Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Natural 20 posted:

Basic cleave steal is:

Mug/Magpie/Indiscriminate Rage/Counter Savvy passives.

Add in Swordmaster as job or sub job for Solid stance->Attack 3 times.

That on a Phantom with decent daggers will kill almost everything in the game pretty reliably with the first move and you can just dump it on two characters in case you need clean up.

Hmm, i just tried that setup with the best daggers i can buy from the shop (one in each hand on each character) and it only really does about 1000 damage per hit. So it does do about 6000 damage in total to a single enemy.

I dunno if it's the weapons i've got equipped or not but it feels a bit weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kin posted:

What passives/jobs should i equip on my team to make a silly overpowered farming team that attacks/kills everything in one go, steals rare items from them and captures them?

Phantom/<whatever>, Mug/Magpie/Rob Blind/Indiscriminate Rage/Beast Whisperer. You'll piss through MP like it's going out of style though.

If you're okay doing one of stealing or capturing at a time, you can swap Beast Whisperer for Aspir Attack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sword master level 12 dual wielding gets the bonus from Freelancers or Beastmasters to all stats

I have unlocked the final skills for the class and Adelle does more damage than the rest of my party combined now by doing that skill, mimicking it 3 times for free casts, with the massive Freelancer stat boosts since she maxed a bunch of classes

Vanguard hits surprisingly hard with 2 handed as well, their level 12 passive gives them a LOT of attack and Neo Cross Slash can easily do more than 9999 with its 2 hits on a pretty tanky class to boot

I should probably beat chapter 6 now

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kin posted:

Hmm, i just tried that setup with the best daggers i can buy from the shop (one in each hand on each character) and it only really does about 1000 damage per hit. So it does do about 6000 damage in total to a single enemy.

I dunno if it's the weapons i've got equipped or not but it feels a bit weak.

You're meant to use Indiscriminate rage which puts it at a 6000 damage AOE which should be enough to sweep up whatever you need to.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

You're meant to use Indiscriminate rage which puts it at a 6000 damage AOE which should be enough to sweep up whatever you need to.

Well, yeah i've got that equipped. My point is that i'm seeing some enemies with hp over 6000 which means the 6 attacks that are done by my character, using solid stance, don't actually kill the enemies outright in one go.

I was expecting to do something like 5000 damage per hit per enemy or whatever and totally nuking groups of enemies but maybe it's just an expectation thing for this grinding purpose.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 25, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How many battles do you have to equip the Bloody Shield to make it transform? I might grind some jobs out before the final dungeon (where the normal enemies were glowing red lol) and I wouldn’t mind having a baller shield to bring with me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I've heard 100 and I've heard 255. I lost count because I zoned out and ran around with Obliterate and Monster Medley. :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kin posted:

Well, yeah i've got that equipped. My point is that i'm seeing some enemies with hp over 6000 which means the 6 attacks that are done by my character, using solid stance, don't actually kill the enemies outright in one go.

I was expecting to do something like 5000 damage per hit per enemy or whatever and totally nuking groups of enemies but maybe it's just an expectation thing for this grinding purpose.

For damage levels like that you're looking at using Beastmaster/Freelancer/Vanguard to amp up your stats to stupid levels.

The Phantom way is just the lowest investment and guarantees first strike.

But also once you're at that point with Beast/Free/Vanguard there's not much point in the game any more so ymmv.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 25, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

The FF5 pedigree is grounded in "there's a lot of statuses you can stick on bosses". :v:

Also "Chemist breaks everything with the power of :drugnerd:"

Pollyanna posted:

:hmmyes: man I must have totally missed status poo poo in previous games. Oh well.

Good to know I can just sell these scales.

Also, is a magical attack of 227 low for level 50? I know magic is hella underpowered in this game, but drat, Firaga on 4 targets deals about 250 damage at 227 MATK. Level Slash on 4 targets deals like 3500 on average at this point. That is depressing.

I wonder if they just hosed up the calculations?

That and they never added ways to actually stack MATK as easily as PATK.

Kin posted:

If you're fighting enemies with 6000+ hp you can steal daggers that are much better than whatever you got from the shops (there's 1-2 daggers from side quests that are really good even through chapter 5 and I think they're available in ch4?). There is a +10atk +20 crit accessory you can steal from a rare mob later in the game so with two of those and 1-2 high end daggers I think you can sit at 100% crit rate (you'll definitely be over 100 crit rate vs stuff weak to daggers).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also "Chemist breaks everything with the power of :drugnerd:"

While valid, would you believe I killed everything in this game without ever touching Salve-Maker?

poo poo, I didn't even use Godspeed Strike until I got frustrated trying to farm the Bravebearer weapon. Just Swordmaster/Berserker itself is really good.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're fighting enemies with 6000+ hp you can steal daggers that are much better than whatever you got from the shops (there's 1-2 daggers from side quests that are really good even through chapter 5 and I think they're available in ch4?). There is a +10atk +20 crit accessory you can steal from a rare mob later in the game so with two of those and 1-2 high end daggers I think you can sit at 100% crit rate (you'll definitely be over 100 crit rate vs stuff weak to daggers).

Any idea which enemies drop the daggers/accessories i should steal then? With my setup i think i'd get them pretty quickly.

Also, i'm guessing you need to capture a lot of enemies to make beastmaster powerful. Is there a cap per enemy type or is it just total capture count that goes towards the stats. If it's he latter where's the best place to get the most enemies per single battle?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

99 per enemy, does not decrement if you release them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kin posted:

Any idea which enemies drop the daggers/accessories i should steal then? With my setup i think i'd get them pretty quickly.

Also, i'm guessing you need to capture a lot of enemies to make beastmaster powerful. Is there a cap per enemy type or is it just total capture count that goes towards the stats. If it's he latter where's the best place to get the most enemies per single battle?

The daggers are a rare drop/steal from a rare enemy in chapter 3 up by the wayward wood entrance, iirc. There's a +atk helmet from another chapter 3 rare enemy that wouldn't hurt to pickup too.
The accessories are a rare steal from the cyclops rare enemy in chapter 5 (sensei belt). The cyclops' rare drop is a different item but one you'll want 4 of in the long run.

No idea on beastmaster but since it's possible to run setups that will capture dozens of monsters in no time I imagine it gets silly pretty fast. I think freelancer might be better than beastmaster for me right now but that's with probably 7-8 jobs mastered and no dedicated/heavy capture farming yet. Captures not using the damage cap breaking passive sucks though. Or it does and I was doing something wrong. :shrug:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm sure the Beastmaster can have better stats but between the Freelancer's Mimic I like them as a main job.

I'm going for 100% Lore and all I have left is B n' D and Card Shoppe's Case. So I just go around and battle everyone and get all their cards? Is there anything else to it? Any guides I should look at? I'm more of an easy than quick kinda person.

After I get 100% I'll maybe do a third playthrough on hard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What level are you expected to do the portal fights at?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What level are you expected to do the portal fights at?

It depends on some factors but on a second playthrough on normal difficulty with fully unlocked jobs I did them in the high 50s.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pollyanna posted:

:hmmyes: man I must have totally missed status poo poo in previous games. Oh well.

Good to know I can just sell these scales.

Also, is a magical attack of 227 low for level 50? I know magic is hella underpowered in this game, but drat, Firaga on 4 targets deals about 250 damage at 227 MATK. Level Slash on 4 targets deals like 3500 on average at this point. That is depressing.

I wonder if they just hosed up the calculations?

Dual wield staves (with the passive). A couple of the overworld bosses have good staff steals, and the endgame fights you mentioned have some good staff drops as well.

Red Mage chainspell helps a lot, and Daub is likewise amazing (though, to be fair, it's amazing for everyone). You can start pulling down 8-9k pretty easily per spell without going too crazy on the passives, and if you get some of the high end abilities Oracle 15, Tripleaga, ends up with you firing off 6 -aga level spells if you've got chainspell equipped, and if you're hitting a weakness you're doing 40% extra damage, and if you crit...

It's just a little silly that magic really only gets good in the endgame, and that's about the time where physical damage dealers can deal capped damage (with Surpassing Power equipped!) to the entire enemy lineup in one action.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^ :laffo: I don’t know why, but the idea of dual-wielding staves is hilarious to me. I’ll try it out!

Got it, I’m still pretty low then. I’m at 50.

Anyone wanna critique my team? End+post-game spoilers:

MC (or Seth, I guess): Shieldmaster/Vanguard, Dual Shields/Fast Hands/No Guts No Glory/Revenge/Thrust and Parry. Hit Defender of the People, donate BP to people, repeat.

Gloria: Phantom/Thief (you never see it comiiiiiiiin’), Raw Power/MP Saver/Counter-Savvy/Critical Amp/Who Dares Wins. 4x Brave, GS GS Steal Spirit Steal Breath, repeat.

Elvis: Salve-Maker/Oracle, Status-Conscious/Attack Item Amp/Heal Item Amp/Noble Sacrifice/Limit Breaker. Heal and cast Quick on Adelle, try and land status ailments in the meantime.

Adelle: Swordmaster/Berseker, Dual Wield/Beast Whisperer/Thrust and Parry/Free-For-All/Full Force. 4x Brave, Solid Stance Attack Attack Attack, repeat.

Feeling a bit underpowered - I get my rear end kicked pretty easily by trash mobs in the Mag Melle dungeon. Any adjustments I can make?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 26, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So around Chapter 5 in BD2 I had started replaying BD1 and I'm now in Chapter 5 of BD1.

Having played both games around the same time, BD1 definitely has "something" to its narrative/characters that BD2 doesn't.

BD2 is still fun, but BD1 is much better about its characters/setting/music/etc all working together well. BD2 has a sort of "disjointed" feel to it for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on.

edit: My one gripe with BD1 is the thing I mentioned earlier where the game isn't tonally consistent about a character like Braev Lee. He has sympathetic motives, but his actual actions would see him sent to the Hague in a just world. The only Eternian forces that aren't portrayed as either blood-gargling psychopaths or "people who continue to work with and give power to blood-gargling psychopaths" are the Sky Knights (who, with the exception of the Black Mage guy, at least keep their military action limited to Agnes herself and the country's military).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 26, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

^ :laffo: I don’t know why, but the idea of dual-wielding staves is hilarious to me. I’ll try it out!

Got it, I’m still pretty low then. I’m at 50.

Anyone wanna critique my team? End+post-game spoilers:

MC (or Seth, I guess): Shieldmaster/Vanguard, Dual Shields/Fast Hands/No Guts No Glory/Revenge/Thrust and Parry. Hit Defender of the People, donate BP to people, repeat.

Gloria: Phantom/Thief (you never see it comiiiiiiiin’), Raw Power/MP Saver/Counter-Savvy/Critical Amp/Who Dares Wins. 4x Brave, GS GS Steal Spirit Steal Breath, repeat.

Elvis: Salve-Maker/Oracle, Status-Conscious/Attack Item Amp/Heal Item Amp/Noble Sacrifice/Limit Breaker. Heal and cast Quick on Adelle, try and land status ailments in the meantime.

Adelle: Swordmaster/Berseker, Dual Wield/Beast Whisperer/Thrust and Parry/Free-For-All/Full Force. 4x Brave, Solid Stance Attack Attack Attack, repeat.

Feeling a bit underpowered - I get my rear end kicked pretty easily by trash mobs in the Mag Melle dungeon. Any adjustments I can make?

What kind of gear are you using? The raw stats from that will make the biggest difference. In line with that, just about everyone should be dual wielding since weapons offer so much attack power.

At this point you also have access to the portal battles, right? That means you can start getting the weapons that drop from them, which have some pretty crazy potential options. The level 15 options for jobs are also absolutely nuts, with things like ninefold strike on Swordmaster being strong enough to basically 4x Brave and then just straight up delete enemies, even the portal enemies.

Also, honestly would swap Oracle for Pictomancer to land Daub because Daub is the best status effect in the game by far.

Edit: Would also strongly consider not using Vanguard on the MC and instead going Swordmaster/Shieldmaster and dual wielding swords. Then use the fluid abilities for counterattacks and watch as you block an attack, and then counterattack 2-3 times to do hilarious amounts of damage.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 26, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

The daggers are a rare drop/steal from a rare enemy in chapter 3 up by the wayward wood entrance, iirc. There's a +atk helmet from another chapter 3 rare enemy that wouldn't hurt to pickup too.
The accessories are a rare steal from the cyclops rare enemy in chapter 5 (sensei belt). The cyclops' rare drop is a different item but one you'll want 4 of in the long run.

No idea on beastmaster but since it's possible to run setups that will capture dozens of monsters in no time I imagine it gets silly pretty fast. I think freelancer might be better than beastmaster for me right now but that's with probably 7-8 jobs mastered and no dedicated/heavy capture farming yet. Captures not using the damage cap breaking passive sucks though. Or it does and I was doing something wrong. :shrug:

Is it normal to have to unequip all my armour to keep me under the weight limit to dual wield each of those rare daggers on a phantom job?

I kill things pretty quickly but it's still a bit like a glass cannon.

Also I dunno if the spiked helm and sensei belt would put me over the weight limit too.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kin posted:

Is it normal to have to unequip all my armour to keep me under the weight limit to dual wield each of those rare daggers on a phantom job?

Also I dunno if the spiked helm and sensei belt would put me over the weight limit too.

Yeah, your weight limit is based solely on class and level, and if you want to use the most powerful gear, you have to make sacrifices in other gear slots.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, your weight limit is based solely on class and level, and if you want to use the most powerful gear, you have to make sacrifices in other gear slots.

Plus, who cares if your damage dealer is fragile, they should be sitting at 200 HP (or less!) and being blocked for by a Shieldmaster/Vanguard. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kin posted:

I just had one person my designated pokemon master, maxed out the job and set it as sub, and tried catching at least one of every enemy and tried to catch monsters in every battle from when I first got Beastmaster to sometime in Chapter 5, and by that time I probably could have walked through the rest of the game easily. And I didn't even do the ridiculous ability combinations that guarantee capture of every monster in the battle.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kin posted:

Depends, are you using negative weight items like Wind Talisman / Wavesong Necklace / Elf Cape?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Plus, who cares if your damage dealer is fragile, they should be sitting at 200 HP (or less!) and being blocked for by a Shieldmaster/Vanguard. :v:

Woe unto the person who tries to do this and gets reamed by a party-wide attack.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This helps, thanks! Dual Wield on everyone for sure. SWM/SHM seems very defensively weak though and dies a lot :( also it looks like (endgame spoilers) Night’s Nexus at the Fountain isn’t terribly susceptible to status effects, sadly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Woe unto the person who tries to do this and gets reamed by a party-wide attack.

I'm pretty sure in cases of party wide attacks, your shieldmaster will tank for everyone who's critical. Pretty sure.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Managed to steal 2 insane daggers from a world boss while loving about seeing what they all had available with magpie, but they're too heavy to use, much less DW :negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure in cases of party wide attacks, your shieldmaster will tank for everyone who's critical. Pretty sure.

That is correct.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Deki posted:

Managed to steal 2 insane daggers from a world boss while loving about seeing what they all had available with magpie, but they're too heavy to use, much less DW :negative:

You probably can use one, which should be way more than strong enough for where you're at in the story.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How exactly does dual wielding work? I keep getting stat losses whenever I try it. I am not going over the weight limit.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SKULL.GIF posted:

How exactly does dual wielding work? I keep getting stat losses whenever I try it. I am not going over the weight limit.

If it’s anything like 1 you need an ability so it doesn’t cut down your attack when dual wielding

Usually on ninja

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sadness is missing three Godspeed Strikes in a row. :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deki posted:

I did this same thing; they're the first things I ever stole. I was finally able to reasonably use one by sometime during Chapter 4. Still can't easily use 2 (I think I can maybe pull it off if I use a Wind Charm or two).

raditts posted:

I just had one person my designated pokemon master, maxed out the job and set it as sub, and tried catching at least one of every enemy and tried to catch monsters in every battle from when I first got Beastmaster to sometime in Chapter 5, and by that time I probably could have walked through the rest of the game easily. And I didn't even do the ridiculous ability combinations that guarantee capture of every monster in the battle.

The route to go if you want to use a Beastmaster is to have everyone level it up enough to unlock Beast Whisperer. That way you can passively catch a bunch of things without having to directly put an effort into it.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
A bit of a PSA. The gambler's passive ability, Rare Talent seems to also reduce your chances of getting the normal drop of enemies by the same amount. Sheesh so much time grinding for nothing but 99 Huge JP orbs.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

SKULL.GIF posted:

You get a big chunky stat penalty across the board when dual wielding, so it's only worth it if the second weapon is really that good. The two main ways around this are a passive ability from one particular job, and the level 12 specialty from another, which negate the penalty entirely. (There's also another passive ability that lets you dual-wield shields if you're into that.)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Without the passive that removes the stat reduction, it's not really worth it.

Granted, by the time you get dual wield, you also have had access to a number of really potent weapons from the overworld bosses/rare enemies and those weapons are both powerful enough and heavy enough that you can only wield one of them and wielding one of them is better than two of any other weapon you have access to.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Before you get the passive to eliminate the dual wield penalties, dual wielding is mainly useful if you have weapons that have passive bonuses that you really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Even before the passives, dual wielding means that you get two checks on an enemy weakness. So you can equip a dagger in one hand to amp speed for godspeed strike and then a spear/sword/whatever in the other hand to exploit a boss weakness.