Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh. You can throw surtling cores in the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Phigs posted:

I know I get tonnes of heath from food but the base HP never changing still bothers me. It's like seeing that number hit 25 every time my food runs out triggers a feeling that I've not progressed. I don't need it for mechanical reasons of staying alive.

You get effective HP by getting higher armor which gives you damage mitigation. I get the pavlovian "my HP bar should go up" but it does, just in a non obvious way.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Making my first stylish place, is it possible to use thatch roofs to make the shape of an inverted ship? I want the ship to come out of this wall and and be supported by core beams to form a terrace.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You get effective HP by getting higher armor which gives you damage mitigation. I get the pavlovian "my HP bar should go up" but it does, just in a non obvious way.

Won't help you when you fall off your roof after forgetting to eat though :shepface:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Part of Valheim is logging back on to find all the bronze you mined last session missing, and the base building homebody decked out in full bronze armour

One guy who logs in after your team of 4 has been toiling away for hours and goes "oh wow looks like we've got tons of ____________" and then uses it all, and then logs off.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'd be cool with a no skill loss if you die within range of a workbench. I've died by falling while building too many drat times.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Salt Fish posted:

One guy who logs in after your team of 4 has been toiling away for hours and goes "oh wow looks like we've got tons of ____________" and then uses it all, and then logs off.

That's why you put a sign by the chest with the goods saying to save x of whatever. Can't expect others to be psychic.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We mine together. We build together. We fight together. That basebuilding homebody is responsible for the warm bed and square meals (assuming they're also doing most of the farming) that you come home to.

It's our bronze. :ussr:

Nah for real though we just make sure to mine enough that everybody is kitted. Also I deffo appreciate the dudes on my team who get off on gathering berries or harvesting/replanting turnips or barley.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

Is it possible to use thatch roofs to make the shape of an inverted ship?

I was reasonably satisfied with this attempt:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
No skill loss if you die with a rested bonus or is that too powerful?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

server-level toggles would be best tbh, but otherwise i like the idea mentioned of not losing skills if you die within range of a workbench. maybe if that's not viking enough, make it a sliding scale of 20% less loss per workbench level or something, so you can't trivially surround a boss arena

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
As long as the devtools exist there's no reason to care about skill loss

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Qubee posted:

I love the adventure playing with friends provides, but the fact we're all required to grind the same stuff makes progression a ballache and kills the atmosphere. When you're on a server with friends but everyone's off doing their own thing to grind up new gear, it quickly starts to feel lonely. The alternative is to grind together, but then you run into the issue of "what's fair". If one guy is doing most of the work when it comes to mining, the lion's share of the loot should go to him, but then waiting on the smelters to make the ingots, it quickly becomes a huge timesink trying to kit up your team of three.

I've started playing solo on my own world just to grind mats. Does anyone have a solution to this that'd make grinding with friends equally rewarding?
For some reason, my friends who got me hooked on these survival/crafting/building games haven't gotten into this one, but generally we do whatever we want to do, but try to bring back more than we need and help out with stuff we're low on. Chopping rocks? Chop until everything is broken and/or inventory is full. Doodad & geegaw production stopped? Queue up more. And so on.

Basically:

Kibayasu posted:

Might I interest you in the word of Marx?

Though it does help that chopping rocks in a video game can be relaxing in its own way.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mastershakeman posted:

As long as the devtools exist there's no reason to care about skill loss

Disagree, while I have had no problem doing a little item hopping here and there to speed up a group adventure, suggesting a console fix is only fine while it's in EA & not everyone wants to "cheat" or use devtools, especially on shared servers (or I dont think they're allowed/accessible)

10% of all skills is a ton of XP given how it scales exponentially in this game.

You should be able to earn back full % of it (or all of it) by either recovering your corpse within a period of time, or earning some other trophy/XP. The time thing would basically solve it as a harsh penalty for building deaths or "lol i forgot to eat" deaths. Wouldn't change anything for "died in the swamp being an idiot" deaths most times.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The skill death penalty just means I don't care about skills at all. 1 death could easily wipe out several days worth of skill increases for my highest skills and death comes so quick when it does so why bother raising skills or care when they go up?

Howard Be Thy Name
Jan 10, 2020

Leal posted:

I was thinking of making a base in the plains, I'm concerned about deathsquitos just spawning while everyone is hanging around at camp with their armor off and not eating any food and getting instantly killed over and over by those loving things.
They will occasionally fly over the walls and sting people but only once in a while. I wouldn't have new players there as their first base

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phigs posted:

so why bother raising skills or care when they go up?

did you not get the memo that number go up is good?!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

but number go down also

Howard Be Thy Name
Jan 10, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You get actual HP by eating better foods as you tech up, so there is actual HP increases built in to the progression too. iirc if you eat serpent stew + fish wraps + lox meat pie you'll have something like 240 hp at first.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I got fed up with the skill loss and modded it out last night. High run and jump skill is a major quality of life improvement, and losing days worth of gains for random stuff happening is just obnoxious.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Bows and Running are two skills that make you way more powerful as you level them. Bows makes you deal more damage and charge faster. Drawing faster means you will deal even more damage and can shoot more accurately. Similarly running increases both run speed and reduces stamina. My bows is crap but I got running up to 70 and the increased speed is quite noticeable.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Must say I've never really noticed my skills make a difference so the "I died and my skills" comments really go over my head

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Swimming skill seems to make a lot of difference and losing it is so painful.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like how 7 Days to Die handles its death penalty. Besides losing equipment you don't lose any actual experience on death but you get an experience deficit you need to regain before you can get real experience points again.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phigs posted:

but number go down also

oh gently caress!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The way my group handles collective farming issues is we have communal chests and individual chests (not the actual individual chests, just normal chests by the food of your bed). Anything that is in the communal chests is fair game. Generally if, say, 3 people go out and farm a ton of iron, they will come back, craft whatever they want, and then post the left overs in the communal chests, which are then fair game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Leal posted:

I was thinking of making a base in the plains, I'm concerned about deathsquitos just spawning while everyone is hanging around at camp with their armor off and not eating any food and getting instantly killed over and over by those loving things.

It's a very real problem. I haven't noticed them coming inside our buildings, but I have seen screenshots of that. The solutions are either "build at the top of a spire" or "you're in the plains, eat something and put armor on"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Not "roof over your entire base"? That seems like the most reasonable thing to do.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Put up a perimeter of workshops so they don't spawn close, they don't wander in that often really

And are people just RPing being Viking naturalists or something wandering around naked? If your base is so huge that the movement speed penalty costs you enough to care about, nothing should be spawning close to you anyway

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Azhais posted:

are people just RPing being Viking naturalists or something wandering around naked?

I sure as gently caress am going to now!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there aren't nude mods for Valheim somewhere on the internet already I'm going to be very disappointed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

bus hustler posted:

No skill loss if you die with a rested bonus or is that too powerful?

You shouldn't ever be anywhere without the rested buff honestly, it's far too powerful and you only need a small shelter and fire to get it back.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You shouldn't ever be anywhere without the rested buff honestly, it's far too powerful and you only need a small shelter and fire to get it back.

you don't even need shelter if it's not raining, just sit down next to a campfire (press x to sit btw, it's not super obvious in game)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Azhais posted:

Put up a perimeter of workshops so they don't spawn close, they don't wander in that often really

And are people just RPing being Viking naturalists or something wandering around naked? If your base is so huge that the movement speed penalty costs you enough to care about, nothing should be spawning close to you anyway

I've been really surprised by the amount of "i died in my base because i wasn't eating" posts. I did all of my building in my actual armour/eating grilled neck and meat.

Granted it helped that I had built next to a mostly self farming meat factory, but still.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I only build while fueled by an eternal sugar rush from an endless supply of honey shoved straight into my messy bearded viking face.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

plester1 posted:

I only build while fueled by an eternal sugar rush from an endless supply of honey shoved straight into my messy bearded viking face.

And just to add to the diabetes the plains are carpeted in cloud berries, easy to have a second costless food

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have more blueberries than god, my Viking beard is stained such a terrifying blue that my looming visage will haunt generations of greylings to come

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

naked and hungry is how you shake hands with danger

Viking OSHA suggests you wear armor and eat easy access foods (honey and whatevr else you won't miss) when tooling around the base doing construction or risk a deathsquito poking you in the rear end.

and if you must be naked for viking parkour running and it isn't on a corpse run, WEAR A HELMET

edit: also avoid mountains and drakes when wet

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 25, 2021

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah keep that frost res mead handy for Wet Emergencies. I had to go on a lengthy corpse trip after a brief rainstorm at sea made me vulnerable to the cold of the Deep North. Hadn’t been eating cuz I was just sailing around and I froze to death super quick.

Found a cool stone tower last night perfectly overlooking some Plains. Started working on the tower and renovating it when I hear a big ol grunt and see a 2-star troll with a log coming over for a visit. Then I hear goblin laughter from the other direction.

The little shits came after the troll by coming THROUGH MY BUILDING and so he swatted at them with his log and brought the whole bitch down. Sad to lose the tower but it was a great fight and the ruins are a fun landmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think you take frost damage in the cold when wet regardless of if you have resist from meads or gear (or both)