Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

more falafel please posted:

I actually just cut mostly through with a hacksaw, then pried it until it snapped with a slotted screwdriver. I've got a vinegar-soaked rag around the threads of the bib now, hopefully that will dissolve the rest of it.

That works too!

This happened at my girlfriends house and I had to go at it with two 20" pipe wrenches to finally rip it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

amethystbliss posted:

Update: Turns out seller got "caught out" when they listed this as a 5 bedroom house last year when the downstairs "bedroom" doesn't meet the requirements (guessing because it doesn't have a window). Once they were caught, the seller then had the town building inspector come out for an inspection and it passed. The certificate says they checked plumbing, heating and electrical but no more details than that are provided. The town issued the certificate of approval in February 2020 but it's unclear when this space was converted in the first place. Our attorney is doing more digging, luckily he sounds like he's friends with the building inspector.

Is this home being sold at a significant discount as compared to comparable homes in the area? If not, run.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Surprised that searching yields minimal results. Trying to rule out potential issues. Does ambient humidity affect a refrigerator/freezer's cooling ability like ambient temperature does (at least, on a scale that would produce a visible difference)?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

House is almost complete and we are going to be taking possession this Friday. I was concerned though that the Cat6 cables I asked to be run through the house weren't patched. I asked our builder about this and he sounded clueless. Now it's not the end of the world to patch my own cables but I kinda don't want too. I didn't pay just to run the stuff through the house. I'm also fortunate to have networking friends who do it for a living but it's not the best time to be inviting people outside my bubble.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Surprised that searching yields minimal results. Trying to rule out potential issues. Does ambient humidity affect a refrigerator/freezer's cooling ability like ambient temperature does (at least, on a scale that would produce a visible difference)?

not an HVAC expert but no it should not, It's possible high humidity would cause condensation in the unit if you had a bad seal etc, but that would be more on the inside if it was humid more than anything.

A freezer / Fridge's main job is to take heat from inside it's "chamber" to outside its "chamber" that's it.. Humidty makes little difference to the coolant's ability to move that heat from one zone to the other

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

House is almost complete and we are going to be taking possession this Friday. I was concerned though that the Cat6 cables I asked to be run through the house weren't patched. I asked our builder about this and he sounded clueless. Now it's not the end of the world to patch my own cables but I kinda don't want too. I didn't pay just to run the stuff through the house. I'm also fortunate to have networking friends who do it for a living but it's not the best time to be inviting people outside my bubble.

Maybe they're clueless because you're saying patched? That means something other than what you are asking for - which I think is to be terminated. And depending on what you asked for to begin with, as well as what you paid, "pulling cable only" may or may not have been a reasonable expectation. What does the work/change order say?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, we swap the terms all the time but I guess if someone isn't a networker they wouldn't know. Contract just says ethernet ran to the locations in my place - $600. So I guess gently caress me. :lol:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Finishing off ethernet cables is easy as pie, just get a cheap punchdown tool off Amazon, some keystones and wall plates, and watch a youtube video.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ready to go, hehe.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Spent $300 having the hot tub cleaned and serviced before listing. Spent about $5000 on having crap hauled away, paint, repairs etc... so I hope the price the realtor wants to list at is correct and the market doesn’t poo poo itself in the next month*

* it will

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Ready to go, hehe.

I can't quite tell from the image but that looks like a crimping tool for making patch cables. You'll need a punchdown tool for the keystones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072K1QHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z6FDWQVJSKQXFF1P3XHZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: oh nice, I haven't seen those toolless keystones before.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 24, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The yellow thing does that too but the keystones I bought cut the wire as well.

https://www.primecables.ca/p-356890...boots#sku365164

https://www.primecables.ca/p-322053-cab-1040-cat6-rj45-toolless-keystone-blue-primecables#sku322057

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Well, we swap the terms all the time but I guess if someone isn't a networker they wouldn't know. Contract just says ethernet ran to the locations in my place - $600. So I guess gently caress me. :lol:

For $600 you paid for the work they did. :v: See if a friend has a tdr you can borrow in case the cables don't work.

Structured cabling vendors specifically do not patch cords without literally twisting their arm behind their back, giving them a complete patch matrix, and deeply overpaying for the patch cords themselves. It adds thousands of dollars to our bill for a 20-rack DC build out and it's around a days work for 1 person. Low parallelism because of physical access, most of the stuff is in 2 racks so there flat isn't room.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tater_salad posted:

not an HVAC expert but no it should not, It's possible high humidity would cause condensation in the unit if you had a bad seal etc, but that would be more on the inside if it was humid more than anything.

A freezer / Fridge's main job is to take heat from inside it's "chamber" to outside its "chamber" that's it.. Humidty makes little difference to the coolant's ability to move that heat from one zone to the other

I suppose it MIGHT be possible for ambient humidity to affect it a bit, since humid air has a higher specific heat, but I can't imagine it's ever noticeable for something like a fridge, probably only has to be taken into consideration for large HVAC systems.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah if you want to know you can look at ashrae psychrometric charts and figuring out enthalpy etc

I mean just look at this https://www.ashrae.org/File%20Library/Technical%20Resources/Bookstore/UP3/IP-1.pdf

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

tater_salad posted:

Figured as much.
Old refrigerator and freezer both didn't hold temperature. Landlord finally replaced it, new one works much better but have had one or two times in the past week where the temperature spikes (not quite out of freezing per internal thermometer, but enough that there's frost crystals in places) then comes back down. Still narrowing down the cause, but it's happened while I've had windows open to cool off this weirdly hot apt (75 when heat is set to 66 and outside is low 50s), and it's been high humidity recently. I know humidity can interfere with some heating/cooling-related things and just ruling out the easy answers first.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You're describing a defrost cycle.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
You sure that's not just the defrost cycle?

edit: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Motronic posted:

You're describing a defrost cycle.

Could just be that, yeah. First refrigerator I've ever had made after the 90s, and the older ones at least never did it to a degree I was able to notice.
Good to know it's normal behavior.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Figured as much.
Old refrigerator and freezer both didn't hold temperature. Landlord finally replaced it, new one works much better but have had one or two times in the past week where the temperature spikes (not quite out of freezing per internal thermometer, but enough that there's frost crystals in places) then comes back down. Still narrowing down the cause, but it's happened while I've had windows open to cool off this weirdly hot apt (75 when heat is set to 66 and outside is low 50s), and it's been high humidity recently. I know humidity can interfere with some heating/cooling-related things and just ruling out the easy answers first.

If you have a french door fridge, the 'strip' in the middle separating the doors will definitely condense water droplets on it. The workaround (i discoverd a month after i got mine) is they generally have a switch to enable a heater in that strip to keep it warmer, so water doesn't condense. Main negative is slightly more power draw.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've got 40 or so cinder blocks the previous owner left in the backyard. Before I haul them down to the dump, is there anything neat I could do with them? I have a big empty backyard and it's mostly just used by the dog for crappin.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Toebone posted:

I've got 40 or so cinder blocks the previous owner left in the backyard. Before I haul them down to the dump, is there anything neat I could do with them? I have a big empty backyard and it's mostly just used by the dog for crappin.

Put them on the curb and put a "free" post on Craigslist and watch them disappear in a day.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Toebone posted:

You could use them as miniature raised planters - the hollows would be good for keeping seedlings isolated and easier to transplant into larger beds. Or if you have small children, stack them into an epic brutalist fortress for the plastic dinosaur army.

But if you don’t have any use for them just put them on the curb with a “free cinderblocks” note/NextDoor curb alert/Craigslist post.

I had a spider-infested pile of 200+ bricks in the backyard when I moved in, in addition to more bricks in the basement. Keeping them because they match the house and would come in handy if I ever needed to do brick work on the exterior (one of my giant peeves is poorly matched brick repair work/ bricked-in windows - always looks like complete rear end and I won’t stand for it on my house). My spare bricks are currently in use as a cute little patio platform for the garbage cans and flowerbed edging. But unlike my bricks that are the exact right shade of buff that they don’t make anymore, cinderblocks are generic so no point in holding onto them just because you might need them someday.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You could make a basic rear end fire pit with em.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/diy-fire-pit/

Can Bob Vila be wrong!?!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

You could make a basic rear end fire pit with em.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/diy-fire-pit/

Can Bob Vila be wrong!?!

Looks like he can be wrong, because cinder blocks hold water and will therefore spall if you get the fire too hot. This is why fire bricks are a specific thing.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
And by "spall" moronic means explode.

Question for the hive. I've been getting quotes for a roof replacement, as cheap as 8k all the way up to 17k. The shingles are the same brand, but some of the other materials vary. Cheap one specs 15 lb felt paper, expensive one is CertainTeed synthetic underlayment. Is there any good reason to pay extra? To me it seems like a roof is a binary thing, it either leaks or it doesn't.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

couldcareless posted:

Put them on the curb and put a "free" post on Craigslist and watch them disappear in a day.
This is always the answer. That or ask someone to get them out of your yard but that may bring with it a bunch of annoying conversations and possibly people wanting to drive on your lawn.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy Nothing groups on Facebook are also a great way to get rid of stuff. We call it the trash group.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

NomNomNom posted:

Question for the hive. I've been getting quotes for a roof replacement, as cheap as 8k all the way up to 17k. The shingles are the same brand, but some of the other materials vary. Cheap one specs 15 lb felt paper, expensive one is CertainTeed synthetic underlayment. Is there any good reason to pay extra? To me it seems like a roof is a binary thing, it either leaks or it doesn't.

Most brands manufacturer a couple of different types, and then within those types there is variation in price based on color/appearance. So if the quotes just say 'Owens Corning asphalt shingles' there may be a price swing hidden in the rest of the shingle specification that the subcontractor hasn't written out.

Couple things to check:
1. How are they removing the existing roof? One company might park their debris trailer on the street and haul everything over, another might be quoting driving it onto your yard
2. Are they removing the existing roof, or just installing over the existing shingles? I think they are all removing since you mention they are specifying underlayment
3. Are they replacing any flashing in their base quote?
4. Are they removing gutters to avoid damage, or just letting it ride?
5. Are there low-slope areas (under 4:12 but above 2:12) and you are specifying architectural style shingles? If this is the case, there is industry guidance about how to prepare underlayment in this condition that one contractor may be following and the other one is not.
6. Did one contractor inspect the sheathing from below and decide that they need to go over board sheathing because the gaps exceed the maximum recommended by the manufacturer, and the other did not?

These are just some possibilities - some pretty rare depending on your market area (like, board sheathing only applies to much older homes). I usually like to see a number that is around $400-500 per square (100 square feet) installed here in the Midwest for a clean install, no call-backs. Of course, unusually simple or unusually complex roofs won't line up with this guesstimate and certainly all markets vary in average cost.

If you have two widely varying costs, get a third quote (if the quotes were closer, I wouldn't be recommending this - but 8k/17k is a hell of a swing). Then go with the contractor that you like the most that isn't the lowest cost.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tezer posted:

Most brands manufacturer a couple of different types, and then within those types there is variation in price based on color/appearance. So if the quotes just say 'Owens Corning asphalt shingles' there may be a price swing hidden in the rest of the shingle specification that the subcontractor hasn't written out.

There is nothing wrong with asking the contractor to put the whole part number on their bid for such a critical element of a roofing job, too.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Has anyone here had experience with resealing/relining pipes going from a bathroom to a septic tank?

We bought this house last year and are slowly getting through a list of stuff to fix and we're finally at the last major item. The 2nd bathroom has old cast iron and clay pipes that lead outside to the new pipes in the septic tank. Someone gave us a quote for about 5k to jackhammer up the floor and replace the pipes that way, however this old house got me looking at the re-lining of pipes. It seems like it'd be 2/5 the price of excavating the old ones out. If it matters, the cast iron pipe is degrading at the bottom and some of the joints between cast iron and clay pipes are bad and some are misaligned but not leaking. It's all under a foundation slab as well.

Would having someone reline the pipes be a reasonable solution and could it be more cost effective?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

There is nothing wrong with asking the contractor to put the whole part number on their bid for such a critical element of a roofing job, too.

Ya, I wasn't terribly clear there - the contract should say exactly what they are installing. With shingles it's pretty easy. <Manufacturer> <Line> <Appearance> will get you there with the brands I'm familiar with.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i said i didn't want a pool

i said i wouldn't get a pool

i caved

and now it's loving me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A neighbor's pool caved in in florida. Don't tease me.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uh.. geotechnical issues? I haven’t really heard of that in the Midwest. In Florida I’ve heard of plenty on the beach that got filled in during hurricanes :). Luckily I have a dredger.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

no i just have a leak in the tile line

so i have to have the tiles removed. which requires the coping pavers to be removed. which means i should just redo the crappy pavers. which means i should demo the badly constructed screened awning.

i was gonna do all this stuff eventually, it just wasn't going to be this week.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

falz posted:

This is always the answer.

Heck, I don't even need any cinderblocks and if I saw a pile of them down the street with a "free" sign on them, I'd take at least six.

Maybe I'll need something to hold down a tarp or something?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

Uh.. geotechnical issues? I haven’t really heard of that in the Midwest. In Florida I’ve heard of plenty on the beach that got filled in during hurricanes :). Luckily I have a dredger.

Yeah. House got condemned too. It was sliding into the swamp that abutted all of our houses. It's how/why I learned how to build a retaining wall, so our house wouldn't do the same.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

falz posted:

This is always the answer. That or ask someone to get them out of your yard but that may bring with it a bunch of annoying conversations and possibly people wanting to drive on your lawn.

The first summer after I bought my first home, I was clearing out some ugly pavers that the PO had used to sort of vertically line the edge of a garden. I moved one wheelbarrow full from the backyard, piled them up on the curb, and they were gone before I brought out the next wheelbarrow load. I almost felt bad because whoever got the first batch could have gotten more/the rest if the wanted, but another fellow came along and got the remainder, so...share the wealth, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Repainting bathroom walls: is satin finish glossy enough, or do I need to go to semi-gloss? The bathroom is having a vent fan installed but there will still be plenty of showers in there.

Also holy poo poo I can't believe how much of a difference a series of minor cosmetic upgrades can make to the look of a place. The house is coming together wonderfully, thanks all for the valuable information upthread.