Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I liked my colleagues when I had an office job (well, most of them) and one of the few things I miss about going freelance is the social element of an office. I also think it is useful to have people in the same space some of the time: there is value in the unprompted conversations and discussions that arise. That said, it really doesn’t need to be 5 days a week for most jobs. The flexibility of WFH is great, IF one has the facilities. Going to the office 2-3 times a week would be ideal, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Leggsy posted:

https://twitter.com/HeartScotNews/status/1375447520676089859

The TERFs have only gone and set up their own party.

Seeing people say they are only gonna field candidates on the regional lists, hence the "supermajority" talk, so they may actually get some seats

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When I lived and worked in the city centre, I liked the social aspect of the office. Me and a few others would have afterwork pints once a week.
Now my office is in a business park out of town, there's no pub (everyone drives anyway), and work organised social events are such a chore. I'd be happy to never go back.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

kustomkarkommando posted:

Seeing people say they are only gonna field candidates on the regional lists, hence the "supermajority" talk, so they may actually get some seats

I imagine this is going to have a negative impact on the greens too, since they often pick up list votes from SNP voters. Remains to be seen how big of an impact, though, my impression has always been that the anti-Sturgeon viewpoint within the pro-independence set has always been mostly confined to the venn-diagram intersection of TERFs, full SNP members, and twitter obsessives, and that the pro-independence population at large don't really have time for this sort of infighting. Many of the people talking up this party are going to be the same who at the last election were vehemently #BothVotesSNP, so I'm hopeful that it won't get much traction.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

I know a few of my co-workers want to go back to the office because they miss the... I guess social aspect of it? I don't mean hanging out with friends but literally being in the same room as people you're working with.
These people usually end up in charge of offices and are the most mean spirited cunts in existence when it comes to alternative working arrangements. I've worked in a call centre where this type of person suggested sacking the guy who wore headphones and kept to himself because he wasn't a 'team player.'

Things will absolutely go back to normal, and it'll be because of these small minded shits.

That said I do understand that some people want to go back. I can't imagine how stressful it must be in a tiny flat with kids and pets and also somehow having to get work done. I am very lucky to have a spare room and noise cancelling headphones.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sure some of the empty shops (loads in our town now that will never reopen) could be converted into co-working spaces with good broadband (better than coffee shop), video conferencing facilities, either in-house cafe or menu cards from local cafes to deliver (very common in Cairo to see local cafes delivering to shops, market stalls etc), 'water cooler' spaces and so on.
It's astounding that weWork was such an astronomical failure and collapsed so spectacularly when if they'd managed to hold on a few more years they probably could have actually been a functional business.

MikeCrotch posted:

I think a lot of bosses aren't malicious but if you're a boss who got to where they are because you're a workaholic you just can't understand people who don't want to be in the office.
There is nothing more frustrating than having a boss or manager who earns 50k a year more than you lecture you about how they come in at 8 and leave at 6 and actually give a poo poo about the business, and so should you, the dude barely scraping a living wage with no company car or expense account.

I think the worst was overhearing a senior manager in the canteen say that if someone's just here for the money they should go 'on the dole.' Like how much money do they think the unemployed get?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Leggsy posted:

I hope they get sued by Halifax for that logo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The size of the mans ego.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Reveilled posted:

I imagine this is going to have a negative impact on the greens too, since they often pick up list votes from SNP voters. Remains to be seen how big of an impact, though, my impression has always been that the anti-Sturgeon viewpoint within the pro-independence set has always been mostly confined to the venn-diagram intersection of TERFs, full SNP members, and twitter obsessives, and that the pro-independence population at large don't really have time for this sort of infighting. Many of the people talking up this party are going to be the same who at the last election were vehemently #BothVotesSNP, so I'm hopeful that it won't get much traction.

Considering the last graph I saw had his popularity levels in the toilet, I assume the voters are exclusively the most dedicated of independence TERFs.

So Joanna Cherry

And errr

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just gonna vote for the guy who was not-proven for attempted rape to own the libs.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Raeg posted:

Considering the last graph I saw had his popularity levels in the toilet, I assume the voters are exclusively the most dedicated of independence TERFs.

So Joanna Cherry

And errr

Funnily enough, Joanna Cherry just took an extended leave of absence for unknown reasons. Perhaps she's taking a backseat waiting to see if Alba flops before deciding to make the jump?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I just cannot imagine who this party is for

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Red Oktober posted:

Far and away the most cringe thing about some of the facebook groups I'm in are the men lamenting not being in the office because "have to get my brewing kit / motorbike parts / whatever other hobby delivered home and hid it from the ol' ball and chain :roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao:"

Genuinely one of the most confusing things in my life has been finding out I might well be in the minority as a man in a heterosexual relationship who doesn't exist in a state of weird mutual resentment with my partner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

The size of the mans ego.

He has to make up for the size of his body somehow.

I don't anticipate the Alba Party getting as much as 1% of the vote. I'm not sure enough on how the system works to say for sure, but the main effect is likely to be giving the Tories one more seat from the list.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Jedit posted:

He has to make up for the size of his body somehow.

I don't anticipate the Alba Party getting as much as 1% of the vote. I'm not sure enough on how the system works to say for sure, but the main effect is likely to be giving the Tories one more seat from the list.

I mean him being in the public eye and speaking could just as much drive more voters Green/SNP way.

The charismatic dynamo that is Anas Sarwar could pick up votes!

Truly this is the closest election in Scottish history.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1375435532944150531?s=19

This is Pickles' biscuits all over again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Genuinely one of the most confusing things in my life has been finding out I might well be in the minority as a man in a heterosexual relationship who doesn't exist in a state of weird mutual resentment with my partner.
There was a whole thing ages ago in an episode of TF about BNP guys who were weirdly proud in their twitter bios of things like "love me country, hate the wife, simple as."

Even my Dad who is happily married regularly posts cry-laugh boomer jokes about how husbands all hate their wives. The 70s comedy and lead poisoning really warped the minds of entire generations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am sorta desperate to get back to work, I have been tortured for a year now by neighbours.
Live in apartments, the ones upstairs either have ADHD or exercise at random times, same Bdumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt one way across their floor, then same 8 steps back to the other side. For hours. Could be at 4am, could be at 5pm. And if they are not doing that, they are shouting to their friends outside. We have a door intercom, just below my window I work from, but they rather shout up their own to get attention.
Have a garage two doors down, and don't blame them for the noise as its a business. But sometimes they work on cars until 10pm at night.
But the guy opposite, I know he is lonely but gently caress, he plays the same 10-15 records over and over again, every night from 10pm to 2am. MOST. NIGHTS. SINCE.MARCH.15TH.2020.
Can't noise complain as it just hearable, not loud.

The hum of the fluorescent lights, vending machines, and barely working air con will be a welcome holiday right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Leggsy posted:

I know Alba is intended as in the Gaelic name for Scotland, but between being a Latin plural of white, being Spanish for dawn/sunrise, and BritishAlba already being a (lovely) thing, anyone picking that name for their party is already giving off some fashy vibes to me, and the people who have are involved really aren't helping. Scratch a TERF and a fascist bleeds and probably attempts sex crimes.

ThomasPaine posted:

They all sound as if they're about two minutes away from nervously asking "fellas, is it gay to be married to a woman?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

the ones upstairs either have ADHD or exercise at random times, same Bdumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt-dumpt one way across their floor, then same 8 steps back to the other side. For hours. Could be at 4am, could be at 5pm.

Zookeeper, zookeeper, those two monkeys are killing each other!

ThomasPaine posted:

agreed, I have nothing intelligent to add except it all seems to be wrapped up in toxic petromasculinity in ways that I'm kinda glad I don't understand

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

It's so bizarre. If you hate your wife so much, why are you married to them.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Raeg posted:

So Joanna Cherry

And errr

Joan McAlpine. That's it really

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

You've got to have a wife, kids, house and car to be considered proper. It doesn't matter if you don't actually want any of those things.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

All I want from the 2021 Holyrood election is for SNP voters to finally understand that in a world where the SNP are winning 6 or more seats in a region on the constituency, both votes SNP is a loving waste. It's only a sensible tactic if you live in the South of Scotland. In 2016 the Nats got 953,587 votes for 4 MSPs on the list, while the Tories got 524,222 for 24 MSPs. If even a quarter of the SNP voters in places like Glasgow, Central Scotland, NE Scotland and Mid Scotland & Fife went Green or RISE there would be an even clearer pro indy majority & fewer Tory MSPs.

But seemingly this is too complex for people to understand? I don't get it. The math on how the MSPs are picked per region is opaque but it doesn't mean you can't make general assumptions about how to vote smartly.

Guavanaut posted:

I know Alba is intended as in the Gaelic name for Scotland, but between being a Latin plural of white, being Spanish for dawn/sunrise, and BritishAlba already being a (lovely) thing, anyone picking that name for their party is already giving off some fashy vibes to me, and the people who have are involved really aren't helping. Scratch a TERF and a fascist bleeds and probably attempts sex crimes.

They all sound as if they're about two minutes away from nervously asking "fellas, is it gay to be married to a woman?"

This is a hell of a take. Alba is just a...I don't want to say it's an every day word because 8 people speak Gaelic natively but it's a normal word that has a specific meaning in Scotland. People who don't know 10 words of Gaelic will utter "Alba gu bràth". An entire BBC TV channel called BBC Alba that people who don't speak Gaelic watch because it shows "as live" Premiership football games with Gaelic commentary. There's nothing sus about the name, it's a pretty normal choice for a Scottish nationalist party, the problem is entirely the people behind it & their motivations, the name is utterly fine.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 26, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

There's a hell of a lot that's dumb and hosed up about Salmond's latest vanity project but even so, this is a hell of a take. The literal native language name of Scotland is fash?
Can't believe BBC Alba exists, just broadcasting fascism all day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

happyhippy posted:

I need Noise cancelling headphones

The Sony ones are fantastic

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Red Oktober posted:

Familiarity breeds contempt. The good fades, the bad is remembered. All the little and big annoyances stack up. What you felt then is no longer there. And yet neither wants to leave due to embarrassment or family issues or social hatred of break ups.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

All I want from the 2021 Holyrood election is for SNP voters to finally understand that in a world where the SNP are winning 6 or more seats in a region on the constituency, both votes SNP is a loving waste. It's only a sensible tactic if you live in the South of Scotland. In 2016 the Nats got 953,587 votes for 4 MSPs on the list, while the Tories got 524,222 for 24 MSPs. If even a quarter of the SNP voters in places like Glasgow, Central Scotland, NE Scotland and Mid Scotland & Fife went Green or RISE there would be an even clearer pro indy majority & fewer Tory MSPs.

But seemingly this is too complex for people to understand? I don't get it. The math on how the MSPs are picked per region is opaque but it doesn't mean you can't make general assumptions about how to vote smartly.

SNP's "both votes SNP" campaign doesn't help

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

bitterandtwisted posted:

There's a hell of a lot that's dumb and hosed up about Salmond's latest vanity project but even so, this is a hell of a take. The literal native language name of Scotland is fash?
Can't believe BBC Alba exists, just broadcasting fascism all day.

Wait till he finds out that the SNP logo is an Odal rune...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Raeg posted:

SNP's "both votes SNP" campaign doesn't help

Yes, & I saw recently that The National has been pushing it too. They are loving idiots.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah but on the other hand if you split up who's going to cook your tea and look after the kids when you're down the pub

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So my Dad is encouraging me to go on the dole until I can find work

tbh I don't particularly want to b/c I'm all too aware thanks to this thread of how dehumanising and intrusive Universal Credit can be, but on the other hand it's an extra £700, so idk if I should go ahead with it or not

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Venomous posted:

tbh I don't particularly want to b/c I'm all too aware thanks to this thread of how dehumanising and intrusive Universal Credit can be, but on the other hand it's an extra £700, so idk if I should go ahead with it or not

They're not checking up on people at all atm because of the pandemic

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i thought you were in germany? i mean poo poo apply and stuff, worst case scenario you're back right here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Venomous posted:

It’s your chuffing money, if you don’t claim it’s just going to subside Tory MP dinners. Plus you are missing out on NI contributions and every week you don’t claim is a week you don’t get your pension later.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

^^this is a fair point^^

CoolCab posted:

i thought you were in germany? i mean poo poo apply and stuff, worst case scenario you're back right here.

yeah, I moved back in December b/c I ran out of money, I've been burned out of my postgrad, and my overall mental health has become considerably shittier in the past year lmao

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Bristol gearing up for Round 3 of protestors vs police :laugh:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

UC right now is as manageable as it’s ever going to be, should amount to a 5 minute phone call every other week and writing a sentence in an online journal every few days

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Blasmeister posted:

UC right now is as manageable as it’s ever going to be, should amount to a 5 minute phone call every other week and writing a sentence in an online journal every few days

Do they accept SA posts?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

:same:

It seems (from examples from my own family and social circle, granted) to be one of the few things where there is a genuine generational divide of social values.

My parents (both baby boomers) separated and remarried, and my Dad is actually, genuinely happy with his new wife, but keeps up a steady drip-feed of 70s-sitcom style jokes about how why did he ever get married a second time having 'escaped' once, and joking about how all his hobbies involve spending time either in the workshop or going out of the house 'to get away from The Wife'.

I really want to tell him that it is actually OK to appear happy with the person you have (apparently) chosen to spend the rest of your life with. You don't have to do a bunch of ironic henpecked husband gags. But apparently you do.

My partner's parents are also separated and her mum is in a long term relationship with the platonic ideal of a gammon-y Boomer bloke, who will basically continually neg her if there is anyone else in hearing distance and say things like 'get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich so I can go fishing and get some peace and quiet', and not entirely as a 'joke'.

Meanwhile my Gen-Y siblings, step-siblings, friends etc. have a much lower rate of actually getting married or being in long term/cohabiting relationships but the ones that are clearly, y'know, like and respect the people they're with and don't feel the need to perform like they're in a Honeymooners episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's astounding that weWork was such an astronomical failure and collapsed so spectacularly when if they'd managed to hold on a few more years they probably could have actually been a functional business.

lol, how

they were making massive losses every day from day 1