Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also LOL trying to apologize for poo poo GG said in 2004 while he's saying incredibly cringey bad poo poo almost every day right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Beelzebufo posted:

Why is the erosion of free speech always about the right to defend phrenology again and never about why someone like Richard Wolff would never appear on Fox or MSNBC?
dick wolff has appeared on fox many times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7zMF8Bgkb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-p5OT89-Uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Dkph6FR_Q

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Haven't seen it mentioned, so lol remember when Greenwald got really mad because AOC told Ted Cruz to gently caress off, and then said this?

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355630170523111425?s=20

I don't give a gently caress what your politics are, or how you feel about AOC, or what side of Force the Vote you were on, mocking a survivor of sexual assault for their response to an incredibly traumatic event because they didn't even have any bruises and Why Can't They Just Get Over It makes you an unforgivably enormous piece of poo poo. In this case, however, it's just one more part that makes up the absolute mountain of poo poo that is Glenn Greenwald.

p.s. Jimmy Dore is also an enormous piece of poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

As other posts in this thread have pointed out, once you realize he's a misogynist, his takes and reactions because really obvious whenever he disagrees with a woman.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

kartikeya posted:

This made me remember or misremember that he was part of The Young Turks which has been a 'progressive' association that aged poorly.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Where do people place the Hill people Crystal and Saagar?

I have picked up their show in youtube once or twice and can't seem to make heads or tails of it from an ideology standpoint.

Saagar seems like a populist conservative and Crystal seems like a leftist. But they have guests like Greenwald, Taibbi, and rogan.

How does that even work?

Overall it seemed better than your average news show, but it was weird.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

But they have guests like Greenwald, Taibbi, and rogan.

Oh wow a triple threat.

Taibbi's a guy I read from time to time but seems like the real reason he hates the media is that he was never getting invited to the good parties.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kartikeya posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned, so lol remember when Greenwald got really mad because AOC told Ted Cruz to gently caress off, and then said this?

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355630170523111425?s=20

I don't give a gently caress what your politics are, or how you feel about AOC, or what side of Force the Vote you were on, mocking a survivor of sexual assault for their response to an incredibly traumatic event because they didn't even have any bruises and Why Can't They Just Get Over It makes you an unforgivably enormous piece of poo poo. In this case, however, it's just one more part that makes up the absolute mountain of poo poo that is Glenn Greenwald.

i am amused that these dumb sacks of poo poo poo poo on loving west wing for putting stupidly toxic concepts of "bipartisan" poo poo in folks minds(which is true to various degrees) but are willing to believe ted cruz and other out and out nazis or their fellow travelers as good faith people so they can poo poo on one of the better progressives in goverment because she didnt pass their weird purity test. gently caress them. they arnt mad at the dems for courting the GOP moderates, they are mad that they weren't courting the nazis.

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355690112214962180

wtf

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 26, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Oh wow a triple threat.

Taibbi's a guy I read from time to time but seems like the real reason he hates the media is that he was never getting invited to the good parties.

taibbi makes me sad because he has written some great loving books and articles,(i still recommend "i cant breath" to folks but something happened and his brain crackpinged super hard around when trump got in.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2021

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

taibbi makes me sad because he has written some great loving books and articles,(i still recommend "i cant breath" to folks but something happened and his brain crackpinged super hard around when trump got in.

Was genuinely sad to watch what happened to Taibbi. His indecorous and direct method of excruciatingly detailing inhumanity and corporate malfeasance during the Iraq war was one of the rare early examples of how to actually address neoconservatism or any subsequent conservatism. Then, something broke.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Taibbi's case is depressing. I actually spoke briefly to him a couple of times.

From what I have gathered, he was doing quite well with his books abd RS columns. I have those books and they are great. His star was on the rise as someone who had a visceral way to call out the bullshit of the powerful, Democratic or Republican. poo poo, first time I ever heard of Bernie Sanders was in his book The Great Derangement.

The supposedly 'liberal' people found his eXile stuff, particularly the book he wrote with Mark Ames, which details a very decadent, bro-ish lifestyle in the Russia od the late 90's and early 2000s: drugs, booze, partying and harrassing women. How much of it is accurate and how much is them playing up the Hunter Thompson angle and selling post-USSR Russia as a modern babylon is up to each one's judgement.

But it was the golden opportunity a lot of the Maddow/Russiagate crowd were waiting to pounce on him, and all the corporations he had pissed off were also happy. This was just as MeToo was just past its peak, but still strong.

So yeah, I can see how he despises the people that crushed his shot while also sweeping Biden's creepiness, or even Cuomo's, under the carpet. I still regret the direction he is taking.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

when you write a book that is published as nonfiction with yourself as the main character doing a bunch of rape and sexual harassment, it gives your enemies a lot of pretty easy ammo even if you meant it to be some kind of satire of the other terrible american expats exploiting moscow at the time. i just looked and taibbi's apology called it "stupid, cruel, mean-spirited, and gratuitous" and that sounds about right

he's also since written another successful book and is still a Rolling Stone columnist and has (according to articles about this) in the range of tens of thousands of $5/mo subscribers on substack.

so uh he's still doing quite well for himself, judging by the massive platform and high six figure salary (on the very low end, probably more like low seven) from his substack alone

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The fact that Glen has to gall to chastise AOC for "centering herself in every drama," and also that she should be building bridges with TED. loving. CRUZ. is a new level of sick. The fact that he is implying that Cruz is NOT a white supremacist when he very clearly is is just icing on the cake.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

eke out posted:

when you write a book that is published as nonfiction with yourself as the main character doing a bunch of rape and sexual harassment, it gives your enemies a lot of pretty easy ammo even if you meant it to be some kind of satire of the other terrible american expats exploiting moscow at the time. i just looked and taibbi's apology called it "stupid, cruel, mean-spirited, and gratuitous" and that sounds about right

he's also since written another successful book and is still a Rolling Stone columnist and has (according to articles about this) in the range of tens of thousands of $5/mo subscribers on substack.

so uh he's still doing quite well for himself, judging by the massive platform and high six figure salary (on the very low end, probably more like low seven) from his substack alone
He also didn’t start flirting with alt-right poo poo until maybe a year or so ago

The resurfacing of the eXile stuff was like 2017/2018 which is when his podcast with Alex Pareene shut down after maybe a year

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just speaking in general,, if there is anything loving dumber than supposed leftists flirting with fash-y poo poo I can't think of anything. It only makes sense if their leftist ideals never went beyond gently caress YOU DAD.

Motherfuckers, if the fash get their way you'll get Night of the Long Knives'd the moment it's convenient.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

One thing this thread has done to me is made me terrified to dig any deeper into the work or background of a lot of writers I like. Over the years I’ve saved a lot of articles that I periodically go back to. Now all I can think about is that any of these writers could turn out to have turned into alt-right poo poo heads, or be serial harassers, or have some form of toxicity.

Is it ever possible to admire a specific work if you later find that the author is an abhorrent person?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sean10mm posted:

Motherfuckers, if the fash get their way you'll get Night of the Long Knives'd the moment it's convenient.
Yeah I feel like they forget that part

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

letthereberock posted:

Is it ever possible to admire a specific work if you later find that the author is an abhorrent person?

It's a lot easier if you assume everyone is a human being and work your way from there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Astrochicken posted:

It's a lot easier if you assume everyone is a human being and work your way from there.

This is an insult to monkeys with typewriters.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

I get that, it just feels like white-male writers and media figures turning out to be terrible is becoming a really common thing. I don’t even like citing things anymore because I have this irrational fear that I’ll refer to some article for stats on indoor smoking bans or some poo poo only to immediately be hit with “oh you think a guy who says trans people should be put in camps should be a trusted resource for anything!?”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

letthereberock posted:

I get that, it just feels like white-male writers and media figures turning out to be terrible is becoming a really common thing. I don’t even like citing things anymore because I have this irrational fear that I’ll refer to some article for stats on indoor smoking bans or some poo poo only to immediately be hit with “oh you think a guy who says trans people should be put in camps should be a trusted resource for anything!?”

Just assume it's an inevitability sooner or later and get ready to go 'ah poo poo, my bad, let me look for something else'.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1375457770082820096

I say without irony from tucker carlson's green room

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

letthereberock posted:

One thing this thread has done to me is made me terrified to dig any deeper into the work or background of a lot of writers I like. Over the years I’ve saved a lot of articles that I periodically go back to. Now all I can think about is that any of these writers could turn out to have turned into alt-right poo poo heads, or be serial harassers, or have some form of toxicity.

My rule of thumb for authors/actors/directors/etc. that get outed as sex pests/transphobes is that my enjoyment of whatever works they made before I knew they were a shithead is fine and valid to continue to have but with the huge asterisk of "sexpest/transphobe/etc" and to not melt down if someone tells me they can no longer enjoy or appreciate those things because of whatever shittiness the creator is guilty of. I also pretty much write off any of their future work because gently caress that.

Also I think in people like Glenn's case, it's not a single incident that he could presumably apologize for or move on, it's years at this point of being a petty and toxic shithead amongst other things. I can still appreciate the solid work he and Laura Poitras did in bringing Snowden's leaks to light but recognize that he's otherwise a massive transphobic shithead now (and probably always was) and that a broken clock is right twice a day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah, in any medium you have to separate the art from the artist, otherwise you'll never enjoy anything because most people suck.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

The fact that Glen has to gall to chastise AOC for "centering herself in every drama," and also that she should be building bridges with TED. loving. CRUZ. is a new level of sick. The fact that he is implying that Cruz is NOT a white supremacist when he very clearly is is just icing on the cake.

thats what bothers me about the greenwald/coffins/dore/etc types, they think that the far right is some good faith thing or that "maybe the LIBS are lying about them" or whatever. i dont get these assholes obsession with wanting a red-fasch alliance. like they get mad when AOC works with liberal democrats and actually passes some good poo poo but they loving hate her even more because she rebuffed a bad faith monster.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1375274449612771329

can't wait for glenny and the gangs take on this.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

tom kite sent me an angry PM all offended that I would call Glenn a fascist just because he's a fascist and to tell me how much Joe Biden hates black people, just thought I would share that with everyone ITT, if I get probed for doxxing his attempt to harass me for being A LIBERAL it'll be the best 6er of my life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

tom kite sent me an angry PM all offended that I would call Glenn a fascist just because he's a fascist and to tell me how much Joe Biden hates black people, just thought I would share that with everyone ITT, if I get probed for doxxing his attempt to harass me for being A LIBERAL it'll be the best 6er of my life.

Report it to an admin. They might do something.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Who the gently caress is tom kite

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Go back one page in this thread

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah, tell an admin so they can verify and take the proper action. Don’t send harassing PMs, you goobers.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

letthereberock posted:

One thing this thread has done to me is made me terrified to dig any deeper into the work or background of a lot of writers I like.

I'm sure my favorite authors, like Dave Sim, Varg Vikernes, and Orson Scott Card, are totally fine and I don't need to worry about a thing and it certainly won't hurt to look

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

I'm sure my favorite authors, like Dave Sim, Varg Vikernes, and Orson Scott Card, are totally fine and I don't need to worry about a thing and it certainly won't hurt to look

who is dave Sim. i know the other assholes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who is dave Sim. i know the other assholes.

The Cerebus the Aardvark guy. He became a crazy misogynist.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The Cerebus the Aardvark guy. He became a crazy misogynist.

oh so the opposite of that weird online comic dude who became an ultra feminist type and than naturally a hardcore TERF.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
That's the same thing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh so the opposite of that weird online comic dude who became an ultra feminist type and than naturally a hardcore TERF.

Tatsuya Ishida of Sinfest?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

letthereberock posted:

There's nothing wrong with citing whatever is convenient as long as it is well-sourced or w/e, the problem with most of these people is they are functionally opinion writers, and they basically don't bother supporting any of their claims ON TOP OF all the TERF poo poo and whatnot. It's as much a problem in the sciences, there are several notable people who later turn out to be raging lunatics, but that doesn't mean you throw their research in the trash - even raging lunatics can be right sometimes, just don't lionize them as individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Silver2195 posted:

Tatsuya Ishida of Sinfest?

Ishida became psychologically and ideologically bizarre in equal measure as he fell into insular, neurotic oldschool radfem TERF worlds. The end product is a weird, paranoid, pointless haze. His product now only occasionally flirts with comprehensibility, even while desperately trying to be a political missive. I took a look at it recently but it's so far gone that it was like he was trying to individually prove horseshoe theory by cracking totally and becoming a gender essentialist reactionary defending mr potato head and dr. seuss from the Woke Mob.