Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I know they don't get a lot of play here, but it feels like this video is important enough to merit mentioning here in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WUuya94QE

If you find the format of the try guys to be a lot, you'll be pleased to hear that this is a documentary style, Eugene is the only one of the try guys to show up, and it's very interesting to boot.

Glad they're using their platform to send these kinds of messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Even as a Load apologist I don't have a lot of good things to say about St. Anger. I think the title track is good and Some Kind of Monster is decent (if overlong) but other than that it's such a trudge.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cool kids inc. posted:

I know they don't get a lot of play here, but it feels like this video is important enough to merit mentioning here in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WUuya94QE

If you find the format of the try guys to be a lot, you'll be pleased to hear that this is a documentary style, Eugene is the only one of the try guys to show up, and it's very interesting to boot.

Glad they're using their platform to send these kinds of messages.

yea Try Guys are hit or miss for me ranging from 'these guys do seem fairly charming' to 'oh my god shut up' depending on my mood, but this is a really good way for them to use their huge platform and I have nothing but respect for the bravery that's needed to talk about things like this.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
For a moment there I thought "try guy" was a new term for a long-form Youtuber.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BrianWilly posted:

Alright sure Justice League was a movie but you know what's also a movie but different? Civil War! Literally just now I saw it referred to as the one that the Winter Soldier is better than, which is fair, but I still like it so here's a new video about it:

Captain America: Civil War Analysis; What Matters in a story?

1) I poo poo on the comic a bit
2) Who wants to hear about politics? Anyone?
3) I...commend Watchmen? WHAT
4) There's some Greek mythology in here for some reason

Enjoy~
I liked this, but could have done with more Greek mythology. Get all that mythology up in there.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

St. Anger....hey, at least the film was cool I guess.

What an awful album. Like, it's not just "Metallica plays nu metal", it's "Metallica plays absolute dogshit nu metal that would be awful even when compared to the very worst of the genre", mixed up with the worst production they'd ever had on a record (which is saying A LOT). It's like everything about the band that was good just completely and totally left them, possibly never to return.

Thank bloody god then that Death Magnetic was a lot better. I still chuck a lot of songs from that one on now and then.

I'm more inclined to go with Megadeth these days, mind -- In the classic periods anyway. Metallica...just never did a Rust In Peace. Dave Mustaine may be a complete cock but that kind of is the perfect Metal album.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Alright sure Justice League was a movie but you know what's also a movie but different? Civil War! Literally just now I saw it referred to as the one that the Winter Soldier is better than, which is fair, but I still like it so here's a new video about it:

Captain America: Civil War Analysis; What Matters in a story?

1) I poo poo on the comic a bit
2) Who wants to hear about politics? Anyone?
3) I...commend Watchmen? WHAT
4) There's some Greek mythology in here for some reason

Enjoy~

I think this is really good

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

And in some sad news... :smith:

https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1374952756100747267

https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1374953915800637445

But Sungwon is going to do another Lets Play channel so that's good atleast :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1374954794347978757

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Two couldnt play at that game :smith:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

FuturePastNow posted:

I think this is really good

Ghostlight posted:

I liked this, but could have done with more Greek mythology. Get all that mythology up in there.
Thanks! :3: I'd seriously considered doing intro-to-mythology videos at some point if I ever find the time, though it may devolve into me whining about Ovid a lot

Well, the next video is planned to be about Wonder Woman, which splits the difference a lil' bit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Thank bloody god then that Death Magnetic was a lot better. I still chuck a lot of songs from that one on now and then.

I always kind of wondered about Death Magnetic because I don't think I've heard a track off of it save All Nightmare Long, and that because I heard it harkened back to the band doing songs based on Lovecraft's stuff. (And the answer there was 'sort of, kinda.')

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm currently listening to St. Anger all the way through for the first time, inspired by Todd's video. I heard the title track and "Frantic" around the time it came out, and/or via Guitar Hero. I joined in the mockery like everyone else but I've always been morbidly curious to hear the whole thing.

2 songs in: "I've made a huge mistake."

And those are the ones I've actually heard before!

It's just so bad, in ways that are hard to summarize. It really is like a first draft. In addition to sounding horrendous, the songs just go on and on and on with no actual flow, no rise and fall, no buildup. Just repetition of song fragments in seemingly random order with barely any transitions between them.

Like halfway through "Frantic" I always end up thinking "Well this sounds like embarrassing garbage, but maybe if you changed the mix here and there..." but then it just. Keeps. Going.

Dawgstar posted:

I always kind of wondered about Death Magnetic because I don't think I've heard a track off of it save All Nightmare Long, and that because I heard it harkened back to the band doing songs based on Lovecraft's stuff. (And the answer there was 'sort of, kinda.')

It's pretty solid, just skip the official release and go straight for the Guitar Hero rip. They drastically overcompressed it so that it's painful to listen to, but the GH rip is really dynamic, even if maybe it could use a little EQ to boost the bass and stuff. Some of the songs are overlong, but overall it's pretty good Metallica. Better than the more recent album (Hardwired) which had its highlights, but once again has production issues which are harder to fix this time. It just sounds very sterile like nothing was recorded in the same room.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
donk

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Count me in on "I can't hear MY LIFESTYLE, DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE without laughing pretty hard, additionally thanks to Matt"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For people who are interested in this sort of thing, Kyle Kallgren is airing the first part of his look at Starship Troopers as a franchise later today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5bHLrGBUKo

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
When I first heard the words “MY LIFESTYLE DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE”, I legit thought it was Weird Al singing. It’s just so silly.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I like it and second what Sir Lemming says. It's derivative of course in that you've basically got your classic thrash-type songs (Cyanide/That Was Just Your Life etc.), your One/Fade to Black metal ballad (The Day That Never Comes), your epic instrumental (Suicide and Redemption) -- nothing like that's in any way original but they're all good runs of stuff the band's done before and certainly at the time, everyone was grateful of Metallica going back to the '80s and doing it well. Lars' drum sound is still poo poo of course.

All Nightmare Long is probably the most "modern"-y song on the record. Bit of a different sound there to the norm. Funnily enough it's probably my favourite on the album. It kinda feels like what St. Anger could have sounded like if it was good and actually a more inspired attempt by the band to make a sonically relevant record.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even though I consider it a weaker record than Death Magnetic, the last song on their last album "Spit Out The Bone" is probably the best they've done in ages, and it has an awesomely cheesy video to go along with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46Z0-HXySo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the best metallica album is clearly Lulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyC404_gEk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I miss Lou Reed.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I really like "The Unnamed Feeling" because the early guitar sounds like NES Metroid music.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I miss Lou Reed.

I put a goofy meme, but I genuinely do like Lulu on some level. Hearing Lou Reed and Metallica gently caress around and make something different...was really nice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the actual worst Metallica song isn't even from St. Anger, it's from the Biker Boyz soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqM3Z3rWlAI

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I'm gonna go all "unpopular opinion" here for a moment, but imo Metallica has always kinda sucked when it comes to the sound quality on their albums. Even their supposedly-poppy self-titled kind of sounds - I guess not quite like rear end, but kind of decidedly leaning towards the direction of rear end. I'd say out of the Big Four of thrash metal bands Metallica is by far the suckiest-sounding (not touching on songwriting/live performances/all that, just talking purely about recorded material)

So I'd say St. Anger is not that out of character for them in all honesty. With some appropriate songwriting it could've even worked. It's just that its songwriting is not quite there, really, so we are left only with bonk

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

nurmie posted:

I'm gonna go all "unpopular opinion" here for a moment, but imo Metallica has always kinda sucked when it comes to the sound quality on their albums. Even their supposedly-poppy self-titled kind of sounds - I guess not quite like rear end, but kind of decidedly leaning towards the direction of rear end. I'd say out of the Big Four of thrash metal bands Metallica is by far the suckiest-sounding (not touching on songwriting/live performances/all that, just talking purely about recorded material)

So I'd say St. Anger is not that out of character for them in all honesty. With some appropriate songwriting it could've even worked. It's just that its songwriting is not quite there, really, so we are left only with bonk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z77Z4ckED-w

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nurmie posted:

I think early Metallica has a punk vibe to it in terms of production. It's not GOOD but it sounds raw, which IMHO made them stand out from their peers - Megadeth sounds closer to Iron Maiden than Metallica, for instance.

The issue with St. Anger is that it's both sterile production AND it's trying to get that Kill 'Em All sound at the same time via TERRIBLE decisions (that snare drum...), so it's just the worst of two worlds. Then you add the awful songwriting to the mix and they just sound like a bad high school metal band.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nurmie posted:

I'm gonna go all "unpopular opinion" here for a moment, but imo Metallica has always kinda sucked when it comes to the sound quality on their albums.

Not an unpopular opinion at all, it was even mentioned in Todd's video. I don't think any Metallica album is considered to be an especially good example of how a record should sound.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Metallica have mostly had lousy arse production. I think that punky sound works good for Kill 'Em All but t's way iffier for Lightning and Puppets 'cause a lot of those songs don't really have that same punkiness to them. Kill 'Em All is actually one of the better sounding records in the whole discography.

And Justice For All is a sonic crime. My god, the production is horrid. And that's BEFORE they turned down Jason and decided that nah, they'd rather not have any actual bass on the thing because gently caress the newbie. But I suppose that's one of the things that always pisses me off about the early Metallica records - even freaking Cliff struggles to be heard a lot of the time thanks to how badly they're produced. Like, it was really helpful when Guitar Hero and Rock Band came out and you actually had isolated Cliff tracks to screw around with and see exactly what he was playing, because previously on some songs it was bloody guesswork. And this is one of the greatest and most influential metal bassists ever we're talking about -- poor Jason didn't stand a chance. Again, isolated GH/RB tracks were bloody great to actually hear the very cool stuff he plays on record -- different to Cliff but still VERY good.

Jeez..it's a good job the songs are good enough on these first four albums to make this production an annoyance more than anything.

The '90s albums...well, they sound like Bob Rock production. Black Album is so dated. Load and Reload are better suited to it, I guess. St. Anger we've been through. Death Magnetic is a compression wars nightmare.

It's...yeah. A constant problem for the band.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
As weak as Metallica's post-80s material could get, they did also make their best song over 30 years after their debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RETgWcV_lPs

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm not big into metalica but I do rember a lot of complaints from the time about Death Magnetic blowing out peoples speakers. Iirc people were ripping the album from its release as Rockband DLC as the actual album was unlistenable on high end speakers.

Edit: did a goigle just make sure I'm not half remembering some bollocks, turns out it was Guitar Hero 3 dlc lol

https://www.audioholics.com/news/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better-on-guitar-hero-iii

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 25, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Metallica is a decent cover band. They do alright covers of Blue Oyster Cult and Ennio Morricone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When they tossed Phil Spector's corpse into a deep hole did they also throw in the Beatles tapes he meddled with?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 26, 2021

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

For people who are interested in this sort of thing, Kyle Kallgren is airing the first part of his look at Starship Troopers as a franchise later today:

It's a drat good watch. I could swear I heard that "sheepdog" line of thinking being espoused by conservative gun owners somewhere...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Supersonic Shine posted:

It's a drat good watch. I could swear I heard that "sheepdog" line of thinking being espoused by conservative gun owners somewhere...

Have I got a video for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRJgCEWUXE

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im so glad karl included the horse cum bible verse

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

There was a company that made a Metallica brand whiskey that was getting clowned on in the Stupid Music poo poo thread, so I browsed there website and there’s a video where Hetfield is wearing what looks like a 3 percenter tshirt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTmkCGYrPk

This guy showed up in my recommendations and he's talking about Killzone which I find a pretty drat interesting experiment as an FPS series. It's excellent.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 26, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Love the burn on Zizek :lol:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsTmkCGYrPk

This guy showed up in my recommendations and he's talking about Killzone which I find a pretty drat interesting experiment as an FPS series. It's excellent.

Also that's just part 1 of a 2 part series, so here's the follow up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8R-vYGPhfE

It's nice after years of futilely screaming the same sentiments into the digital void through Let's Plays to finally be proven right by an outside source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
This came up in my youtube recommendations and I put it on expecting to just skip past all the buildup and history to when the record happened... but then I got sucked in and watched the whole thing. I enjoyed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b67SC7Y4qA