Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HerraS posted:

Can we get DLC that isnt about boring rear end white people? They put India and Tibet on the map from the get go and the poo poo that goes on in there is a billion times more interesting than bibleland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7K4vGYL9zI

Sequel to sunset invasion but it's a guaranteed Chakravarti with unlimited invasion causus bellis and targeting trained on on Europe imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I've been afraid to open the Family Tree UI after it crashed my game one time
They folded the tree by default to only show immediate family and ancestors so this won't happen.

Well, I guess you could seduce your way to a couple dozen kids and then grandkids and further grandpeeps.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 24, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RIP Duke Haesteinn of Tuscany. You took as your third wife the young court physician who saved your life and managed to have two more sons at the ripe old age of 103, throwing a massive spanner in my otherwise straightforward looking succession. But you lived a great life and I can’t blame you for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any outstanding issues with the game right now? A good friend bought me Northern Lords and I'm going to do tall Sicily with Haesteinn and just become the nightmare of the Mediterranean.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
make sure to get the beta branch. it fixes a big problem with raiding.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Zane posted:

make sure to get the beta branch. it fixes a big problem with raiding.
beta was released to live today

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
re notetaking: I use the "rename anyone" mod and give people nicknames so I can keep better track of them and whether I like them or not

not really for optimal play / long-term planning but fun nonetheless

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PittTheElder posted:

The peace time AI seems to be really bad too. Is there a debug mode you can use to see what the hell they are trying to do at any particular moment?

Sort of, but it's not highly informative and could definitely be made a bit more visual in how it communicates its details..

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anno posted:

RIP Duke Haesteinn of Tuscany. You took as your third wife the young court physician who saved your life and managed to have two more sons at the ripe old age of 103, throwing a massive spanner in my otherwise straightforward looking succession. But you lived a great life and I can’t blame you for it.

How did you take Tuscany specifically as Haesteinn? My wife and I started a game with him last night and were considering doing that because I'd seen several posts about it, but Tuscany is very much not independent in the 867 start, so we would have had to take all of Italy. Which probably would have been doable, but still - several people have mentioned taking Tuscany specifically with him. Is there a mechanic here that I'm missing?

We ended up Varangian Adventuring Bohemia instead because it's a pretty nice duchy.

Unrelated: I really wish you could pick who gets what in inheritance rather than it being effectively completely random.

Anno
May 10, 2017

shortspecialbus posted:

How did you take Tuscany specifically as Haesteinn? My wife and I started a game with him last night and were considering doing that because I'd seen several posts about it, but Tuscany is very much not independent in the 867 start, so we would have had to take all of Italy. Which probably would have been doable, but still - several people have mentioned taking Tuscany specifically with him. Is there a mechanic here that I'm missing?

We ended up Varangian Adventuring Bohemia instead because it's a pretty nice duchy.

Unrelated: I really wish you could pick who gets what in inheritance rather than it being effectively completely random.

I only had to conquer maybe like a fifth of Italy. The rest I got by continually smashing their army. Yours punches so hard with all the event troops and you start with enough money to hire plenty of mercs. I just hired a medium-cost band with lots of light cav, my veterans beat them on the field and then the horses rode them down. And that was with them allying I think West Francia.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Anno posted:

I only had to conquer maybe like a fifth of Italy. The rest I got by continually smashing their army. Yours punches so hard with all the event troops and you start with enough money to hire plenty of mercs. I just hired a medium-cost band with lots of light cav, my veterans beat them on the field and then the horses rode them down. And that was with them allying I think West Francia.

Rephrase of my question: How was your title Jarl of Tuscany or whatever rather than King of Italy, since I'm fairly certain that you have to declare war against the kingdom-level title, and therefore take the whole kingdom? Or is that what you did and just kept Tuscany for yourself and called it Tuscany? That would clear up my confusion if that's all it was.

Anno
May 10, 2017

shortspecialbus posted:

Rephrase of my question: How was your title Jarl of Tuscany or whatever rather than King of Italy, since I'm fairly certain that you have to declare war against the kingdom-level title, and therefore take the whole kingdom? Or is that what you did and just kept Tuscany for yourself and called it Tuscany? That would clear up my confusion if that's all it was.

Ah ok I see. The Varangian Adventures target either a county or a duchy. Doesn’t have to be independent. You still have to beat the King of Italy, but your reward is whichever of his duchies/counties you chose when declaring.

Also there’s a new mod that adds some more melting pots for Norse culture, including one for Tuscany, if you want to change into something else while retaining your fun Norse techs.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2431631297&searchtext=

Anno fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 24, 2021

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

After some fiddling around and clicking maps for a few hours I have concluded that making yourself the King of Burma (or Pagan as it was called then) is the best most fun Wacky Haesteinn Adventure

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got owned in CK3 all multiple times yesterday. I'm starting to think I'm not good at the game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got owned in CK3 all multiple times yesterday. I'm starting to think I'm not good at the game.

Being bad at CK is the best way to play. Hit "random character" and roleplay the poo poo out of whatever loser you get and each failson in turn. It's way more fun than playing well.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Anno posted:

Ah ok I see. The Varangian Adventures target either a county or a duchy. Doesn’t have to be independent. You still have to beat the King of Italy, but your reward is whichever of his duchies/counties you chose when declaring.

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks!

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I used to worry about this too before I realised that being Owned in CK3 is absolutely the way to some madcap fun. Gunning for a wild Intrigue play makes a lot of sense when your character is desperate, because what do they have to lose?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being bad at CK is the best way to play. Hit "random character" and roleplay the poo poo out of whatever loser you get and each failson in turn. It's way more fun than playing well.

Basically this. Trainwrecking your way to greatness is so fun

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HerraS posted:

After some fiddling around and clicking maps for a few hours I have concluded that making yourself the King of Burma (or Pagan as it was called then) is the best most fun Wacky Haesteinn Adventure

Thought of nordic style Stupas and Elephants with battle axes and smiled.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

HerraS posted:

I always do like playing in that area, my current game I've moved down there with Dyre. Vengipura is my capital though because of the gold mine.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CK3 is the most fun map game to lose at, which is why I love it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothBear posted:

CK3 is the most fun map game to lose at, which is why I love it.

Exactly, which is why I really wish the AI was more capable. This Rurikid game I've had a couple of my brothers challenge me to duels for my top level title (duels they were likely to win), only to back down when I accepted (because I wanted the challenge of rebuilding).

Also feudalizing in this patch has really left me with mixed feelings. On one hand it's very good that Temple and City holdings get created now (but still silly that cities aren't on the map beforehand...), but on the other hand why on earth did they have to get plopped down on my precious Farmlands baronies. Really wish I could replace those.
:negative:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 24, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah a more capable AI and being able to play as unlanded so that losing your title isn't an instant game over would make this game truly spectacular.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
CK2 AI wanst amazing but it was good enough, to me

CK3 AI really is noticeable worst, specially at combat

I hope they can bring it at least to CK2 level

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've never seen the AI offer concubines before, I guess they added it in the patch?

She has 24 intrigue and likes me, so new spymaster it is. This is clearly not a trap.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is, indeed, added in this patch.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The AI keeps offering me Lover's Pox afflicted concubines

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly, which is why I really wish the AI was more capable. This Rurikid game I've had a couple of my brothers challenge me to duels for my top level title (duels they were likely to win), only to back down when I accepted (because I wanted the challenge of rebuilding).

Also feudalizing in this patch has really left me with mixed feelings. On one hand it's very good that Temple and City holdings get created now (but still silly that cities aren't on the map beforehand...), but on the other hand why on earth did they have to get plopped down on my precious Farmlands baronies. Really wish I could replace those.
:negative:

That's how feudalizing has worked since I started playing in.... um.... December? December, I think. Anyway, I keep meaning to repeatedly reload a save and re-feudalize and see if it's always the same places; usually I only actually control one county, because that way I know my heir will get everything, so it'll be easy to tell if it's alphabetical or whatever. I would really like to be able to get to choose where the temples and cities go.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah I know that change was a while ago, I just haven't played in ages.

But yeah holding multiple Baronies in a county has it's ups and downs. But notably they can't ever be stripped away from you by partition, so a county with a bunch of farmland holdings (and their amazing buildings) lets you punch way above your weight even as a one county count.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Traxis posted:

The AI keeps offering me Lover's Pox afflicted concubines

They can't fight worth a drat but at least they have a sense of humor.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I love the slight eugenics gameplay with the traits. I am sad I just now learned that two characters with the same trait is the way to ensure that said trait gets passed down / improved.
is it common for the AI to be able to form the holy Roman empire from the earlier start date? Because in my current game East Franconia got taken over by Haesteinn and it's looking all sorts of goofy over there

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

is it common for the AI to be able to form the holy Roman empire from the earlier start date? Because in my current game East Franconia got taken over by Haesteinn and it's looking all sorts of goofy over there

I've never seen it form from 867, but I have seen it get destroyed and recreated in a 1066 game. I would imagine the actual decision to restore the HRE is probably too hard for the AI to do on its own with any regularity, but it doesn't seem completely impossible (just mostly).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
17 hours into my first game and i did it

africa rules

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

God I wish you could merge some of your Norse techs into a culture group when taking the Adopt Local Customs decision. It feels to ridiculous to lose Longboats when you go native in Russia, and I don't want to have to genocide Finns to get them back

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The flavour is fun but I wish the ai was a bit smarter. Is it really hard to have them calculate whether they will lose a battle or not? Smashing everyone around me with ease because the ai doesn’t understand men at arms are better than old McDonald with a pitchfork.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I knew I should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

God I wish you could merge some of your Norse techs into a culture group when taking the Adopt Local Customs decision. It feels to ridiculous to lose Longboats when you go native in Russia, and I don't want to have to genocide Finns to get them back

What exactly is the upside of adopting local customs vs staying norse?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you stop getting that annoying “northern army” invades with 8k starving troops that are easily dispatched

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You get some (semi?)permanent dynasty bonuses as well when you settle.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

AnEdgelord posted:

You get some (semi?)permanent dynasty bonuses as well when you settle.

You get a Dynasty bonus that keeps Norse raiders from attacking you, for 80 years. Doesn't seem all that compelling when Norse have all the fun new events and Men at Arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anno posted:

Also there’s a new mod that adds some more melting pots for Norse culture, including one for Tuscany, if you want to change into something else while retaining your fun Norse techs.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2431631297&searchtext=

Did you guys miss this mod? Looks neat. Also lol @ the username “average cousin enjoyer”