Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Sanford posted:

My pharmacist has just told me to go and book my first vaccine "because I'm acting as a carer so I should get it ASAP". I've followed the link he gave me but it is covered with warning saying IF YOU ARE NOT OLD ENOUGH AND DON'T HAVE AN INVITE LETTER WE WILL SEND YOU AWAY. He says it will "be fine" but I'm worried about being thrown in Covid jail. Does anyone have any advice/experience on this point? This vaccine centre (in Chesterfield) seems to have hundreds of availabke appointments over the next few days so it doesn't seem they're overwhelmed.

Get in touch with your GP and explain that you're a carer and they should sort you out. At least back in the distant days of February when we were booking ours, the GP was the Source of All Jab Invitations.

E: whoops top of page, teach me to post so much lately, here's a pic of Ish enjoying the stack of beanbags behind the sofa

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

EVs don’t!

When my car is in electric mode it still uses gears. I don’t know why a different source of power would obviate the need for gearing. One great thing about EVs is that you get full torque instantly. Plus they gliiiiide.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the point is that electric motors do not require gears because they are normally very high torque anyway, and can't stall, because they are not contingent on operating at a minimum speed like a combustion engine. A stationary electric motor will still output a lot of force if you supply electricity to it, whereas an ICE needs to be running all the time and you draw off power using a clutch (but not so much as to actually stop the engine)

If you have a hybrid car it will need a gearbox anyway so you might as well use it, and also your electric engine might be smaller than a pure electric car.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 25, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

learnincurve posted:

It’s not a hatred of London, it’s a hatred of the fact that they get a nationalised and awesome public transport system, when the rest of the country is told how impossible it is to even get a combination bus and train weekly ticket.

That’s before you even get in to the cost of a train ticket to go to all of the free museums and galleries London has. (What will super piss northern people off more is when some melt points at a lovely gallery in Manchester and goes “what you complaining about you have that”)

I bet you 50p London hate way less in places like the half of Sheffield with the supertram or York with the national transport museum for example.

This is not an argument to give London less, but to fix the northern transport system.

:allears:
The most correct post in history.

National spending per head on London: 12% more than the North or the Midlands.

And that doesn’t even include arts or transport infrastructure.
Crossrail 2: £40+ billion and counting.
Total spending on mass transit and tram projects in all other UK cities put together, in the same period... less.

6 of the top 10 biggest cities in the UK have no mass transit at all.

Birmingham is trying to build a tram network, but only gets funding to build about an extra mile of track every 5 years.

Maugrim posted:

Yeah good point. When I chose automatic I had half an eye on the fully-electric future but the cost prevented me from actually buying an EV. I'm hoping by the time I'm next looking to buy a car there will be some good electrics on the second hand market.

Don’t. The only sane way to have one is to lease, no one knows how well they age, and the batteries, which wear out, are 1/2 the cost of the car.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The near future (10 years) is 100% EV now. This view is conventional for

1) energy majors
2) auto manufacturers
3) consumers

ICE is done.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

Settlements in Europe are generally tiny AF, the systems my company had classified anywhere with <5 million population as a “Town” and they had to create a new code fork to deal with our baby size populations.

So it had a max of like 10-20 cities in the whole world?

I think one of the problems is also maybe the exact terminology here.
How exactly is a city defined?

What exactly is "London"? e.g. only the "City of London" (and Westminster) or the whole greater metro of London?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want electric cars but unless ultra as-fast-as-petrol-stations charging happens everyone seems to head in the sand about cities and street parking.

The idea of London as it is now replacing ICE with electric is not an even slightly viable proposition.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Mano posted:

So it had a max of like 10-20 cities in the whole world?

I think one of the problems is also maybe the exact terminology here.
How exactly is a city defined?

What exactly is "London"? e.g. only the "City of London" (and Westminster) or the whole greater metro of London?

Yeah good question. So:

In China the touchstone is the big 4: Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Tianjin. To be honest I don’t trust this; Tianjin should probably be aggregated with Beijing. Anyway, for greater urban areas...

Shanghai 27M
Beijing 20M
Chongqing 16M
London 9M
—-cutoff line—-
Birmingham 3M

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Noxville posted:

Yeah mean she’s right but why Easter eggs and not virtually every other food item?

Because she's a Lib Dem.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Noxville posted:

Yeah mean she’s right but why Easter eggs and not virtually every other food item?

I suspect there's an element of "sneering at the wasteful poors", but I may be biased by my general opinion of the Lib Dems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't that the nutcase who wanted to nuke squirrels

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that the nutcase who wanted to nuke squirrels
Easy mistake, she wanted to nuke everyone, whereas she actually did murder squirrels, by conventional means, recreationally

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Noxville posted:

Because they literally hate fun.

Libdems are those who did all their work, did as they're told, tided their room and licked the boots and so if things are still not good then it must be the other people who were at fault. The ones who didn't do what they were told. Therefore if a solution isn't hurting or punishing someone then it isn't the right one. A solution which does not punish or hurt means all their hard work was for nothing and the undeserving who did not tidy their rooms will get away with it. It's why they luuuuuurve austerity and means testing.

They will kill us all before they'll accept that they've been had.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

DickEmery posted:

Because they literally hate fun.

Libdems are those who did all their work, did as they're told, tided their room and licked the boots and so if things are still not good then it must be the other people who were at fault. The ones who didn't do what they were told. Therefore if a solution isn't hurting or punishing someone then it isn't the right one. A solution which does not punish or hurt means all their hard work was for nothing and the undeserving who did not tidy their rooms will get away with it. It's why they luuuuuurve austerity and means testing.

They will kill us all before they'll accept that they've been had.

School prefects manifested into a political party.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Hey we got a trip to Disneyland for being prefects, we didn't give a poo poo about the rules (except the head prefect who was on a genuine power trip).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

His Divine Shadow posted:

That german stuff really vibes with me and a lot of the culture here too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
LibDems hate Easter eggs because they recognize themselves - all wasteful packaging and bright colours disguising a thin shell of substandard product and a completely hollow centre.

stev posted:

Hey we got a trip to Disneyland for being prefects, we didn't give a poo poo about the rules (except the head prefect who was on a genuine power trip).

Time to update the UKMT.xlsx again

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

kecske posted:

what's the point of this vaccine certificate for pubs when all the bar staff are <40 and won't have been vaccinated anyway?

It's to reinforce that people working in the service/hospitality industries need to suck it up and be at work if people older than them want a pint.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Surprise T Rex posted:

A powerful sense of the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be getting away with it. They're getting away with it Henry, they're getting away with it and nobody is doing anything about it!

Not unique to the Lib Dems though, Tory wets and Labour wet eggs all have it too. Dry Tories are more 'we're getting away with it, gently caress you.'

therattle posted:

I don’t know why a different source of power would obviate the need for gearing.
Some of the newer EV tech replaces the entire drivetrain, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA36jWvYCnA

It might still have gears in the 'metal wheels with teeth' sense but it doesn't have what I'd call a gearbox in any conventional sense, plus it has the advantage of being a drop-in replacement while getting rid of a bunch of bulk that you can replace with more battery space.

That kind of thing will probably make automatic the default option and 'manual' where you can mess about with the drive ratio with a little joystick a luxury option.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

A powerful sense of the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be getting away with it. They're getting away with it Henry, they're getting away with it and nobody is doing anything about it!

Not unique to the Lib Dems though, Tory wets and Labour wet eggs all have it too. Dry Tories are more 'we're getting away with it, gently caress you.'

Some of the newer EV tech replaces the entire drivetrain, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA36jWvYCnA

It might still have gears in the 'metal wheels with teeth' sense but it doesn't have what I'd call a gearbox in any conventional sense, plus it has the advantage of being a drop-in replacement while getting rid of a bunch of bulk that you can replace with more battery space.

That kind of thing will probably make automatic the default option and 'manual' where you can mess about with the drive ratio with a little joystick a luxury option.

Thanks, interesting.

I am wondering if there is a market for aftermarket electric car batteries. Instead of buying the factory model from Toyota you could buy a model from Acme Car Battery Co that could be more modern and efficient, and cheaper

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pubs aren't actually gonna do vaccine certificates are they? They want customers.

12 April is gonna be mega mega. In Wetherspoons at the opening bell for national get the cans in day.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

So I've just read that Avon and Somerset Police have just confirmed the reports of officers with broken bones and punctured lungs were incorrect i.e. lies.

I don't expect any of the local media to pick this up at all, after the VERY chummy interviews with police all week.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

wooger posted:

As though that wasn’t the sole reason to hire her.
As though it wasn’t the sole reason she got to be a political candidate.

Are you sure you’re not thinking about all the feminist / Lesbian/ Women’s Health subs that were straight up deleted, or else had the mods forcibly replaced by Reddit insiders, who are all oddly enough transwomen?

They definitely don’t have any problem with hosed up fetish subs at Reddit.

pardon me if i'm reading this wrong but are you implying there's some kind of trans conspiracy going on both on Reddit and within Lib Dems of all people lmao

like this is going beyond your bog standard terfy poo poo and jumping head-first into some qanon territory right here

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JoylessJester posted:

So I've just read that Avon and Somerset Police have just confirmed the reports of officers with broken bones and punctured lungs were incorrect i.e. lies.

I don't expect any of the local media to pick this up at all, after the VERY chummy interviews with police all week.

Define 'any of the local media'. It was the Bristol Post that broke the story of the mysterious vanishing injuries, and the Bristol Cable's coverage of the protests has been solid. It's the national news who have been an abject shitshow.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Define 'any of the local media'. It was the Bristol Post that broke the story of the mysterious vanishing injuries, and the Bristol Cable's coverage of the protests has been solid. It's the national news who have been an abject shitshow.

Hands up, Fair shout. I didn't know the post broke the story, I meant Local TV news.

EDIT: Althought I've just looked and I can't find the posts story, but I can find the several 'collapsed lung' and 'broken bone' stories.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 25, 2021

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

bessantj posted:

She looks so angry in all those photos as if she's genuinely pissed off she has to be there.

Without context I would have assumed she'd just barged in on some kind of Easter charity event, deeply concerned that the families receiving free chocolate hadn't been sufficiently means-tested.

Borrovan posted:

Extremely same. I still drive my girlfriend's every once in a while just to keep in practice, but I actually enjoy mine more.

Ditto. When it snowed a couple of months back I used my wife's manual Fiesta, and it was like learning to drive all over again.

My current car is an automatic with manual paddles on the steering wheel, and I don't use them anywhere near as much as I expected to. Automatics with enough horsepower work fine. Big difference from the first time I drove an automatic, which was a rental car with about five horsepower and I nearly died multiple times while joining a highway.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Butternubs posted:

On a serious note it's probably because of their more relaxed stance on drink driving.

Err are you kidding? Most US states are murder on drink driving. Having an opened bottle of alcohol in your back seat can get you arrested. Getting drunk and sleeping in the back of your turned-off car can get you arrested.

What might make a difference is that you can get a driving licence a lot more easily there than here, which in turn implies a lot more bad, inexperienced drivers on the roads.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

stev posted:

We didn't have prefects at school, so one lad just bought himself a badge that said prefect on it & went around telling people what to do, and we all just sort of went along with it cuz it was funny

nurmie posted:

pardon me if i'm reading this wrong but are you implying there's some kind of trans conspiracy going on both on Reddit and within Lib Dems of all people lmao

like this is going beyond your bog standard terfy poo poo and jumping head-first into some qanon territory right here
As we all know, trans people are at a significant advantage in society relative to cis people. Now that we've got that out of the way,

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

Err are you kidding? Most US states are murder on drink driving. Having an opened bottle of alcohol in your back seat can get you arrested. Getting drunk and sleeping in the back of your turned-off car can get you arrested.

What might make a difference is that you can get a driving licence a lot more easily there than here, which in turn implies a lot more bad, inexperienced drivers on the roads.

I'm assuming they were thinking of Wisconsin, a state that is in the pocket of the bar lobby and where drunk driving is basically decriminilised

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

nurmie posted:

Seconding this, wooger get hosed.

@ therattle re: London. Yeah I think it didn’t help I moved around London quite a lot - during covid one street I lived on did actually get a nice WhatsApp group going. I don’t know, I guess I just never warmed to it the same way i have other places. Different strokes and all that I guess

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

There was a guy in my year who became a prefect purely because they got out of class 5 minutes early to get to the front of the lunch queue every day because I dunno, they were meant to help first years or summat

The only prefect I admired.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wooger posted:

Are you sure you’re not thinking about all the feminist / Lesbian/ Women’s Health subs that were straight up deleted, or else had the mods forcibly replaced by Reddit insiders, who are all oddly enough transwomen?
:pwn:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The trans conspiracy to take over Reddit is real guys and I am absolutely not a transphobic nutcase scumfuck honest

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The school I was at for sixth form, we didn't have prefects. All the Upper Sixth (Yr 13 in the new money) had 'prefect duties'.
I was stationery cupboard minder. My best mate was lost property cupboard minder.
And at lunchtime (which was 'table service') each table in the dining room had to be headed up by a member of the Upper Sixth to keep the littlies under control.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
loving hell food prices seem to be going up a bit. Popped into Tesco after the school run and a standard pack of Lurpak was £4.50?!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I have an automatic (ostensibly to make it easier for my partner to learn but ehhh...) and I find it really frustrating because the point at which it changes up from second to third (from the four available gears) is all wrong for pootling across town slightly below 30mph. So if I don't manually switch up it revs like hell and uses an inordinate amount of fuel. It definitely makes me a lazier and less alert driver, too.

I miss gears. But it's quite possible it's just a poo poo automatic and a better one would be lovely.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Convex posted:

loving hell food prices seem to be going up a bit. Popped into Tesco after the school run and a standard pack of Lurpak was £4.50?!

Some store brand stuff seems to have disappeared, too. Can't get Sainsbury's own Rooibos tea, have had to upgrade slightly to TickTock. The expense will ruin me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Automatics have the same issues that motorway driving has for manuals. Not constantly doing something means your mind can drift.

Also lots of little habits like always looking in your mirror when you change gear disappear too.

Nothing wrong with them though, just need to be more aware.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Convex posted:

It should be 3.75. and Iceland do it for 2.75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

Where the gently caress are you shopping?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254263339