Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Ehud posted:

Have any of you guys stopped using Amazon yet?

I've been thinking about it lately. I just mindlessly order pretty much anything I need off Amazon. I'm trying to figure out if purchasing consumer goods from a different retailer is actually any different.

I know Amazon is lovely, but are they especially lovely? Or do they simply get more press like this because they're gigantic?

The last time I used Amazon was because I could use my work’s kudos points for a gift card to fill a goon’s wishlist. I might have used it during Christmas, I can’t remember. It’s a last resort for me.

What sucks, what really sucks, is that even if I spent $$$$$ on Amazon retail and then went to nothing, it wouldn’t matter because Amazon Web Services is so dominant. When one of their regions is offline, so many websites and apps go down with it.

But yeah, they’re comparatively a lovely corporation even judging them against other corporations instead of basic humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Yeah. I just like ~2 years back shifted away from ordering on amazon if at all possible. Sometimes you can't get what you need anywhere else, but for a ton of things you can just like, go to the actual supplier's site and get it slightly cheaper anyway

This is a good point. It's so much easier to just order directly from the site. Almost all of them have a guest check out for one off purchases or have an SSO from a Google/Facebook account so that you don't have to create a new account for that site.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

I've been thinking about it lately. I just mindlessly order pretty much anything I need off Amazon. I'm trying to figure out if purchasing consumer goods from a different retailer is actually any different.

I know Amazon is lovely, but are they especially lovely? Or do they simply get more press like this because they're gigantic?

I have moved away from Amazon for a lot of things-- in the past decade b&m retailers have mostly caught up so even a lot of my local stores' online presence has an updated inventory that makes it easy to get something delivered or held. I've got recurring deliveries moved away from Amazon. Still to big box retailers like target, but at least I am supporting competition? Honestly the worst thing about not using Amazon for things I can't curbside or in store pickup is the inaccuracy of delivery estimates-- see my previous post in the thread. I really don't care for most things if it takes a week but it annoys me to no end when it's going to be here on "day" and at the end of the day when the app has said it's still coming, it just vanishes into " pending " purgatory for a few more days.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

a neat cape posted:

Just have Frakes host jeopardy and use the same tone he used in Fact or Fiction

:yeah:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Just have Frakes host jeopardy and use the same tone he used in Fact or Fiction

I'd say only if he plays it as Will Riker, but then I remember that's the only thing he can play

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The amount of counterfeit / Alibaba poo poo that's on amazon now is mind boggling. I pretty much only order there as a last resort.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/sarahmazing/status/1119053184973062145?s=19

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

Nope. Even before COVID-times, I was having to buy from them more and more. Combination of price and connivence that sadly is hard to beat for a lot of stuff.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They are especially lovely and you should buy local as much as possible.

However, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism. I won't shame someone from buying from amazon. The shifted burden onto individuals to stop megalithic corporations from being lovely is deliberate because it absolves the lovely corporation for those actions.

While I try to buy local when/where I can, for a surprising amount of things it’s hard. Like, almost all food places down here are major chains. The closest thing to a local grocer is Publix, and my same weekly shopping in Walmart is like 25% less for the same stuff. Then Amazon has some of that stuff that’s occasionally cheaper than Walmart, so I’ll order from them, and that’s only increased over the past two years.

Another example for me is books. I’m still an old nerd who likes physical copies of stuff, and I’m usually willing to pay for a copy in good condition. There are like two local bookstores within basically a 30 minute drive, but both are small used book places. It’s great to go and browse them, but I never know what I’ll find or if it’ll be in decent condition, so I can’t really count on them for everything. The only other option is Barnes & Noble. Amazon is significantly cheaper than them seemingly 98% of the time, so it’s usually a no brainer if I’m trying to save money.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Another example for me is books. I’m still an old nerd who likes physical copies of stuff, and I’m usually willing to pay for a copy in good condition. There are like two local bookstores within basically a 30 minute drive, but both are small used book places. It’s great to go and browse them, but I never know what I’ll find or if it’ll be in decent condition, so I can’t really count on them for everything. The only other option is Barnes & Noble. Amazon is significantly cheaper than them seemingly 98% of the time, so it’s usually a no brainer if I’m trying to save money.

https://bookshop.org/

It's a site used to sell from a ton of independent bookstores. Prices typically don't quite match amazon, but aren't bad, and beats the hell out of supporting them.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ehud posted:

My wife and I are talking about this right now actually. It's not like Amazon is any cheaper than other retail outlets anymore and we don't use all the added things to justify spending $120 per year for Amazon Prime. She wants to switch to Costco but I don't think that's much better.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ehud posted:

I very rarely patronize Amazon or Walmart bc of their labor practices. Sometimes you have to, but I make a concerted effort to not give Bezsos or the Waltons my money

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

dirty shrimp money posted:

My wife and I are talking about this right now actually. It's not like Amazon is any cheaper than other retail outlets anymore and we don't use all the added things to justify spending $120 per year for Amazon Prime. She wants to switch to Costco but I don't think that's much better.

Costco kept the hot dogs cheap, therefore I support them.

I've been a few months off of amazon, for me at least I seem to be able to find things for better or the same price most of the time. Might be that the stuff I used to order from them is different/was dumber to get from there in the first place.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Isn’t frakes loving huge now?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Paint Crop Pro posted:

That new AV is amazing.

Agreed, and I highly recommend the avatar thread in this very forum.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Well this sucks, LastPass effectively made their mobile app useless unless you pay for it.

Any other suggestions on password lockers?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/JaxBladeFitness/status/1239937506294009857

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/OWHnews/status/1375108227042512900?s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

I've almost completely stopped because their non-prime shipping is dogshit, they are rife with counterfeit items and gently caress their labor practices.

Occasionally I may buy a piece of physical media I can't find elsewhere (vinyl, books I can't find locally), but its pretty rare.

harperdc posted:

unrelated but checking in on the whole "getting into the Yakuza games" thing

Alright, you gave me the push I needed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao what are we doing

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1375086575990751242

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/niQ3heWwF6SydhS7R/making-vaccine interesting read

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Is Pepsi OK?

gently caress no, man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

I pretty much have, though I was never ordering a lot from them in the first place. There's some shaving supplies that I get from there which I haven't been able to find anywhere else, but those are once or twice a year orders and I will admit that I haven't tried too hard to find them locally. Then again my wife orders enough from them to make up for the both of us (mostly supplies for her business).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

It's a site used to sell from a ton of independent bookstores. Prices typically don't quite match amazon, but aren't bad, and beats the hell out of supporting them.

I’ll have to look into that when I’m looking specifically for stuff. Part of the ease for Amazon for me is I just dump stuff I want down the line into a wishlist and check it occasionally if stuff is on sale or I want something new at semi-random, and half my family just gets me things from there as gifts.

:barf:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

gently caress yes this owns

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Has a man ever been as fired as the captain of that ship?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The problem is that the alternative for most of what I order on Amazon is just Walmart, which is a lateral move at best. Like, there aren't a whole lot of mom and pop shops anymore, anywhere, outside of restaurants or niche stores. Identify for me the store that is demonstrably better than Amazon, meaning they are worth the time and expense to shop at over Amazon vs. just being slightly less bad and I will shop there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

That waiter who burned down the Coconut Grove?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

3 DONG HORSE posted:

really sad all they could pull off back then was a pile of rocks while ancient civilizations in other places did stuff like dope rear end pyramids or Mount Rushmore

They keep screaming about how much of a marvel it is given their level of technological advancement, which is fine, but like... it's like marveling over what you drew as a 3 year old now that you're 30.

The great pyramid apparently started construction within 100 years of stonehenge, for reference.

FizFashizzle posted:

Isn’t frakes loving huge now?

He's a big boy but not even in the same territory as James Doohan was by the time the later movies rolled around. He's 6'3" though so he just comes off very wall looking

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kalli posted:

Yes, Captain Francesco Schettino

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Oh yeah Bookshop is good.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

He's a big boy but not even in the same territory as James Doohan was by the time the later movies rolled around. He's 6'3" though so he just comes off very wall looking

strategic overalls

good job wardrobe

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is his back still all hosed?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

So the stories about it are mixed but what I’ve read internally (Evergreen isn’t my company but a competitor, for what it’s worth) is that it wasn’t entirely on the captain. Some combo of a storm/high winds and an engine stall is what made it happen.

Also worth noting that in the Suez, much like in the Panama Canal, they have pilots that hop onboard and guide the ship through. So it wasn’t the ships normal captain piloting it at the time.

There’s a similar system at most ports where they have docking captains that bring the ships in the last little bit to the dock.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I also try not to use Amazon as much as possible even though I know it literally does not effect their business, but sometimes it’s just impossible to find stuff local that isn’t even really that much of an ask. For example, this past Christmas my mom had mentioned she wanted a giant rear end plastic cutting board, and I spent half a day driving across the city to local shops and couldn’t find anything bigger than like 12”x16” so I ordered a big rear end one off of Amazon and wrote off the day of wasted gas and time.

Then a month after Christmas my dad stopped by with the cutting board and asked if I could chop it in half with my table saw, so I would have been better off just buying her two normal sized cutting boards :fuckoff:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was never going to be unfucked, just get worse as he gets older.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'd have to imagine aging and weight gain makes it not better

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'd have to imagine aging and weight gain makes it not better

Well I figured there was maybe some new medical development in the last 20 years that would help him.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Ehud posted:

It's hard because I live smack dab between two distribution centers, so I commonly get stuff in one day. Being able to get stuff without going to a brick and mortar is also convenient due to a pretty severe social anxiety disorder.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey how much money could feasibly be on that ship in the Suez Canal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I dunno, I don't find using amazon to find what I need then buying it somewhere else to be that big of a deal.

I mean that's literally what best buy was to Amazon for ages.