Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I think I might actually like BD2’s soundtrack more than BD1’s. Unambiguous improvement there.

Bravely Second had a great soundtrack too, it was just a different kind of soundtrack. I don’t really understand the hate for it, I like basically all the BD music.

Unpopular opinion: BD2’s Asterisk music > BD1’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The music is one of the things about BD2 which is unambiguously great across the board. Even where it's kinda generic it's charming and fits the mood.

Shame that the blandest player character gets to have the coolest special attack theme. And also that the second battle theme isn't as good as the first one, imo.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Pollyanna posted:

Feeling a bit underpowered - I get my rear end kicked pretty easily by trash mobs in the Mag Melle dungeon. Any adjustments I can make?

If you wanna feel overpowered, make someone a Phantom/Salve-Maker. The second ability for Phantom makes your status attacks have 100% accuracy. Anything not immune to paralysis can be completely locked down. It totally invalidates most things in the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finishing up the game, and it’s finally doing something interesting. :siren:Super, super loving huge ending spoilers::siren: I just finished translating the book, and now there’s a really creepy and weird-looking save file option in the save menu. Hell yeah, this is the good poo poo. :getin: I’m gonna try loading it and seeing what happens.

Edit: Aw, you can’t load it. You can save to it, though, and that’s still legit cool - advancing the plot and unlocking the next chapter by interacting with the save menu in an unusual fashion is a great example of being weird and providing potential for mystery and discovery that’s essential to making Bravely Default work. Hopefully it keeps this up, but I’m still sad that it took 70 hours for the first instance of it to happen. :(

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 26, 2021

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Pollyanna posted:

Finishing up the game, and it’s finally doing something interesting. :siren:Super, super loving huge ending spoilers::siren: I just finished translating the book, and now there’s a really creepy and weird-looking save file option in the save menu. Hell yeah, this is the good poo poo. :getin: I’m gonna try loading it and seeing what happens.

Edit: Aw, you can’t load it. You can save to it, though, and that’s still legit cool - advancing the plot and unlocking the next chapter by interacting with the save menu in an unusual fashion is a great example of being weird and providing potential for mystery and discovery that’s essential to making Bravely Default work. Hopefully it keeps this up, but I’m still sad that it took 70 hours for the first instance of it to happen. :(

you can actually translate the save file itself as well using the letters you've obtained from the Asterisks, and it shows who was in the save file

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^ Bwahahah yeah I was gonna say, I wonder what the cipher to the save info is. Nice little Easter egg.

Pollyanna posted:

It's unfortunate when an enemy has a counter but it's never lost the battle for me.

This post did not age well, by the way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Counters can also be intercepted by a Shieldmaster unless it's explicitly "Reflect Physical Damage". :v:

Y'all really gotta get on the cover scam train.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Water Crystal: "There's only one way you're getting the water crystal, and that's from prising it from my cold, dead, hands!"

(just conveniently their "character ready" voice clip plays)
Adelle: "All right then!"

:laffo:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

all my character have Counter-savvy and have since it was available. Doesn’t stop enemies from getting free BP or using magic counters but still very helpful

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Excuse me, I can't pick up an item from a chest if I have 99 of that item? gently caress off with this antique gameplay poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pop quiz, everyone: what stat affects the chance of inflicting status ailments? :eng101:

Kyrosiris posted:

Counters can also be intercepted by a Shieldmaster unless it's explicitly "Reflect Physical Damage". :v:

Y'all really gotta get on the cover scam train.

It doesn’t have to be an offensive counter to gently caress you over. There are bosses who counter physical damage by gaining BP. :negative:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Excuse me, I can't pick up an item from a chest if I have 99 of that item? gently caress off with this antique gameplay poo poo

On the one hand, arbitrary limitations for the sake of perpetuating old video game poo poo is annoying. On the other, when are you ever going to need more than 99 of any item?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ugh, yes, and you can't use the item if you don't actually need to.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

Pop quiz, everyone: what stat affects the chance of inflicting status ailments? :eng101:

I was going to say "luck" because of that Freelancer skill, but, uh, Luck isn't actually a stat. Aim? No, I bet it's going to be Res Power or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

On the one hand, arbitrary limitations for the sake of perpetuating old video game poo poo is annoying. On the other, when are you ever going to need more than 99 of any item?

I would like them to make the rewards for chests unique, and reusable.

Congrats, you found the Phoenix Feather, you can just res whenever you want (no changes other than it's re-usable, so it doesn't replace other, better, abilities)

Or maybe with a cooldown timer? (I don't like cooldown timers that much)

Hell, make an rpg with job systems but the only money you spend is on buying new absurd outfits and you build a house in the countryside you can decorate and plant things and undergo Rocky style training montages and maybe once, as part of the story, you have to defend your house from the Big Bad who wanted to ruin your house, but you defend it and everyone kind of leaves you alone to save the world after that.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It's magical attack (and level, if you count that as a stat), per a loading screen :v: (It doesn't scale nearly enough :colbert: I legit feel like Phantom Specialty 2 is the only way to reliably inflict status ailments. It's why I didn't actively bother with Daub even though Daub is really good (well and I'd only be using Pictomancer for one skill).)

Also n'thing Shieldmaster Cover-based parties being godly. Only thing that really fucks you up is fixed/defense-piercing damage because some of the portal bosses are sacks of poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LiefKatano posted:

It's magical attack (and level, if you count that as a stat)

Ding ding ding!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, I’m at the end of the game, and you know what I just realized? You never get an airship. :saddowns:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Can't say I'm surprised, considering both the game takes place on one continent (and there's also the wagon travel system anyways) and the one airship that exists in this setting uses the Wind Crystal as its power source, which isn't exactly something our party is willing to replicate. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

It doesn’t have to be an offensive counter to gently caress you over. There are bosses who counter physical damage by gaining BP. :negative:

Oh no, they're going to hit Gloria again for double-digit damage into her 9999 HP, how terrifying. :geno:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LiefKatano posted:

Can't say I'm surprised, considering both the game takes place on one continent (and there's also the wagon travel system anyways) and the one airship that exists in this setting uses the Wind Crystal as its power source, which isn't exactly something our party is willing to replicate. :v:

Boy does it make mopping up these super bosses annoying as gently caress tho.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh no, they're going to hit Gloria again for double-digit damage into her 9999 HP, how terrifying. :geno:

:laffo: As if my Gloria isn’t a glass cannon, even with the second Freelancer passive.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: As if my Gloria isn’t a glass cannon, even with the second Freelancer passive.

Shieldmaster/Vanguard, Dual Shields/No Guts, No Glory/Fast Hands/Revenge/Sub-Job BP Saver.

Give her the two fattest shields you own (Moonbeam and Iceflame is a great combo until dual Hero's Shields) and the biggest defense armor/helm/accessories you've got.

Every time she covers someone else, she gets 1 BP (per person covered) and No Guts, No Glory is a huge defense spike at 3 BP. BP Saver makes Gift of Courage free, so she can go 3->1 to take someone from -3 to 0 and still be at a defensive boost, which only gets better the more she blocks.

The only real thing that threatens this build is fixed damage attacks (lategame spoilers) like the Salve-Maker or Bravebearer asterisk refights.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Equip her with a staff with indiscriminate rage instead of dual shields and have her attack her allies for evasion BP boosting if you want as well. Her accuracy will be in the toilet because of all the plate she's wearing.

It's dumb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Gloria’s on GS duty, is why I said that. That SHM/VGD setup is what I currently have on Seth, too.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 26, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Equip her with a staff with indiscriminate rage instead of dual shields and have her attack her allies for evasion BP boosting if you want as well. Her accuracy will be in the toilet because of all the plate she's wearing.

It's dumb.

Not sure why I'd give up +2 fire/ice/light/dark resist and a bunch of passives on everyone to do that.

I tried it after the video you posted, it was way less effective than just being an immovable brick wall and feeding my single damage dealer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aight, looks like I need half the thief tree equipped to make stealing bearable. Gonna save stealing until later I think.

does the chapter 1 boss drop good items, or skip them and I can buy them later?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

Also, I’m at the end of the game, and you know what I just realized? You never get an airship. :saddowns:

You get to crash one though, that was sweet

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

Not sure why I'd give up +2 fire/ice/light/dark resist and a bunch of passives on everyone to do that.

I tried it after the video you posted, it was way less effective than just being an immovable brick wall and feeding my single damage dealer.

:shrug:

4 characters with unlimited BP is something the game can't cope with. You can use it to generate unlimited turns or in the shieldmaster wall case buff your shieldmaster to 200% defense in a single turn. Or to buff your damage dealer to 200% Attack Stat / 200% Physical damage up.

Broadly I struggle to see a situation where 4 characters with unlimited BP can't compensate for the loss of a single shield.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endgame spoilers: holy gently caress, the Phantom in the portal refight is some incredible bullshit. Stupid high evasion, charges BP when it takes damage, access to rest party wipe combos, and is impossible to actually land a status ailment on. I’m getting 9999s a bunch from them after they 4x Brave. I tried spamming GS out the gate but the evasion and BP charge means they kick my rear end anyway. How the gently caress do you deal with this rear end in a top hat?

And yes, I’m using Phantom/Salvemaker and Shieldmaster/Vanguard.

Edit: hah, complaining in the internet works. Finally landed a paralyze.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 26, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

The Berserker passive that makes all physical attacks connect works with Concoctions, and paralysis disables evasion so your other meatheads can wreck them.

Again, incredibly boring way to deal with it, but if it works...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

LiefKatano posted:

The Berserker passive that makes all physical attacks connect works with Concoctions, and paralysis disables evasion so your other meatheads can wreck them.

Again, incredibly boring way to deal with it, but if it works...

Didn’t occur to me that those were considered physical attacks. Then again, a lot of skill descriptions aren’t specific/clear enough...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pollyanna posted:

I still think it's loving hilarious that they just straight up ripped off Harry Potter though.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Shame that the blandest player character gets to have the coolest special attack theme. And also that the second battle theme isn't as good as the first one, imo.

Elvis is the best character and has the best theme though???

And yeah, the second battle theme sucks and I wish it gave you the option to change it back to the first one.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 27, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What exactly is the Growth Egg multiplier on JP?

Not sure how the math works out when you’re using it with the JP abilities. Using medium orbs as an example, according to the game:

150 JP orb * both JP abilities (1.7) * no Growth Eggs = 255 JP (which makes sense)

150 JP orb * both JP abilities (1.7) * one Growth Egg (?) = 405 JP (GE = 1.59?)

150 JP orb * both JP abilities (1.7) * two Growth Eggs = 555 JP (2GE = 2.18?????)

and for the life of me I have no idea how it’s getting these numbers. According to the description, Growth Eggs double JP gain, but apparently not?

Have I just become bad at math? :psyduck:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Based on those numbers, they stack additively, not multiplicatively, so it's 170%+100%, not 170%*2.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, it's just like the JP Up passives.

+20% JP, +50% JP, +100% JP, +100% JP = +270% JP (for a final multiplier of 3.7x)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lol, so if you break the storyline in New Game+ by defeating Adam in the scripted prologue battle (or I guess if you're insane enough to powerlevel enough to beat him on your first playthrough), Edna basically pops up and says "I'm taking my night's nexus and going home" and the game ends and tells you that you have to lose if you want to go any further.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ah, got it. The assumption when you work with decimal values is that it’s multiplicative, %s are different.

What stat determines # of hits per attack? I wanted to make a Swordmaster that does damage via regular attacks + Solid Stance, but I can’t seem to get that number any higher than 15.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The string section in the second battle theme needs to chill the gently caress out, that poo poo is way too stressful when I accidentally bump into a goblin or something.

I am missing one or two cards and at this point I’m just going to look up their locations because this is dumb. I came up with some fun strategies though, and the last few cards you can get are extremely good.

Edit: welp, all three cards I’m missing are held by Martha so I guess I know where I’m going next.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 27, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This final dungeon was designed by the laziest D&D Dungeon Master ever.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The string section in the second battle theme needs to chill the gently caress out, that poo poo is way too stressful when I accidentally bump into a goblin or something.

I wasn’t really paying attention when I first got the theme, and it scared the absolute poo poo out of me. :gonk: I thought the game had crashed and sent me to a kill screen Macintosh-Chimes-of-Death-style. Hilarious in hindsight, but it gave me a heart attack at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finally finished the game. tl;dr: Just go replay Bravely Default 1 instead.

—-

Uh, woof. As a big fan of the first two games, this one was disappointing for a whole host of reasons.

This game wasn’t made by the same people, and boy does it show. Nothing that made the first game great, or even the second one, is present. The story has no imagination or creativity, the mechanics are rough and poorly balanced, the world/dungeon design is blatantly unfinished, there are no hooks to keep you interested, there are no true oh-poo poo or what-the-gently caress moments, there is zero sense of mystery or wonder, and the awesome-per-second is pitifully low.

By the time I got to the final boss, I was mashing A to just get the drat thing over with. There’s a New Game+, and for the first time ever, I’m not going to do a New Game+ run.

If we got this game as the first entry instead of BD1, there wouldn’t have been any sequels. Even now, I’m willing to bet there will never be a Bravely Default 3. And if there is, I ain’t buying it.

At least the music is good. :smith: