Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Biowarfare posted:

What's wrong with this? As long as there's good solid payment verification this nuke thing will be limited by players' wallets. You just need to make sure you can't hack a nuek up for free

What's wrong with pay2win? Are you really asking that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

What's wrong with pay2win? Are you really asking that?

I was under the impression that GTAO was stiil a glorified matchmaking lobby, and that virtually everything you do doesn't really have a long lasting persistent effect, is that not the case?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Biowarfare posted:

I was under the impression that GTAO was stiil a glorified matchmaking lobby, and that virtually everything you do doesn't really have a long lasting persistent effect, is that not the case?

Its way more complicated than just that, yeah. Maybe at launch it was just a lobby before you launched into missions, but there's a lot of things going on in the overworld now, years of patching later, and nuking people means you can kill them while they're in the middle of something.

For one, the instanced missions are mostly lame and most people just play GTAO to hang out in the overworld and roleplay as cops or robbers or whatever. Go hangliding. You can be having a nice game of tennis and then a nuke goes off. There's also overworld events that encourage players to come together and do something and then someone makes a small bit of cash. Not instanced.

Primarily though, the game has like 6 professions (Gun running, drug dealing, import/export, owning a club, etc. etc.) which require investing like $1M+ each just to start doing missions, then you have to spend like $10k to get some supplies, then you go drop those off somewhere else for like $40K making a profit of like $30K. If someone nukes you while you're driving the truck over, you eat that $10K loss. So you end up running these over and over and over just to try to brake even on your investment, and other players can make it take longer.

Note that you cannot do these business missions in a solo lobby. You have to be in a public lobby where you're open to other players griefing you. This is the design of GTAO.

Everything about GTAO is designed to make it look like you can make easy money and buy nice things, but then grinding them out is actually painful and the players who spend money get huge advantages and bullet-proof tanks to blow you up while you try to grind out enough money to buy a lambo much less a yacht.

The yacht is like 1.5M but then after you buy it it costs 400K to change the color, 600K to add a helipad, etc. etc. and before you know it you blew through all your money so you have to either grind and get griefed or buy more cash.

Its a game designed around fleecing as much money from whales as possible while letting them feel like kings of poo poo mountain over the poors.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 15, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I remember that one level in the original GTA, that had a tank right at the start. Thing took up most of the screen, and the only way you knew it was about to blow was the cranky engine sound it would make. Any visual cues about your impending death wasn't until GTA2.

But at least I would blow up by not paying attention, and not because someone threw money at DMA just to ruin my day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its too bad about GTA Online, because if there were official roleplay servers and it was like a monthly sub, I'd 100% pay for that poo poo. GTA O being siloed into a bunch of playlists that you have to constantly load in and out of just ruined it for me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

Its too bad about GTA Online, because if there were official roleplay servers and it was like a monthly sub, I'd 100% pay for that poo poo. GTA O being siloed into a bunch of playlists that you have to constantly load in and out of just ruined it for me

Yeah you really could build a much better game with the same GTAO engine and assets. I think Rockstar is realizing this. When GTA5 first came out, it was actually just like Biowarfare said, basically just a lobby to launch into missions or races from. But over the years they've realized they could sell people property and have them shooting each other in cars they unlocked.

Unlocking a fancy car doesn't do much if you only use it in the "lobby" before you go into a race where everybody uses the same car. But if the actual game is the "lobby", suddenly that fancy car you have is more important, you can actually show it off to other players. That tank you bought isn't just fun for blowing up the police... its fun for blowing up other players.

I'm honestly surprised Red Dead Online sucks so much. At launch it was worse off than GTAO was at that point, (post-patches mind you), so they must have just been so busy with single player they had to rush online out the door at the end of development, likely with the same plan of patching it into something better as they went along. The actual missions in GTAO suck so much, but it does have the same chill "lobby" experience, and just like with GTAO's path, they're slowly patching in more and more things for you to do in the overworld "lobby" without launching a stupid mission.

Like their original idea for taking GTA online was to just have a bunch of deathmatches? And that's not super fun, the controls in GTA don't work great for competitive shooting. Its the loving around with cars and explosions and cops that makes the game fun. But they're still learning how to actually make that the online game.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Its way more complicated than just that, yeah. Maybe at launch it was just a lobby before you launched into missions, but there's a lot of things going on in the overworld now, years of patching later, and nuking people means you can kill them while they're in the middle of something.

For one, the instanced missions are mostly lame and most people just play GTAO to hang out in the overworld and roleplay as cops or robbers or whatever. Go hangliding. You can be having a nice game of tennis and then a nuke goes off. There's also overworld events that encourage players to come together and do something and then someone makes a small bit of cash. Not instanced.

Primarily though, the game has like 6 professions (Gun running, drug dealing, import/export, owning a club, etc. etc.) which require investing like $1M+ each just to start doing missions, then you have to spend like $10k to get some supplies, then you go drop those off somewhere else for like $40K making a profit of like $30K. If someone nukes you while you're driving the truck over, you eat that $10K loss. So you end up running these over and over and over just to try to brake even on your investment, and other players can make it take longer.

Note that you cannot do these business missions in a solo lobby. You have to be in a public lobby where you're open to other players griefing you. This is the design of GTAO.

Everything about GTAO is designed to make it look like you can make easy money and buy nice things, but then grinding them out is actually painful and the players who spend money get huge advantages and bullet-proof tanks to blow you up while you try to grind out enough money to buy a lambo much less a yacht.

The yacht is like 1.5M but then after you buy it it costs 400K to change the color, 600K to add a helipad, etc. etc. and before you know it you blew through all your money so you have to either grind and get griefed or buy more cash.

Its a game designed around fleecing as much money from whales as possible while letting them feel like kings of poo poo mountain over the poors.

I haven't really touched GTAO, but is it really as bad as it seems (I don't mean general p2w, just the nuke thing)

Apparently it's 750k to fire a nuke, but that practically costs as much as a yacht, except it's one time use. Assuming there are no dupes/exploits/free cash (which really should NOT EXIST in a server side mmo that handles real world cash payments - if this exists then all other bets are off, solve this first), why would someone pay 750k to destroy someone's 10k worth of value? Who the hell is wasting $20/hour every hour to kill you and make you lose $0.10 in value?

Is there some context I don't have, because it seems like if I was a whale I'd want to spend all my money unlocking every profession, a yacht, every car rather than wasting several hundred USD a day harassing a single person in particular. Even then, I'm wasting hundreds and they can just log out.

Of course all of this changes if GTA is stupid enough to be able to dupe cash, chargeback payments and not get banned, have third party RMT markets, etc. Pricing wise, I don't see how a nuke is particularly pay to win when it's not something that lets you win every battle that comes up or whatever, but instead a high cooldown one time hit that guarantees a kill for a ludicrous amount of money that you don't get to keep

Impotence fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 16, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You don't know why a whale would pay money to cause a big flashy attention-grabbing explosion in an online game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

I haven't really touched GTAO, but is it really as bad as it seems (I don't mean general p2w, just the nuke thing)

Apparently it's 750k to fire a nuke, but that practically costs as much as a yacht, except it's one time use. Assuming there are no dupes/exploits/free cash (which really should NOT EXIST in a server side mmo that handles real world cash payments - if this exists then all other bets are off, solve this first), why would someone pay 750k to destroy someone's 10k worth of value? Who the hell is wasting $20/hour every hour to kill you and make you lose $0.10 in value?

Is there some context I don't have, because it seems like if I was a whale I'd want to spend all my money unlocking every profession, a yacht, every car rather than wasting several hundred USD a day harassing a single person in particular. Even then, I'm wasting hundreds and they can just log out.

Of course all of this changes if GTA is stupid enough to be able to dupe cash, chargeback payments and not get banned, have third party RMT markets, etc. Pricing wise, I don't see how a nuke is particularly pay to win when it's not something that lets you win every battle that comes up or whatever, but instead a high cooldown one time hit that guarantees a kill for a ludicrous amount of money that you don't get to keep

People who are paying money to GTAO to buy nukes for real cash to blow people up are trolls, not much sense trying to analyze why they do what they do.

The professions, as I explained, aren't really great. They are more money sinks than anything, they're just a way to grind cash. If you have cash they're the last thing you'd want to do. If you have cash all you can do is kick over the sand-castles of other kids who don't have cash who are grinding; but some people like that.

Phigs posted:

You don't know why a whale would pay money to cause a big flashy attention-grabbing explosion in an online game?

Yeah this basically goes back to just like, "what is pay2win and why is it bad" lol.

If nobody would pay the money then it wouldn't even be an issue in the first place. The problem is some people are happy to pay the money to play god and lord over others.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

The professions, as I explained, aren't really great. They are more money sinks than anything, they're just a way to grind cash. If you have cash they're the last thing you'd want to do. If you have cash all you can do is kick over the sand-castles of other kids who don't have cash who are grinding; but some people like that.

ah, so there's no actual paying to reach endgame or winning, you're basically just burning money for the sake of taking a poo poo on other peoples car seats

drat i am in the wrong industry

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

ah, so there's no actual paying to reach endgame or winning, you're basically just burning money for the sake of taking a poo poo on other peoples car seats

drat i am in the wrong industry

Yeah, levels are basically irrelevant in GTAO and there's nothing to accomplish beyond buying stuff. The Yacht is one of the bigger purchases that you can show off, once you've got a yacht and a tank and a golden plane there's really nothing else to achieve in the game.

And then you see the earnings reports on how much money shark cards make per year and HOLY gently caress.

(Over $700 Million dollars)

You can't do RMT in GTAO really because there's no trading or player economy of any kind. The ways you earn money are all intentionally designed to be highly time consuming and hard to bot. Also almost everything is a one way purchase, you can't really sell anything. You buy a yacht, you own a yacht forever but can't get rid of it. You buy a tank, its more like "unlocking" a tank than purchasing a good you can trade or sell.

There are some dupe hacks, but that's basically the only thing the GTAO devs do to support the game; they occasionally patch it to break the hacks. At some points in the game's lifetime hacks were extremely common and free money was widely available, but they banned most of the hackers and plugged the leaks and somehow managed to get people to keep buying shark cards after all that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 16, 2021

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
apparently R* is paying the GTA loading time guy $10k. so that's a thing. sweet sweet whale bux

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
pay2grief is a new one for me, at least.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

There are some dupe hacks, but that's basically the only thing the GTAO devs do to support the game; they occasionally patch it to break the hacks. At some points in the game's lifetime hacks were extremely common and free money was widely available, but they banned most of the hackers and plugged the leaks and somehow managed to get people to keep buying shark cards after all that.

there's always the exploit where you can claim a game instance for yourself only. makes farming $$ very easy w/o having other players pester you

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I got my money back when the exploits were easy. Game is a bit unfun when everyone is in a tank, and also it takes literally 10 minutes to load

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
some hacker flew around and gave me what amounted to infinite money so i just bought everything I could back in the day

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://clips.twitch.tv/OutstandingIronicPonyFunRun-Qnf82pK4qC2bIw31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UutgpgxJ8h0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM9R8QeEmA

these 3 clips are what GTA Online could be like

ara suck on deez nuts

eonwe fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Legit lmao

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

MO2 has a stress test on the 25th. You can get a key to participate here.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Brass posted:

MO2 has a stress test on the 25th. You can get a key to participate here.

Yeah they just dropped a big fat release.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jimlit posted:

Yeah they just dropped a big fat release.

sir this is a christian forum

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Well the real hype about GTAV online nowadays are modded RP servers

They got really good mods going too, I'm watching some twitch but not really interested in playing myself. Many ppl do though

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Mr. Pickles posted:

Well the real hype about GTAV online nowadays are modded RP servers

They got really good mods going too, I'm watching some twitch but not really interested in playing myself. Many ppl do though

The complexity of the city is stunning, I don't think any MMO world out there can rival it in terms of detail and life, it's just insane. The amount of locations and the way they are detailled, I'm really at awe every time I watch someone RP'ing on the servers. Playing this on a well-moderated RP server right now is probably the best MMO experience you can get.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Honestly just wish there were FiveM servers that were “the regular game but we’ve banned cheaters.”

Actually I guess I really just wish R* would do it themselves. The progression in the base game is well done imo but when the ultimate point is making money, playing against whales and hackers in a pay-2-grief overworld is a fun-killer.

If there were some way to spin up a private server with no mtx, the regular game content, and admins, I’d even pay a sub to play it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Pandaal posted:

Honestly just wish there were FiveM servers that were “the regular game but we’ve banned cheaters.”

Actually I guess I really just wish R* would do it themselves. The progression in the base game is well done imo but when the ultimate point is making money, playing against whales and hackers in a pay-2-grief overworld is a fun-killer.

If there were some way to spin up a private server with no mtx, the regular game content, and admins, I’d even pay a sub to play it.

Not being able to do joint ventures is what ruins what GTAO could have been. If my friend runs an MC, and I run a nightclub -- he should be able to run his drugs through my club to fence / clean or whatever.

The fact 1 person has to own all the means of production sucks.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
one week until Fractured alpha starts up again

discord already had Nekrage in the discord getting in a huge meltdown slapfight with people

Kopitar
May 21, 2009
Mortal Online 2 was patched and actually almost feels like a game now

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Kopitar posted:

Mortal Online 2 was patched and actually almost feels like a game now

There is still a considerable amount of jank, but yeah it's really shaped up. Stress test is happening at 1pm est today. Will post up some starter tips if anyone else is getting in on it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was gonna but im 3 hours too late to the giveaways

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

queeb posted:

i was gonna but im 3 hours too late to the giveaways

looks like there are a bunch left here: https://massivelyop.com/2021/03/25/mortal-online-2-stress-test/#keys

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jimlit posted:

There is still a considerable amount of jank, but yeah it's really shaped up. Stress test is happening at 1pm est today. Will post up some starter tips if anyone else is getting in on it.

Interested in tips

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Interested in tips

Sure Thing:

• Character Creation: Character creation is in equal parts daunting and vitally important. You can gimp yourself right out of the gate, so I would recommend using this generator to plan try out builds and see how the different options effect stats https://mortaldata.com/. The only item from character creation you can't change afterwards is height which effects health and damage bonus.

Here is the mounted archer build I will probably be using for reference: https://mortaldata.com?character=3640537521491804160

• Haven: This is the starter zone. PVP is disabled so take all the time you need to level up and buy skills. I wouldn't leave until you have maxed all your stat's and bought all of your builds skills. When you do leave you get a one time bank transfer from haven so make sure you stock up on gold and materials in your bank before you take off.

• Learn How Combat Works (specifically parrying): There is way to much to type up here but this guide does a great job of explaining it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8N1KiFHKY

• Making Money: Early on it's all about butchering. Everything you kill drops a corpse, take that corpse to the butcher table in town and profit. DONT skin it with the skinning knife skill you will lose out on a lot of materials. From there you can sell the materials to any vendor. You should start at the graveyard butchering zombie corpses. After you have leveled up your skills and stats a bit try to take on some young razorbacks, their butcher mats start selling for upwards of 1.5 gold a stack. If you are an archer you can try springboks their mats sell for even more but they are total bastards to catch.

• Kill Yourself: Its a good idea at some point to bank all of your items and commit suicide. you will go into ghost mode. In ghost mode you are significantly faster, this lets you explore the area with 0 risk. you can scout out where mobs are spawning and what areas to avoid. you can also teleport right back to a priest from your character menu when you are done.

• Gather Everything: There are lots of herbs and vegetables out in the wild, some of them sell for a ton of silver. It's a great way to make a bit of extra cash.

Will add to this later, but feel free to ask anything.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 25, 2021

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Also a bunch of keys available here: https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2151704

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why does there need to be a good MMO come out when old MMOs still rule? I am playing Guild Wars 1 right now and am having a blast! FFXI was also very fun and cool, since it’s basically a solo experience until max level.

Do not play Classic WoW.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jokes posted:

FFXI was also very fun and cool, since it’s basically a solo experience until max level.

A lot of us old timers don't think that's what constitutes a "good MMO".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jokes posted:

FFXI was also very fun and cool, since it’s basically a solo experience until max level.

:psyduck:

Not only is a single player MMO not what I want from an MMO (and why I don't like modern WOW or FFXIV) how do you solo FFXI? On like a modded server or what?

Original FFXI was balanced such that after level 10 you literally couldn't do poo poo without a group. And the last time I tried subbing to the live servers, they were such an empty ghost town that every single player in the game went to a single server and fought high level mobs in a raid group, because it was the only way to grind xp.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Gotta be a joke post considering GW1 isn't an MMO.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

FFXI has summonable NPCs to help you out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyduck:

Not only is a single player MMO not what I want from an MMO (and why I don't like modern WOW or FFXIV) how do you solo FFXI? On like a modded server or what?

Original FFXI was balanced such that after level 10 you literally couldn't do poo poo without a group. And the last time I tried subbing to the live servers, they were such an empty ghost town that every single player in the game went to a single server and fought high level mobs in a raid group, because it was the only way to grind xp.

FFXI gives you NPC party members who do different things. You can have a tank, healer, bard, black mage, whatever so you can play any role on your own.

MMOs are mostly single-player nowadays but for Very Specific Group Content, and cities with people running around. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Arguably that's why they're not good anymore!

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

jokes posted:

FFXI gives you NPC party members who do different things. You can have a tank, healer, bard, black mage, whatever so you can play any role on your own.

MMOs are mostly single-player nowadays but for Very Specific Group Content, and cities with people running around. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Arguably that's why they're not good anymore!

my foray into classic wow has allowed me to determine that no, grouping with people without a groupfinder is a soul-crushing timesink that exposes you to just as much toxicity as group finders do