Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gutcruncher posted:

Anyone remember those DVDs designed specifically to degrade and stop working a day or two after opening up the package?

I kinda wanna find some of them still sealed just for fun

Anectodal evidence with a sample size of 1 suggests they don't work anymore, even if they're sealed:

https://youtu.be/ccneE_gkSAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where's the good guide for setting up sd2vita? is there a way to do the internal mod on the 3g models without using custom firmware or whatever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a list of ps1 games that are only available on the ps3 store

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are you looking for an answer other than 'all of the ps1 games they offer' or is there another ps1 store somewhere

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

are you looking for an answer other than 'all of the ps1 games they offer' or is there another ps1 store somewhere

Some PS1 classics were flagged to not be buyable and directly download on Vita. I believe Metal Gear Solid was one, because changing controllers for that one mandatory fight was reasonable on a ps3 and not at all intuitive on the vita. You had to buy for PS3, download, and then transfer from there to play on Vita (and then know what you were doing when you got to that part).

I have no idea what the full list of such games is though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's a good list of games on the PS3 subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/6ym1li/ps3_exclusivesnonpc_multiplatform_games_list/

No PS1/PSOne Classics, sadly.

Super No Vacancy posted:

honestly dlc might be the bigger issue because who knows how many disc based games thats going to apply to. sony forfeiting a bunch of goodwill to microsoft rn

Since the PS3/360 generation was the first one to fully introduce the concepts of DLC and patches, it's gonna be real complicated for anyone that is trying to archive PS3 software.

Say you have an original retail copy of Lair a decade from now that you want to check out. You're stuck with Sixaxis controls because the patch that implements analog stick controls is no longer available!

That may be an extreme example but there's plenty of games that got big patches after release and they didn't always make it into new disc releases.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Here's the list of PS1 stuff that has issues with a PS Vita. North American versions, not sure what discrepancies exist for European and Asian accounts:

Can't download directly but works if you transfer them from a PS3

Arcade Hits: Shienryu
Arcade Hits: Sonic Wings Special
Art Camion Sugorokuden
Blockids
Burst Angel
Castlevania Chronicles
Cho Aniki
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Cool Boarders
Dezaemon Plus!
Dezaemon Kids!
Finger Flashing
GaiaSeed
Galaxy Fight
International Track and Field
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Lup*Salad
Makeruna Makendo 2
Metal Gear Solid
Money Idol Exchanger
Pandemonium
Rapid Angel
Silent Hill
Tall Unlimited
Umjammer Lammy
Zanac X Zanac

These games are blocked from download and transfer, but they will work if you can get them on there (Sony screwed up the white list once and you could get these games on there during that short window)

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bloody Roar
Bloody Roar 2
Command & Conquer
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Future Cop: LAPD
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Myst
Pocket Fighter
Sim Theme Park
Spyro The Dragon
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Star Wars Dark Forces
Vehicle Cavalier

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s super garbage that when a PSP game goes unlisted, the Vita won’t download it anymore. It still works by downloading to a PS3 then transferring but it’s a bullshit extra step that requires another piece of old rear end hardware

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034203826909196
https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1374034326795456513

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wait that doesn’t make sense. Why would you being unable to sync your system clock to a server prevent you from launching your purchased and downloaded games? Excluding poo poo that has to be played online of course

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The idea appears to be that the system checks the internal clock for license validation when you launch a game, and the CMOS keeps that clock calibrated. If this check fails (because the CMOS died, say), the system next checks Sony's online servers to make sure the digital title is registered to your account. If both are kaput, there's no provided bypass to the lock.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Cool a death clock for all paying customers just so it would take an extra month for hackers to break their security wide open anyway. How user friendly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are such trolls

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait that doesn’t make sense. Why would you being unable to sync your system clock to a server prevent you from launching your purchased and downloaded games? Excluding poo poo that has to be played online of course

This probably isn't 1:1 with how it works but there are some interesting things that happen with the internal clock in various digital Sony consoles.

For example, you know when you pre-load a game and there's that countdown timer? You don't actually need to be internet connected for the unlock to happen, the console will do it on its own when the correct time crosses over.

I think the consoles all use some version of time_t. With time_t basically the clock counts the number of seconds that have passed since a specific point in time, generally midnight Jan 1st 1970 GMT. Then it works out various things like what time your console is set to (it does math on this counter to give it to you in a way you can understand). When you have a digital game preloaded it works by saying "this game is playable once the time_t is greater than or equal to this number" which corresponds to midnight on the Tuesday of release or whatever, and similarly with stuff like PS+ games and similarly time-limited stuff it has a setting on the opposite end which makes the software only playable if time_t is less than a certain value (whenever your PS+ membership expires). This is also why changing the clock on your system doesn't actually alter the unlock time, it's still looking at the time_t value that is, for lack of a better term, hard-coded, with all your system-level clock fuckery just telling the console how to interpret and offset the time_t value that's there.

Because for various security reasons (including massive paranoia against another potential PSN hack) the software is heavily locked down so it has to make sure everything's on the up-and-up for the game in question to be launchable, which is also why you can have a game installed but not launchable (because it was installed with a different account or whatever).

The lockdown on disc-based games is unusual, though. This might not necessarily be intentional but more the whole thing about things on a computer going completely wild if the clock gets hard reset so it thinks it's January 1970 or whatever, that always makes bad things happen. Or maybe the discs had some sort of minimum time implementation as their own security check for one reason or another.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Super No Vacancy posted:

where's the good guide for setting up sd2vita? is there a way to do the internal mod on the 3g models without using custom firmware or whatever

https://vita.hacks.guide/ or https://www.cfwaifu.com/sd2vita/

You need custom firmware so your vita can recognize any third party memory card solution (sd2vita, the 3g replacement), no way around that. Custom firmware on vita is extremely convenient and has virtually no downsides, you don't get banned for going online like with the PS3.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So when your cmos battery dies, will you be able to just pop in a new one and reset your clock and be okay, or does it force you to reconnect to PSN first?

Edit: oh gently caress in order to transfer games from PS3 to psp or vita you have to connect to psn. Downloading everything you’ve ever bought on your PS3 might not be as long term as solution as I’d hoped.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 23, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It probably needs to do a server check in if it ever stops counting but i dont know anything about it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: oh gently caress in order to transfer games from PS3 to psp or vita you have to connect to psn. Downloading everything you’ve ever bought on your PS3 might not be as long term as solution as I’d hoped.

If you have a set mind about avoiding PSN, this is a pain but do things this way (on an ethernet-connected PSTV if you have one, ideally)

- Download to PS3
- Transfer to Vita
- Use "Content Manager" on your Vita to backup your installs to a PC

I'm not sure how implicated PSN is with this method for future restores from the PC.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

univbee posted:

If you have a set mind about avoiding PSN, this is a pain but do things this way (on an ethernet-connected PSTV if you have one, ideally)

- Download to PS3
- Transfer to Vita
- Use "Content Manager" on your Vita to backup your installs to a PC

I'm not sure how implicated PSN is with this method for future restores from the PC.

It’s not that I wanna avoid psn, it’s that they’ll shut down the old systems access to it sooner or later and this store shutdowns got me concerned that it’s sooner

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when a company stops supporting a system it's basically a flashing sign that says "pirate the games! it's free and fun!" so i don't mind too much when they shut down the servers. i'd rather them not do that, but 🤷‍♀️

if the system isn't hackable it's much worse of course. but for vita, ehhhh it just means i'll have another few months playing games that looked fun but didn't seem worth the asking price

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Oh poo poo. I just realized I should break out the PS3 and download Persona 3 FES to it. I don’t own a disc copy, just the PSN version playable on PS3.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh looks like the only place selling the internal sd adapters have stopped. fail

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean it's also entirely possible it isn't true since it's just a "my uncle at sony" esque rumor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No sony comment yet?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

If there has been, I haven't seen it. Only tons of people flipping out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No they haven't said anything and I have serious doubts to its truthfulness

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh looks like the only place selling the internal sd adapters have stopped. fail

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/PS-Vita-3G-to-microSD-card-adapter-USA/CANADA.html

The schematics are open source, so you could also make your own adapter if you're feeling industrious. Here's a guide for ordering an adapter from pcbway
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/iisakm/guide_to_ordering_psvsds_from_pcbway/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cool thanks no im not industrious but i am purchasedustrious

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's for the 3G model of Vita.

Amazon Canada at least seems to have a bunch of the Vita card-style ones. Not sure on their quality, they're like $11cad-ish.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats what i want keep up univbee

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Instant Grat posted:

E: And "Muramasa Rebirth", Vanillaware's gorgeous hack-and-slasher. That's another one.
I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't ported that to modern systems yet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm still baffled that they ported Princess Crown to PS4 and made it exclusive to a 13 Sentinels pre-order bonus and never put it on the Network standalone in or outside of Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same with the PS4 port of Ace Combat 5 that was a pre-order bonus with 7 and was never released separately. At least that wasn't Japan exclusive I guess.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nintendo porting 4 Swords to DS, making it free, making it only buyable for like a month, and on top of that not even giving it Download Play.

Dude just let people pay 5 bucks for it!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Nintendo porting 4 Swords to DS, making it free, making it only buyable for like a month, and on top of that not even giving it Download Play.

Dude just let people pay 5 bucks for it!

Giving Nintendo money in exchange for goods and services isn't the Nintendo way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Good news, the store has a wishlist feature again!

Bad news, it's still poo poo again!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

Same with the PS4 port of Ace Combat 5 that was a pre-order bonus with 7 and was never released separately. At least that wasn't Japan exclusive I guess.

I got this one by just purchasing the AC7 Deluxe Edition on PSN sale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WaltherFeng posted:

I got this one by just purchasing the AC7 Deluxe Edition on PSN sale.

AFAIK and for anyone who cares, this only applies to the EU PSN. They apparently forgot to remove it from the Deluxe Edition pack. If you want to buy it, you still can. Grab it when it's on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat I bought the normal edition a couple of months ago because I didn't see much worthwhile in the deluxe version