Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

they will probably have to dredge out a shitload of earth around the bow it's gonna take forever :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

indigi posted:

does the Suez Canal not have locks?

sea level unlike the Panama Canal

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Prediction: It's going to get stuck again

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
They should build a canal through the ship!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just fill up the boat with loving helium

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
There is no altitude difference that would require lifting ships so no the Suez Canal does not operate with locks

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Marzzle posted:

they will probably have to dredge out a shitload of earth around the bow it's gonna take forever :twisted:

They've got a suction dredger on site now that can do 2000 m^3/hr and they estimate they need to dredge 20000 m^3 so idk

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

you just unload the heaviest ones to 44k lbs then have them drop off a few empties to put the extra cargo on. bing bong simple

Dead serious my guess is they end up doing something like this. I really don't see a crane getting them off where it is but I could be very wrong.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

indigi posted:

does the Suez Canal not have locks?

Interestingly, the concept of a water lock was invented for the canal’s predecessor, the canal of the Pharaohs, but that was to keep salt water from entering the Nile. The modern Suez has no locks!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

We need Elon Musk to build an underground canal for submarines and small boats to go under the blockages

blast him out a cannon at it looney toons style.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we're gonna have another toilet paper terror aren't we

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

It's like groundhog day!
6 more weeks of trade nightmare!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

SplitSoul posted:

ONE DAY I WOKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAMMED A MASSIVE CONTAINER SHIP INTO THE SUEZ CANAL. ITS JUST-IN-TIME MANUFACTURING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE GLOBAL TRADE STOPPED MOVING ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, EVER GIVEN. THEY TRIED EVERY MOVE AND THEY TRIED EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN EXASPERATED SOUNDS AS THEY UNEARTHED THE BOW AND EVEN WHEN THE TUGBOATS MESSED UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CAUSED A 9.6 BILLION DOLLAR A DAY CRISIS IN INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO INVESTORS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE INVESTORS NEED TO DIVERSIFY THEIR PORTFOLIOS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE ROUTES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY WATERWAY LESS LONELY BY BLOCKING ITS TRAFFIC. 3 WEEKS EXCLUDING UNLOADIng

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Zurtilik posted:

They should build a canal through the ship!

This is the best solution. Leave that fucker there as a reminder of man's hubris.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

the really funny part is that we'll forget about this in 3 weeks when the next black swan event occurs

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

Imagine being the guy in charge of directing canal traffic and every morning you wake up thinking "Is that fuckin boat still there" and the answer is yes and furthermore it's your problem now

he lies awake in bed. 4:30 AM. another sleepless night. is the boat still there?

*rises out of bed and throws back the curtains*

yes. the boat is still there. it may stay with you the rest of your days at this rate.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

jetz0r posted:

the really funny part is that we'll forget about this in 3 weeks when the next black swan event occurs

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Hatebag posted:

They've got a suction dredger on site now that can do 2000 m^3/hr and they estimate they need to dredge 20000 m^3 so idk

well in 10 hours it should all be over

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

indigi posted:

just fill up the boat with loving helium

nah use hydrogen. its twice as light

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

jetz0r posted:

I never forgot Flight 370!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone found a manifest of what the ship is carrying? I really want it to be, like, a million funkopops. I know it's probably a boring answer like mostly packaged food and electronics.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

we're gonna have another toilet paper terror aren't we

all the TP pulp comes from deforesting the Amazon in Brazil, so it should be fine

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hatebag posted:

remember the earth boring machine in Seattle that got stuck for like a year because of an errant pipe?

well,

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Chamale posted:

Has anyone found a manifest of what the ship is carrying? I really want it to be, like, a million funkopops. I know it's probably a boring answer like mostly packaged food and electronics.

My Gunpla :(

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chamale posted:

hundreds upon hundreds of collectible goku's

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

twoday posted:

all the TP pulp comes from deforesting the Amazon in Brazil, so it should be fine

I thought it was Canada?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

every single NVIDIA graphics card ever made. in the entire world. the entire shipment is on that tanker.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/25/facebook-posts/evergreen-ship-blocking-suez-canal-not-linked-hill/

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

if nothing else, we're getting some good memes out of this

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1375478311455981568

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
- put a board on a barrel
- put one end of the board under the boat
- jump up and down on the other end of the board

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Many people are asking

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Victory Position posted:

every single NVIDIA graphics card ever made. in the entire world. the entire shipment is on that tanker.

what if they just set up a turbine on the boat to power the graphics cards and mine bitcoins to pay for a new canal

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

blatman posted:

what if they just set up a turbine on the boat to power the graphics cards and mine bitcoins to pay for a new canal

I feel a disruption... deep in my bones...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

So how corrupt is this "Suez Canal Authority" considering the billions and billions that go through their gates and their response is to send one digger?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

I thought it was Canada?

that was the case in like 2015

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gorson posted:

So how corrupt is this "Suez Canal Authority" considering the billions and billions that go through their gates and their response is to send one digger?

I truly think they just had no contingency plans for something like this and it's not necessarily corruption

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

indigi posted:

I truly think they just had no contingency plans for something like this and it's not necessarily corruption

Not having contingency plans is 100% corruption. That's what the money is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

blatman posted:

the seasteading 2 thread is off to a great start