Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MikeJF posted:

If someone sends me a cobra to care for is that going to be a danger?

If it's tame, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

If it's tame, no.

Breed attack cobras!!!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cobra egg farm now

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There was a mod that allowed you to farm cobra venom to stick on projectiles, iirc.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

HelloSailorSign posted:

There was a mod that allowed you to farm cobra venom to stick on projectiles, iirc.

Sounds like the Rimworld levels of Rube Goldberg Machine-ing that I've come to expect from the Rimworld modding community.

How balanced was it with effort put in VS what you got out from it?

Also is there a way to fight mechanoids as a tribal settlement without making super weird trap mazes? Like filling a muffalo with stick bombs and having it wander over?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Katt posted:

Like filling a muffalo with stick bombs and having it wander over?

someone's been playing the new Stronghold, I see

why'd they have to name the exploding water buffalo?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

Also is there a way to fight mechanoids as a tribal settlement without making super weird trap mazes? Like filling a muffalo with stick bombs and having it wander over?

Melee weapons are very effective against lancers and pikemen, and they're actually pretty weak in melee range. Scythers can be defeated with a combination of traps and bows with someone kiting them, just be sure to use your fastest pawn

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

MikeJF posted:

If you have a Knight then odds are that you can use Transport Pods to get you within Transport Shuttle range of the ship unless you were super unfortunate.

I don’t have Royalty. I ended up running a caravan down just to scout out how the event works, it’s more involved than I expected so I’ll use transport pods, with a relay settlement in-between if the range is too much for a direct shot.

It was fun having half my colonists turn feral on arrival while everything burned down back home, though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Melee weapons are very effective against lancers and pikemen, and they're actually pretty weak in melee range. Scythers can be defeated with a combination of traps and bows with someone kiting them, just be sure to use your fastest pawn

And hellfire cannon centipedes?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Katt posted:

If you're running Combat Extended (hence the stick bombs), I think you largely can't unless you have a number of war hammers or monoswords. Without CE, you can at least swarm the centipede in melee with everything you got and hope that death by a thousand chicken pecks works.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

You shouldn't encounter centipedes that early on. I always play with Randy on a tribal start and don't ever see a centipede until I have a significant amount of wealth and technology

And being honest, the hellfire centipede is also pretty vulnerable to melee; bait it to a blind corner and just swarm it

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

You shouldn't encounter centipedes that early on. I always play with Randy on a tribal start and don't ever see a centipede until I have a significant amount of wealth and technology

And being honest, the hellfire centipede is also pretty vulnerable to melee; bait it to a blind corner and just swarm it

I was thinking more of a long term tribal play for fun but once my settlement reaches Mali levels of wealth through trade in milk and wool I assume I will already have been wiped out by mechanoids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

I was thinking more of a long term tribal play for fun but once my settlement reaches Mali levels of wealth through trade in milk and wool I assume I will already have been wiped out by mechanoids.

Are you allowed to buy EMP grenades and research real-deal melee weapons? Centipedes won't fire their inferno cannons if you're in melee range so it's just a matter of getting people up in their face and bashing them with uranium maces

You can also prevent centipedes from invading you by just turning down or turn off the time-based difficulty scaling, I forget what the setting is called. Turning it off would mean that the challenge scales strictly to your wealth and number of pawns

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I know this conversation has happened many times already, but I can't manage to find any of them.

I'm starting my first real tribal run, any mod suggestions to make it more balanced or fun?

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 22, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love Endless Rimworld. It sets the timer so that if your entire colony dies out, a new colonist will show up within a day or two, rather than the longer time it would normally take. This lets me roleplay the "this tribe dies out, but another person stumbles by and builds on the ruins."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Little disappointed after reading a guide on how to do tribal icesheet and it was like "build basic shelter, die. Wait for a new pawn to show up and continue the story.

At least Pete Completes run has the theatrics of a straight run.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rhadamant did an extreme ice sheet series, which seemed hard but did not call for dying and starting over

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You can do ice sheets without dying. It's a extremely common challenge run.

Imo extreme deserts are more difficult in the long run.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How does beauty work when they're outdoors? Is there a radius of effect or eyelines or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's also how it works indoors, yes. Pawns have a visibility range.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Is there an easy way to set a tailoring bill to, for example, make 10 parkas, but vary the textiles used? If I have a stockpile of cloth, devilstrand, hyperweave, and various leathers selected in the bill the crafter will make all 10 out of cloth or whatever material the pawn finds first. I’m open to mod or workflow suggestions. I’m currently micromanaging it and it is starting to become tedious.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dragonrah posted:

Is there an easy way to set a tailoring bill to, for example, make 10 parkas, but vary the textiles used? If I have a stockpile of cloth, devilstrand, hyperweave, and various leathers selected in the bill the crafter will make all 10 out of cloth or whatever material the pawn finds first. I’m open to mod or workflow suggestions. I’m currently micromanaging it and it is starting to become tedious.

Best Mix (Continued) has a "random" option that I haven't tried but should do it.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Awesome. Thank you. Apparently, I couldn’t come up with an adequate search term for google.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what is the recommended embrasure mod as they all seem somewhat out of date

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Wasn’t there a website that collected specific map gens with preview images? Am I crazy? I can’t seem to find it again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone know why when selecting stuff to take in a caravan my game just grinds to a halt? its fine everywhere else but makes starting caravans suck

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dragonrah posted:

Wasn’t there a website that collected specific map gens with preview images? Am I crazy? I can’t seem to find it again.

I think you’re confusing that with Valheim.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Dragonrah posted:

there's a mod called "Map Reroll" that lets you see a bunch of map gens and reroll your map tile. it has preview images for what the tile will look like.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Jose posted:

Anyone know why when selecting stuff to take in a caravan my game just grinds to a halt? its fine everywhere else but makes starting caravans suck

There's a mod specifically to address this issue! It's something like "Caravan Lag Eliminator." And to answer your Embrasures question, I use one that's tagged for 1.1 "ED-Embrasures" It still works fine for 1.2!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zosologist posted:

I know this conversation has happened many times already, but I can't manage to find any of them.

I'm starting my first real tribal run, any mod suggestions to make it more balanced or fun?

Unless you're in a climate where you can grow food year-round, I like to turn all the excess meat I can into pemmican. I will often make only vegetarian meals so that all the meat gets preserved.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
theres also the map design mod which isnt like full on map painting but does give you more control and some neat pre-set map types to choose from, could be relevant to your question

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jose posted:

On the third tab, turn off auto-supply or whatever it's called. The function that adds food, medicine and bedrolls. That will lag quite a bit.
Caravan interface will also just lag if you have a ton of animals and items, it's just a lot to process I guess.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I love the little poo poo that comes up in this game.

I'm doing a desert base run in a mountain range and I've been trying to save at least 4 of my camels I custom started with (ate 6/10 at this point).

It seems like daylilies are okay for fast food, but now I'm considering something I read on reddit - just sending a pawn out to "Herd" them Lol. Would that end up working?

Just playing my herding simulator game here.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 27, 2021

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

now I'm considering something I read on reddit - just sending a pawn out to "Herd" them Lol. Would that end up working?

Do you mean, send them out in a caravan? That does work sometimes! If you're surrounded by a bunch of extreme desert, or serious winter cold, it still may not work, but I have done this before to stave off herd animal death. (But send at least two pawns, one with a ranged weapon and one with a melee, otherwise you risk losing everything to a raider or a bunch of angry squirrels instead of starvation)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Dragonrah posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorldSeeds

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

theres also the map design mod which isnt like full on map painting but does give you more control and some neat pre-set map types to choose from, could be relevant to your question

Ooo, I wasn't the question asker but this looks great. Totally installing this.

After over 300 unmodded hours I finally dived in and tried a bunch of them, and my favorite so far is just the one that adds fishing. I always thought it was weird that the base game didn't have it, and it makes extremely hot and cold maps much more doable. Not EASY, but more doable.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I don't know why this didn't occur to me to do before, but after catching up on Netflix's Lost In Space reboot I'm doing a colony that's a single family, parents and three teenagers. I tend to reload if a colonist dies anyway so this story won't get too dark, I hope.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
How the hell do people manage clothing and armor (in terms of wearing them).

If I force wear sometimes people get crabby or just discard their pants/shirt at random.

The outfit tab is admittedly a complete mystery to me (I'm not going to search through everything just for Kevlar armor).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kris xK posted:

How the hell do people manage clothing and armor (in terms of wearing them).

If I force wear sometimes people get crabby or just discard their pants/shirt at random.

The outfit tab is admittedly a complete mystery to me (I'm not going to search through everything just for Kevlar armor).

Colonists will only wear whatever you say they are allowed to wear, and then there's a cost function for deciding specific pieces of apparel from your stockpiles, which is most heavily dependent on the sum of armor values. Pawns will not normally remove Forced apparel, I don't recall the conditions under which that could happen

The outfit tab isn't that long and by default has everything (or almost everything?) checked. So you just need to deselect stuff that you don't want them to wear. This works pretty well, sometimes you need separate outfits defined for summer and winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Colonists will only wear whatever you say they are allowed to wear, and then there's a cost function for deciding specific pieces of apparel from your stockpiles, which is most heavily dependent on the sum of armor values. Pawns will not normally remove Forced apparel, I don't recall the conditions under which that could happen

What I meant was a colonist arrives at my colony with a shirt and pants. I force wear a kevlar vest and pants, sometimes a colonist will decide to ONLY wear the force worn Kevlar, removing his original pants.

QuarkJets posted:

The outfit tab isn't that long and by default has everything (or almost everything?) checked. So you just need to deselect stuff that you don't want them to wear. This works pretty well, sometimes you need separate outfits defined for summer and winter.

I need to suck it up and dive in, fair enough.