Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I mean yes. So glad I moved out of qc to working as a LIMS admin at my company. Qc just updated their definition of an adverse trend for em sampling (by that I mean they finally created one) three months ago and qa is now freaking out because there are dozens of adverse EM trends because manufacturing is bad at aseptic technique in high iso rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
LIMS you say??

Who was the guy at AMRI? Looks like you’re most likely purchasing our software globally. It won’t be live for years probably but progress!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yeah. My company made a dumb decision during initial scope and bought MODA for the micro em portion and labware LIMS FOR general quality control. So I get to admin them both whee

Hopefully the dual experience will help whenever I go on the market next.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spikes32 posted:

Yeah. My company made a dumb decision during initial scope and bought MODA for the micro em portion and labware LIMS FOR general quality control. So I get to admin them both whee

Hopefully the dual experience will help whenever I go on the market next.

I want to hug you and tell you it's going to be ok.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yeah I know moda is almost non existant. I'm focusing as much of my time and learning on labware as I can.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

Yeah I know moda is almost non existant. I'm focusing as much of my time and learning on labware as I can.

Dead product, dead company :P.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Quite possibly, but at least it's a LIMS system so the experience will actually translate better

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm just messing around, they're still (probably?) the #1 LIMS vendor and our biggest competitor. We might be #1 now but no one releases their data since we're all private.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
The big question is what happens when the owner of labware dies and leaves it to his son who doesn't work for the company. Ideally I'll have broader experience before that happens.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

The big question is what happens when the owner of labware dies and leaves it to his son who doesn't work for the company. Ideally I'll have broader experience before that happens.

My understanding (as of about a year ago) is that his son is back involved in the business. Vance has been talking to our owner recently so I'm curious if he's debating selling but it could be completely unrelated.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Oh that's news to me. Without the sec conference labware normally runs all my gossip is out of date.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lyon posted:

LIMS you say??

Who was the guy at AMRI? Looks like you’re most likely purchasing our software globally. It won’t be live for years probably but progress!

Hahaha took them long enough, I’ve since fled to new employer that isn’t operating like a startup on the international stage.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
My partner is trying to figure out if we can move to Sweden. He'll be able to get me a work visa, but I'm having trouble finding LIMS jobs in the EU. Labware has one job in 'Europe' but I don't have the experience called for. Any suggestions or knowledge of the lims scene a cross the pond?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

My partner is trying to figure out if we can move to Sweden. He'll be able to get me a work visa, but I'm having trouble finding LIMS jobs in the EU. Labware has one job in 'Europe' but I don't have the experience called for. Any suggestions or knowledge of the lims scene a cross the pond?

Labware have Swedish employees since I yesterday got an email in Swedish from them. ( we are looking for a new eln).
If it has to be Sweden, I would look at the Copenhagen area in Denmark since you have plenty of pharma including Novo Nordisk there and the commute from south of Sweden is like an hour. Plenty of Swedes are working in Denmark and commuting daily.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks appreciate it. And yeah partners job (which is still just a maybe) would be in Stockholm. He's interning for Erikson and might get an offer post PhD for the kista office. Or maybe San Jose California. I'm rooting for remote / San Jose but trying to do my homework.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks appreciate it. And yeah partners job (which is still just a maybe) would be in Stockholm. He's interning for Erikson and might get an offer post PhD for the kista office. Or maybe San Jose California. I'm rooting for remote / San Jose but trying to do my homework.

So Stockholm.
You have what remains of AstraZenecas production facilities in Södertälje south of Stockholm, a Pfizer facility making hGH in Strängnäs, what remains of Sobi in Stockholm and maybe Scilife which is university, but aimed at biologicals. Oh and Cytiva in Uppsala (former GE) who produces the FPLCs who are industry standard in protein production.
Plus a bunch of small size pharma.
Speaking of Erikson, they have a site in south of Sweden in Lund.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Cardiac posted:

So Stockholm.
You have what remains of AstraZenecas production facilities in Södertälje south of Stockholm, a Pfizer facility making hGH in Strängnäs, what remains of Sobi in Stockholm and maybe Scilife which is university, but aimed at biologicals. Oh and Cytiva in Uppsala (former GE) who produces the FPLCs who are industry standard in protein production.
Plus a bunch of small size pharma.
Speaking of Erikson, they have a site in south of Sweden in Lund.

This is amazing thank you. Most of what I found was all the small siza pharma, most of which were in pre clinical. Those size companies don't want /need LIMS stuff so I was striking out.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
MD/MV question: Where can I find info about Method Development at a super basic level?
I worked in an analytical (QC) lab for 5 years, and only got certain pieces of MD, like developing sample preps to remove interferences, or HPLC mobile phase. Otherwise I just did the Validations.

Wherever I look for info about MD what I see is focused on really specific things like "here are nuances of columns, detectors, and maximizing peak separation." Of course that takes a lot of time but that is always specific to your analyte and instruments, and I'm looking for something more basic. What about an example of developing a method when things just work, something simple like moisture analysis? I did find lots of guides for things to research when selecting instruments and parameters, which I appreciated, but they skip over the most basic steps.

What I would love is a guide like "Prepare 10 NIST standards from 70% to 130% of your target concentration, then confirm LOQ is X, precision is Y, and accuracy is Z. If not, optimize until they are. Great, now validate it." I get this is glossing over the hard part, but I'm missing that easy part. Maybe experienced MD people can just eyeball their results and push it forward to MV? But I think seeing a general strategy for basic MD would really help me understand what is involved.

Could anyone recommend a site or book which includes a method development strategy that is general and basic? Thank you!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teardrop posted:

MD/MV question: Where can I find info about Method Development at a super basic level?
I worked in an analytical (QC) lab for 5 years, and only got certain pieces of MD, like developing sample preps to remove interferences, or HPLC mobile phase. Otherwise I just did the Validations.

Wherever I look for info about MD what I see is focused on really specific things like "here are nuances of columns, detectors, and maximizing peak separation." Of course that takes a lot of time but that is always specific to your analyte and instruments, and I'm looking for something more basic. What about an example of developing a method when things just work, something simple like moisture analysis? I did find lots of guides for things to research when selecting instruments and parameters, which I appreciated, but they skip over the most basic steps.

What I would love is a guide like "Prepare 10 NIST standards from 70% to 130% of your target concentration, then confirm LOQ is X, precision is Y, and accuracy is Z. If not, optimize until they are. Great, now validate it." I get this is glossing over the hard part, but I'm missing that easy part. Maybe experienced MD people can just eyeball their results and push it forward to MV? But I think seeing a general strategy for basic MD would really help me understand what is involved.

Could anyone recommend a site or book which includes a method development strategy that is general and basic? Thank you!
Asking for a method on how to do method development is the most meta thing I've heard in a while.

Method Development means a lot of different things to different people, but generally what do you do when there is no method is a political question that requires by-in from sample submitters, decision makers, and other stake holders. If it was just following a decision matrix or hierarchy, it wouldn't be method development; it'd be following an established method.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a copy of Modern HPLC for Practicing Scientists, and it has a pretty general method development chapter. The table of contents is online, peep chapter 8, see if it's what you're looking for https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/0471973106.fmatter

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
^ ^ ^ Hey, that looks great! The paperback is not expensive and I'll see if there's a pdf cheaper. Thank you.

Dik Hz posted:

Asking for a method on how to do method development is the most meta thing I've heard in a while.

Method Development means a lot of different things to different people, but generally what do you do when there is no method is a political question that requires by-in from sample submitters, decision makers, and other stake holders. If it was just following a decision matrix or hierarchy, it wouldn't be method development; it'd be following an established method.

Yes I'm oversimplifying, but I feel like it gets overcomplicated too. On some level most methods are variations on established techniques. If you want to call that a method adaptation or transfer sure, but I've usually just seen it called MD. Even if it was shorter than the MV, just copying a literature method and running some spike recovery and SST! And that's the kind of case I'm asking about, where a new (to your organization) MD could basically follow an SOP. Because for the rest of it, I follow what's going on, I've got good notes on MD research steps, I know communication with stake holders is key and I can do DOE etc for optimization. No expert but I can follow it.

If I could find a guide for simple MD like that, I would really appreciate it. If it really is just an esoteric art passed down from mentor to pupil, maybe I can look up GMP method transfer or IUPAC/ISO MV guidelines or something, then work backwards to write myself a "MD" method. Books with good MD/MV examples appreciated also!

teardrop fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 18, 2021

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Method development really depends on the type of lab you’re in and what sort of qc requirements you have. For example, I work on method development but not in a regulatory context or industry lab, so most of what I need to do is determine what sort of requirements I think are appropriate for various parameters and then perform the experiments needed to demonstrate they can be met. At its most fundamental I assess accuracy, precision, background levels, hold time, and do a statistical analysis of how the method performs at various concentrations, etc. once I’ve got a chromatography and mass spectrometry method that seems to be doing well enough for quantitation. For chromatography, the optimization depends a lot on the target matrix and type of analysis, drinking water methods are going to be a lot cleaner than bio solid extracts from the standpoint of potential matrix interferences. Your ability to assess them will also differ by your analysis device; my triple quads aren’t great at measuring general “background “ because were always running them in targeted screening mode, for example, so we can miss ionization interferences easily. As a result I rely heavily on internal standards to monitor them.

On the other hand, my co workers who do work on regulatory method development need to consider what instruments are available widely, test on multiple vendor systems, do multi lab validations, all of which happens once the initial method development is finished.

Velius fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 19, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teardrop posted:

^ ^ ^ Hey, that looks great! The paperback is not expensive and I'll see if there's a pdf cheaper. Thank you.

Yes I'm oversimplifying, but I feel like it gets overcomplicated too. On some level most methods are variations on established techniques. If you want to call that a method adaptation or transfer sure, but I've usually just seen it called MD. Even if it was shorter than the MV, just copying a literature method and running some spike recovery and SST! And that's the kind of case I'm asking about, where a new (to your organization) MD could basically follow an SOP. Because for the rest of it, I follow what's going on, I've got good notes on MD research steps, I know communication with stake holders is key and I can do DOE etc for optimization. No expert but I can follow it.

If I could find a guide for simple MD like that, I would really appreciate it. If it really is just an esoteric art passed down from mentor to pupil, maybe I can look up GMP method transfer or IUPAC/ISO MV guidelines or something, then work backwards to write myself a "MD" method. Books with good MD/MV examples appreciated also!
You're asking for the hard part. What you're essentially asking for is how do you know you're in the right area with your method?

I find it's either intuitive or not and it's generally something you pick up in grad school. I think you're asking, but not articulating well, is how do I know if my method is appropriate? Do some more reading on statistics and experiment design, I think? Every measurement has variance due to instrumental error, operator error, sample prep errors, and others. You need to understand those errors, their magnitudes, and how they interact. In a chemistry lab, understanding the chemistry of the samples and the chemistry of the measurement is essential in knowing these things. When you understand the errors, you can assume a normal distribution of measurement results and from there predict what fraction of your measurements will fall outside your expected values and determine control windows and things like that.

Project Management teaches these things on a high level, because method development is very much a Project, in the Project Management sense of the word. There's got to be a technical short course at PittCon that teaches these things, I would imagine?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

You're asking for the hard part. What you're essentially asking for is how do you know you're in the right area with your method?

I find it's either intuitive or not and it's generally something you pick up in grad school. I think you're asking, but not articulating well, is how do I know if my method is appropriate? Do some more reading on statistics and experiment design, I think? Every measurement has variance due to instrumental error, operator error, sample prep errors, and others. You need to understand those errors, their magnitudes, and how they interact. In a chemistry lab, understanding the chemistry of the samples and the chemistry of the measurement is essential in knowing these things. When you understand the errors, you can assume a normal distribution of measurement results and from there predict what fraction of your measurements will fall outside your expected values and determine control windows and things like that.

Project Management teaches these things on a high level, because method development is very much a Project, in the Project Management sense of the word. There's got to be a technical short course at PittCon that teaches these things, I would imagine?

PittCon has gone down the tubes lately. The courses I took there last year were really basic or dated; for example there was a course on Excel/VBA and no course on Python or R. The one on method development and measurement uncertainty was also pretty uninspiring. I think ASMS and other conferences are the way to go now for most things, all the major mass spec vendors are bailing on PittCon too.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I knew R is big in bioinformatics, but is it big in analytical these days too? Cool. When the crusty old statistician was teaching me R is 2004 I thought for sure it was an anachronism

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Epitope posted:

I knew R is big in bioinformatics, but is it big in analytical these days too? Cool. When the crusty old statistician was teaching me R is 2004 I thought for sure it was an anachronism

I’m on the environmental side of things, and we’re just starting to get into non targeted analysis, where the fun part is identifying what stuff in the sea of data is meaningful amongst all the background. Tools more powerful than excel are pretty important to make sense of it all, in conjunction with proper experimental design.

I didn’t really like R and never got into it, and I’m trying to get more into Python for purposes of data refinement and processing. But R can do pretty much the same stuff, just with a very different approach and mindset from the developers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spikes32 posted:

Or maybe San Jose California. I'm rooting for remote / San Jose but trying to do my homework.

If you end up landing in the Bay Area, look into Genentech, we could use more goons. And working here does not suck. We've got something like 800 PathLIMS users, and anyone who wants to write their own ticket for lab automation should be looking in our direction. The new head of research and early development is big on computational biology, so R and Python are both in demand.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

If you end up landing in the Bay Area, look into Genentech, we could use more goons.

I have to admit, this company does not suck. That's odd for me to say.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mllaneza posted:

If you end up landing in the Bay Area, look into Genentech, we could use more goons. And working here does not suck. We've got something like 800 PathLIMS users, and anyone who wants to write their own ticket for lab automation should be looking in our direction. The new head of research and early development is big on computational biology, so R and Python are both in demand.

Out of professional curiosity, how much effort are Genentech putting into using machine leaning/AI for drug discovery?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

I have to admit, this company does not suck. That's odd for me to say.

Ok obviously Sundae has been replaced by a robot

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cardiac posted:

Out of professional curiosity, how much effort are Genentech putting into using machine leaning/AI for drug discovery?

We're setting up lots of HPC resources for ML/AI projects. All forms of Computational Biology projects are GO.

e.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Ok obviously Sundae has been replaced by a robot

Nahhh,

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He has won the battle against himself. He loves big pharma

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks guys I intend to for sure if I end up in the bay area. My experience is more heavy gmp experience and configuration / light coding than light gmp / heavy coding so we'll see.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Hi all. Just found this thread. Definitely feeling a bit like a rat in a cage right now. Probably mostly the lockdown, though.

I'm currently a postdoc at a national lab in Germany, though I did my PhD in Chemistry in the US. I'm looking at moving back to the west coast to be closer to family and friends. I'm not particularly interested in the rat race of academia, so I'm looking at opportunities in industry. My PhD was mostly focused on energy storage and polymer synthesis / analysis. It seems most of the available relevant positions where I'd be qualified are at Bay Area startups. Specifically Sila Nanotech and QuantumScape. Does anyone here have any experience in the energy storage field? I'm not sure if I should be looking at senior scientist positions or what. I'm also not opposed to other fields like pharma, but I'm not sure what qualifications I would bring to the table. I have about a year and a half left on my contract here, and it would bring me some peace of mind to start building contacts in the area. Should I just start applying blindly to see if I get any bites?

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 25, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Greatest Living Man posted:

Hi all. Just found this thread. Definitely feeling a bit like a rat in a cage right now. Probably mostly the lockdown, though.

I'm currently a postdoc at a national lab in Germany, though I did my PhD in Chemistry in the US. I'm looking at moving back to the west coast to be closer to family and friends. I'm not particularly interested in the rat race of academia, so I'm looking at opportunities in industry. My PhD was mostly focused on energy storage and polymer synthesis / analysis. It seems most of the available relevant positions where I'd be qualified are at Bay Area startups. Specifically Sila Nanotech and QuantumScape. Does anyone here have any experience in the energy storage field? I'm not sure if I should be looking at senior scientist positions or what. I'm also not opposed to other fields like pharma, but I'm not sure what qualifications I would bring to the table. I have about a year and a half left on my contract here, and it would bring me some peace of mind to start building contacts in the area. Should I just start applying blindly to see if I get any bites?
I hire polymer synthesis chemists in the manufacturing and coatings industry, and 1.5 years is way too soon to look in my industry. Not sure about other industries.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
There are way too many good jobs in the Bay Area and I do not want to live there

I have 16 years of experience in building out automation labs and making them successful with a recent specialization integrating into data science/ML

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 26, 2021

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Organizational question for those working in GMP/Pharma. Friend of mine was working in a dedicated data review group that was embedded in the stability unit, their only job was to review stability results so the review didn't get ignored forever by the SME teams. Apparently the taskmasters are his employer are now shuffling him and the data review team into QA,. Unsurprisingly the reason given was that this was a compliance risk but this seems like a odd thing to do since if usually quality just does final approval after the SME teams handle review. Has anyone else here seen data review teams placed into the QA department?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Bastard Tetris posted:

There are way too many good jobs in the Bay Area and I do not want to live there

Why not?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Right coast is better :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Cost of living, lovely lovely lovely infrastructure (including freeways), not as nice of weather compared to southern california (might be specific to me), tech Bros everywhere, a lack of forward planning by the state/city resulting in a huge class divide (see infrastructure) and general snobbery by everyone there for different reasons.

That said if your specialization is starting up automation machine learning labs and have any kind of glp experience you could write your own ticket in the bay area.