Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gio Gonzalez decided to retire today

Covid claims a career :smith:

The two seasons prior to the hell year he was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sydin posted:

The Cubs have Bryant, Javy, and Rizzo all potentially walking after this year, there are segments of the fandom who will riot for each of them being allowed to walk, and the Cubs are absolutely not spending to retain all three in FA.

I guess the good news is you guys wont miss them next year. Mainly because there wont be a season next year.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
:toot: Happy opening day in NPB. Regular season starts in 10 hours. :toot:

I made a dumb thread...
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963323

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Double post but new in the NPB thread this year is...

Some Japanese guy made a crazy detailed Fan-graphs lite NPB page. It is just not very user friendly and I have no idea where he got some of the information for the early NPB players but he seems to think that Sadaharu Oh had 177.2 total WAR.

And pitcher Jiro Noguchi had a single season 16.5 WAR in 1942. (40-17 in 527 innings)

only updated through 2019

http://npbstats.com/eng/

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 26, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Seems clear the Cubs are going to go for the classic “we tried” move with Baez. But maybe he’s the one guy from that core they retain for fan service?

Bryant is as good as gone and I expect him to be traded at the deadline; there's too much bad blood between him and the organization and the team is already planting stories in the Tribune and Sun-Times about how they plan to move forward without him. Baez is going to get the "we tried" PR play, the Cubs will make a big show about trying to retain him, but ultimately he will be allowed to walk. Rizzo will retire a Cub.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Bryant is as good as gone and I expect him to be traded at the deadline. Baez is going to get the "we tried" move. Rizzo will retire a Cub.

Not just Bryant, if the Cubs are well out of it at the deadline I could see a firesale. Half the rotation is guys on one year deals looking to rebuild their value, plus you've got Javy, Contreras, etc.

Of course knowing the Cubs what will probably happen is that at like 3-4 games out of the WC at the deadline they'll add around the margins, collapse in September, and watch half the roster walk for nothing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They could get a lot for Contreras by himself. There aren't that many good catchers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if eloy did a schwarber return in the playoffs

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I could care less about Bryant at this point. I don't think he's ever going to put up the consistent numbers he had in 2015-16, he always seems to have been battling through an injury that's got his mechanics all screwed up, and he's going to cost a lot.

I want Javy, Contreras, and Rizzo to retire as Cubs but it's unlikely that will happen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

more falafel please posted:

I could care less about Bryant at this point. I don't think he's ever going to put up the consistent numbers he had in 2015-16, he always seems to have been battling through an injury that's got his mechanics all screwed up, and he's going to cost a lot.

The thing with Bryant is that he's never taken the time to heal his shoulder from when he initially hosed it up back in 2018 (and he had some nagging injuries in 2017 that he never allowed to fully recover, as well). I think he also played most of last year with a broken wrist. Combine that with his very long swing and it's a recipe for bad juju; it's just become far too easy to jam him up and inside. I don't think he'll ever achieve his true potential of being a steady .300 hitter with 30 HR every year, unfortunately, but that just continues the long history of Cubs superstar prospects getting mauled by wolves.

I do wonder what would happen with Bryant, though, if he started working with a hitting coach who wasn't his father. I can't help but wonder if there are some awful habits that neither he nor his dad are recognizing.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Video game nonsense update: The new career mode in The Show 21 sounds kinda weird, for those interested. They let you be a two way player, and try to give you a narrative for your player through pre-recorded podcast episodes. Really not a fan of the character progression changes, though. It sounds more frustrating and limiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtLJrNcW-vM

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The devs philosophy wrt RTTS has been weird for a while now. Starting with 18 you're basically forced to be a middle round pick at best, and the cap/archetype system makes it really tedious to make a player that doesn't conform to a traditional mold. Now 21 makes it seem like it's even more restrictive, with hard limits on how much you can load your player up. It also kinda sounds like you can only have one RTTS character now instead of a bunch because they want them to be usable in DD, which loving sucks because I loved making a random assortment of weidos.

Like nobody is playing RTTS to be a scrappy middle round .250/.320/.430 utility IF, they're playing it to either gently caress around with unothodox characters or to enjoy a power fantasy of hitting .400 with 70 HR's while playing GG SS.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man I'm sure enjoying watching Astros fans fall over themselves to explain why 6/120 is a great offer for Correa and if anything it's overpaying him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Man I'm sure enjoying watching Astros fans fall over themselves to explain why 6/120 is a great offer for Correa and if anything it's overpaying him

20m/year is laughable and the Astros should rightfully be tarred and feathered for such a lowball, but I do think a 6 year extension for a guy with Correa’s injury history is a bit foolish. They should have offered a 3-4 year deal with an actual proper salary.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Other than the weird back thing Correa's injury history is just weird poo poo. Like tearing a thumb ligament on a catcher's shinguard on a slide. Or breaking his leg on another slide

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sure, weird poo poo like the thumb and the broken rib are obviously one-offs, but the back and neck thing is recurring.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

The devs philosophy wrt RTTS has been weird for a while now. Starting with 18 you're basically forced to be a middle round pick at best, and the cap/archetype system makes it really tedious to make a player that doesn't conform to a traditional mold. Now 21 makes it seem like it's even more restrictive, with hard limits on how much you can load your player up. It also kinda sounds like you can only have one RTTS character now instead of a bunch because they want them to be usable in DD, which loving sucks because I loved making a random assortment of weidos.

Like nobody is playing RTTS to be a scrappy middle round .250/.320/.430 utility IF, they're playing it to either gently caress around with unothodox characters or to enjoy a power fantasy of hitting .400 with 70 HR's while playing GG SS.

Honestly, the custom character stuff in Diamond Dynasty always sucks. I don't know why they'd merge it with RTTS when most people just want it completely gone from the mode. Seems like a lose lose.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

LeeMajors posted:

Alright--thread request. I don't play multiplayer at all but I'm either going to wait for 21 or buy The Show 20 today. It's on PS4 so the most coveted feature (design a stadium) is no longer a factor.

Should I just go ahead and pull the discount trigger on 20? That's sort of my gut feeling right now. I doubt Franchise will be improved that much. Or graphics on the same platform.

I haven't played one since 17 and I played the poo poo out of it.

The Show 20 is down to $5 on PSN right now so it may be worth grabbing it if you've got the itch to play it regardless of whether you decide to get The Show 21 later on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Squall posted:

The Show 20 is down to $5 on PSN right now so it may be worth grabbing it if you've got the itch to play it regardless of whether you decide to get The Show 21 later on.

JFC I bought it last night at 20 wtf

Not a big deal, but gently caress.

That's happened to me twice in the past year.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Squall posted:

Does it still have a ton of microtransaction stuff bolted on? Because that was such a turnoff.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your periodic reminder the team valuations are exploding so fast they could all run at a year to year loss and still make money for ownership

https://twitter.com/sportico/status/1375386127360724996?s=21

The average MLB franchise is now worth more than Guggenheim paid for the Dodgers 9 years ago. The Dodgers have apparently doubled in value since then.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Does it still have a ton of microtransaction stuff bolted on? Because that was such a turnoff.

not at all, at least for diamond dynasty. you can still buy "stubs" if you really want to but they release gobs of free content throughout the year. most of the best players in the game can't be bought.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Your periodic reminder the team valuations are exploding so fast they could all run at a year to year loss and still make money for ownership

The average MLB franchise is now worth more than Guggenheim paid for the Dodgers 9 years ago. The Dodgers have apparently doubled in value since then.

Turns out that giving massive amounts of money to rich people drives up the value of things rich people like because they have nowhere else to put the money besides stunting on each other.

Apr 7, 2003

Bob Nutting bought the Pirates in 1996 for $92m and now they're worth $1.35b. Looks like a good investment!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
how are these numbers even calculated? Do they just ask how people how much they would pay for a team? it’s not like teams are commodities or even publicly traded

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Bob Nutting bought the Pirates in 1996 for $92m and now they're worth $1.35b. Looks like a good investment!

And that's in addition the hundreds of millions he's pocketed!

Apr 7, 2003

I'm playing an OOTP 21 Pirates franchise and it's impossible to get ahead because the owner takes any revenue increases out at the start of a new year. Way too realistic.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tweezer Reprise posted:

how are these numbers even calculated? Do they just ask how people how much they would pay for a team? it’s not like teams are commodities or even publicly traded

If you really care, there is a fairly lengthy transparency and methodology section baked right into that article.

https://www.sportico.com/valuations/teams/2021/2021-mlb-teams-value-baseball-team-data-1234625755/

Click on "View Methodology" next to the red FEATURED STORY link.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Oh, thank you!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

bawfuls posted:

A nice article to go along with that https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2020-06-26/roster-mlb-billionaire-team-owners-who-rule-baseball How much each owner is worth, what they bought the team for and how much the team is worth now. Most of them bought the team for only a couple hundred million not too long ago and now they are worth billions. So they can all get hosed when they try to cry poverty because of one or two seasons without fans.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 26, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering the level of chuds among the players and owners I'd be surprised if it actually happened, but apparently the union wants to talk to MLB about moving the AS game out of Atlanta this year in response to their passing a bunch of laws that restrict voting rights:

https://twitter.com/MikeSilvermanBB/status/1375448029059284993

Apr 7, 2003

*grandpa voice* cancel culture!!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That legit surprises me they're even talking about it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That legit surprises me they're even talking about it.

Sounds like a solid strategy to me, on top of being the right thing to do. When, not if, the CBA negotiations blow up the owners will turn to their secret weapons with code names like Ren Kosenthal, Peff Jassan, or Geter Pammons (legacy division) to make sure their message spreads far and wide. Meanwhile, historically the players' side has been 20 seconds of Tom Glavine in an Izod shirt on Sportscenter. Even if MLBPA's activism is wallet deep like most of the Fortune 500 it's still for the greater good on a couple different fronts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1375541279568855045

lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Haha, La Stella owns. He was actually quite good with us considering he had such a limited pinch hitting roll.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That Sportico piece also has 2019 and 2020 revenues by team.

7 teams had 2019 revenues in excess of $400M
7 teams had 2019 revenues between $300M and $400M
The remaining 16 teams were between $200M and $300M

Even the impoverished Rays, Pirates, and A's all had 2019 revenues in excess of $200M. The Padres were over $300M. The "small market" Cardinals were 10th with $388M.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Love 2 run a $40m payroll when revenues are $220m.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Love 2 run a $40m payroll when revenues are $220m.

it's a good gig if you can get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1375541727348588552?s=20