Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mister Facetious posted:

Phrases without context:

"multi-fidelity surrogate aeroelastic model-based optimization"

A company in Denmark made a more efficient wind turbine blade (4-6%).

"Windmills DO WORK THAT WAY! Good night!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, that sounds pretty rad either way.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sad that the people who made wind turbines more efficient had to do that but mad respect for the fact they made it through the meetings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ima run for office on a platform of making it legal to shoot robots

Finally a way to solve gun violence in America, a race of robot life forms designed only for being shot at when people are angry instead of shooting real people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neo Rasa posted:

Finally a way to solve gun violence in America, a race of robot life forms designed only for being shot at when people are angry instead of shooting real people.

Wouldn't work unless those robots actually had realistic chances of having a life as good or better than them.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't turn out so well for Ed Harris.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It would be incredibly tasteless to make a joke about robots taking American jobs, so I definitely won't do that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

packetmantis posted:

Didn't turn out so well for Ed Harris.

Can you clarify this reference? My knowledge of Ed Harris films is pretty spotty when it's not The Rock.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mister Facetious posted:

Can you clarify this reference? My knowledge of Ed Harris films is pretty spotty when it's not The Rock.

Westworld

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

If you just steal the candy it offers can that be considered entrapment?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Robocop.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Robocop was awesome but "race of robot life forms designed only for being shot at" is definitely Westworld friend :catbert: (which is also awesome, even if S2 drags a bit!)

Edit: Also NFT content

https://twitter.com/zachhazard/status/1374589801882652672

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've got an illicit photo of Starry Night from my trip there. Do you want to buy it?

Alternate joke: That feeling when your political "science" friends learn about replay attacks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I didn't think you could ever huff a fart this large but here we are.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I didn't think you could ever huff a fart this large but here we are.

https://twitter.com/cameron/status/1374530462148747267?s=20

* Presses Ctrl-C, then CTRL-V onto their harddrive *

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
eyyy how much etherium farts GAS do I need to sell this as an NFT?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This guy went to Harvard

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lmao thats what poors do . . . Listen my man I bought a token pointing to a special website hosting that jpeg, from the jpeg creator himself. Your jpeg is merely a copy of my jpeg, which is the real jpeg

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This is why I recycle tabs I already have open when I go to a different website instead of throwing it away and opening a new one

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

TACD posted:

This is why I recycle tabs I already have open when I go to a different website instead of throwing it away and opening a new one

waste not mallac, want not free

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Lmao thats what poors do . . . Listen my man I bought a token pointing to a special website hosting that jpeg, from the jpeg creator himself. Your jpeg is merely a copy of my jpeg, which is the real jpeg

Imagine if they actually degraded with each copy: :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HootTheOwl posted:

This guy went to Harvard

Going to a good university doesn't automatically make you smart. It gives you the opportunity to improve your skills in what you chose to focus on. In the case of rich shitlords the focus was clearly on getting high networking with other rich shitlords.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
is harvard actually a good university i thought it was just the expensive class-signaling one that you need to be related to rich people to get into

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

is harvard actually a good university i thought it was just the expensive class-signaling one that you need to be related to rich people to get into

generally yes

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can get a world class education, but that's not the primary purpose of schools like that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Having spent time at a "world renowned" university and also a fairly middling one, I can honestly say that you can receive either a good or poor education at either one, at least at the undergraduate level, and to quote Calvin and Hobbes: "what you get out of education depends on what you put into it." And, to be completely honest, the worst instructors I had (not professors) were at the "prestigious" university because they didn't have to actually worry about satisfying undergraduate students on any level.

At the graduate level, I think it's even more questionable, because the main thing you want is to work with someone who wants to support you and can do so effectively, and whose expertise and research interests align with your own. While this might be at Harvard or similar, for many fields/sub-fields it might not be.

This, of course, ignores the primary purpose of going to an Ivy League university, or Oxbridge, which is to network. Maybe I was oblivious, but I don't think we really had an equivalent in Canada -- at least not to the same degree.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PT6A posted:

Having spent time at a "world renowned" university and also a fairly middling one, I can honestly say that you can receive either a good or poor education at either one, at least at the undergraduate level, and to quote Calvin and Hobbes: "what you get out of education depends on what you put into it." And, to be completely honest, the worst instructors I had (not professors) were at the "prestigious" university because they didn't have to actually worry about satisfying undergraduate students on any level.

At the graduate level, I think it's even more questionable, because the main thing you want is to work with someone who wants to support you and can do so effectively, and whose expertise and research interests align with your own. While this might be at Harvard or similar, for many fields/sub-fields it might not be.

This, of course, ignores the primary purpose of going to an Ivy League university, or Oxbridge, which is to network. Maybe I was oblivious, but I don't think we really had an equivalent in Canada -- at least not to the same degree.

as a general university i'd agree. within cs waterloo is close, though. maybe alberta for intense ml stuff but idk, that's just the people i know there

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HootTheOwl posted:

This guy went to Harvard

Lol, I went to (dropped out of) Chicago and I totally grok that NFTs are bullshit designed to separate suckers from money. Do I grok a prize?

Edit: also, ‘grok’ in 1990 2021? Lol loser.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

as a general university i'd agree. within cs waterloo is close, though. maybe alberta for intense ml stuff but idk, that's just the people i know there

Specialization is a huge thing. Out of high school I wasn't interested in CS so I wanted to go to McGill for physics, and then when my interests shifted and I changed majors... McGill had some really gifted profs in that field, but overall the program was poo poo, and when I transferred to U of Calgary, honestly the quality of the instruction was, on average, better.

On the other hand, the degree means less from U of C, and not in purely a snobby way; the professors were as good or better*, without a doubt, but the standards were so much lower. I got over 100% in one course, an upper level undergraduate course at that, and that simply should not be possible, unless I'm so smart that I've deprived humanity by not committing myself to further study in this field at the graduate level (and I can't express enough that I really, really do not believe that's the case).

* I had two professors at McGill, who I can honestly say changed my life and my appreciation for their fields -- one of whom has since passed away, unfortunately. Most of them... were not like that, and the professors at U of C who taught courses related to their field were far better than the vast majority of profs I had at McGill who didn't give much of a poo poo one way or the other. But I am very glad I got to experience the absolute best.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 25, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Imagine if they actually degraded with each copy: :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

I'm honestly loving curious how they get so many pixels in their copy pastes.

Us nerds: Press the PrtScr button, PNG comes out.

MAGAgrandma1488: Is there a way I can send this image to everyone I know? I should probably copy it into Powerpoint and then Word before I send it on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I'm honestly loving curious how they get so many pixels in their copy pastes.

Us nerds: Press the PrtScr button, PNG comes out.

MAGAgrandma1488: Is there a way I can send this image to everyone I know? I should probably copy it into Powerpoint and then Word before I send it on.

It's in the description of the video.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Don’t read any words on YouTube ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Never ask a boomer how they save and upload pictures and videos, because the answer will drive you to madness.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/_jakegroves/status/1374872023596417024

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lol. This is stuff that should definitely be illegal.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
if 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 high 👏 beam 👏 assist, 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 to 👏 drive 👏 a 👏 530e.

edit: all joking aside, this seems like ala cart trim levels that can be purchased on the go, and its not like trim levels is exactly news. its a completely unnecessary dumb sounding fancy feature on a car for shitheads with too much money to enable; why is this bad? i don't get it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/telljer/status/1375410183854231552

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You see it's an illumination feature not a safety one so it's not our fault they couldn't see your loved one in the road and killed them. But this just serves as a reminder that some cosmetic features also make the experience better so be sure to unlock all the features in the future including our pnumatic haptic feedback system that alets occupants of a collision with a helpful pop-up parachute so you know to call 911

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

if 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 high 👏 beam 👏 assist, 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 to 👏 drive 👏 a 👏 530e.

edit: all joking aside, this seems like ala cart trim levels that can be purchased on the go, and its not like trim levels is exactly news. its a completely unnecessary dumb sounding fancy feature on a car for shitheads with too much money to enable; why is this bad? i don't get it.

aside from it just blatantly being anti consumer frankly you shouldn’t be distracted by garbage like this when it’s something that has a physical button for it in the car

that lexus thing is unreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

My choice to not drive, while extremly inconvenient (and scary, with public transit) in this pandemic, still seems worth it when I see poo poo like this.