Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Ok, maybe I was being a little over-enthusiastic. I looked at the torque ratings at some popular DD bases, and even though I still think the table would survive, everything on it would probably end up on the floor the instant I hit a bump. Does anyone actually run those things at full force anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
No, but it's not really that you're going to snap your desk or anything, it's that it will flex and annoy the poo poo out of you if you're using anything approaching a realistic level of force.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do it in this order:

1) Pedals
2) Rig
3) Different/DD wheel

You may very well get to 1 or 2 and decide you’re Ok. Many of us do

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
For the price of a DD wheel you can get a good belt wheel, pedals and a rig. IMO that seating position you have going on there is gonna ruin you so bad if you just slap a DD wheel in there.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
It doesn't get talked about a lot but upgrading to a proper rig (DIY or otherwise) with a better pedal position as well does as much for immersion as a wheel upgrade. I went from a T150 to T300 with load cell upgrade but the most underrated part of that transition was bolting the pedals to a proper mount that had the correct height and angle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a rig with a T300rs wheel and fanatec load cell pedals and there has never been a time when I’ve thought “if I had a better wheel I would have won that race”.

Brakes and ergonomics are more important to going fast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I make that post above and then 30 minutes later I am the proud owner of a CSL Elite wheelbase, wheel and play seat challenge for “I dont think you know what you’ve got here” money off of Facebook marketplace

Fingers crossed everything works because the price says at least some of it should be broken lol. I can always eBay it I guess if it doesn’t work out

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice.. I wish I could have found some stuff like that. I got my first dfgt for like 50bux kuz the guys kid didn't use it anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

well, it was a bit too good to be true. the wheel makes it about a half a lap on road america before it loses its position. ffb keeps working but turning the wheel has no effect on steering. restarting the wheelbase fixes it for another half a lap

the internet seems to suggest that this is maybe a wheel position sensor? it also refused to calibrate once, further bolstering that theory

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's possible that the sensor is just bad and it is failing after several seconds after being turned on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I’ll pull it apart and see if I can identify anything obviously wrong and try again

I do like the play seat challenge, so worst case scenario I mount my t300rs on it and eBay the fanatec for parts but It would be nice to get it working

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 25, 2021

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've had something akin to that happen on an old Logitech wheel, turns out the little wheel the optical sensor reads had a little tiny bit of dirt in one of the slots and it made it lose it's position. Cleaned it out and it worked fine, maybe it's that simple for you too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope so. Internet posts seem to be split between that sensor being dirty and it being broken, so we’ll see I guess! :iiam:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the wheel were just not going back to center, I would agree with a dirty code wheel or something. I had an old fanatec wheel and it would get off center after a few laps. I opened it up and the plastic code wheel had some flashing on it that was blocking some of the slots. I cleaned it up and it was back to normal. Your issue where it seems like the wheel works for a bit and then completely loses all input until you restart the wheel sounds like the sensor itself is just bad and it stops working after a while. The only other thing I could think of is that there is a bit of debris in there that blocks the sensor after a while and the wheel finding its limits when restarting moves the debris out of the way far enough to get it to work, and then small movements of the wheel when driving moves the debris back into place. So when the wheel messes up again, maybe try replicating what the wheel does when it starts up and move it all the way to one side, and then all the way to the other side and see if it works again.

But I'm not sure how the sensor works on that wheel. The fanatec page says it is mounted directly do the main shaft to not get any wrong info from the belt drive, but the picture isn't very helpful as to what it even is. I think the only thing you can do is open it up, if you're out of warranty, and take a look.

Just be careful, I remember there was some mid range fanatec wheel where the code wheel was mounted to the steering wheel shaft and it was transparent plastic with black strips attached to it and apparently they scraped off real easy and there was no way to get replacements.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 25, 2021

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Holy poo poo Mario Kart in VR
In a Caterham :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fanatec is somehow worse now after I cleaned it than before. :iiam:

I took the cover off, dusted the optical sensor wheel off with canned air, made sure everything was spotless and reassembled. Now it won’t even try to calibrate before it goes to the flashing red light.

It’s on the latest firmware and everything so I have to assume that wheel position sensor is broke.

Oh well, on eBay it goes to recoup some money, and I’ve got a playseat out of it as well. I’ll just run my t300rs on it, which is fine by me anyway.

:rip: FB marketplace fanatec wheel

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

maybe just try and replace the sensor.. or not worry aboot it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you even buy the sensor anywhere?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could contact fanatec and see if they will let you buy it. But they wouldn't sell me anything to fix my broken CSS shifter and wanted me to ship the whole thing to them so I could pay them 60 dollars to diagnose it and then fix it at whatever extra cost.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh. Not worth it. I’ll take it apart again to take the sensor off and make sure nothings jammed in it but That’s probably as far as I’ll go

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh. Not worth it. I’ll take it apart again to take the sensor off and make sure nothings jammed in it but That’s probably as far as I’ll go

Do you mind taking a couple well-lit photos of the circuit board if it's easy? I wonder if a capacitor is failing or has failed and as it warms up it performs worse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ll check for that but it failed from a completely cold start last night

As a retro gamer I’m frankly ashamed you had to remind me to check for that. Bad caps are the bane of my existence

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Memories of replacing about a thousand motherboards back in 2004 or whatever have come flooding back. Got pretty quick at it eventually, but ugh.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Cojawfee posted:

You could contact fanatec and see if they will let you buy it. But they wouldn't sell me anything to fix my broken CSS shifter and wanted me to ship the whole thing to them so I could pay them 60 dollars to diagnose it and then fix it at whatever extra cost.

Your results may vary... I mistakenly loaded the row of dampeners on my load cell brake set upside down which eventually caused a couple of the little washers to shatter under extended use. I emailed them asking if I could buy replacements and they just sent me 3 (I only really needed 1).

Granted... that's a tiny part that they probably have thousands of laying around... but I guess I'm just saying... doesn't hurt to ask?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Essobie posted:

Your results may vary... I mistakenly loaded the row of dampeners on my load cell brake set upside down which eventually caused a couple of the little washers to shatter under extended use. I emailed them asking if I could buy replacements and they just sent me 3 (I only really needed 1).

Granted... that's a tiny part that they probably have thousands of laying around... but I guess I'm just saying... doesn't hurt to ask?

it depends on what it is. When the spring for sequential shifting broke, they just sent me a new one. I assume for anything that's clearly physically broken, they will let you diagnose, but electronics they want to do that themselves.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Just drop them a mail and ask. Make sure to note it's used and your first Fanatec product, maybe it's worth more to them to get you into the ecosystem than trying to extract service fees :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I wanted to upgrade my PC with the new generation of GPUs but it looks more and more likely that it's gonna be next year before prices are reasonable again, so now I'm eyeing that DD again. Where's Fanatec at these days? First generation issues solved? Revisions in sight? I didn't keep up at all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GhostDog posted:

I wanted to upgrade my PC with the new generation of GPUs but it looks more and more likely that it's gonna be next year before prices are reasonable again, so now I'm eyeing that DD again. Where's Fanatec at these days? First generation issues solved? Revisions in sight? I didn't keep up at all.

I don't have it yet (5-7 week backorder) but I watched Sim Raging Garage's review of the latest AccuForce wheel, and it pushed me toward them instead of Fanatec. It's about a thousand dollars for a ready-to-go kit, and the Bob Ross dude spoke highly of it. Reviews and impressions I found in general were positive. Sorry I don't have hands-on impressions to share yet, but maybe add AccuForce to your googling rabbit hole.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'll check it out but I'm rather set on Fanatec. I know I could probably get the same quality a bit cheaper elsewhere, but I like the plug and play aspect and to keep using my other stuff hassle free. They got me, is the truth of it. But I also never had a bad experience with their stuff, one squeaky fan aside.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I'll check it out but I'm rather set on Fanatec. I know I could probably get the same quality a bit cheaper elsewhere, but I like the plug and play aspect and to keep using my other stuff hassle free. They got me, is the truth of it. But I also never had a bad experience with their stuff, one squeaky fan aside.

I have the DD1 from Fanatec, it's a great wheelbase. Last year I had some problems with it and had to send it back for repairs but it cost me nothing but time to have it done. Since then it's been flawless

e: You have a rig right? cos this thing is HEAVY. The base is like 15kg on its own

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 28, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was messing around in assetto corsa trying some cars I don't often use, and when I got in the Fiat 500 Abarth, the stereo showed the song I was listening to on spotify and the loving graphic equalizer worked :psyduck:

Edit: the Giulia shows the album art and song progress :psypop:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 30, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

I was messing around in assetto corsa trying some cars I don't often use, and when I got in the Fiat 500 Abarth, the stereo showed the song I was listening to on spotify and the loving graphic equalizer worked :psyduck:

Edit: the Giulia shows the album art and song progress :psypop:

If memory serves, that's one of the many neat features added by Content Manager. It's good poo poo!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

If memory serves, that's one of the many neat features added by Content Manager. It's good poo poo!

People have too much time on their hands. But I appreciate it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Dude's patreon is at over 7000 bucks a month, he's being well rewarded for his time. The fact he can pull that imo also shows just how much ahead AC is in the single player space, and that you're not gonna compete with that for the next decade unless your sims is just as moddable.

Edit: Btw, the next release of CM/CSP solves AC's problem with the physics going wonky on large tracks, finally you can have a Targa Florio without your wheel rattling if you're too far away from 0,0,0.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 31, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Dude's patreon is at over 7000 bucks a month, he's being well rewarded for his time. The fact he can pull that imo also shows just how much ahead AC is in the single player space, and that you're not gonna compete with that for the next decade unless your sims is just as moddable.

Edit: Btw, the next release of CM/CSP solves AC's problem with the physics going wonky on large tracks, finally you can have a Targa Florio without your wheel rattling if you're too far away from 0,0,0.

If I ever actually get serious about making one it would be open source so :v:

And yeah I saw that. It works okay but the physics in AC is still pretty wonky when everything isn't completely perfect. It's just less bad now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

AC is bang on other than curbs for me. I really, really rate it.

Does anyone know when Donny update is coming to Xbox I’m so excited!!!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a Dirt Rally 2.0 copy to gift (steam copy). Anyone want it? Reply here and PM me your email and I'll send the link along.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Dirt 2.0 is discounted 75% on Steam btw. Got all seasons for 10 Euro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DR2.0 is also in the current Humble Bundle, as is Assetto Corsa Ultimate for £9 which is a required purchase if you don't already have it. Also Nascar Heat 5 which is apparently alright if you get it cheap and Kartkraft which somehow is still actively being developed because it got absorbed into the Motorsport Games singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

I have a Dirt Rally 2.0 copy to gift (steam copy). Anyone want it? Reply here and PM me your email and I'll send the link along.

I'll take it, if you still have it, pm sent