Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Wooden cubes $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

grate deceiver posted:

I'm getting dangerously close to buying Sidereal Confluence, please help

cubes cubes Cubes Cube CUBES CUBES CUBES!!!!!!!!

Also, octagons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

grate deceiver posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Wooden cubes $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Buy more cubes.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

Buy more cubes.

yes

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ok, seriously I went and ordered it. I was considering either Sidereal or Container for my deal making and speculation fix, but I don't think I can justify blowing that much on plastic ships, only the expensive edition of Container is available near me. Also I just love one of a kind weirdo games like this even if I won't get to play them much. Now to convert my entire living room into a table

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

grate deceiver posted:

ok, seriously I went and ordered it. I was considering either Sidereal or Container for my deal making and speculation fix, but I don't think I can justify blowing that much on plastic ships, only the expensive edition of Container is available near me. Also I just love one of a kind weirdo games like this even if I won't get to play them much. Now to convert my entire living room into a table

Container is fantastic and probably easier to get on the table than Sidereal but we had a great time with Sidereal last time we played and I look forward to getting it out when I can find more than four people to play with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Container is also getting a normal less ridiculous reprint this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In an interesting side note, both games are kind of fragile and can break with the wrong group so be sure you let the other players know what they are getting into.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Hurray! I hadn't heard this. I almost backed Import/Export just to have some of the bits for Container

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

In an interesting side note, both games are kind of fragile and can break with the wrong group so be sure you let the other players know what they are getting into.

So refreshing to have this disclaimer. It is good to know if a game is very group dependent, despite quality.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Container reprint is released.

Oops, made the boats even bigger this time.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Break in what way? I can see it being annoying if someone is blocked from trades, but I think my group is pretty good on that.

Bottom Liner posted:

More cubes! Yes... Hahaha... Yes!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

grate deceiver posted:

Break in what way? I can see it being annoying if someone is blocked from trades, but I think my group is pretty good on that.

Most or all of the table needs to be comfortable jockeying for people's attention - it's a very social game and wallflowers are both probably not going to enjoy it very much and may actively mess with the balance.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

Most or all of the table needs to be comfortable jockeying for people's attention - it's a very social game and wallflowers are both probably not going to enjoy it very much and may actively mess with the balance.

Yeah not everyone is comfortable with all the activity. And some don’t like the real time mental math.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

More cubes! Yes... Hahaha... Yes!

Me getting cubes: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me losing cubes: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The classic way Container breaks is people not noticing the plug hole all of the games money is draining from. When you bring a shipment of goods to the island (where they will eventually be scored for VP at the end of the game), it's sold in an auction. If someone else biys it, they pay you, and the bank pays you the same amount again. If you buy it, and get all those goods you really want and sent a container ship around to buy up and deliver to you, you pay the bank and that money goes out of the game.
Believe it or not, a fair sample of players don't see how continually taking money out of the game could lead to nobody having any money to do stuff with.
But yeah, the less esoteric way to break it is that if someone's not playing the game, there's not a lot to distract you. In a non-interactive euro, youve got plenty of plates to have fun spinning, even if an opponent is letting their plates smash on the floor. And playing Container requires talking and counting, which not everyone enjoys.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

grate deceiver posted:

I'm getting dangerously close to buying Sidereal Confluence, please help

Whatever you do, don't listen to Space-Biff's podcast interview with the designer (I believe it's podcast #6). That thing will sell you Sidereal in a hot second.

edit: Oh, you already went and got it. Well then go ahead and check out the podcast anyway. It's really good; Dan's a solid interviewer and Tauceti gives a LOT of insight into the design behind SC.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Is there such thing as a game with heavy interaction that isn't fragile? I was just wracking my brain and trying to think of an example. Do you consider not playing optimally/well and allowing the person to your right or left to succeed outside of normal means and thus disenfranchising others a type of fragility? Would playing Civ with a newbie who doesn't get the value of trades and gives someone something way too good away be a version of fragility? Or would you say fragile means the game actually fundamentally breaks down and is unplayable/collapses otherwise? In that case I think Container is the only one I can think of that actually lets you go into a death spiral.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Need some recommendations. My SO and I are about to finish up Pandemic Legacy Season 0. We've played all the Pandemic Legacies, love Spirit Island, and kinda burned out on the Arkham Horror LCG. Trying to wean her onto competitive games with 7 Wonders Duel and Root, but she's not a super aggro board game nerd like me.

Ideally it'd be a legacy game or something like Spirit Island with a lot of replayability. Cooperative is preferred over competitive, but something low impact (fast, not actually beating the poo poo out of each other's stuff) competitive like 7 Wonders, Terraforming Mars, or Wingspan would also work. I'm not into Gloomhaven or its ilk, as I already run hella TRPGs and dungeon crawling doesn't really appeal to me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

tokenbrownguy posted:

Need some recommendations. My SO and I are about to finish up Pandemic Legacy Season 0. We've played all the Pandemic Legacies, love Spirit Island, and kinda burned out on the Arkham Horror LCG. Trying to wean her onto competitive games with 7 Wonders Duel and Root, but she's not a super aggro board game nerd like me.

Ideally it'd be a legacy game or something like Spirit Island with a lot of replayability. Cooperative is preferred over competitive, but something low impact (fast, not actually beating the poo poo out of each other's stuff) competitive like 7 Wonders, Terraforming Mars, or Wingspan would also work. I'm not into Gloomhaven or its ilk, as I already run hella TRPGs and dungeon crawling doesn't really appeal to me.

Me and my SO have been enjoying the Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective games. It's like the default couples suggestion. It's not so much legacy but could be described as a campaign game. SUSD describe the game here, if you aren't familiar with it. It's sort of a multi-path adventure book except you're helping Sherlock Holmes solve a mystery. They can let you feel incredibly clever for figuring something out, or frustrate you with your own ineptitude.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

tokenbrownguy posted:

If you like deckbuilders, Aeon's End is a co-op deckbuilder against enemy bosses. It has a legacy version that also serves as an extended tutorial to the game, and then if you want more after that (or if you can't find it and are okay starting with a non-legacy version), there's a shitload of other expansions that add new cards and mages and enemies, some with campaigns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tokenbrownguy posted:

Dominion sounds like it's what you want. It's fast, you can tailor the levels of "gently caress you" in the Kingdom with ease, it's got huge variety just out of the base box and with expansions that becomes almost infinite.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
I've definitely had Advanced Civ break... well, not break, but it was introduced to players who weren't used to brutal mechanics, and the outcome was that they traded less for fear of picking up calamites, despite there being some incredible trades there available (and my tradeable calamities :smug:) . As a result, tech progression slowed for everyone which in that game wasn't the worst, but it did extend the phases longer than they needed to be.
If you call "slowing the game down to the point that no one wanted to play it anymore" then that's probably breaking it.

Finished our first full game of Eclipse 2e last night, I ended up pumping a massive economic engine but two mistakes ruined me: first was not picking up the Monument tech as soon as it was available and hence having it snapped up by another player, and the second was me misreading the artifact tech bonus (for some reason I thought it gave me VPs instead of resources that I didn't need). With nothing to use my engine on I ended up throwing in a few ships but they didn't have enough upgrades to be useful vs other players.

Still, I quite enjoyed it. The endgame is absolutely cutthroat with how few VPs are available to claim. I can't imagine the chaos of 1e's last round, seems like you'd just have been throwing everything + kitchen sink at other players.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Sidereal is a lot better than container IMHO. But I am loud and shout so might be a better fit for me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sidcon's got a lot more poo poo to distract you if someone is playing sub optimally. In Container you've got nothing to do but look at that guy who's happy to make $5 while someone else (not you) is making $10. In Sidcon you can just put your head down and try and move cubes more efficiently.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sidcon's got a lot more poo poo to distract you if someone is playing sub optimally. In Container you've got nothing to do but look at that guy who's happy to make $5 while someone else (not you) is making $10. In Sidcon you can just put your head down and try and move cubes more efficiently.

This is absolutely true, but I think there is other stuff too: Sidcon supports more player counts, and non traditional player counts. I think Sidcon is only real time trading and negotiation game I have, but I have tons of economic games.

I dunno I sold Container but Sidereal is a fixture and might hit the table tonight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Modern Art does everything I like about Container better and faster. I could probably say that about a lot of games though. SidCon remains wholly novel and unique.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Morpheus posted:

Container reprint is released.

Oops, made the boats even bigger this time.

I hope the ships actually float this time!!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Worst thing about Sidereal is that they made a legible 2e and I can't justify buying it again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
incorrect. the new version is legible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope the ships actually float this time!!

Now you can fit in the boats

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
New edition of container is just a captain's hat and a deed to a freighter floating off of Greece.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I'm excited to pick up SidCon 2E for my first in-person gaming session once all of my friends are vaccinated. Seems like the perfect game for that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

New Deluxe Deluxe edition of Container appears to have problems with the game locking up.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1374438210315513864

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Did anyone ever get a chance to play the Vampire the Masquerade Vendetta card game? It kickstarted a while back but releases soon and I think it had online versions available to try.

Any thoughts?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

million dollar mack posted:

I've definitely had Advanced Civ break... well, not break, but it was introduced to players who weren't used to brutal mechanics, and the outcome was that they traded less for fear of picking up calamites, despite there being some incredible trades there available (and my tradeable calamities :smug:) . As a result, tech progression slowed for everyone which in that game wasn't the worst, but it did extend the phases longer than they needed to be.
If you call "slowing the game down to the point that no one wanted to play it anymore" then that's probably breaking it.

We played a game with someone who thought she had "figured it out" fairly early in the game and just didn't trade with people unless she was trying to offload a calamity. She... did not do well and finished by saying, "Boy I wish I traded more."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I expected something more along the lines of "... declared the game totally unbalanced" :haw:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for the recs! I'm not sure Consulting Detective is our speed, we're both pretty poor losers. Aeon's End does sound dope. Picked that up and...

Dominion! Of course! The SO mentioned playing and liking it before. Thanks for the reminder.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I don't even calculate score for Sherlock Consulting Detective. We just investigate as much as we want and enjoy the narrative.

I find it strange that the game's scoring system actively encourages you to jump to conclusions and to soak in as little of the game's narrative as possible.

Aeon's End is a good pick. I love that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Cube game arrived, I wasn't expecting there's so much other components. Looks cool as hell, stoked to try it...one day...