Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You can put in a date range, but that's pretty much all you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What’s a good way to find out what dates a room is available at a WDW resort? Going one day at a time until you see something other than “no rooms available” can’t be it.

No that's pretty much it.

You can call the hotline and chitter chatter with an amazing cast member while they do it if you don't want to.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tim Whatley posted:

CB is my favorite resort of all time and adding the skyliners was an added bonus. It's all so easy.

Theme park adjacent but I really appreciate the effort this artist put in to making this like a theme park advertisement. It's open edition, meaning everybody can get one in X time. Ships from the UK but too good for me to pass up.
https://vice-press.com/blogs/news/jurassic-park-george-bletsis?currency=USD

I know it's supposed to convey excitement but the kids looking at each other instead of the dinosaur is funny.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Question about dining reservations.

I know right now it's 60 days out for them. When I went last year and stayed on property, I could make reservations for the whole trip right on the 60 day mark because it's 60 days from the first day of your stay plus 10(?) days after that date.

On my next trip I'm not staying on property. I already have tickets and park passes for all the days. When I hit the 60 day mark, can I do dining reservations for all the days, or just that first day? I hope that makes sense.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nanigans posted:

Thanks for letting me know they’re not worth it, everyone.

How are the “cheaper” Skyliner hotels? AoA and Pop Century, right? I’ve heard they’re not as nice as the much cheaper non-Disney hotels in the area. Might be worth it this once though.

Braks already said it but I honestly prefer an AoA suite to a room at the Poly. More room, two bathrooms, can hold six and a bedroom door that can be closed to get some peace from the kids. Plus, the whole place has Disney cartoons everywhere and is what I thought a Disney hotel should look like.

The first time I went to Disney we went to Coronado and I was disappointed because it looked run down (even though that was how it was supposed to look) and the room was relatively small.

The Skyliner itself is great. Never rode it from AoA but from Caribbean Beach and they should make them go to every park.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
We stayed at Caribbean Beach for one of our family vacations and my wife loved it. The addition of the skylines should make an option for a repeat visit.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Silly Burrito posted:

Braks already said it but I honestly prefer an AoA suite to a room at the Poly. More room, two bathrooms, can hold six and a bedroom door that can be closed to get some peace from the kids. Plus, the whole place has Disney cartoons everywhere and is what I thought a Disney hotel should look like.

(snip)

The Skyliner itself is great. Never rode it from AoA but from Caribbean Beach and they should make them go to every park.

Exact same for me in 2019. AoA was a great priced option to take our 2 kids and the Skyliner was rad. A++

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Question about dining reservations.

I know right now it's 60 days out for them. When I went last year and stayed on property, I could make reservations for the whole trip right on the 60 day mark because it's 60 days from the first day of your stay plus 10(?) days after that date.

On my next trip I'm not staying on property. I already have tickets and park passes for all the days. When I hit the 60 day mark, can I do dining reservations for all the days, or just that first day? I hope that makes sense.

I believe you have to do each day separately but it’s been so long since I did dining (and especially offsite dining) that now I can’t remember. I do remember you used to have to do dining one day at a time for offsite.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The AoA suites are awesome. We stayed in one on our very first WDW trip in 2015. We had a few issues with them though

The building is constructed very well, so well we couldn't get an AT&T cell phone signal in our room. I always report signal issues via the ATT Mark the Spot app, and supposedly they built a new tower in the area a few months after our trip, but those buildings are solid. We couldn't even text our family members down the hall.

The price of those rooms went through the roof sometime after our Feb 2015 trip. I think we paid an average of around 350 or 360 a night at the time. I know when we looked at going back in March 2016 it was either less expensive, or the same price for us to rent DVC points at BLT in a 1 bedroom (this was before we bought into DVC). Those rooms are going for north of 500 a night last I checked now.

The AoA bus stop is always the farthest drat bus stop at the parks. After a long night at MK I despised the walk to the AoA bustop. I think Fantasyland to AoA bus stop is .75 miles if I remember right.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

The first time I went to Disney we went to Coronado and I was disappointed because it looked run down (even though that was how it was supposed to look) and the room was relatively small.

Sure the room is better but the Poly has a lot of amenities that beat AoA. Easy walk to monorail, trader sam's, the pools are really good, some extra activities for kids in the activities center, luau, ohana, kona cafe, rent boats for the lagoon, dole whip window, you can walk to MK now too if you really want to. And if you have a stroller being at a monorail hotel is incredible as compared to the bus to AoA. Wheel those kids on without even waking them up as opposed to scoop them out of their seats and suffer a crowded bus ride while balancing a kid and a stroller.

The AoA suite is really good though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Braksgirl posted:

I believe you have to do each day separately but it’s been so long since I did dining (and especially offsite dining) that now I can’t remember. I do remember you used to have to do dining one day at a time for offsite.

It’s what I feared. I’ll have to poke around the website and see if I can find more info. I was hoping things might be different right now due to covid.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dren posted:

Sure the room is better but the Poly has a lot of amenities that beat AoA. Easy walk to monorail, trader sam's, the pools are really good, some extra activities for kids in the activities center, luau, ohana, kona cafe, rent boats for the lagoon, dole whip window, you can walk to MK now too if you really want to. And if you have a stroller being at a monorail hotel is incredible as compared to the bus to AoA. Wheel those kids on without even waking them up as opposed to scoop them out of their seats and suffer a crowded bus ride while balancing a kid and a stroller.

The AoA suite is really good though.

Oh no doubt the Poly is awesome for all the reasons you say. Monorail was the number one reason, the beach and pools are great, and the electrical parade is always fun to watch. But on a strictly room basis, I prefer the AoA Disney theming (and I love the beach) and just the room itself. Cars, Lion King, Nemo, doesn't matter, all are great.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I'm doing Poly for my trip in October and I am *so excited*

With the 50th AND Ratatouille opening, I assume the parks will be packed, so I plan to spend a decent amount of time just chilling at the resort.

Also, god yes, the Skyliner is amazing.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Not enough love here for Port Orleans - Riverside. To me, the most beautiful resort grounds by far.

And for those naysaying Coronado Springs, I'm hoping those opinions were formed before Destino Tower was built, because that thing is amazing.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

POR and POFQ need renovations. I've stayed in the Royal Rooms at POR and they're cute and fine, but that resort is huge. My friend was all the way in the back and that's a real hike, you know?

The Coronado stay that SB was talking about was in 2012 so yeah, long before Gran Destino. I haven't yet had a chance to stay in the tower but it's on my list.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Coronado has had a ton of renovations to their rooms the last two years, even excluding the new tower. Worth checking out, IMO.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Omne posted:

Not enough love here for Port Orleans - Riverside. To me, the most beautiful resort grounds by far.

And for those naysaying Coronado Springs, I'm hoping those opinions were formed before Destino Tower was built, because that thing is amazing.

I actually don't like the tower; I like the old rooms. It's pretty but it's huge and it makes the sightlines feel weird to me.

Braksgirl posted:

POR and POFQ need renovations. I've stayed in the Royal Rooms at POR and they're cute and fine, but that resort is huge. My friend was all the way in the back and that's a real hike, you know?

The Coronado stay that SB was talking about was in 2012 so yeah, long before Gran Destino. I haven't yet had a chance to stay in the tower but it's on my list.

What blew me away was how far the walk to the bus stop was from Patisserie Place; or whatever that one Royal Room section is. You're either running across that bridge all the way to the front lobby bus stop or you're walking up a dimly lit road like three buildings back (four?). I expected Royal Rooms to be situated like, right there at bus stops right with the preferred rooms.

I don't see me staying at POR or POFQ in the future, but I do like Alligator Bayou's buildings and I'd probably catch a night there if I needed a spot filler room.

E: My Oct 1st has me at Coronado right now, but depending on who ends up going with me (the husband got a surprise deployment to loving Afghanistan, because my life won't stop being on fire) that might change. If it's me and the service dog, I'll probably go somewhere new just for the hell of it.

Somewhere that doesn't have the scaryliner so I can't be encouraged to go on it :gonk:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 17, 2021

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The Port Orleans resorts are both great. FQ is wonderful for how small it is. And Riverside is... well the Alligator Bayou part is great. But the plantation house rooms are... yeah... no..... If all of Riverside were Bayou themed, I'd be very into POR

And as mentioned, yeah it's so big.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Disneyland has re-opening plans.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/disneyland-to-reopen-on-april-30-ceo-bob-chapek-announces-1234932699/#!

"Variety" posted:

Mickey Mouse is back.

After a more-than-yearlong closure, Disneyland is set to reopen on April 30, Disney CEO Bob Chapek told CNBC’s “Squawk Alley” Wednesday morning.

The Anaheim, Calif. theme park and resort will start out with limited capacity, per state guidelines. Rides such as the new Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the Incredicoaster and Peter Pan’s Flight will all reopen, the company announced in a blog post, and the new Fantasyland – Snow White’s Enchanted Wish attraction will also open for the first time. The newly developed Avengers Campus is not yet open.

Visitors will be required to use a new theme park reservation system to enter in addition to tickets, and only California residents are currently allowed to visit the parks.

The Disneyland Resort hotels are also reopening in phases. Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reopens on April 29 at limited capacity, while Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reopen on May 2. Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel will remain closed until a later date.

As the company previously announced, more than 10,000 Disneyland employees will be recalled to work. “The day all of us have long been waiting for is almost here,” said Ken Potrock, president of the Disneyland Resort, in a statement. “We’re excited to have more than 10,000 cast members returning to work as we get ready to welcome our guests back to this happy place.”

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh come on, decorating an apartment block style hotel building to look like a big mansion at POR is fun. I put up with some really poor location in order to stay in one. The room itself was such that I would choose FQ instead in the future, but bayous don't do much for me (and as it is I'm trying to get over my swamp creature phobias when I'm in WDW so making the grounds look like an alligator habitat isn't great.)

Admittedly that's like when some of the most gimmicky hotels in Vegas need a refurb and some poor distant schmuck comes off the plane with the expectation to have a hotel room in a pyramid or a Disneyfied Chrysler Building. "You don't really want those" is ineffective.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Craptacular! posted:

Oh come on, decorating an apartment block style hotel building to look like a big mansion at POR is fun. I put up with some really poor location in order to stay in one. The room itself was such that I would choose FQ instead in the future, but bayous don't do much for me (and as it is I'm trying to get over my swamp creature phobias when I'm in WDW so making the grounds look like an alligator habitat isn't great.)

Admittedly that's like when some of the most gimmicky hotels in Vegas need a refurb and some poor distant schmuck comes off the plane with the expectation to have a hotel room in a pyramid or a Disneyfied Chrysler Building. "You don't really want those" is ineffective.

I think she was saying the plantation house themed rooms are not, in fact, fun.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Disney should sell monorail themed masks
Actually the real insanity is a lack of Spaceship Earth masks

Also yes, plantation house themed buildings are not fun.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
After being a second late on the 7am window yesterday, I was able to grab a boarding group at the 1pm window much to my enjoyment. It fell right when our Oga's reservation popped, but at the suggestion of a CM, we did Oga's and held onto the receipt just in case. Made it back to RotR just in time, got in line.... And it broke down having us wait 2 hours before they dumped the queue one hour before park close and only offered a fast pass that I had to go to guest services to get them to at least move to our park today.

Told me it wouldn't be possible for them to reassign it to a RotR pass for our next HS visit on Wednesday. So I get to play the anxiety fast button pushing game again Wednesday morning I guess.

This ride is 100% cursed for me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dren posted:

I think she was saying the plantation house themed rooms are not, in fact, fun.

So to me, they look like Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, cleaned up and adjusted to scale. I suppose those who grew up with the MK would not hear the foyer music in their head when walking around Magnolia Terrace.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

So to me, they look like Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, cleaned up and adjusted to scale. I suppose those who grew up with the MK would not hear the foyer music in their head when walking around Magnolia Terrace.

Well. There is the theory that the Disneyland Haunted mansion is definitely a plantation house and all the ghosts are trapped inside because of, yknow, their contributions to slavery.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Well. There is the theory that the Disneyland Haunted mansion is definitely a plantation house and all the ghosts are trapped inside because of, yknow, their contributions to slavery.

Even if that isn't true, it's the canon I subscribe to.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Uhhhh Disney just announced a massive theme park, retail and dining expansion for Disneyland?

Here's high res blue sky art.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1375200725681197056?s=19

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm assuming those tropical mountain peaks are gonna be adventureland 2?

Honestly, I can't even begin to guess what most of that is.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Looks like building more spans across West Street and making a fully integrated complex by enclosing the hotels with more parks. I guess what Disney gets out of this is more Grand Californian style entrances for Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel, but realistically, if you're going to do this, I don't know why keep both of the old hotels. What Disney really wants is money, and what Anaheim wants is Disney to make some kind of flagship hotel that's adjacent to the convention center and GardenWalk.

Maybe they just don't want people looking for new jobs just yet, but the Paradise Pier "Right Next To Pixar Pier" Hotel seems kind of expendable if they're going to take that block.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Additional concept art apparently screams Wakanda and Pandora

https://twitter.com/HelmsmanFreddy/status/1375267268448321538

https://twitter.com/HelmsmanFreddy/status/1375274796133408768

I'm not holding my breath, but Im generally excited

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
hell yeah

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah I'd give them either Wakanda or some weird take on the Cave of Wonders. I dunno about the other two; especially not the Raya stuff. I'm not paying $30 for it when I'd have paid $5 at a movie theater two years ago.

E: I would probably be stupid enough to risk my life and health to go to Wakanda.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 26, 2021

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah I'd give them either Wakanda or some weird take on the Cave of Wonders. I dunno about the other two; especially not the Raya stuff. I'm not paying $30 for it when I'd have paid $5 at a movie theater two years ago.

E: I would probably be stupid enough to risk my life and health to go to Wakanda.

Raya was pretty mediocre imo. Nothing really creative from the story or characters. Not a bad movie by any means, but very worthy of any complaints of it being too formulaic without adding enough of its own originality.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember when disney used to make original lands and theming and not just copy movie sets that will age horribly in the next 10 years

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You are looking for Troll World Tour land

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean I know it's the thing now in theme park design, but when Six Flags has more original creativity in area design than Disney and Universal then I don't know what that say.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Make an Alien world Disney

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

And yet post anyway.
Who doesn't think they have a pretty free hand with Wakanda?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Remember when disney used to make original lands and theming and not just copy movie sets that will age horribly in the next 10 years

I hate to break it to you but Disney has been copying movie sets that will age horribly in 10 years since 1955.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Even if Avatar the movie doesn't age well and isnt remembered as the giant blockbuster it once was.... the land is goddamn beautiful and the wonder it evokes wont go away just because the IP isnt relevant anymore

Of course Joe is now gone so who knows what the future holds. Im trying to think of who are the lead ride imagineers now... Trowbridge and Carter? They both have solid track records, so I'm optimistic.

I assume the expansion will be like 50% just copy/paste of the new expansion at DisneySea