Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Homora Gaykemi posted:

So you think cops, as a class, aren't bastards?

i think that a bad cop is a little bit like a bad politician. you'll find that they probably tend to do more good than harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

hambeet posted:

i think that a bad cop is a little bit like a bad politician. you'll find that they probably tend to do more good than harm.

no

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hambeet posted:

harm than good you mean

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/1374999583265189894

https://twitter.com/meadea/status/1374997858479317004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We have ways of dealing with it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's in a hole and he keeps digging.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

We have ways of dealing with it

If it's legitimate rape, the body has ways of shutting it down

(Oops, crossing my uspol in here)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1375013778216128514?s=20

This is why that LNP member apologized today - an hour before it was on TV about his Facebook harassment and threats to two women who live in his seat. One helps run a homeless charity and the other is a wife of a local councilor. He stalked one when she was with her kids.

There's multiple crimes here right? Threats over a communication line and stalking?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

bowmore posted:

harm than good you mean

Hambeet knows what he said

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How long until Laming is diagnosed with acute consequences syndrome and has to take paid leave

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
holy poo poo Tracy Grimshaw massacred him, i've seen dodgy tradies on a current affair that came off looking better than that.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 25, 2021

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

JBP posted:

Being a cop is a choice.

Anyway time to depart the thread of epic traps sprung and blue sky thinking.

I hope you dream of your cute tantalus

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Chris86767838/status/1375008883677130757

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HazCat posted:

'All men are cunts' is not the same as 'you're a oval office' .

And 'all men are cunts' is not reverse sexism.

if someone said 'all women are stupid' you'd probably be offended, right?

I didnt call you stupid so dont get upset.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

holy poo poo Tracy Grimshaw massacred him, i've seen dodgy tradies on a current affair that came off looking better than that.

compare that as well to when “smartest man in the room” waleed was embarrassed by Morrison for an hour

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anyoen got a link to the full interview?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tingle has turned into straight up burn recently

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Anidav posted:

Anyoen got a link to the full interview?

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...b0-77dab13c91c2

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
its a banger

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"I'm doing everything I can, as best a bloke can frankly"

like if you wanna get hot and bothered at someone for besmirching blokes don't get pissy at the thread, get loving livid at the pm honestly

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Laserface posted:

if someone said 'all women are stupid' you'd probably be offended, right?

I didnt call you stupid so dont get upset.

Do you have any conception of just how sheltered and thin-skinned you'd have to be to react the way you're implying to a statement that milquetoast from a stranger on the internet?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
just incredible that morrisson can't even suppress his smirk when talking about rapists and a victim that died from suicide

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

So is anything actually gonna come of this or will he sail right through?

I did have the impression that having (through medium effort of his own) steered Australia through COVID unharmed he'd be untouchable for years to come, but now I'm coming round to the idea that people don't care about and don't remember what they didn't personally suffer, even if you're the one who stopped them from suffering it.

edit - I remember a tweet thread a month or two ago talking about how every incumbent in a jurisdiction that's handled COVID well has polled well and, if there's been an election, done well: Palascuk, McGowan, the NT Government; even Dan Andrews with his massive winter outbreak and vocal opposition from Murdoch, the feds and business lobby still has a solid majority popularity. Yet the federal government has constantly been neck and neck with Labor and, in recent months, been losing to Labor.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 25, 2021

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Personally I feel like, at least here in Victoria most people attribute our record on Covid to the state governments, not the feds.

Based on the recent state election results i wouldnt be surprised if this was the same in QLD and WA.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah actually that's probably very likely. People (not incorrectly) attribute their personal COVID lives to the states and when it comes to federal polling it's the same old same old about interest rates and the economy or whatever.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Woden posted:

Yeah, if you've got enough money for a big solar system you can probably stretch further and go off grid with battery storage and gently caress things up further.

That's the worry I have with this dumb idea, it incentivizes people rich enough to just skip the grid entirely and leave those least able to afford it paying increasing utility costs.

We're off grid but only because we could only afford land that was cheap because it had no access to services! Not just a rich people thing!

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/_Tony_Garcia_/status/1375002614434197513

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

alf_pogs posted:

Tingle has turned into straight up burn recently

What’s upburn

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

At 17:03 in that interview, after Tracy brings up Morrison not coming out to meet protesters there's a jump cut where she asks the question again, and it's really clear that she is just fed up with his bullshit, but I can tell there are probably heaps of people who will see him as a well spoken person who answered all of her questions plainly.

Was also interesting how he mentioned 'another member of parliament had similar allegations made against them' when talking about Christian Porter, but then later dropped the pretense and just started saying 'Mr. Shorten'.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 25, 2021

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Helith posted:

Welcome to the lived experience of pretty much everyone who isn't a white man.

This is a lovely defence and I'm unsure why you would offer it. Are you happy with this status quo or would you like it to change, it's pretty much one way or the other.

It's not about me either, I'll go months without being judged on my gender or ethnicity. Not a daily struggle for me, I'm aware of my privilege. It does pop up in surprising ways however, like being a stay at home Dad, or taking parental leave as the primary care giver. Being a male teacher comes with a whole range of interesting situations and judgements that don't even register for a woman.

HazCat posted:

You literally do not know what sexism is if you think it's one individual woman making a generalised statement about men on the internet.

This is one of the most basic things you need to understand to even enter a serious discussion about this topic. It's the underpinning of everything else.

Your hurt feelings are not comparable to institutional bigotry, and you should grow the gently caress up and stop equating them.

I don't think it's that. I'm quite aware of what sexism is. You're jumping to assumptions, and you're making blanket statements. Welcome to Debate and Discussion, it's in the title. My hurt feelings aren't comparable to institutional bigotry, but that doesn't mean I should sit here and accept your disrespect because institutional bigotry exists. That just sets up another level of institutional bigotry. Accepting bigotry because of the system is the very problem, you telling me to quit my whinging because I'm a white man and the system isn't against me is precisely an issue with the system. Not a fan of men's rights, but the patriarchy has a bunch of pitfalls for men as well. lovely pitfalls. Several I've referenced above, but another being that my feelings don't matter and I should grow up and shut up.

gently caress that bullshit. My feelings do matter. I'm a goddamn person. Equating any part of my existence to my gender, or my colour, or my upbringing is institutional bigotry and you should grow the gently caress up and walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Take your own advice.

Half the reason there's a new generation of dipshit neonazi teens and men in their twenties is precisely because of toxic masculinity and the backlash against who they identify as. The cure to bigotry isn't more bigotry, it's love, acceptance and intolerance of intolerance.

Someone want to point out to me how I'm wrong for being offended that someone is discriminating against a group I am a member of, or any group? Replace men with another group, see how it reads. "'All Jews are cunts' is not the same as 'You are a oval office'". How is it not infinitely worse? It dehumanises me. At least calling me a oval office makes me a human. Telling me I'm not worth something because of a generalised statement is the worse statement. By all means, call me a oval office. At least it gives me agency.

Any dreams of suddenly dismantling the system overnight are fairy tales, unless you've some plan. Our current glorious plan has been 'wait for them to die' but that's obviously been a bad one with climate change and all the rape still happening. But if you're not in power, you can't affect change easily. And the people in power don't want to change. It also discounts that our entire society is so hosed that we have to have ad campaigns that it's not okay to hit a woman. The blame doesn't lie solely at the top, the whole patriarchy is broken, and it isn't support merely from the head, or just the men, it's rotten from the child to the old folks home. And you can't fix it by blanket cancelling someone. You have to deal with people on an individual level. Which if you've seen the ads is the point they're trying to make.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

HazCat posted:

Do you have any conception of just how sheltered and thin-skinned you'd have to be to react the way you're implying to a statement that milquetoast from a stranger on the internet?

White male status: priveledged embattled

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Konomex posted:

gently caress that bullshit. My feelings do matter. I'm a goddamn person. Equating any part of my existence to my gender, or my colour, or my upbringing is institutional bigotry and you should grow the gently caress up and walk a mile in someone else's shoes. Take your own advice.

And maybe, when discussing the topic at hand which is the institutional misogyny which has led to stalkings, sexual harassments, sexual assaults, rapes and suicides you should maybe - just for a moment - think about allowing someone who just needs to loving vent to do so without trying to make it all about you.

Your feelings are not the most important thing in the room right now.

"Not all men" Yes, we know. You're very strong and brave. Have a cookie.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back go giving my actual sympathies to the people being loving raped.

quote:

but that doesn't mean I should sit here and accept your disrespect

On the other hand, you actually wrote this.

You actually wrote this to someone distressed about what's going on and venting about what seems like an endless procession of women being raped with at least one driven to a point where they saw no other path for themselves than to take their own life. All because they didn't put your fragile loving ego front and centre and weren't making your needs the centre of their world as woman after woman steps forward with the stories of the horrors they've endured.

"Sure women are being raped and driven to suicide. But I can't allow anyone, even in a moment of hyperbole, to dare besmirch the honour of the white man!"

Anything but disrespecting Konomex - that's just a step too far.

EDIT: You can tell me. Just between us - are you actually Scott Morrison?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 25, 2021

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Morrison said the alleged rape of Brittany Higgins was a “wake-up call”, to which Tracy Grimshaw responded: “It hasn’t been a wake-up call to 52% of Australians.”

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Konomex posted:

Half the reason there's a new generation of dipshit neonazi teens and men in their twenties is precisely because of toxic masculinity and the backlash against who they identify as.

"Now I'm not a rapist, of course", says Scott Morrison. "I'd never make a woman uncomfortable. i care about women. But I would just like to remind this crowd of women, as they protest the violence they suffer under, that other men will rape you. While you are thinking about whether or not to protest, just remember that women protesting causes men to become rapists, out of spite. Not me, I remind you. I make the noble choice not to rape. But please do remember that it is a choice, and other men - not me - choose to rape women because those women choose to be unkind to men. And now, I ask you, who's fault is it really?"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HazCat posted:

"Now I'm not a rapist, of course", says Scott Morrison. "I'd never make a woman uncomfortable. i care about women. But I would just like to remind this crowd of women, as they protest the violence they suffer under, that other blokes will rape you. While you are thinking about whether or not to protest, just remember that women protesting causes blokes to become rapists, out of spite. Not me, I remind you. I make the noble choice not to rape. But please do remember that it is a choice, and other blokes - not me - choose to rape women because those women choose to be unkind to blokes. And now, I ask you, who's fault is it really?"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Yeah actually that's probably very likely. People (not incorrectly) attribute their personal COVID lives to the states and when it comes to federal polling it's the same old same old about interest rates and the economy or whatever.

Yup. Doesn't help that there was a perception that the Fed's had to be dragged into JobKeeper, have continually criticised states for lockdowns and border closures which people see as having kept their local areas safe, and have completely skipped their responsibility on international arrivals back into Australia. Now the slow vaccine rollout risks blowing up in their faces.

They will try and run on the record of how Australia came through Covid-19, but part of our lucky country mentality is that people expect Australia to do ok. Look how little credit Labor got for steering us through the GFC.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Good morning auspol I think we all need a positive thing in our lives so im dog posting

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Looking forward to moving to a country where there are no white men in positions of authority and seeing if I enjoy it [things are as bad, if not worse than here] oh poo poo, maybe I'm a reductive racist idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Tommunist posted:

Good morning auspol I think we all need a positive thing in our lives so im dog posting

Good dog