Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frost mead cancels freezing while wet in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Unironically staying full of my best food while doing busy work. Cause I can and it keeps numbers from go bad.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

There is nothing like getting killed somewhere far from home next to your boat, only to respawn naked in your plains base and get immediately killed by a deathquito. I swear they only come in my plains base when I've respawned.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just had what I presume is an unconventional Moder fight. I'd found the summoning place and it had a less-ruined-then-normal stone fort not too far away so I cleared that out, repaired it, turned it into a mini base with a portal in it. We go to summon Moder and fight until it's on 3/4 HP but at that point it starts to completely ignore us and only cares about destroying the fort - sits there hitting it until it's almost entirely gone! So we could just keep firing arrows without any aggro.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I just had what I presume is an unconventional Moder fight. I'd found the summoning place and it had a less-ruined-then-normal stone fort not too far away so I cleared that out, repaired it, turned it into a mini base with a portal in it. We go to summon Moder and fight until it's on 3/4 HP but at that point it starts to completely ignore us and only cares about destroying the fort - sits there hitting it until it's almost entirely gone! So we could just keep firing arrows without any aggro.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

wish I could say the same

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Another :wtc: build from reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/md1sel

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Am I crazy or is the Eikthyr power clearly the best of them by far? Bonemass on paper seems great, but combat death comes so quickly that it usually isn't relevant. Its a mosquito catching you with low food or a random fuling swing on your back by surprise. Maybe for a boss fight I'd prime that, but it isn't practical for regular adventuring. The Elder power is idiotic and pointless. Eikthyr power is always relevant and always useful.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

litany of gulps posted:

Am I crazy or is the Eikthyr power clearly the best of them by far? Bonemass on paper seems great, but combat death comes so quickly that it usually isn't relevant. Its a mosquito catching you with low food or a random fuling swing on your back by surprise. Maybe for a boss fight I'd prime that, but it isn't practical for regular adventuring. The Elder power is idiotic and pointless. Eikthyr power is always relevant and always useful.

the elder power is actually good though? you should have a portal in your hub going back to the standing stones so you can swap it on whenever you are cutting down a bunch of trees, especially if you have a buddy with you who can benefit or you can chain them together.

edit: but yeah it is eikthyr 90% of the time

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

punishedkissinger posted:

the elder power is actually good though? you should have a portal in your hub going back to the standing stones so you can swap it on whenever you are cutting down a bunch of trees, especially if you have a buddy with you who can benefit or you can chain them together.

edit: but yeah it is eikthyr 90% of the time

I guess I do most of my forest clearing in small bits, so I never really feel a need to pop a power and do some massive thing. I can down and break trees in a couple of swings with no power and get 150-200 wood in just a couple of minutes, which typically is sufficient for building a roof or making coal or whatever random thing I need wood for. I have a base at the standing stones, but I've never felt the need to go get the Elder power.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Eiks is certainly useful more of the time, but moder's is more game changing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

litany of gulps posted:

Nah Eik is def the best one. Usually the genuinely scary combat situations are usually the ones where I've tried to book it (either in or out) and gotten surprised by a fight low on stamina (which brings me to my other point, potions rule). Moder is good for when you're really going on long voyages though.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Eik is my default. We have a Stones portal in our hub, so I’ll pop in there to grab Moder/Elder if I know I’m bout to need it, but I default back to Eik after. Bonemass I’ll take either as a panic button for when I’m sneaking, or to fight particular baddies (hello starred berserker).

My friends and I would do LOCUST BOAT where you take a longboat to an island you don’t care about, pop Eik and Elder, and then just fuckin devour the forest. Then you go home and stack it all up and you have wood for days.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Bomemass shines on plains- Its the one biome where the heaviest damage enemy attacks are physical damage. I always swap to bonemass when doing plains stuff.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

litany of gulps posted:

Elder is crazy good. If you ever plan to do any medium or large scale building, you will need enough wood at one time that the most efficient way to get it is to grow like 200 beech trees, pop elder, and mow then down.

Moder is also very good, especially when you have a few people with it active and can get 75% or 100% uptime on it, which makes it very easy to scoot around in a longship.

Gazaar posted:

Unironically staying full of my best food while doing busy work. Cause I can and it keeps numbers from go bad.

I’ll go 2/3 “good food” in these scenarios, which normally works out to turnip stew, bread, and honey. If I’m in combat or doing anything that requires a bunch of running around, I’ll swap the honey out for a lox pie/fish wraps. I’ve found this to be a pretty maintainable food rotation - honey and bread are basically free, turnip stew is easier than having to farm thistle/entrails for sausage or mushrooms for carrot soup, and lox pie/fish wraps are basically 1 ingredient dishes for huge stats.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 26, 2021

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Did you use stone floors for fires/kilns/smelters or will wood hold them?

Other people answered this but yeah, you gotta attach the stone to one of the non-cut-down-able trees. Anything attached directly to the tree counts as scenery. I even ran supports diagonally to my further out base pieces to keep it clean and in the tree with no giant pillars sticking out of the ground. Living in the swamp kinda sucks tho. No wind for windmills, always wet unless you're inside. Blobs are assholes. Gotta level the hell out of the area around your house to avoid constant leech spawns. Gotta not level at least one place so you have a constant supply of bloodbags from constant leech spawns. I did it just to see if I could do it. Next base will be on one of those Plains rock spires.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Gazaar posted:

The top tier foods last for forty minutes apiece. I don't even understand an economy where you don't produce at least three of each good food for every two hours of play.

This "I'm around base without eating" poo poo is mystifying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Bonemass is great for when you are trying to break into the plains and want to deal with large fuling groups without worry of dying in 2 hits.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm modding in some meshes and textures and have run into a problem. Do any of you guys have a good understanding of the different texture formats and how they interact? I am having trouble reconciling the texture types used by modelers and the 3 types that are obvious for Valheim

Valheim seems to have BumpMap, MainTex, and MetallicGloss, but so many 3d models have AO, Albedo, Normal, and Roughness

I haven't figured out how to take those 4 types and make them conform to Valheim's naming schema.
Did you figure it out? Maybe this will help: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/48

Woden
May 6, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

The top tier foods last for forty minutes apiece. I don't even understand an economy where you don't produce at least three of each good food for every two hours of play.

This "I'm around base without eating" poo poo is mystifying.

Throughout most of the game the best foods you can eat require effort to farm, have a dual use in meads and don't last very long.

At endgame sure, lox meat/flour/cloudberries are easy to get in fat stacks and when cooked up will last a long time but before then you'll have to go on dedicated food runs.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Cooked meat gives you 20 minutes per piece.

Turnip stew and Sausages are a bit better at 26 minutes.

Turnip stew is like... 9 turnips and 3 meat every hour.

We have a field of 20 seed turnips and 60 turnips for the three of us and it kept us all in food for the entire time we played. I don't think any of us ever just chilled out hungry.

Ingredients and food never go bad, so the only way I could see not just having infinite food is if you don't have a good cooking setup where you can dump the ingredients. I honestly think organized storage is the biggest key to improving gameplay.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Untrustable posted:

Next base will be on one of those Plains rock spires.

Do it. It's awesome.

It's good to be king.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Do it. It's awesome.

It's good to be king.

That is dope as gently caress and totally what I'm gonna do next. Did you do this with debug? I'm not using debug and I'm seeing a lot of falling deaths in my future.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Untrustable posted:

That is dope as gently caress and totally what I'm gonna do next. Did you do this with debug? I'm not using debug and I'm seeing a lot of falling deaths in my future.

Nope. I've never used the console/mods and it's all legit couple of falling deaths from stupidity, though.

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Nope. I've never used the console/mods and it's all legit couple of falling deaths from stupidity, though.
how often do the deathsquitos fly in?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Untrustable posted:

I will (I know I'm basically a broken record at this point, but eh) suggest that if people want to engage in complex elevated builds (or underwater builds) - get the mod that lets you manually cycle through snap points using the ctrl and alt keys. It makes things SO much more pleasant. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

It does not actually prevent falling deaths, I still fall to my death constantly, but I'm a lot less frustrated about it now! :v:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

I will (I know I'm basically a broken record at this point, but eh) suggest that if people want to engage in complex elevated builds (or underwater builds) - get the mod that lets you manually cycle through snap points using the ctrl and alt keys. It makes things SO much more pleasant. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

It does not actually prevent falling deaths, I still fall to my death constantly, but I'm a lot less frustrated about it now! :v:

Definitely checking this out! Thanks!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Perhaps most importantly, it lets you properly position and bury your support beams when putting a house on stilts so it looks right.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

Did you figure it out? Maybe this will help: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/48

This is the mod that enables the texture folder structure to place / override existing ones but unfortunately, no one seems to be able to definitively explain the full list of texture file types. For example, I overrode the existing needle mace mesh with a more basic looking spiked mace model, and added new textures, but there is still a weird teal glow on some of the mesh parts. Haven't found anyone that knows where that's coming from and how to disable, delete, or override it.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Krul posted:

how often do the deathsquitos fly in?

Never. It's high enough that it's out of their sight radius even if they did spawn at the bottom. Lox and fulings will happily spawn in the area around the base of the stone pillar, though. I ended up having to rebuild part of the stairway once when a bunch of dipshit lox spawned on the ground at the bottom and decided to do their aoe smash which broke part of it when I was coming down once. Yeah, those fuckers got eaten.

Edit: also, fulings can't comprehend stairs or something, so once your on the stairway they just mill around at the bottom like idiots.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

this revolutiionized my building, it's so loving good.

i'm planning on having a separate valheim building profile on my mouse so i can become a master viking architect :toot:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The mod-maker has also promised to add a key in the next version to allow you to rotate/flip things vertically. Ever wanted diagonal corewood beams or flat doors to use as a drawbridge? Soon you'll be able to!

Although I guess it starts getting a bit more "cheaty" at that point, I still want it so bad. Gonna build a regular house with an upside down house on top :V

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a mod to turn off the draugr bow glow? It makes sniping difficult

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

The mod-maker has also promised to add a key in the next version to allow you to rotate/flip things vertically. Ever wanted diagonal corewood beams or flat doors to use as a drawbridge? Soon you'll be able to!

Although I guess it starts getting a bit more "cheaty" at that point, I still want it so bad. Gonna build a regular house with an upside down house on top :V

holy poo poo this sounds awesome! i don't really see these building mods as "cheating" really, but then again i could not care less what anyone else thinks about how i'm playing the game. i had a passing thought last night while collecting iron from My island, which was like "well it's going to take me at least an hour to sail completely to the other side of my island to bring this iron back, i could just install the transport ore through portals mod real quick... no gently caress that, i want the satisfaction of the journey!" i'm still debating just modding in a bunch of stone so i can actually get a start to my base building, but after realizing(thanks someone upthread) that bonemass is a great ability for dealing with fulings... i think i wanna give that a try! three to four fulings is about my upper limit to take them down without getting into heartrate raising levels, wanna see what i can do with bonemass.

but that journey made me realize, gently caress, i should've scope out the crypt situation before deciding on this island. there's like... 4, and they're literally the farthest from my base possible :negative:

Heffer posted:

Is there a mod to turn off the draugr bow glow? It makes sniping difficult

if you find one please drop it here, this would be huge :pray:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If you are going to build on one of those plains stone spires, just make sure that you are not doing it anywhere close to where the 5th boss spawns.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

joepinetree posted:

If you are going to build on one of those plains stone spires, just make sure that you are not doing it anywhere close to where the 5th boss spawns.

Agree to disagree. Build something majestic up there!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I just killed the Elk boss and started delving into the Black Forest. I'm getting my rear end kicked by everything I meet in there. Is there usually a pretty large spike in difficulty here?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wilderthanmild posted:

So I just killed the Elk boss and started delving into the Black Forest. I'm getting my rear end kicked by everything I meet in there. Is there usually a pretty large spike in difficulty here?

compared to the meadows there is real danger until you have at least troll leather armor. i'd get that going along with a decent bow

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

Yes. Once you learn how to parry reliably and start getting better at managing your food, you'll notice things get easier. Also, the jump from Crude Bow to Finewood Bow is one of the biggest power jumps in the game. Go for it ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'll go work on that nicer bow. I'm not even sure how I'll get troll leather armor, considering that my first attempt at fighting a troll was extremely poor. It almost feels more realistic to skip the troll and try to mine enough ore that I can make metal armor, but maybe that will change with other gear upgrades.