Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a solid laugh out of "I read the Hobbit, in 1937 when it first came out"

Its Rinaldo posted:

Boooo humanizing the fake captain I'm on to you I won't like him!

Edit: Lol going back to his high school to give him a soft landing

I really hoping he's going to just turn out to be a over enthusiastic and easily duped dope, rather than an out and out villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Are you...black kid?

GOT EM!

Edit: Yeah they really aren't backing off on the race aspect.

Lol soul gazing exercise

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 26, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress yeah Isaiah Bradley

twistedmentat posted:

I got a solid laugh out of "I read the Hobbit, in 1937 when it first came out"

I really hoping he's going to just turn out to be a over enthusiastic and easily duped dope, rather than an out and out villain.

I hope not.

gently caress that guy and what he represents. Rodgers is imo the exception to the Rule.

No way in hell should a white dude and the governmental representation of American Jingoism be the good guy. Steve Rodgers works, but any other generic white dude #1056 else donning that mantle should not be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Its Rinaldo posted:

Are you...black kid?

GOT EM!

Edit: Yeah they really aren't backing off on the race aspect.

Lol soul gazing exercise

I can't wait to see the next week of dicussion to be about how unrealistic a famous black man would be harassed by two squad cars worth of cops

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait to see the next week of dicussion to be about how unrealistic a famous black man would be harassed by two squad cars worth of cops

Just post this and laugh

https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/26/entertainment/dr-dre-detained-by-police

Not to mention any number of personal anecdotes lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol that was the stupidest distraction ever run straight into a firing line of merc goons that was so dumb

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Poor redwing :(

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Get closer.

Closer.

Now kith

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They really nerfed Wyatt Russell with that haircut and lack of beard. Obviously neither would have made sense for the character, but he’s an iconic-lookin man

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Desperado Bones posted:

This is quite neat;

Does anyone know who did this?

They’re by Riana McKeith.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh how odd, this episode really went out of its way to show that the Flag-Smashers are stealing medicine for refugees, genuinely care for each other, and are under the thumb of some other actual evil force?

It’s almost as if... they were never actually the bad guys?

Hell, you even had Sam questioning the situation on the plane after the mission.

Goons really do love making broad assumptions about shows that have only aired a small handful of episodes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cattail Prophet posted:

What the actual gently caress, that soldier was ~80 at minimum when he had that kid. :stare:

He could have been 79.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm definitely getting vibes that the Flag Smashers are gonna be the sympathetic faction when all is said and done, and then Walker's gonna be all "HURURRR no I'm still gonna punch you for America HUUUR!" and then Sam will have to go "No you can't punch them for America," which will show that he's the right Captain America. But I do hope their actual ideology becomes a bit more coherent soon. If there's a lot of people supporting their cause, which as far as we know is that the Blip made things better, then that really needs to be covered with a lot of nuance and depth.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

I'm definitely getting vibes that the Flag Smashers are gonna be the sympathetic faction when all is said and done, and then Walker's gonna be all "HURURRR no I'm still gonna punch you for America HUUUR!" and then Sam will have to go "No you can't punch them for America," which will show that he's the right Captain America. But I do hope their actual ideology becomes a bit more coherent soon. If there's a lot of people supporting their cause, which as far as we know is that the Blip made things better, then that really needs to be covered with a lot of nuance and depth.

This is probably a "goon-jump" take but... in America right after 9-11, there was a lot of pulling together, a lot of unification. It didn't necessarily lead to good things (eternal War on Brown People "Terror") but a lot of people came to miss that feeling of unity and togetherness. Very probably something much like that happened after the Blip, with the survivors pulling together. I don't think it's that the Flag-smashers want to kill 4 Billion people to get the Blip back (they might, but I kind of doubt it). They instead want that "We're all in this together" feeling to return instead of the world just returning to what it was "Pre-Blip" with the same self-interested assholes running the world.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So is the Power Broker gonna end up being Reed Richards or Mephisto ?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It'll be Sage, finally that Tick crossover we've all needed

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone posted:

This is probably a "goon-jump" take but... in America right after 9-11, there was a lot of pulling together, a lot of unification. It didn't necessarily lead to good things (eternal War on Brown People "Terror") but a lot of people came to miss that feeling of unity and togetherness. Very probably something much like that happened after the Blip, with the survivors pulling together. I don't think it's that the Flag-smashers want to kill 4 Billion people to get the Blip back (they might, but I kind of doubt it). They instead want that "We're all in this together" feeling to return instead of the world just returning to what it was "Pre-Blip" with the same self-interested assholes running the world.

Yeah I think this was very overt with how overly helpful and loving the family helping them out was. Down to the exorbitant focus on the food-boxes. :swoon:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Everyone posted:

Disney making the good guys the bad guys again, how classic This episode was ton of fun and I really enjoyed the seeds they sowed

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think a lot of these ramifications are going to depend on exactly how willing this show is going to be about demonizing American institutions and American administrations. And going by the two episodes so far the answer seems to be...kinda? Sorta? Could always be more, but does make an effort?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So what are Buckys powers? I thought he just was good with guns / fighting and had a super arm. Not jump out of plan and smash into the ground unharmed powerful

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

badjohny posted:

So what are Buckys powers? I thought he just was good with guns / fighting and had a super arm. Not jump out of plan and smash into the ground unharmed powerful

He got the Soviet knockoff superserum which apparently allows for jumping out of planes without parachutes. The Soviet version apparently does not grant superhero landing abilities though.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

badjohny posted:

I've always felt that Bucky was pretty close to Cap's level but the arm putting him just about equal in strength. I'm curious if there going to show the brand x version of Super soldier serum having the same type of drawbacks as the comics.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So they are already hinting that new cap is a good solider, but maybe not a good man. I am wondering if He gets his hands on the Super Soilder Serum and it makes him worse

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

badjohny posted:

So they are already hinting that new cap is a good solider, but maybe not a good man. I am wondering if He gets his hands on the Super Soilder Serum and it makes him worse

I was wondering if he'd already taken it, and was lying about just being naturally gifted.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

badjohny posted:

I donno, I like John how he's portrayed here, made me feel bad at all the people making fun of him last week meme-ing him. I HOPE that John, is a good guy, just a VERY strong believer that's easily manipulated.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was wondering why new Cap looked familiar and he plays the rear end in a top hat in literally everything i've seen him in. gently caress.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Everyone posted:

Imagine the snap breaking the megacorps, snapping away dictators and oligarchs. And the. 5 years later they're back baby

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

frgildan posted:

I've always felt that Bucky was pretty close to Cap's level but the arm putting him just about equal in strength. I'm curious if there going to show the brand x version of Super soldier serum having the same type of drawbacks as the comics.

I still like the theory that the super soldier serum has always been right, it just reacts differently for everyone depending on their internal being. Cap, Red skull, hulk, abomination, all reflections of their interal character.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Goffer posted:

I still like the theory that the super soldier serum has always been right, it just reacts differently for everyone depending on their internal being. Cap, Red skull, hulk, abomination, all reflections of their interal character.

That's a really good theory.

It also makes me tickled that the whole Vita-Ray contraption of Stark's in the MCU didn't do crap.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

live with fruit posted:

So is the Power Broker gonna end up being Reed Richards or Mephisto ?

I know this is a joke but it lead me to the marvel comics wiki and something potentially spoiler if this is where they are going with it. In comics the Power Broker is just the name of a D-list villian who does exactly that, merchant out powers. But the notable thing is that he's the one who super-soldiered both John Walker and Battlestar

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Diabetic posted:

That's a really good theory.

It also makes me tickled that the whole Vita-Ray contraption of Stark's in the MCU didn't do crap.

gave him a sick tan

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

massive spider posted:

I know this is a joke but it lead me to the marvel comics wiki and something potentially spoiler if this is where they are going with it. In comics the Power Broker is just the name of a D-list villian who does exactly that, merchant out powers. But the notable thing is that he's the one who super-soldiered both John Walker and Battlestar

doesn't seem like Battlestar has the serum right now? But JW might... Though Morgenthau dispatched him with relative ease. Could be inexperience

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I need to see the 1951 flashback match between Bradley vs. Barnes in Korea. Make the 30 minute side episode please.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

badjohny posted:

Super speed (he ran really fast to catch up to and jump on that truck) and strength, and presumably stuff like accelerated healing and whatever else Steve's got. The serum allowed him to survive the fall from the train into the ravine in First Avenger, then made it so the bad guys could attach a gently caress-off metal arm to the stump of his shoulder, and let him survive repeated cryofreezing and electroshock torture.

Episode was great. Really tore up a little at Bucky's "maybe he was wrong about you. And if he was wrong about you, then he was wrong about me". Great delivery.

I think I'm much more into Sam and Bucky's personal poo poo than the main storyline, though, it's all pretty compelling.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

massive spider posted:

Should really know better by now but it really feels like they're setting up the Power Broker to be the big bad of this series. And if he's a guy with Super Serum, probably a big bad in general. So I guess Doom then.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Walker throwing the shield to save Battlestar was loving awesome and showed off that he has trained with the shield enough to do neat tricks with it like Steve. I'm glad I called that they're going a bit more sympathetic on Walker, at least for now. It's much more interesting than him being a Haywood-like cartoon villain. Now it's more interesting when he hulks out and beats a dude to death with the shield. He really spent the whole episode trying to reach out to Falcon, even if he was pissed at him right in the end.

The line about him jumping on 4 grenades was really charming, and I liked that he shouted out Banner alongside Stark.

The scene with the racist cops was beat for beat the same as the scene with A-Train in the sports store in season 2 and it was just as believable and depressing

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Goffer posted:

I don't think it's necessarily the "right" serum, but it's certainly still always done stuff based on the internal being of the person. Banner before Hulk was always too weak to defend himself even when angry or terrified or whatever, so the Hulk is able to do that for him.

Also I'm absolutely calling it now JW and Battlestar are gonna end up getting a serum from Power Broker somehow and will need to be neutralised because of it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

He got the Soviet knockoff superserum which apparently allows for jumping out of planes without parachutes. The Soviet version apparently does not grant superhero landing abilities though.

Sam was joking about his "cyborg brain". Could just be man with metal arm = cyborg, but it could also be he's less super serum and more Soviet Street Samurai and mechanically enhanced to compete with super serum soldiers

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They showed he already had those skills before with the montage from the interview. I don't think they are going sympathetic at all with this guy. He's cocky and already made out to be an rear end in a top hat by the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That montage made me think they were doing a spin on MVP and combining him with Walker a bit.

Will this series have the guts to make Flag Smasher a superhero like they're telegraphing? Or more fodder for the Thunderbolts?