Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Alan Wake is pretty much what Control would be like if you didn't even get powers to mix it all up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

A visible charge-up sequence makes any beam weapon better. Ominous hum obligatory.

that like increasing frequency capacitor charge noise

Macaluso posted:

I didn't like Control's combat much at all so I would've loved it if the game was just more exploring and finding documents about the various things that are being kept there. That part was easily the highlight for me. The game really nailed the setting they were going for, I just found the combat annoying and tedious and every fight felt like it took an eternity. Despite that the maze section was still awesome (the two "boss fights" afterwards made me want to die though).

I kind of felt the same way about Alan Wake though so. I think Remedy just knocks it out of the park when it comes to tone and setting.

God imagine Control without the loving interminable combat sections. Or they're replaced with some kinda fast n' deadly psychokinetic melee combat

Hey if you're playing Control turn the difficulty down to zero to make the combat sections as short as possible

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 25, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've been trying out some isometric action rpg games like Tyranny and Wasteland 3 for the first time but man the loving combat feels so awful coming off of XCOM 2. I swear I had more bullshit misses in Wasteland 3 recently than I ever did in XCOM. I wish I could smush the story of one of those games into XCOM2 and create the perfect experience.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Time for you to play the best XCOM game: Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Time for you to play the best XCOM game: Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Oh I have, I loved it. Idk why Wasteland didn't just take XCOM's design but it feels like there are so many open spaces, you take so much damage constantly, and the perks take a long time to gain. Just feels unsatisfying.

Idk why I'm bothering trying to start a new RPG when I have MH Rise preloading right now though lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
NG2: The worm boss in the Amazon can gently caress right off. Not because it's hard because it's not but because whenever you die you then have to redo a 10 minute slog of slicing through hundreds of bugs that aren't a challenge at all

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Acerbatus posted:

What in the god drat

Mgs4 is a good game. The B&B ladies are not good characters.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What Ah’m Playing (WAP)

Pillars of eternity 1 (hoping to do a 100% run of it and poe2)
Baldur’s Gate 1 (hoping to do a 100% run of it and bg2 and tob)
Crusader kings 3 (new patch + small dlc came out)
King of Retail (fun, janky management game in early access)
Valheim (almost done I think)
Euro truck sim 2 (for podcast listening)
Hades (looking to 100% it)

Also monter train dlc is out / coming out?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkoni posted:

Mgs4 is a good game. The B&B ladies are not good characters.

It might just be because Crying Wolf drowns out the others with how bad it is, but I really don't remember the fights being good for the most part. RAY and Liquid Ocelot were good.

The fight with Vamp was pretty much a joke, and uh do the Haven Troopers even count as a boss? :shrug:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the actual B&B fights range from fine to great

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Acerbatus posted:

It might just be because Crying Wolf drowns out the others with how bad it is, but I really don't remember the fights being good for the most part. RAY and Liquid Ocelot were good.

The fight with Vamp was pretty much a joke, and uh do the Haven Troopers even count as a boss? :shrug:

Different strokes and all that i guess. I don't typically like the boss fights in mgs as traditional boss fights. I like the stealth aspect of the series a whole bunch and the bosses are a nice break from having to be super sneaky, but aren't really a huge draw otherwise, for me at least. It's been a while since I've gone through 1-4 so maybe my opinion will change. I just remember the fights in 4 being more fun and engaging than the others.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crying wolf sucks because it calls back really hard to the sniper duels of MGS 1 and 3, but instead of being a sniper duel you have to fight a bunch of frogs, you aren't using the same weapon, and you can just shooting crying wolf while she runs around like a dumbass because she can't even attack you in a bunch of places.

Raging Raven I completely forget, Laughing Octopus was fine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I didn't like Control's combat much at all so I would've loved it if the game was just more exploring and finding documents about the various things that are being kept there. That part was easily the highlight for me. The game really nailed the setting they were going for, I just found the combat annoying and tedious and every fight felt like it took an eternity. Despite that the maze section was still awesome (the two "boss fights" afterwards made me want to die though).

I kind of felt the same way about Alan Wake though so. I think Remedy just knocks it out of the park when it comes to tone and setting.

Yeah, I'm glad I only played after they added the godmode options. Hilariously I still don't have the mission complete for "kill 50 enemies without dying." Seriously, I'm invincible and I still mange to die before killing 50 things in a row. Every time it's annoying, I don't care about the currency you lose, not sure what that currency is even for, I bet if you did care it would suck. It's just annoying to go back to a control point to respawn because you slowly levitated down and endless pit and they didn't want to ever give you a wall-jump or something to reset. If the "boss fight" you mean is that annoying astral plane gauntlet, blegh, even with one-hit kills on that segment took ages and there wasn't even a twist or boss fight like several other actual boss fights before.

The combat even with cheats on makes me put the down the game each night. Last night I was just trying to pop some mold growths, right, just a flavorful sidetask from the janitor... except I can't find one of the mold thingies, lookin' everywhere in this medical wing section. Unfortunately, every time you cross a threshold from one area to another, the game rolls a dice for a random encounter. Me going in-and-out of this tiny section looking for one specific magic mold spot I triggered five different encounters in this same tiny goddamn room.

I've still got mysteries to uncover, I'm actively avoiding going to the hotline just in case there's like an extra ending or something if I solve these other problems first, Dylan in a coma feels like 'bad-ending' kind of thing. Still havent ended the hiss threat or found Darling, nor uncovered what kind of demigod Ahti is

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Acerbatus posted:

crying wolf sucks because it calls back really hard to the sniper duels of MGS 1 and 3, but instead of being a sniper duel you have to fight a bunch of frogs, you aren't using the same weapon, and you can just shooting crying wolf while she runs around like a dumbass because she can't even attack you in a bunch of places.

Raging Raven I completely forget, Laughing Octopus was fine.

And then you can trigger photo mode after you beat them which makes them pose for you while covered in totally not amniotic fluid.

...words & deeds indeed, Kojima. :cripes:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here are my quick and dirty reviews of the mgs2 bosses that I remember, I’m doing this for me

Olga: very good, has fun with first person aiming
Is that it until fatman?
Fatman: nothing special, but his final bomb is good and funny and clever
Fortune: visually spectacular explosions, not fun though
The jet: nothing special
Vamp: annoying, also i guess nanomachines give him the power to use ninja shadow magicks?
All the metal gears: stupid, hard to be scared of these mechs if any guy with a rocket launcher can double tap them with ease
Solidus: anime

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah Olga's the only boss on the tanker. technically the mercenaries in the elevator are presented as a mini-boss, same with the Tengus later on.

I think you're underrating Fatman, he was pretty different from other fights with some of the hide and go seek/bomb diffusal stuff.

But yeah, Fatman, Solidus and maybe Olga are the only bosses I liked much in MGS2.

I think overall if a boss fight is good or not is partially affected by the narrative context that they take place in, so overall I like MGS1's the most, I think. The End and The Sorrow are awesome but Pain, Fear and Fury are barely characters.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh the end and the sorrow are like, probably top 20 in all of video games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Surprised we don’t see more sniper duels in video games. Though the sheer amount of goofy tactics and events with The End would be hard to beat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My buddy was making fun of me for playing Cyberpunk 2077 at first without letting anyone die just because of one ps2 boss fight 15 years ago. It's a little sad how MGS5 had nothing like that at all despite the hundreds of men I recruited to take under my wing instead of murdering them on sight. So many digital souls saved and unacknowledged by their games, The Sorrow weeps invisibly in all of them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jay Rust posted:

Surprised we don’t see more sniper duels in video games. Though the sheer amount of goofy tactics and events with The End would be hard to beat.
Probably because they're honestly just kind of boring without that amount of goofy, offbeat stuff. Look at something like the first Sniper Wolf encounter in Metal Gear Solid 1 for an example of that: just sitting behind a wall for ten minutes, playing whack-a-mole with a gun and hoping that you'll get her before she gets you. Making a sniper duel fun requires investing a lot of creative effort into stuff that doesn't really have to do all that much with the fight itself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you're having a proper sniper dual with Sniper Wolf, you're doing it wrong. Pull out that Nikita BABY

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i like these cool drawings of smash characters in fashionable clothes

https://twitter.com/raspbearyart/status/1111101258750844928

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
love luigi in the blues clues guy clothes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Would wear the hell out of this Zelda look

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mega man got his arm back

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Acerbatus posted:

I think overall if a boss fight is good or not is partially affected by the narrative context that they take place in, so overall I like MGS1's the most, I think. The End and The Sorrow are awesome but Pain, Fear and Fury are barely characters.

Jay Rust posted:

Oh the end and the sorrow are like, probably top 20 in all of video games
https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1367137798126469123

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

Mega man got his arm back

While Mega Man can remove his armor and revert to his original childlike form, he doesn't have such skinny human proportions b/c of internal mechanics necessary for his functions. He's got big Popeye forearms and chunky shins. This child is an impostor.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Games I'm playing:

Breath of the Wild (not sure what my goal is)
Infinite Space (need to grind)
Detective Pikachu (just haven't touched it in a while)
Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (same)

I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
WAP

custom robo arena: i loved the gamecube custom robo as a kid but never played this. the writing is a step back but it looks really good for a ds game
sekiro: i just wanna jump and grapple into every little corner i can find, the movement feels so good
sonic chronicles: almost back to where my last save kicked the bucket
pokemon altered emerald: this is so far the best pokemon hack I've played, i think. remixes a whole bunch of stuff, including area layouts
terraria calamity mod: just one more boss until i can summon an absurd number of friends
the hobbit: this starts with a bizarre action hero dream
super mario 3d world: unlocked rosalina, haven't played since

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

VideoGames posted:

A good wow?

Of course

WAP

lol I ain’t playing poo poo I’ve worked til 10pm two nights this week

Excited for MonHun this weekend though! If anyone’s interested, I’ll be streaming single player Friday night around 11pm est and “the boys” (ShallNoiseUpon, FlowerRhythmREMIX, and Relax or Die) and I are streaming multiplayer Saturday morning at 9am est. Both these occur at

http://twitch.tv/wuggsybogues

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm real confused cos i don't see a megaman up there

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

i'm real confused cos i don't see a megaman up there

He's next to Dedede.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He's next to Dedede.

o i thought that was lucas :doh:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Playing too many games :

Prey: This was my main focus for some time, think I'm about halfway trough the story. Haven't played it for a couple of days now, no real reason, will probably return to it.
Zelda Links Awakening Remake: Playing this in short bursts now and then, mostly when I can't sleep. (which is ironic??)
Aoe2:DE: If my E-friends want to play, I'll play a match or two.
Valheim: Got to the current last boss, so more or less done until the next content patch. Great game
Octopath: This just got released on Gamepass. Not sure if I'll stick with this or not.
Yakuza 6: Downloaded this too. I'll probably skip Y3-5 and just start this instead.
FFXII:Gamepass again. downloaded this and played for way longer than I anticipated. Thinking of playing the PS2 version instead since I completed the Zodiac Age on PS4 not long ago.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember this game?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember this game?

Yeah, my little brother had it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember this game?

no, is it any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember this game?

Never heard of it, how is it?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Needed switch games. Got Odallus and that other game by that same dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
13 Sentinels is real good, Keitaro is the best sorry to those that disagree