Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

From the little I could see through that crappy image host what you have there is a pit of decades of maintenance debt that likely has significant water damage. It wouldn't surprise me for the final bill to be $50+k, especially in today materials/contracting prices. A standard inspection will not be able to reveal the extent of this type of damage so beware, but I'm sure a competent inspector with a moisture meter in the attic is going to show all manners of horrors on its own.

No, the kitchen having grounded outlets almost definitely has nothing to do with the rest of the home.

Unless this is well below your budget and you don't mind living in a construction zone for months this is a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The outlets in the kitchen might have three prongs, but there's no guarantee they're actually grounded to anything but their own work box, or that there's actually modern romex running contiguously from those outlets to the panel.

Having renovated a 1920s house from the studs out, I now believe that everything you see in an old house is a lie told by everyone who's worked on that house before, possibly including the studs themselves.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Thank you for the sanity check thread, this is my first home purchase and I am trying to be as realistic about what I can afford, and what I am willing to put up with. Walking into definite major repairs checks neither box and I will continue looking. I will also never use that image host again, amen.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Thank you for the sanity check thread, this is my first home purchase and I am trying to be as realistic about what I can afford, and what I am willing to put up with. Walking into definite major repairs checks neither box and I will continue looking. I will also never use that image host again, amen.

We saw a positively beautiful place a week or so ago that ticked every single box we had. After checking out the first and second floors, we were absolutely convinced we were making an offer.

Then we saw the basement. Flooding, bugs, wet foundation, waterlogged rafters (or whatever it's called, the poo poo that supports the floor), severely cracked and buckling concrete flooring, a support that seemed to be just a 2x4 hammered into place ... just tens of thousands of dollars in repairs, staring us right in the face.

We still sat there for a bit trying to justify making an offer because we loved the house itself just that much. Not worth it, though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lighting chat, here is my sad boob light in the main bedroom in my new condo, built early 2000s.

Any ideas? I think I'll probably just go with a ceiling fan with maybe 3 LED light bulbs attached.

I know it's not the best vs. recessed fixtures. In a condo, am I looking at maybe $500 per new recessed fixture in a ceiling like that all in?

Here is the main kitchen / living area. Bulb and entire other fixture was not working, seller agreed to have these functioning during final walkthrough. Not going to make changes here, seems like good lighting already:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 25, 2021

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PageMaster posted:

As we just found out, if a VA appraiser finds items needing to be corrected like some peeling paint inside or weathered wood on the deck, and makes loan reliant upon correction, we were charged 1500 for the reinspection cost. I know VA is a little more regulated with standardized fees, so I don't know if it's the appraiser or the lender doing anything shady, but I don't understand how the reinspection is twice the cost of the original appraisal.

A repair inspection/reinspection fee of $1500 is not normal. $150 was the limit in many states including VA, MD, DC as of 2018. It is probably a typo, I would double check with the lender.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

lampey posted:

A repair inspection/reinspection fee of $1500 is not normal. $150 was the limit in many states including VA, MD, DC as of 2018. It is probably a typo, I would double check with the lender.

Thanks for catching this, it does look like a typo that we are fixing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yesssssss appraisal came through at our offer price. Another hurtle knocked down.

No Pinhead for me.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

My appraisal came in, it is 17% below our offer price, and 4.7% below the asking price. This is in Austin, where houses are going for 10-30% over asking, and this house had 15 offers in 3 days. One of the guys comps is from November. What a clown

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Infinotize posted:

My appraisal came in, it is 17% below our offer price, and 4.7% below the asking price. This is in Austin, where houses are going for 10-30% over asking, and this house had 15 offers in 3 days. One of the guys comps is from November. What a clown

What's your next move my guy?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Downpayment paid, loan docs signed, walkthrough tomorrow, close on Monday (presumably). Ping-ponging between excitement and anxiety.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Inner Light posted:

What's your next move my guy?

The difference is real money but we can eat it if it comes down to it. Our agent is going to take a big poo poo on the report with more recent comps (appraiser is not supposed to but sometimes this can move the needle from what I've been told).

We'll have to speak with everyone tomorrow to see what if any options there are. My first thought is get another appraisal, which could be an issue due to timing, although this appraisal was done 8 business days after being ordered which would just barely give us enough time to get another one assuming equal timing.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 26, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Infinotize posted:

The last time we had an appraisal done for I think a HELOC the appraiser used 3 town homes in our area as comps. We threw a huge fit about that and he had to come back out and do comps against actual houses, like what we actually live in.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It's been a day and I'm still in complete awe of this. Perfect in every way.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Condo docs are in! There is a reserve study (good!) that projects the modified bitumen roof will need to be replaced by 2023 for ~$280K (bad)

I swear the sellers are dumping this thing at the perfect time. Old HVAC, old roof.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's me, the guy that's doing a +40k over asking, waiving (almost) all contingencies blind bid. In just three weeks I've become everything I hate. The only thing I can't waive is the VA appraisal, which is fine because that's the only thing I'm genuinely concerned about even though I have no logical reason to given the market.

I'm still not going to get it, and I'll be stuck in this apartment forever.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Literally less than five new-to-market houses in a two county area fitting my criteria this week. What is going on?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Got a question for the thread.

I'm in the process of selling my house; specifically, currently getting contracts for some updates to prep it for sale (paint, replacing some severely damaged floor, replacing the roof). One item that realtors keep suggesting is the front of the house - there are some bushes that have become overgrown and are just kinda bleh. (In my opinion, they were the wrong bushes for the location anyway - that close to the house, they should not have planted something that was going to grow more AROUND than UP, but I digress).

So, question: if I decide to remove the bushes entirely, should I just drop some mulch/rock and leave the area a blank canvas for the next owners? Or should I try and plant something there to not make it feel so "empty" in those spots?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Zarin posted:

I'm in the process of selling my house; specifically, currently getting contracts for some updates to prep it for sale (paint, replacing some severely damaged floor, replacing the roof). One item that realtors keep suggesting is the front of the house - there are some bushes that have become overgrown and are just kinda bleh. (In my opinion, they were the wrong bushes for the location anyway - that close to the house, they should not have planted something that was going to grow more AROUND than UP, but I digress).

So, question: if I decide to remove the bushes entirely, should I just drop some mulch/rock and leave the area a blank canvas for the next owners? Or should I try and plant something there to not make it feel so "empty" in those spots?

In this market? No one is going to give two shits about the shrubs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whether you should be doing any of what you're doing as well as the answer to your question are heavily dependent on your local real estate market, and to some extent what "tier" of properties you home is in.

If you're in a hot market you probably don't need to do much of anything.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Zarin posted:

We have a similar situation with some giant overgrown shrubs that were way too large and close to the house - we ended up having them removed. Our realtor advised us to mulch over the area and plant a few cheap flowers for a splash of color, so that's what we've done. It really does look quite a bit better, and wasn't too expensive or time consuming - if you're not dealing with a huge amount of space it's probably worth doing.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The house we bought a month ago has foundation leak issues. We found out because the new carpet we had installed in basement this week was wet lol just kill me now

Never buy a house

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Selling my current place and I am decluttering and throwing some fresh paint on some walls. There is nothing else for sale in town and for some reason this place is seen as a hot place to live in so I expect no one will care.

I was told specifically by my selling agent to not spend a ton of money as it won’t make a difference.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

The house we bought a month ago has foundation leak issues. We found out because the new carpet we had installed in basement this week was wet lol just kill me now

Never buy a house

condolences

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I maintain that basements are a sacrificial offering to the water gods, so that they may spare your improved living areas above

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

Whether you should be doing any of what you're doing as well as the answer to your question are heavily dependent on your local real estate market, and to some extent what "tier" of properties you home is in.

If you're in a hot market you probably don't need to do much of anything.

Good point - I'm in Central IL, so it's warm (maybe?) but not hot, I don't think. Inventory is low, but I don't think things are nearly as crazy as I'm seeing in the thread. The two realtors I talked to as part of the relocation agreement basically said the same things: "You're gonna wanna take care of these 3 (paint, roof, floor) and do something about the bushes."

My tier of property is very solidly "Starter Home", I feel - so I think the plan is to try and have it as move-in ready and hassle-free for someone trying to move from renting to buying as we can. The one thing that I think may make things hard is the lack of a garage. It's easily my most massive dislike of the place, and I regret not having one built when I bought the house 10 years ago. But . . . I didn't think I was gonna be here this long, and I also didn't think that it would be worth it whenever I did consider it :sigh:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Zarin posted:

Spend an afternoon buzzing at them with a hedge trimmer before they take pictures for the listing. Maybe throw some mulch down if it's bad, but honestly as long as it doesn't look totally unkempt nobody's going to care all that much. If they do, most US markets are hot seller's markets, so someone who doesn't care will be along soon enough.

Zarin posted:

(In my opinion, they were the wrong bushes for the location anyway - that close to the house, they should not have planted something that was going to grow more AROUND than UP, but I digress).

lmao we have 3 loropetalums behind our garage where the electrical and telecom service comes in. They were planted 2' from the foundation and 3' from each other. Problem is, these fuckers get 15+ ft tall/wide if you let them. I hacked them down to a 1' tall stump almost exactly a year ago, and they're easily 4' tall today.

Builders put whatever garbage shrubs they can get their hands on for foundation cover, and they give precisely zero shits how it will look in 5 years. As long as it meets local minimum plant requirements for new construction, they don't care.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zarin posted:

My tier of property is very solidly "Starter Home"

In my opinion the most important thing for starter homes is to make sure there are no expensive things that need doing, as the people buying it probably do'nt have the additional cash, can't handle coming up with it quickly and might have homeowner insurance issues if it's 25+ years old. So I'd say definitely on the roof.

The rest......I don't know your market. But take a look at listings for similar properties and how quickly they've sold and what condition they're in.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Depends on the house and the area but major foundation issues are probably the walk away point for me. A bad roof with associated water damage might be another. Any house will have some issues and if the inspector is any good they should be able to find and focus on the big issues (although not guaranteed). If the house has a lot of DIY work or recently renovated I would be wary of electrical and plumbing issues too.

Never buy a house

You jinxed yourself! Sorry m8 :(

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I maintain that basements are a sacrificial offering to the water gods, so that they may spare your improved living areas above

This used to be more or less true in a way. Basements in old houses were never meant to be finished/livable - foundation walls were made from stone and lime mortar and weep excess moisture. Floors were either concrete with a drain (and/or cistern) or plain dirt, so in cases of water inundation, it’d flow into the drain/cistern or soak into the ground. If you seal the walls and finish the space, you gently caress everything up because the water can no longer escape and you get mold and spalling and poo poo. We are never finishing our basement - don’t want to anger the gods of rain and the water table (as we are on a flat and not a hill).

Also really glad we did not buy an old house with a finished basement knowing what we now know about old house basements.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Epitope posted:

You jinxed yourself! Sorry m8 :(

I know I know :doh:

I think the problem isn’t as bad as I initially thought and may be solved by fixing a downspout that currently drains underground. Gonna try to route it above ground with an extender and see how it goes next time it rains.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I do not recall reading about backup offers in the past 10-20 pages of the thread, so I’ll ask the thread for opinions. The only downside to taking a backup offer position as a buyer is that you have to wait to get your earnest money back should you decide to offer on another house, correct? This is in Oregon where closing is handled via escrow.

This house has a non-owner tenant, but the tenant has agreed to be out by close. The contract will state that the seller is responsible for ensuring the tenant has vacated the property by close.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I do not recall reading about backup offers in the past 10-20 pages of the thread, so I’ll ask the thread for opinions. The only downside to taking a backup offer position as a buyer is that you have to wait to get your earnest money back should you decide to offer on another house, correct? This is in Oregon where closing is handled via escrow.

This house has a non-owner tenant, but the tenant has agreed to be out by close. The contract will state that the seller is responsible for ensuring the tenant has vacated the property by close.

We're in Portland and just agreed to be a backup offer on a house last weekend. No earnest money changed hands. The seller just said we were close enough that they were willing to sign an agreement to go with our offer if the first fell through.

I don't know how common that is, but our realtor recommended it and already had a standard offer amendment ready to go. It seemed pretty low risk and standardized. My understanding is it basically just saves the seller the effort of re-listing if the first offer went south.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

incogneato posted:

We're in Portland and just agreed to be a backup offer on a house last weekend. No earnest money changed hands. The seller just said we were close enough that they were willing to sign an agreement to go with our offer if the first fell through.

I don't know how common that is, but our realtor recommended it and already had a standard offer amendment ready to go. It seemed pretty low risk and standardized. My understanding is it basically just saves the seller the effort of re-listing if the first offer went south.

Ok cool, what’s up fellow future Portland homebuyer! Thanks for the details, if there is no earnest money down then I see literally no reason why not to do this.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

incogneato posted:

I imagine you're realtor has already covered it, but I would just check to see how this interacts with you putting in other offers and continuing to house hunt in the extremely unlikely chance that you get an accepted offer on another place at the exact same time this seller signs and accepts your backup offer. My guess is they would give you a verbal first before signing anything since they obviously understand you're still looking at other places.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So I'm passed inspection, appraisal, and conditional mortgage approval. We're working on scheduling a closing. I'm currently shopping for insurance (I just went to policy genius to make my life easy, and I'll consider a hardcore look later like suggested). NYC 5 boroughs.

Policy Genius said a bunch of the final quotes came back really high because there were what they think were 2 "wind damage claims" or something similar, one in 2017 and one in 2020. We checked with the owner, and the claims were for the deck + fence being destroyed by a blizzard (replaced) and just a check in because a piece of siding fell off in a windstorm.

It is normal to consider previous owners claims on a home or were some of the quotes they got dumb bullshit? We got a quote that was fine and ignored it, just wondering if this is going to limit our options later.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It is normal to consider previous owners claims on a home

I know nothing but I think the answer to this is "yes, absolutely". I can't imagine why one of the quotes you received didn't take into account previous claims on the property.

For those goons that are wary about filing claims, if you can painfully afford to replace a deck + fence after it was damaged, would you skip filing a claim in that case?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I know nothing but I think the answer to this is "yes, absolutely". I can't imagine why one of the quotes you received didn't take into account previous claims on the property.

For those goons that are wary about filing claims, if you can painfully afford to replace a deck + fence after it was damaged, would you skip filing a claim in that case?

The quote is from Swyfft, who apparently just doesn't take it into consideration according to Policy Genius. Their quote was 55% lower (~$2800 from Mercury vs ~$1550) than the ones that did consider it, with not huge differences in coverages as far as I could tell.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah prior claims on a property can affect rates

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/insurance/t028-c001-s000-how-past-claims-affect-homeowners-insurance-rates.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It is normal to consider previous owners claims on a home or were some of the quotes they got dumb bullshit?

Of course it is. This is what a CLUE report is for.