Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can't believe Baalorlord has turned to the dark side of Jorbs-tier youtube thumbnail pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PP also doesn't benefit from stance bonuses, which is kind of watcher's thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've had fun intentionally going for PP gimmick builds but it isn't something I'd pick normally. The gimmick builds are really fun though.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I give up.

I've played a zillion different IC20 runs, and I still have no idea when to pick up Juggernaut. WTF should I be synergizing with it other than FNP? What should my deck be doing such that Juggernaut actually loving kills things?

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Maybe dont bother picking up juggernaut at all.. ironclad def has a handful of cards that are just bleh

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Juggernaut to me is one of those fun cards that nonetheless isn't very good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I give up.

I've played a zillion different IC20 runs, and I still have no idea when to pick up Juggernaut. WTF should I be synergizing with it other than FNP? What should my deck be doing such that Juggernaut actually loving kills things?

Juggernaut really just isn't a very good card. It's fun for gimmick runs but that's about it. It's very much built for long fights which you should be avoiding at all costs at higher ascension.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So it's a yellow clash. Good to know.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I give up.

I pick it up when I get a few pieces of a Corruption combo. Like if I have Corruption and dark embrace (I'm not gonna say corruption + dead branch, because that wins no matter what you do). Because I need to end the fight before I run out of skills, dealing damage every time I exhaust a card (and extra damage if I have FNP) really helps beat the clock.

One thing Baalorlord does that I really like is review the previous run before starting on a new one. So if I wanted to figure out, say, Juggernaut, I pull open an A20 video then go to whenever he is Silent. He'll start by looking at his run history for the previous run which is always IC. If I see Juggernaut in his deck I rewind and watch the whole run.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 21, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mymla posted:

Can't believe Baalorlord has turned to the dark side of Jorbs-tier youtube thumbnail pictures.

"Gone to"? Everyone's always thought they're terrible.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Jedit posted:

"Gone to"? Everyone's always thought they're terrible.

He hasn't had a youtube channel for very long unless there's one I don't know about.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mymla posted:

He hasn't had a youtube channel for very long unless there's one I don't know about.

He's had one for archiving full streams for a while, but without any of the thumbnails.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anyone tried Neurodeck?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I've poked at it a little, but not enough to give a solid thumbs-up/down. It feels more mechanically engaging than Griftlands did at least, but the visuals and theming are so low impact that I have trouble staying into it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anyone tried Neurodeck?

I took one look and noped the hell out of there. "Slay the Spire, but with an edgy mental health theme!" is not something I want to play or support.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is Lock-on any good? It seems useful but at the same time why not just go for more focus?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is Lock-on any good? It seems useful but at the same time why not just go for more focus?

It's significantly more useful in a Dark build, so it's not really all that useful.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's fine. There are decks that can use it but most won't need it after act 2. It's just there to bridge that gap.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's a early act 1 Strike+ equivalent to help kill hallways and elites, and might be a little useful later on.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I took one look and noped the hell out of there. "Slay the Spire, but with an edgy mental health theme!" is not something I want to play or support.

fwiw "edgy" is the exact opposite of how I'd describe the actual game's presentation. It might get worse with later unlockables or something, but so far it's all benign "get some fresh air to help beat up your fear of spiders".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There might be situations where you pick Lock On to beat act 1 elites but they're fairly rare. Defect already has pretty stellar attacks (Ball Lightning, Cold Snap, Compile Driver) at common.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It's vulnerable but for orbs, I've always thought it was a fine pick for decks with lots of lightning or dark.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I agree that it's best in dark orb decks. I also usually take it in Hexaghost act 1s, since that fight is such a damage race. It's not the best source of damage scaling a lot of the time, but it definitely increases the damage output of the starting deck. :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I don't know that Juggernaut is a game winning card, but it works well if you have relics and powers that give you block passively, like metallicize or Feel No Pain. Also works ok if you have a Barricade/Calipers deck that only wants to block, or a Corruption engine where you're playing a bunch of block cards every turn. Also makes Iron Wave less of a bad pick.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

I don't know that Juggernaut is a game winning card, but it works well if you have relics and powers that give you block passively, like metallicize or Feel No Pain. Also works ok if you have a Barricade/Calipers deck that only wants to block, or a Corruption engine where you're playing a bunch of block cards every turn. Also makes Iron Wave less of a bad pick.

I suck at this game, but I feel like the way to make Juggernaut work is with Rage plus a shitload of cheap attacks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's very good with Feel No Pain which tends to be the best strategy for Ironclad anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

feel no pain is just good

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i can answer the second half of your question with "because the game never gives me focus increasing cards and like 70% of my defect decks are physical decks i dont want to play"

i am sure there are plenty of people out there who love to force physical decks who would appreciate my curse

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm skipping 1,110~ish posts to say GOD drat Downfall is so good. I just got the update and its unbelievable its just a mod. The Champ is so fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you get the watcher as boss 1 just restart your run imo

all the bosses are good, and even snecko is moderately fun

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Starting over with the mobile version, and already I've gone infinite with Watcher, 2 upgraded Rushdowns, a Tantrum and Fear No Evil!

also gotten to live the dream of the Shiv deck with Shuriken, with Riddle with Holes as a finisher at like, ascension 7. Been a while since I've done that.

game is very good still.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
My buddy was kind enough to add the Android version to our shared library. My productivity is going to drop by 1,000%

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

At this point, I'm just guessing the Switch will never get the update. :smith:

Hesitant to add this to my phone and become completely unproductive. Maybe I should just give in and get it on Steam.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Chaotic Flame posted:

At this point, I'm just guessing the Switch will never get the update. :smith:

Hesitant to add this to my phone and become completely unproductive. Maybe I should just give in and get it on Steam.

Steam version has mods. Get it on Steam. There's both nice general QoL stuff, and gameplay mods, such as Downfall, which owns.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Apparently you can win by just exhuming apparitions.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

if you get the watcher as boss 1 just restart your run imo

all the bosses are good, and even snecko is moderately fun

I've played several games since this post and I still haven't fought watcher act 1. What's so egregious about her?

All the hero bosses have been extremely clever and full of flavor for their player controlled counterparts.

Gone back to hexaghost for climbing ascension, the champ makes my games take a long time despite how much of a hoot it is

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Apparently you can win by just exhuming apparitions.

those relics though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Deckit posted:

I've played several games since this post and I still haven't fought watcher act 1. What's so egregious about her?

All the hero bosses have been extremely clever and full of flavor for their player controlled counterparts.

Gone back to hexaghost for climbing ascension, the champ makes my games take a long time despite how much of a hoot it is

watcher act 1 is just a shitload of block and damage every single turn starting from round 3. if you have a heartkilling deck you can take her out; if you don't, you can't.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Finally trying Downfall and Hexaghost is some big brain poo poo :stare:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I'm sure there's something dumb broken you can do with some of the Hexakit, but I keep looking at soulburn as just slightly higher delayed damage cards? Whole lot of their kit is dedicated to that where say, the Silent poison is a bit more varied. One aspect I learned about too late is igniting the final ghostflame gives you the soulflame buff so all the activations are slightly better. Even if it isn't being triggered with a buncha fires lit it can be useful.

Does feel like the active soulflame movement cards are the strongest options generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If you have a good amount of Soulburn in your deck get Living Bomb and upgrade it ASA-fuckin-P

At least, I'm guessing this'll be good, this run hasn't ended either way yet

EDIT: I guess you don't have to upgrade it but it would probably be nice in case you don't get enough soulburn banked up on one enemy before it goes off