Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Magnus ends tomorrow. Wild. I think they've been sticking the landing but we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Farg posted:

Magnus ends tomorrow. Wild. I think they've been sticking the landing but we'll see!

The entire series has boiled down to a trolley problem.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah I dug the penultimate episode basically being a real dark episode of the good place

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

The entire series has boiled down to a trolley problem.

The trolley problem except it's aleph_0 and c.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Arrhythmia posted:

The trolley problem except it's aleph_0 and c.

I know aleph_0, but what do you mean by “c”?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Jurgan posted:

Probably the speed of light.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Episode 32(?) I believe, Martin says "you know, whatever web we're caught up in, I have to see this through" I love this poo poo.

Some are going to be disappointed but I can't fricken wait.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My one complaint is that if it goes with the obvious answer - that we're one of the universes that The Entities got shunted into, dunno why i'm spoiler tagging speculation, but better safe than sorry - I'll be disappointed with the pacing. That outcome was semi-obvious as soon as we got the exposition dump, which was a while back now. it really feels like they've been spinning their wheels to make it to a nice round 200, but here's hoping there were some seeds planted in there I missed.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I don't think it's going to be that. I have a feeling it's going to swing wide in a different direction that's going to take people by surprise and piss people off.

Don't really know why, just have this gut feeling. You're right, if it's that, it's almost TOO obvious.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, my reckon (mostly based off of the Archivist's guilt-ridden breakdown last episode/ is that he's going to try to take a third option and it's going to go badly for everyone but especially him. The fact that they have to destroy the archives doesn't bode well for him either, given what Jonah said at the end of S4, that it might be more accurate to call him the Archive rather than the Archivist.

I think Jonny Sims is a good enough writer that the ending isn't going to just be "lever pulled, trolley problem solved".

I mean, if the ending of literally every Mechanisms album is anything to by, everyone's going to be dead except for one or two designated survivors who are going to merely be completely emotionally destroyed.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Cardinality of R.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm appallingly late on the Magnus bandwagon and I've been furiously binging trying to finish ahead of the finale. I finally finished my catch-up on Monday.

Didn't see the finale of season 4 coming. Loved the more experimental and abstract bent of season 5, even though one episode hit me in a very uncomfortable place.

It's a hell of a show. Regardless of how it ends, they made something special.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
They've done a good job of it, regardless as to whether or not the ending is ideal. I applaud them for that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The last episode has the ominous title of
Last Words

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Teepublic has everything on sale for the next 20 hours if anyone has been waiting to buy a MA shirt

Marketing works on me

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
My mom (who I insisted should listen) became a huge fan and just sent me the "I was there at the end" shirt. It's dope.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

My mom (who I insisted should listen) became a huge fan and just sent me the "I was there at the end" shirt. It's dope.

I ordered it this morning for myself. I clicked their facebook link saw it was discounted and slam bought it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Teepublic has everything on sale for the next 20 hours if anyone has been waiting to buy a MA shirt

Marketing works on me

Thanks for the heads up. Grabbed a couple shirts and mugs given the shipping cost.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Dear God (Magnus 200) They loving landed it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mokinokaro posted:

Dear God (Magnus 200) They loving landed it.

Yup.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I cannot loving believe they got me with the lighter TWICE

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They hosed up by not naming it "Statement Ends", but otherwise perfect

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wanted it to be longer, but it actually had a good ending for a horror?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man I'm still in the 160s, gotta catch up now. Very glad to hear it ends strong.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
drat. They got my boy Simon. RIP Mr. Blue Sky.

Edit: you're right but dude is not relevant to anything.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 25, 2021

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

^

Like come on dude it's been like two hours. Spoiler tags.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The absolute stones of sticking to the 25 minute format for basically the entirety of the show

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Last week people on reddit were saying"I bet it's an hour, can't wrap it in 25"

Wrong, nerds!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Like almost everyone else, I've had mixed feelings on the final season, but hot drat, they nailed that ending.

And The Admiral made it out OK, which is all I could really have asked for.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Well I've been waiting for TMA to finish after I lost interest in the second season, to see what the goons had to say about the ending.

I guess it's time to binge the series!

(PS The Silt Verses remains fantastic with each new episode)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Yeah they really stuck the landing. Amazing show.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

drat. They got my boy Simon. RIP Mr. Blue Sky.

Simon Fairchild did everything wrong and deserved exactly what kind of Mussolini-esque fate he received :colbert:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Just holy poo poo.

There was so much weight to every single line in the episode. Just blows my mind how much that gave me everything I'd want out of the ending and more packed into ~23 minutes. No idea how Sims managed to culminate so many of the show's themes into that amount of time and manage satisfying conclusions for the characters while he did it, but I'm extremely here for it.

It feels so weird to actually be satisfied with the ending to a huge long-running series, god drat.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sab Sabbington posted:

Just holy poo poo.

There was so much weight to every single line in the episode. Just blows my mind how much that gave me everything I'd want out of the ending and more packed into ~23 minutes. No idea how Sims managed to culminate so many of the show's themes into that amount of time and manage satisfying conclusions for the characters while he did it, but I'm extremely here for it.

It feels so weird to actually be satisfied with the ending to a huge long-running series, god drat.

I think it's what happens when you have the end in mind when you start it. And also you avoid the temptation to keep going after you've actually wrapped everything up.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's what happens when you have the end in mind when you start it. And also you avoid the temptation to keep going after you've actually wrapped everything up.

They did say there was gonna be more content, but I assume it's gonna be like, Q&As or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Droyer posted:

They did say there was gonna be more content, but I assume it's gonna be like, Q&As or something.

Yeah, I assumed maybe some more third party non canon statements like they've done before, more q&as, that kind of thing. If they DO try and continue from where they've ended it I'll be both surprised and disappointed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Like at most we could have a short epilogue but even that doesn't feel needed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't say how glad I am to hear it ended strong. Last year made me kinda fall off it because 2020 was hellish enough for my tastes but I'm starting over now and knowing it ends appropriately makes me very happy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Welp, time for a relisten from the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

not sure if they had everything plotted out from the beginning but it does seem like the Jon / Martin relationship was pretty much always going to be central, going by the intro to the first episode. A nice little consonance.