Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i one watch an ep in forged in fire where he needed one of these tube quencher but made it out of some pvc pipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

just a thought maybe they shouldnt let ships longer than the canal's width next time

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Space Kablooey posted:

just a thought maybe they shouldnt let ships longer than the canal's width next time

Promote this person. That's the kind of independent, out of the box thinking we need

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the pillars of nosgoth are corrupted.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

freezepops posted:

Switching circuits open/closed is typically handled by circuit breakers which have very fast operating times (typically less than 83ms). The impulse generated by switching events is considered when designing a substation and choosing equipment so that the insulation in a substation is appropriate based on the expected switching voltages. The speed of interruption isnt a very significant factor in the voltage impulse, the biggest factor is the time difference between when the current is interrupted and when a normal power system 0 crossing would have taken place. A manual switch isnt going to have good control of this value as the arc is an open air and the contacts are parting slowly.

The biggest reason disconnect switches are designed to handle arcing and open slowly is simply cost. If you don’t want to pay for a circuit breaker, you can use a load break switch. Since these switches are operated by hand or small motors and are very large, the opening speed is very slow so arcing is going to exist for a period of time.

Hey thanks for keeping my poor understanding from propagating. I don't know where I picked up that tidbit of bullshit but yeah I guess with all of the power factor correction capacitors at substations you really wouldn't expect much additional overvoltage just from magnetizing inductance in the transformers or whatever I was thinking when the switches open.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

*pounding fists on table* NUKE THE BOAT! NUKE THE BOAT!

Like that whale? So rad. LET IT RAIN CONSUMER PRODUCTS!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If they don't nuke the boat I will never forgive them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Big Beef City posted:

"Guys why don't they just dig it out faster?"

--literally goons.

Oh, fuckin WORD? No one involved in this multi-billion dollar a day fuckup affecting the entire planet has considered this brilliant strategy you've derived after looking at one photo of a boat on twitter. Thank you for this hard hitting commentary

settle down, Bevis

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Just Project Orion that boat.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
people keep asking for a bigger boat then complaining when they get one. smh

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

What if they make the boats even bigger but also add bit inflatable bumpers on the side of the canal like when I go to bowling alley and don't want to worry about the gutter?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

people keep asking for a bigger boat then complaining when they get one. smh
The shark is capitalism

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I think that they should get big balloons, tie them on straps that you put under the hull, and fill the bags with helium. The ship floats free and can be towed anywhere in the world!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just out of curiosity, is this being covered on the mainstream news? Has Fox or CNN accused it of being a terrorist attack yet?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Wrr posted:

What if they make the boats even bigger but also add bit inflatable bumpers on the side of the canal like when I go to bowling alley and don't want to worry about the gutter?

A fender won't do much against a ship of that size just barrelling into the wall.

These kinds of systems actually exist around some infrastructure, usually partially submerged, to redirect collisions at very shallow angles.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
There is no way to move the ship. It's over. It's time to build a second Suez Canal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm afraid they're gonna have to toss the whole Suez and build a new one to build a new canal in.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oh dope posted:

There is no way to move the ship. It's over. It's time to build a second Suez Canal.

they already did!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Newez Canal

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

'build' ? Oh I get it, we will build a concrete canal 10 meters above the old one, just imagine how much shipping we could get done!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oh dope posted:

Twoez canal
Threeez canal?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

By popular demand posted:

'build' ? Oh I get it, we will build a concrete canal 10 meters above the old one, just imagine how much shipping we could get done!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Space Kablooey posted:

Your medal is waiting at city hall.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Actually, if they lengthen the ships even more, their angle of impact will necessarily be very shallow and it's harder to get stuck :eng101:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is this raising the water or lowering the water.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pendragon posted:

Why don't they just lower the sand? Or raise the water level?

All they need to do is tell a load of archaeologists that there's an untouched tomb under there.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Byzantine posted:

*pounding fists on table* NUKE THE BOAT! NUKE THE BOAT!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Azhais posted:

have they tried ramming the ship with a bigger ship?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think that they should get big balloons, tie them on straps that you put under the hull, and fill the bags with helium. The ship floats free and can be towed anywhere in the world!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Kibayasu posted:

Is this raising the water or lowering the water.

Yes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Water isn't cutting it, switch to mercury.
Things float easier that way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Azhais posted:

have they tried ramming the ship with a bigger ship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JiPj9c98Y

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they aren't going to nuke that boat, I'm going to kill myself.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cojawfee posted:

If they aren't going to nuke that boat, I'm going to kill myself.

Quoted for :toxx:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I think the real solution is we give trump back his Twitter for a day and see what he thinks we should do.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Put logs under it and roll it to Giza.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They should try asking the ship nicely.

Or maybe this is a cry for help. Someone qualified needs to have a sitdown with the ship and make sure it's ok :ohdear:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Suez Drift: Too Fast, Too Furious seems like it needs a better plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Why can't they just melt antarctica to raise sea levels and get the boat unstuck?