Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
I like the freeform field mod which removes the requirement that farm fields need to border eachother, letting you place them on the other side of that annoying road or whatever. It such a great quality of life improvement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So while simple the Docklands DLC is clean, easy to understand once you fiddle with it, and opens some interesting setups.

And just makes me more hungry for the rest of the season's DLC to come out.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Alkydere posted:

So while simple the Docklands DLC is clean, easy to understand once you fiddle with it, and opens some interesting setups.

And just makes me more hungry for the rest of the season's DLC to come out.

Same!

I'm so happy I can import coffee and rum now. Seems like no matter what I did I always needed one more sugar cane farm... one more rum distillery ... one more ship.

The new reefer ship is really nice as well :)

I've never really messed with Enbasa but I'm about to do so now!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what's the reefer ship do different form the normal cargo ship anyway? It just looks way cooler and goes a wee bit faster afaik

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Agean90 posted:

what's the reefer ship do different form the normal cargo ship anyway? It just looks way cooler and goes a wee bit faster afaik

It goes from world to world much faster apparently.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Agean90 posted:

100% faster travel time on the map

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Huh. Guess I needed to upgrade the coal delivery line to the artic then!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

There's a new ship? I missed out on that.

Meanwhile I sit here bouncing between "I wanna play!" and [brain screaming about how the next two DLCs will screw up balance and why even bother because I'll restart]

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

nuketulsa posted:

100% faster travel time on the map

This might actually get me to play the game again, the incredible slowness of world map travel was most of the reason I lost interest. Might have to wait for a sale to get all the DLC without paying a ridiculous amount though.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

If I get a set bonus in a museum does it apply to all regions or just the region the museum is on?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not even the region, just the island it's on.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I havent finished Enbesa again yet but I got a bug where the angereb guy wants me to gain access to the library... that I already have access to. I will probably restart again if this does not solve itself.

I love anno but I don't like the story quests after doing them several times.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Hey there folks, the current Ubisoft sales are tempting me to try out an Anno game, but as a complete newbie to the series I have no idea where to start. Inclination is i'll like the historicals more than the future stuff, but they'd still be interesting too and my primary concern is just finding the one that's the easiest introduction. Any advice? ...and also whether or not to buy directly from Ubisoft or if Steam's okay, because i've heard things about game delisting.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Steam’s fine for any games still on there. 1404 and 1800 are the two choices for historical titles imo. If you just want something cheap to see if you like the series pick up 1404 for like $7 or whatever it is right now. If you want to dive all the way in then 1800 is great, too. The series doesn’t change dramatically from iteration to iteration mechanically, so some of it also comes down to what time period you like.

Anno fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 20, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jossar posted:

Hey there folks, the current Ubisoft sales are tempting me to try out an Anno game, but as a complete newbie to the series I have no idea where to start. Inclination is i'll like the historicals more than the future stuff, but they'd still be interesting too and my primary concern is just finding the one that's the easiest introduction. Any advice? ...and also whether or not to buy directly from Ubisoft or if Steam's okay, because i've heard things about game delisting.

Anno 1404 is solid. 2070 is 1404 but futuristic and with some more UI stuff added. 2205 is a good game but completely different in so many ways it almost feels like a different franchise with Anno characters/references to previous games.

Honestly 1800 takes the best mechanics from all of them, smashes them together and comes out crazy awesome. It really is the best one in a lot of ways, including taking 2205's Move feature. Building was built one tile off? Literally just move it instead of demolishing and rebuilding!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jossar posted:

The newest game, 1800 might be your best bet, but is going to run you the most. Its pretty much the most refined version in the series, combining the QoL brought forth in 2205 without the shortcomings of that one.

2205 is very much new player friendly, but on top of the future setting you may not prefer, it has some shortcomings, like no random maps, no multiplayer, and lacks the typical enemy factions/companies that you'd normally compete with. It's still very much a very fun "Anno style" game if you're just looking for a city builder with logistics elements.

1404 or 2070 are mechanically/complexity similar to one another, but are a bit more obtuse/lack a lot of the QoL 2205 and 1800 have, but should be more then manageable with some additional resources (building ratios) if you want a cheaper entry point.

There's no real advantage to getting them on Steam (you cant for 1800 anymore) since they'll just end up launching Uplay.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks for the quick response! Based on people's advice i'm probably gonna grab 1404 and then see about moving to 2070 or 1800 if it pans out and I want more.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Seriously, we're all just waiting, itching to talk about Anno it's just there's...not much to talk about until the next DLC comes out or someone comes wandering in.

Seriously though 1404 is probably your best bet (Also known as "Dawn of Discovery" some places). 1800 is outright the best. 2070 is 1404 but near future-ish with underwater factories. 2205 is not bad but definitely not a good representation of the rest of the series.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If you play 1404 and find yourself thinking that the lack of a Move building option, the clunky field placement for farms, the land armies, or the constant Noria refill cycle are a pain in the rear end, just be aware that 1800 does away with all of that. If the fundamental gameplay loop of trade routes and logistics management don't click then it might just not be a good fit. If you are just really annoyed by some of the later mechanics in a game you like though, 1800 might be a better game to sink your teeth into.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Jossar posted:

Thanks for the quick response! Based on people's advice i'm probably gonna grab 1404 and then see about moving to 2070 or 1800 if it pans out and I want more.

If it clicks, say goodbye to sleep. The Anno games have always been the biggest "where did the time go?" games for me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

If it clicks, say goodbye to sleep. The Anno games have always been the biggest "where did the time go?" games for me.

"You've been playing for four hours - how about a cup of coffee?"

Mate, I'm just getting warmed up over here

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Alkydere posted:

Anno 1404 is solid. 2070 is 1404 but futuristic and with some more UI stuff added. 2205 is a good game but completely different in so many ways it almost feels like a different franchise with Anno characters/references to previous games.

Honestly 1800 takes the best mechanics from all of them, smashes them together and comes out crazy awesome. It really is the best one in a lot of ways, including taking 2205's Move feature. Building was built one tile off? Literally just move it instead of demolishing and rebuilding!

Anno 1404 is the best one yet, period. I have it on good authority.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Managing farming in the new world is pretty tough with all of the rivers and oil fields and stuff. I thought i had a good place to put my 32 coffee abomination, but i ran out of space about halfway through placing my farm tiles. Hmm. I'm debating on trying to move some roads and rails around and then having another go at it or trying to find another spot on that island.

EDIT: check this poo poo out (not my game, found it on reddit)

vandalism fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 27, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

1800 is beautiful and that person is a damned criminal :mad:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Been meaning to get back into this but I set the bar pretty high the first time when I was able to get 25k investors worth of goods on one New World island by building like that. I'm not sure I have that kind of min/max in me again with all the new poo poo but I'm also not sure my brain can play the game any other way.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 27, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
These own ^^^^

Bright harvest adds fuel depots and tractor barns but makes it so farms have additional squares... really nice but also artisan -> engineer level of revising your layouts. I just worked for 45 minutes to try to correctly fill up the space I chose but I think there are about 3 or 4 too many coffee plantations to be able to fully implement that layout. It appears that you need a very specific area (the one pictured) or something similar, because everything else in the new world is sliced up by rivers. I have an island like the one pictured but it is in use for a bunch of other unoptimized crap. I want to go the full 32 because now I know it is possible, but at the same time that is like 144 tons of coffee beans every minute and I don't think I need anywhere near that. My computer will fry and explode before that becomes a necessity. Maybe I should try it without the bright harvest stuff... eh. Then I will feel the same; I know it's possible but I'm not doing it to top efficiency. So much poo poo to optimize.

Also, anyone getting directx errors on dx12? I get them pretty consistently if I have chrome open and listen to poo poo on youtube in the background while I'm playing. At least I think that contributes.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 27, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

Anno 1404 is the best one yet, period. I have it on good authority.

1404 is good BUT 1800's fields and making an actually pretty island having an actual measurable in-game mechanics put it over 1404

Also I totally wanna do my best to try to make my own Mazz-tier bullshit (and prove to my brain I can fight my ADD) but they keep adding MORE DLC which means I can't make myself do an "ultimate" run because things will change.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 27, 2021

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I’ve decided to jump back in after popping in here today; playing the campaign again to feel out all the changes and then I’ll find a seed I like and aim for a 100k investor game. I always struggle when the pops get that large but 1800 is the first to really let you break the game in half with all the trade union and other bonuses so I think I’ll enjoy puzzling that together more than I did in like 1404/2700.

Also holy poo poo do silos own but man it puts even more emphasis on getting your grain and hops fields min/maxed early. Terrified of the impending tractor rework as noted; I assume the same route of getting commuter docks and then restructuring is still probably the safest play, if time consuming.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 27, 2021

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Another way to break the game; though not really optimal:

- Get the 200 free workforce thing
- Settle all the islands
- Link only these unpopulated Islands with commuter piers
- Stay under 100 additional populations from houses.
- Crank up the workload

You now have base 150% islands with 0 accidents or explosions cause that triggers at 100 active inhabitants.
If you use that you can make the mother of all explosive layouts and get away with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For me, I've started poking at a new game of Anno 2070. Not thrilled with where my starting warehouse plopped down, but I'll make it work.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Zedd posted:

Another way to break the game; though not really optimal:

- Get the 200 free workforce thing
- Settle all the islands
- Link only these unpopulated Islands with commuter piers
- Stay under 100 additional populations from houses.
- Crank up the workload

You now have base 150% islands with 0 accidents or explosions cause that triggers at 100 active inhabitants.
If you use that you can make the mother of all explosive layouts and get away with it.

This is definitely also a part of the overall strat, although I did a bit differently last time as when I played was right after release and Influence was much more restrictive so commuter piers were pretty limited.

I had a bunch of semi-effort posts from back then I'll re-link below (or just run back thru my post history but you'll see a lot of repeat info), but essentially I put different farmers/workers on one big first island, maxed it out, then only upgraded enough engineers to trigger commuter piers. Then I offloaded all production to one big hellscape island and cranked up conditions to 150% on top of electricity. Then all artisans, engineers and investors ended up on a final island that had like +4000 beauty via museum/zoo and covering the whole thing in temperate grove.

The big trick is that since nobody lives on hellscape island, you don't deal with any unhappiness penalty to your actual population, just increased incidents, but the giant increase in production and reduction in upkeep you get from that setup massively outweighs the issues as you just put down a shitload of fire and police stations to offset the risk.

Now this was done well before all the newer stuff was in play like silos, tractors, massively improving the item spawns, etc and well before they upped influence generation, so my eventual goal here is to turn this poo poo up to 11 and get 100k+ investors this time.

It does require a non-trivial amount of preplanning and layout work to really min/max, which is a bit daunting. Punching 100k investors into https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator/ spits out a total old / new world population of 434k in 18,900 houses of before modifiers :eyepop: Also, lol @ 227 gold mines.

Mazz posted:

Old world production :words:

Mazz posted:

Investor :words:

Mazz posted:

New world/trade union :words:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 27, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My issue is that I kinda just go along without a big plan. Need more bicycles? poo poo yeah I'll plop down some more caoutchaociuac plants back on my new world island and throw a couple of bike factories up in there. Need more canned food? time to plant some peppers! Then I realize that my poo poo is a huge mishmash of plants strewn about. I have bike factories on separate ends of the island. Coffee fields peppered around everywhere. It becomes a nightmare. I really like how you have all of your stuff together and I wanna play like that, but like you said your brain works that way... mine does not. I just throw poo poo around. I am not very organized IRL either. My desk is always a big mess of random poo poo thrown about everywhere but I can almost always find it.

Also, I tried that big 32 coffee plant monstrosity again and the patch if land where I plopped it wasn't big enough :( very sad day. Do I do a new island? New area? Why do anything else than the 32 layout if that is the most possible?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

vandalism posted:

My issue is that I kinda just go along without a big plan. Need more bicycles? poo poo yeah I'll plop down some more caoutchaociuac plants back on my new world island and throw a couple of bike factories up in there. Need more canned food? time to plant some peppers! Then I realize that my poo poo is a huge mishmash of plants strewn about. I have bike factories on separate ends of the island. Coffee fields peppered around everywhere. It becomes a nightmare. I really like how you have all of your stuff together and I wanna play like that, but like you said your brain works that way... mine does not. I just throw poo poo around. I am not very organized IRL either. My desk is always a big mess of random poo poo thrown about everywhere but I can almost always find it.

Also, I tried that big 32 coffee plant monstrosity again and the patch if land where I plopped it wasn't big enough :( very sad day. Do I do a new island? New area? Why do anything else than the 32 layout if that is the most possible?

So the pre-planning thing is how I try to get my poo poo together. To not spin plates endlessly as is typical for these games, you do need to have some end goal and a rough idea of the route there laid out right from the start of a game.

The first thing I attempt to figure out is my population targets and then work backward from there. In the above case, I wanted 100k investors so I'd need to figure out the rough populations for each tier to support the workload required, which is where the 434k pops and 19k houses numbers came from. Realistically you are going to trade union and bonus away huge chunks of that population but at a basic level that calculator I linked is essential for this as it will spit out all that info quickly and you can tinker with it till you have enough of each tier to meet the requirements, which will help you understand the required production chains. I recommend focusing on workers and farmers only at first, which I'll explain in a sec.

Once you have that basic idea in mind, you can start weaving in bonus stuff (via updating the % on the calcs) to reduce the actual population/resource requirements over time, in real time. By the time you get to the real dumb production chains you'll likely have access to oil and electricity available so there will be very little need to redesign everything, since you know right away you're gonna need 18 grain farms at 200% or whatever to support the pop tiers you've calculated out. At that point it just becomes of a matter of utilizing the space as well as you can, which will take some tinkering for sure but is totally doable.

That being said, the early game can still feel very disjointed as you unlock new things but the other big thing is that it really helps to take advantage of isolated pop tiers on specific islands being pooled once you get commuter piers. That game I highlighted above really only functioned because I was able to get my farmer/worker island completely tricked out before moving onto the rest of the game, and I was able to isolate 99% of their production on that island so they had very little being shipped in or out at any point. You really don't need to set up things like schnapps or wool with tractors or trade unions (silos are easy though), so you can you can get all this set up right from the start and basically eliminate farmer/workers as a factor from the later gameplay. While artisans need beer, soap and bread, you can offload those specifically to new chains on your hellworld production island or try to town hall them away.

Basically you have your "early game" where you get your farmer/worker population fully established, get just enough engineers for docks, then downgrade those houses back down to workers and start your new "late game" islands nearby, clean and ready for all the endgame poo poo like railroads.

A high time commitment up front for sure but it does work and will pay for itself later as you can containerize things in a sense and allows you to split the game into a "early/late" cycle and hopefully drastically reduce the amount of tear down and rebuild you have to consider later.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 27, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Have fun with Enbessa/Research when you get there Mazz. :v: Also the whole port district trade mechanics.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I think winging it on production and just building extra capacity as you need is it is completely fine until you're able to afford buying tons of specialists/recruiting them at the university. That's when optimizing trade unions to get the really crazy production bonuses and resource input replacements can pay off immensely. I like to grab a few spare islands at Cape Trelawney and leave them mostly unused until that point, and then you have tons of space to work with to set up mega factories.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

Have fun with Enbessa/Research when you get there Mazz. :v: Also the whole port district trade mechanics.

Definitely realizing that you cannot really plan past Artisans anymore because of all the random poo poo that can change your production now but I do still think it makes sense to get a good idea of the number of houses or pops you'll want on the island from the start. This at least lets you get a grasp on your basic needs as a whole so that you can build most or all of them at once in a clean layout, leaving most of them in blueprint mode. You can even squeeze in a trade union blueprint if you think it'll come in handy later. This kind of bulk building feels way more efficient, at least to me.

I think doing that eliminates a lot of the "2 farms here, 2 farms there" issues one sees early on and really helps lessen the plate spinning feeling as you grow. Once you're clean into the harder stuff you can focus on doing the same thing for the other tiers just turned up to 11 and you can put a lot less time into backtracking and adding production to existing chains.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 28, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

When the tourist dlc drops, do I have to start a new game or can I just add it in? I am about 30 hours I to my most successful game so far and have unlocked all sorts of cool things I never got to before and I don't want to restart.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When the tourist dlc drops, do I have to start a new game or can I just add it in? I am about 30 hours I to my most successful game so far and have unlocked all sorts of cool things I never got to before and I don't want to restart.

in the vast, vast majority of cases the dlc has integrated with existing saves

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

boar guy posted:

in the vast, vast majority of cases the dlc has integrated with existing saves

Oh, thank God. I am at the point of the game when I can get some super combos up that are insane. I have "Salmon Island" that is just an island with docklands and harbor masters along with fisheries catching fish at about 1 ton every 6 seconds. It trades fishes for rum and fur and some other stuff that I don't even need new world for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the docklands are incredibly fun, just straight up deleting the need for multiple production chains because 20 units of sewing machines get me all the work clothes I'll ever need