] videos

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Phone posted:

gonna make it big with chest mounted gopro footage making [12 hours of browsing twitter while "at work"] videos

You joke but there’s some incredibly popular “study stream” YouTubers et al

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just let the algorithm tell me which Abroad in Japan/Creative Tokyo video to watch.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

BB2K posted:

My wife has absolutely watched videos of people shopping at Trader Joe's.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yeeeep. Seeing different places is interesting to people. What's normal to one person is weirdo and interesting to another.

My former uni schoolmates who became cabin attendants are regularly getting 10k+ views making videos literally just going to Starbucks and H&M and poo poo in the US.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
トイレの使い方は心のかがみ

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Abroad in Japan is finally answering the question that matters to us all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M400lV0GNV4

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
whenever i see/hear about that guys channel, i think hes gonna be a girl

a broad in japan

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Instead you get the most annoying jvlogger, how disappointing.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Instead you get the most annoying jvlogger, how disappointing.

He’s not even close.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
yeah thats a big call

i know in person at least 3 more annoying jvloggers than him

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I must somehow have avoided the rest.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
He's...not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Every now and then I watch another one of his videos, and he's a bit too cranky and judgmental for my taste. I prefer seeing people enjoying what they're experiencing, personally. It's not like he's constantly like that, but it's just enough to irk me.

It probably doesn't help that I tend to do most of my youtube watching in the couple hours between taking edibles for sleep and actually falling asleep. So he's a buzzkill. But the walk around videos? GodDAMN those hit the happy spots of my brain when I'm high.