Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
*wakes up, makes coffee, slams a painkiller, loads a bowl, grabs a brownie, sees a 3 and a half hour video about why MGS 4 was a mistake*

Well good morning to you all as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember this game?

yes actually, it's very cute! i was def too old for it but it wasn't the worst rental experience

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just remember seeing a bunch of ads for it, I never played it, but my fiancee had it and she said it was weird and kind of like a point and click adventure game and I think that's what the preview videos made it look like too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that game an isekai

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

hatty posted:

13 Sentinels is real good, Keitaro is the best sorry to those that disagree

:hmmyes: at least the best dude, Natsuno best girl.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

All the naysaying about mgs4 set my expectations low enough to really enjoy it. Its a mess of a game but the lows are balanced out by some truly great moments.

Mgs4 is... Good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

the "Guns of the Patriots" moment is good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that game an isekai

More like that goosebumps ghost in the mirror story, or I guess any story where someone falls into a reflective surface and ends up stuck in another world and needs to escape

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the "Guns of the Patriots" moment is good

Snake is the best character on screen at all times, unless Liquid is also there.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1375244291677782019?s=21

I don’t think anyone is still gonna be playing Balan Wonderworld, but if you are, the boss fight can apparently trigger seizure-type responses in people with no history of neurodivergence

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember Bowsette

https://twitter.com/Radicube64/status/1374728835959242764

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know what balan wonderworld is but it'd be pretty cool if game devs stopped trying to kill me.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't think I'm epileptic but flashing lights still make my eyes hurt, forget shipping a game, how do these people keep even making games this bad and just like, not notice even a little bit. Like, can other people seriously stare at a TV of rapidly flashing lights and not feel anything?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
At least Billy Hatcher and the loving gigantic-rear end egg never tried to kill the person playing his game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Borderlands could have killed me but instead it just gave me really nasty rugburn on my feet

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Near the end of Thimbleweed Park there was a room with flashing red lights that was painful to look at. Hope they’ve fixed it now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know where my 13S ranking post went but I am on #TeamYuki

When trying to remember all the characters off the top of my head I forgot about Megumi Yakushiji so I guess she's fallen to the lowest tier

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

wuggles posted:

and “the boys” (ShallNoiseUpon, FlowerRhythmREMIX, and Relax or Die)

Don't call us that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i played Magic Legends. this game seems like an accident, like it was designed by a cat walking across a keyboard, i have a hard time believing anything about it is intentioned. its a huge problem if your game hangs its hat on one big mechanic that ultimately makes zero sense, such as sticking all your ARPG abilities into a big deck and drawing them at random so there's zero opportunity for you to plan or strategize. like in any other ARPG you would set up your abilities with the intention of using them in a certain order, you have summons and stuff that you want to get up early, a basic rotation of damage spells and debuffs that you might want to cycle through, buttons that you might press in certain eventualities like idk corpse explosion in Diablo/PoE. Magic Legends has all that too, the design of the spells are pretty much identical to gems in PoE, you just, only have 4 out of 12 available to you at a time and you have to hope you get the ones that are actually useful, you might just not get your summon spells until the fight is over, you might get them twice in a row in which case they're useless because casting summon skeleton again doesnt summon more skeletons, it replaces the ones that are already out. do you need to heal? well there's a 1 in 12 chance you'll draw your heal spell, don't need to heal? well you can hang on to it but now you only have 3 slots in your hand to cycle spells. + there is zero permanent association between what button you press and what spell you cast which seems to me like an important thing in an ARPG, you set up your hotbar in a specific way and you know that hitting 1 will cast a fireball every time, here that spell constantly shifts around your bar as you draw it, and the only indication what button does what is glancing down at your hand and trying to discern what the icons mean. I'm a necromancer, all my cards are purple and have skeletons on them!! half the time I have zero idea what I'm actually casting at any given moment, other than if it has the sorcery icon or is a summon spell

its like an Artifact level of getting constrained by being overly adherent to the source material. dota has three lanes so obviously the dota card game needs to be three simultaneous card games, magic has cards so obviously the magic rpg has to be about building decks of cards. or more cynically, if you look at the store and how the spell upgrade system works, has to be about selling booster packs and enabling a secondary market for buying and selling cards and pages

also on top of all that, structurally the game makes zero sense also. huge wide open zones with absolutely nothing in them, you can go minutes running around them without seeing any enemies. which works out fine, because magic legends is not a loot game, there's barely any value to killing enemies because they don't drop anything interesting. almost all of your progress comes in big spikes opening chests at the end of instances which largely take the form of MMO style dungeons that are also largely empty (and have no side passages or optional treasure) or bad tower defense/arena fights, on daily and weekly timers. its a MMO mobage pretending to be a diabloesque

its a bad game

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

any of that would be forgivable if the buttons felt good to press, but they don't.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Don't call us that.

“the lads”

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dreamless posted:

any of that would be forgivable if the buttons felt good to press, but they don't.
i think the deck mechanic is a big part of why they don't though. in diablo or poe or whatever when you have a build that just wrecks poo poo because you have just the right buttons and you're pressing them real good, its easy to go "gently caress i'm so smart, i'm so good at this game". in a game where you are statistically very unlikely to even be able to press the button you want to press, you're never gonna have that kind of visceral enjoyment. at most you're gonna have the intellectual fun of building a balanced deck that gives you consistently good draws and holding cards until the right moment, but that's well beyond the point where pressing a button could ever Feel Good. if the game is even that deep, idk that it is

its like the difference between doing a scratch off and making a long term investment that might pay off between 5 to 10 years

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

“the lads”

My big strong gamers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
modpogs

but only for SNU

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

homeless snail posted:

i think the deck mechanic is a big part of why they don't though.

they messed up basic poo poo like making the enemies take damage and do their get hit animations as soon as the spell effects touch them, so it's hard for me to tell if any of the rest of the game worked. and like you said, the part where all your spells have the same icon and basically the same effect didn't help, either. it's funny, i hadn't realized how much heavy lifting magic's card names do--they're super evocative, and they really lose something when they're turned into generic colored explosions.

i was optimistic! like, baten kaitos wasn't amazing, but it was okay enough; drawing skills from a hand of cards needn't be this much of a failure.

e: crap, not baten kaitos, i'm thinking of something else: actionier, but also on the gamecube, maybe?

dreamless fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 26, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/frailgesture/status/1374480447300767749

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't Legends an ARPG?

I can think of a few real-time games with cards (Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories and Lost Kingdoms) that I liked, but it generally doesn't seem like a good genre for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dreamless posted:

e: crap, not baten kaitos, i'm thinking of something else: actionier, but also on the gamecube, maybe?

Lost Kingdoms. I get them mixed up all the time too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People like that One Step from Eden game but yeah that was the same deal for me, a real-time game where you draw a bunch of stuff at random, the cognitive burden of remembering what all the cards did and translating that into tactical decisions in the battlefield was not fun to me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i kinda liked magic battlegrounds, that worked okay as an action card game, but also 15 years later that game is just clash royale. its probably an idea that works a lot better pvp where you're directly comparing one deck against another

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Magic Legends is so bad that Day9, a man who is literally working for WotC doing ads and streams, said it was a 0/10 game that was fundamentally irredeemable.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People like that One Step from Eden game but yeah that was the same deal for me, a real-time game where you draw a bunch of stuff at random, the cognitive burden of remembering what all the cards did and translating that into tactical decisions in the battlefield was not fun to me

yeah, that was my one step from eden experience too. looking at a lost kingdoms video to refresh my memory, they let you use each card multiple times before it's discarded, which is a good compromise; it pushes the game towards "how do i best use this random subset of my abilities", which keeps things fresh, and away from "how good at am i at remembering icons and pressing buttons as fast as possible"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I legit just want a new Shandalar... an RPG where the battles are Magic matches. Like the Witcher with the Gwent Replacement Mod but with a good card game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If Cyberpunk had Netrunner the card game as a minigame I would have forgiven literally everything else it does wrong

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I legit just want a new Shandalar... an RPG where the battles are Magic matches. Like the Witcher with the Gwent Replacement Mod but with a good card game

I've been saying this!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

its been 30 years and no one has ever made a game anything like shandalar, its nuts. but someone did go and backport a bunch of modern cards into it so thats cool

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When we gonna get a card-based arpg about everyone's favorite x-man Gambit

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Has Gambit even been in anything recently? Game or otherwise, miss the dude tbh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

but with a good card game

gonna need something other than magic, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

homeless snail posted:

i played Magic Legends. this game seems like an accident, like it was designed by a cat walking across a keyboard, i have a hard time believing anything about it is intentioned. its a huge problem if your game hangs its hat on one big mechanic that ultimately makes zero sense, such as sticking all your ARPG abilities into a big deck and drawing them at random so there's zero opportunity for you to plan or strategize. like in any other ARPG you would set up your abilities with the intention of using them in a certain order, you have summons and stuff that you want to get up early, a basic rotation of damage spells and debuffs that you might want to cycle through, buttons that you might press in certain eventualities like idk corpse explosion in Diablo/PoE. Magic Legends has all that too, the design of the spells are pretty much identical to gems in PoE, you just, only have 4 out of 12 available to you at a time and you have to hope you get the ones that are actually useful, you might just not get your summon spells until the fight is over, you might get them twice in a row in which case they're useless because casting summon skeleton again doesnt summon more skeletons, it replaces the ones that are already out. do you need to heal? well there's a 1 in 12 chance you'll draw your heal spell, don't need to heal? well you can hang on to it but now you only have 3 slots in your hand to cycle spells. + there is zero permanent association between what button you press and what spell you cast which seems to me like an important thing in an ARPG, you set up your hotbar in a specific way and you know that hitting 1 will cast a fireball every time, here that spell constantly shifts around your bar as you draw it, and the only indication what button does what is glancing down at your hand and trying to discern what the icons mean. I'm a necromancer, all my cards are purple and have skeletons on them!! half the time I have zero idea what I'm actually casting at any given moment, other than if it has the sorcery icon or is a summon spell

its like an Artifact level of getting constrained by being overly adherent to the source material. dota has three lanes so obviously the dota card game needs to be three simultaneous card games, magic has cards so obviously the magic rpg has to be about building decks of cards. or more cynically, if you look at the store and how the spell upgrade system works, has to be about selling booster packs and enabling a secondary market for buying and selling cards and pages

also on top of all that, structurally the game makes zero sense also. huge wide open zones with absolutely nothing in them, you can go minutes running around them without seeing any enemies. which works out fine, because magic legends is not a loot game, there's barely any value to killing enemies because they don't drop anything interesting. almost all of your progress comes in big spikes opening chests at the end of instances which largely take the form of MMO style dungeons that are also largely empty (and have no side passages or optional treasure) or bad tower defense/arena fights, on daily and weekly timers. its a MMO mobage pretending to be a diabloesque

its a bad game

I think it could have been good if there was an actual desire to try and translate the mechanics of M:tG properly. I think they could have made the card gimmick work if they had actually gone all in on it instead of... well, a thin veneer over a bad game.