Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As far as I can tell, here is the law defining what extremism is and the justification for the "re-education" camps:

quote:

Chapter II: Primary Expressions of Extremification
Article 9: The following words and actions under the influence of extremism are extremification, and are to be prohibited:

(1) Advocating or spreading extremist thinking;

(2) Interfering with others' freedom of religion by forcing others to participate in religious activities, forcing others to supply properties or labor services to religious activity sites or religious professionals;

(3) Interfering with activities such as others' weddings and funerals or inheritance;

(4) Interfering with others from having communication, exchanges, mixing with, or living together, with persons of other ethnicities or other faiths; or driving persons of other ethnicities or faiths to leave their homes

(5) Interfering with cultural and recreational activities, rejecting or refusing public goods and services such as radio and television.

(6) Generalizing the concept of Halal, to make Halal expand into areas other beyond Halal foods, and using the idea of something being not-halal to reject or interfere with others secular lives;

(7) Wearing, or compelling others to wear, burqas with face coverings, or to bear symbols of extremification;

(8) Spreading religious fanaticism through irregular beards or name selection;

(9) Failing to perform the legal formalities in marrying or divorcing by religious methods;

(10) Not allowing children to receive public education, obstructing the implementation of the national education system;

(11) Intimidating or inducing others to boycott national policies; to intentionally destroy state documents prescribed for by law, such as resident identity cards, household registration books; or to deface currency;

(12) Intentionally damaging or destroying public or private property;

(13) Publishing, printing, distributing, selling, producing, downloading, storing, reproducing, accessing, copying, or possessing articles, publications, audio or video with extremification content;

(14) Deliberately interfering with or undermining the implementation of family planning policies;

(15) Other speech and acts of extremification.
Not good, but "irregular beards" particularly stands out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

deploying le epic calm hitler meme against the guy mad about genocide. we're through the looking glass

Serf
May 5, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

Literally no way Dolphin is arguing in good faith anymore go back to D&D.

yeah they seem to be trolling, dunno the motivation. like all they have done is prove how much of the mainstream discourse around xinjiang links back to the same few sources that have clearly stated ulterior motives. this does not prove/disprove genocide but only serves to muddy the waters even more around how severe these human rights abuses are

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unfortunately my knowledge is only about inner mongolia but there its because the rural people are spread way the gently caress out so its just easier to have kids live in boarding schools than arrange transportation

There was a cool segment in the Human Planet documentary from a decade ago about a Tibetan dad making a 100km trek down a frozen river to bring his kids to boarding school for the school season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgdueqdZc_s

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I've never seen whole threads devoted to defending Israel and Saudi Arabia against charges of genocide. If I had, I would have posted about them, too.

Okay. We agree that the US manufactured a reason to invade Iraq. At that time, Iraq had 26 million people, no nukes, and no strong economic ties to the US. In what world is the exact same playbook used to invade a nuclear-armed nation with 1.4 billion people that manufactures most of your consumer goods and has trillions of dollars of Western companies' assets inside its borders? This is exactly why I'm calling you an apologist, because you dream up this bullshit scenario ('the US is going to invade on the pretext of stopping genocide!') to argue that reports of a real, existing genocide are just like reports of nonexistent WMDs.

the only thing the US ever does for foreign policy is war, violent regime change, and funding and training death squads so keep saying its all made up poo poo

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Okay. We agree that the US manufactured a reason to invade Iraq. At that time, Iraq had 26 million people, no nukes, and no strong economic ties to the US. In what world is the exact same playbook used to invade a nuclear-armed nation with 1.4 billion people that manufactures most of your consumer goods and has trillions of dollars of Western companies' assets inside its borders? This is exactly why I'm calling you an apologist, because you dream up this bullshit scenario ('the US is going to invade on the pretext of stopping genocide!') to argue that reports of a real, existing genocide are just like reports of nonexistent WMDs.

the US is not going to invade mainland china, the fear is a combination of cold war, sanctions, proxy wars, further militarization of the region, supporting separatists, and brinksmanship to stop China’s rise as it grows more powerful than the US. there are all kinds of ways this can get incredibly dangerous, escalate, and kill lots of people

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

to argue that reports of a real, existing genocide are just like reports of nonexistent WMDs.

Again for seemingly the hundredth time, present proof that there is an actual genocide happening, instead of heavy handed policing that is likely catching up far more innocent people than it would be if all cops weren't terrible across the world. We instead have the entirety of the US's history since WW2 as evidence that the US drumming up anti-(nation) sentiment will in turn be used in some fashion (sanctions to outright invasions) to cause far more harm than whatever they are accusing that nation of doing.

Because these are the actual sides of the issue, unless someone would instead prefer to just not comment one way or the other. You either consciously or not advance the US's line, or you try to combat against it. The west's overwhelming world stage presence and power just flat out doesn't allow a "heh, clearly they are both bad and I am super enlightened" middle ground.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

THS posted:

the US is not going to invade mainland china, the fear is a combination of cold war, sanctions, proxy wars, further militarization of the region, supporting separatists, and brinksmanship to stop China’s rise as it grows more powerful than the US. there are all kinds of ways this can get incredibly dangerous, escalate, and kill lots of people

I agree with all this, please tell it to your friend there who keeps posting that the US is going to invade mainland China just like Iraq

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dolphin posted:

That's not what happened. I posted a random list of sources that I intentionally didn't read and ya'll pick and chose the ones you responded to, which happened to be the ones associated with people you didn't like. You attacked a list of alleged victims because the guy compiling the list said he didn't purport to its accuracy. There was one or two that you had logical objections to, like the study with 8 respondents.

This is extremely misleading. You make it sound like of your giant list of sources, a few were associated with Zenz et all, and people only responded to those. But this implies a pile of legitimate, untainted sources that China defenders deliberately didn't engage with because they had no good answer to them. Where are these other sources?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if the US isn't actually going to start poo poo with China because they're too strong to be militarily defeated and their economies are too intertwined, then what is the point of all the poo poo the US has already started, that has already negatively affected America's economy because of the aforementioned intertwining?

because if America isn't actually smart enough to avoid loving with China to its own detriment (which we know they are because they've already done that, and are continuing to do that), then that means the economy argument isn't enough to stop a war, so what is the guarantee that America isn't also smart enough to avoid loving with China militarily?

and that's to say nothing of the objective of all the objections the US is raising to China's practices in the first place. If the US was never going to do anything about it, why even bring it up?

It's not like it's independent journalists doing work with regards to China and telling the rest of the world to do what they will with the information, the US government has taken an actual position on this

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Dolphin posted:

As far as I can tell, here is the law defining what extremism is and the justification for the "re-education" camps:

Not good, but "irregular beards" particularly stands out.

See, now this is something concrete to say is really terrible.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's about time people started denying the genocide without mention of the United States in their arguments. It isn't a sound argument and makes you all look unreasonable, your entire argument is based on character assassination and some variation of the genetic fallacy. Like no one is arguing we have conclusive info but then to turn around and say you have conclusive proof that all the people alleging rape and other forms of abuse are lying because the United States is bad is pretty :ironicat:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

This is extremely misleading. You make it sound like of your giant list of sources, a few were associated with Zenz et all, and people only responded to those. But this implies a pile of legitimate, untainted sources that China defenders deliberately didn't engage with because they had no good answer to them. Where are these other sources?

I would really like to see any sources cited by the "China is doing a genocide" camp that aren't easily traced by the Zenz and/or the State Department, do these exist

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Baykin posted:

Again for seemingly the hundredth time, present proof that there is an actual genocide happening, instead of heavy handed policing that is likely catching up far more innocent people than it would be if all cops weren't terrible across the world. We instead have the entirety of the US's history since WW2 as evidence that the US drumming up anti-(nation) sentiment will in turn be used in some fashion (sanctions to outright invasions) to cause far more harm than whatever they are accusing that nation of doing.

Because these are the actual sides of the issue, unless someone would instead prefer to just not comment one way or the other. You either consciously or not advance the US's line, or you try to combat against it. The west's overwhelming world stage presence and power just flat out doesn't allow a "heh, clearly they are both bad and I am super enlightened" middle ground.

if I thought my CSPAM posts had a chance of influencing US-China relations I would definitely be more careful about what I said. but they don't, and this is a bullshit end-run to silence people who disagree with you without actually addressing the core, factual disagreement

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as we all know, wars have never been started for irrational and self-destructive reasons. i am very smart.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dolphin posted:

I think it's about time people started denying the genocide without mention of the United States in their arguments. It isn't a sound argument and makes you all look unreasonable, your entire argument is based on character assassination and some variation of the genetic fallacy. Like no one is arguing we have conclusive info but then to turn around and say you have conclusive proof that all the people alleging rape and other forms of abuse are lying because the United States is bad is pretty :ironicat:

There's unquestionably abuse happening because that's an inevitable side effect of basically any kind of policing. "No one is being mistreated" is a different claim from "a genocide is not being carried out".

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

I would really like to see any sources cited by the "China is doing a genocide" camp that aren't easily traced by the Zenz and/or the State Department, do these exist
I'm working on it. Zenz is extremely prolific so it's a bit like trying to find evidence of poo poo about the cosmos without mention of Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
our entire foreign policy history is literally manufacturing various excuses for invading other countries, violent regime change, proxy wars, funding death squads, and supporting/creating dictators that commit crimes against humanity/genocide

so why this campaign of china bad and committing genocide if it isnt literally to do one of these things?

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Mar 26, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

as we all know, wars have never been started for irrational and self-destructive reasons. i am very smart.
as we all know, since dumb things have happened in the past that's definitely what's happening now. i am very smart.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

I agree with all this, please tell it to your friend there who keeps posting that the US is going to invade mainland China just like Iraq

This concern lies within the context that as the effects of climate change continue to worsen, as the US state continues to fall apart, the actions that will ultimately take place are impossible to predict and it then becomes pretty easy assume that a continually rising China would be met with any and all forms of response from the collapsing US.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

I'm working on it. Zenz is extremely prolific so it's a bit like trying to find evidence of poo poo about the cosmos without mention of Neil Degrasse Tyson.

stuff like equating a fantatical loon like zenz to a cringey but credible pop-scientist like tyson is why people think you're just trolling

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

as we all know, since dumb things have happened in the past that's definitely what's happening now. i am very smart.

yea, let's just blindly trust the competence and rationality of the us ruling classes lmao forever

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More reading of this law:

quote:

Chapter II: Primary Expressions of Extremification
Article 9: The following words and actions under the influence of extremism are extremification, and are to be prohibited:

(1) Advocating or spreading extremist thinking;

(2) Interfering with others' freedom of religion by forcing others to participate in religious activities, forcing others to supply properties or labor services to religious activity sites or religious professionals;

(3) Interfering with activities such as others' weddings and funerals or inheritance;

(4) Interfering with others from having communication, exchanges, mixing with, or living together, with persons of other ethnicities or other faiths; or driving persons of other ethnicities or faiths to leave their homes

(5) Interfering with cultural and recreational activities, rejecting or refusing public goods and services such as radio and television.

(6) Generalizing the concept of Halal, to make Halal expand into areas other beyond Halal foods, and using the idea of something being not-halal to reject or interfere with others secular lives;

(7) Wearing, or compelling others to wear, burqas with face coverings, or to bear symbols of extremification;

(8) Spreading religious fanaticism through irregular beards or name selection;

(9) Failing to perform the legal formalities in marrying or divorcing by religious methods;

(10) Not allowing children to receive public education, obstructing the implementation of the national education system;

(11) Intimidating or inducing others to boycott national policies; to intentionally destroy state documents prescribed for by law, such as resident identity cards, household registration books; or to deface currency;

(12) Intentionally damaging or destroying public or private property;

(13) Publishing, printing, distributing, selling, producing, downloading, storing, reproducing, accessing, copying, or possessing articles, publications, audio or video with extremification content;

(14) Deliberately interfering with or undermining the implementation of family planning policies;

(15) Other speech and acts of extremification.

quote:

Chapter VI: Legal Responsibility
Article 46: Where article 9 of this Regulation is violated, but the circumstances are more minor, the public security organs, together with relevant departments and units, are to order corrections and give criticisms and education or legal education; where the circumstances are more serious, but do not constitute a crime, the public security organs are to give public security administrative sanctions in accordance with the "Anti-Terrorism Law of the People's Republic of China", the "public security administrative punishments law of the People's Republic of China" as well as the "Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region implementation measures for the 'Anti-Terrorism Law of the People's Republic of China'", and confiscate any unlawful gains, and civil liability is to be borne for any harms caused to others.

Article 47: De-extremification leading groups, departments, units, or their staffs, failing to perform their duties during de-extremification work, are to be given criticism and education by the unit they are located at or by their higher-ranking competent department, and ordered to reform; where the circumstances are serious, principle responsible person, persons who are directly in charge, and directly responsible personnel are to be given administrative penalties in accordance with law.

Article 48: Other conduct that violates these Regulations and should be punished is to be given punishment in accordance with the relevant laws and regulations, and where a crime is constituted, pursue criminal responsibility in accordance with law.
Okay, so yes, wearing a beard can land you in a reeducation camp, that is established based on the word of the law. The law also implies it can land you in worse, depending on the severity of the beard.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's 1000% obvious that dolphin is a bad faith actor and if you mods are still reading the discourse goes from sensible to lovely precisely because poo poo like this is tolerated

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dolphin posted:

perhaps you have here revealed the problem with my request

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's 1000% obvious that dolphin is a bad faith actor and if you mods are still reading the discourse goes from sensible to lovely precisely because poo poo like this is tolerated

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

perhaps you have here revealed the problem with my request
The problem with your request is that since Zenz is extremely prolific and is the loudest voice, he gets quoted a lot by every mainstream article on the subject. Those articles then get dismissed here by angry-posters despite having corroborating evidence from eyewitnesses.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

You are the biggest whiner on this board.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dolphin posted:

The problem with your request is that since Zenz is extremely prolific and is the loudest voice, he gets quoted a lot by every mainstream article on the subject. Those articles then get dismissed here by angry-posters despite having corroborating evidence from eyewitnesses.

no one is forcing those mainstream articles to cite the dude

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
he's right, I was there, I saw it all

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

yeah, this is generally around the point in non-mod feedback threads where the majority ends up getting extremely fed up and starts just poo poo flinging harder and harder until the mods eventually come in to ban the poo poo flingers and let the original people that caused it get away unscathed. which is what has led to the animosity towards the mods in general.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

pointing out manufacturing consent and source laundering is conspiracy theorizing

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

You're right, but he is extremely sensationalist so of course they're going to. But just using mention of his name to dismiss an article that contains other information is bad. And I still haven't heard a decent explanation why Zenz, despite being a wackjob, has to automatically be wrong 100% of the time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

you don't see an issue with mainstream sources relying so heavily on a guy who thinks he is on a divine mission from god to destroy the prc? like why are they citing him at all given his clear bias and, frankly, poor mental state?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

In ALD's defense sometimes a poster digs in like this and really just won't stop being an r word b word

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dolphin posted:

More reading of this law:

Okay, so yes, wearing a beard can land you in a reeducation camp, that is established based on the word of the law. The law also implies it can land you in worse, depending on the severity of the beard.

That's not quite what it says. The actual vocational schools/internment centers are only one part of what's going on in Xinjiang, and "criticism or education or legal education" also encompasses, like, a guy coming to your house to lecture you. "Criticism and education" are actually regular parts of Chinese administration way beyond this specific policy; it goes on a lot in the military, for instance.

That said, the "irregular beard" and burqa regulations are clearly there to allow for broad "I know it when I see it" justification for stopping people on the street or going on to harass or arrest them in the tradition of cops everywhere. Fortunately, Chinese cops are on the whole less feral and murderous than ours.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dolphin posted:

You're right, but he is extremely sensationalist so of course they're going to. But just using mention of his name to dismiss an article that contains other information is bad. And I still haven't heard a decent explanation why Zenz, despite being a wackjob, has to automatically be wrong 100% of the time.

He's often not wrong, just disingenuous and making ultimately meaningless albeit sensationalist claims; see the "net IUD insertions" discussion we had a few pages ago for an example.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

you don't see an issue with mainstream sources relying so heavily on a guy who thinks he is on a divine mission from god to destroy the prc? like why are they citing him at all given his clear bias and, frankly, poor mental state?
I'm getting more into direct sources now so you'll have to bear with me on that because it's time consuming as all hell. But I think we all understand the nature of mainstream media, they're citing him because it makes the article more interesting to viewers which in turn gets more views and shares which gives more advertising money, as capitalism goes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

I'm getting more into direct sources now so you'll have to bear with me on that because it's time consuming as all hell. But I think we all understand the nature of mainstream media, they're citing him because it makes the article more interesting to viewers which in turn gets more views and shares which gives more advertising money, as capitalism goes.

yes, capitalism does seek to discredit and destroy alternative systems (not that i think china's socialism is worth a poo poo), and so it resorts to any dirty tactic it can perform. you acknowledging that the articles are bunk doesn't really help any position you're actually trying to stake out. not that i believe you're sincere in whatever it is you're doing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Dolphin posted:

lol