Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

zuffenphile posted:

fair enough, sometimes I come across 8-9-8's at a good price, not trying to solicit here, but will let you know....

not familiar with the Maduro no 3's......please tell me more....

They are pricey but worth it

This is a review of the no1 but it is pretty close to what my experience was with the no3

https://allthingscigars.medium.com/cigar-review-wednesdays-partagas-maduro-no-1-59300d7ede3c

I have 4 left and I plan on letting them sleep for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

They are pricey but worth it

This is a review of the no1 but it is pretty close to what my experience was with the no3

https://allthingscigars.medium.com/cigar-review-wednesdays-partagas-maduro-no-1-59300d7ede3c

I have 4 left and I plan on letting them sleep for a while.

i feel like a have been missing something from my life, they look yummy......I am now on a quest for some of these. I will not be thwarted....DM you....

zuffenphile fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 24, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
They aren’t too hard to find. If you need any help shoot me a PM.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Enjoying an early evening La Aurora Preferidos Ruby tonight. Last time I smoked one as a second cigar and it didn't stand out much, this time I'm really enjoying it. It's chocolately, sweet, a bit oaky, and has a lovely note of perfume underneath it all. Very relaxing.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
It took me way too long to realize that actually wasn't an incredibly poorly designed coffee mug

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I might be late to the party with this reply, but this article: https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/life-after-mcclelland outlines some possible replacements for the Morton Frog blends you enjoy, but can no longer get. The article explains the specific reasons why you'll probably never get a one-to-one replacement, but has some excellent starting points to find something that may fit your palate.

Very cool. Got it bookmarked for reading tonight, but first look seems right up my alley!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Cro-Magnon Aquitaine and it was interesting. I guess it’s an Ecuadorian Habano Ligero wrapper, the wrapper itself was almost spicy and felt sort of dusty, almost like wasabi peas or something. I honestly don’t even remember the flavors of the cigar, pepper and spice for sure, it was okay though.

I need to dredge through my memory to remember what I smoked over the last couple of days so I keep my Something Awful (tm) Cigar Log up to date.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I went back to the Southern Draws tonight and had the Kudzu. Pretty drat good as I've come to expect. Burns went a little wonk in the last third, particularly on Nexein's stick, but overall it was real good.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nothing new to report here, but very pleased that the Illusione Rothschild and La Aurora 115 Belicoso I've had today are exceptional. Really great way to make a day special!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Toxteth OGrady posted:

I asked about snuff a while ago, but got no takers. Think it's just me and you with the brown boogers
Well, here's to the booger alliance, then. Anything you particularly like? I've been buying my way though the local tobacco stores and one my favourites so far is McChrystals Original. It's a fairly simple menthol snuff, but the undertones of camphor and eucalyptus make it really pleasant to me. Not aggressive in the nose, but it really clears your sinuses.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The snuff degenerates are welcome in the thread. We are all servants of the devil weed in one fashion or another.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

The snuff degenerates are welcome in the thread. We are all servants of the devil weed in one fashion or another.

I have a CPAP machine (that I hate) that dries out my nose. My friend at the Tinderbox turned me on to snuff a couple of years ago. I ain’t home now, but I know it’s a “mint” taste in the back of my throat. I’ll use a very small pinch to open up my nose most mornings before I put my contacts in.

Brown Booger club fo-Evan!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
It's a balmy 70 here so I'm fighting 20+ mph winds, AND trying to play Monster Hunter, and this stupid little no name habano is performing way better than it has any right to; spicy and creamy and nutty in all the right ways. One of cigarpage's overrun bundle sticks we bought, I dunno maybe six months ago?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I got some 2016 monte 4s and some 2018 magnum 46s in the mail today (as well as some freebies in the order) If the weather holds I’ll smoke a mag 46, if it stays windy, one of the freebies.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nexein posted:

It's a balmy 70 here so I'm fighting 20+ mph winds, AND trying to play Monster Hunter, and this stupid little no name habano is performing way better than it has any right to; spicy and creamy and nutty in all the right ways. One of cigarpage's overrun bundle sticks we bought, I dunno maybe six months ago?

I never had much trouble during smoking of a cigar in the wind, but I had to learn to light a cigar with my pipe-lighter from Zippo. Works well during a beach trip (precovid of course 🤢).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I asked about those special edition Lunar New Year Punch cigars, and I managed to snag one at Binny's. I had really enjoyed the last two years, so I kept a little log while I smoked it:

Enter the fist!

For the uninitiated, the last few years Punch have released Lunar New Year themed cigars. Two years ago was the first with the egg roll (robusto), last year had the chop suey (lancero), and this year has the kung pow! The sticks are sold in little dress boxes that are shaped like takeout boxes. It's very charming.

Prelight

The last two years were all shagfoot cigars, and this year is no different. It is much larger than the last two years, coming in at 6" x 50, a toro. The larger vitola also accounts for the price discrepancy compared to the last two years - in G*D's own Chicago, it's around $7, where the last two years were around $4.

The wrapper smells leathery, and is quite taut. If I hadn't pulled it out of a nice humidor or known that these had been around for a month or two I might have wondered if it was ready. I may regret my assumption later on!

The shagfoot smells of milk chocolate and cedar. It's very mellow smelling. The cap clips quickly, leaving trace milk chocolate with much more potent earth-after-rain smells. The dry pull is a little creamy with strong notes of paprika and black pepper. Exciting! I quite enjyed the spice of the last few years, so let's jump right on in.

First Third

Very intense black pepper to kick it off. Shagfoot cigars are so fun because you can tell how much the wrapper changes the smoke when you get to it. There's only about a half inch of shag, but it's become much saltier right before it catches the wrapper. It becomes sweeter with leather pulling in as the wrapper catches. This strong peppery flavor is reminding me of something - The Judge, perhaps? Part of me is uncomfortable with the comparison - Garcias compared to General Cigar?

Alas, the comparison is apt for a few beautiful puffs. As the burn settles more into the wrapper. It's still good, though, with a great leathery tone coming to the fore. This third is closing soon, but after letting it rest a bit I got a smoky, meaty, rosewater flavor. Which sounds weird, but it's really good - almost like an herb-infused steak.

Second Third

There's a bit of a stone fruit flavor coming in, which I hear a lot on other reviews but haven't really experienced myself. This has actually marked a swing into creamier territory, transitioning from a dominant savory/smoky one.

Steakiness is really the standout descriptor at this point. I'm quite pleased that I have a full stomach for this thing. It's staying at this creamy/buttery steak and black pepper place, and it is truly delightful to have a rest here.

This third is wrapping, but it is closing in on a very distinctly Nicaraguan profile. Salty, spicy, chocolatey. That's a great way to close out this third and enter the last.

Third Third

Red fruit sweetness complements the rather robust nature of the stick. Almost tastes like licorice and beef jerky had a baby. I know, these sound heinous but the flavors are working. Right at the very end, there's a hibiscus, citrus, juniper flavor. What a delicious digestif!

Conclusion

This thing can't hold an ash for poo poo. This is normally something that's not a problem, but I was smoking inside and it was messy. Overall, the smoke was enjoyable, however I think the toro vitola had it overstay its welcome. I'm not sure, though, if that last floral blast would have happened.

Would I buy this again? Unsure. At $7, it's not particularly expensive, but it also isn't particularly stunning. I did enjoy it, but I'm not sure that there aren't other things I would enjoy more with my money.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Fired up the 2016 monte 4. I’m glad I didn’t snag those diplo 4s because for less than half the price I got something that is actually more enjoyable.

I may have to buy out the sources remainder of the box.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, here's to the booger alliance, then. Anything you particularly like? I've been buying my way though the local tobacco stores and one my favourites so far is McChrystals Original. It's a fairly simple menthol snuff, but the undertones of camphor and eucalyptus make it really pleasant to me. Not aggressive in the nose, but it really clears your sinuses.
McChrystals O&G is nice, my current favourites are Wilson's of Sharrow crumbs of comfort, spear and plain. Dr rumneys green is the nicest I've tried recently, menthol and aniseed, but doesn't blow your head off with it like some (looking at you M. Root). Might try some Indian snuffs next, I've only had the 6 photo Mysore sandalwood which is a bit overpowering.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Toxteth OGrady posted:

Dr rumneys green is the nicest I've tried recently, menthol and aniseed, but doesn't blow your head off with it like some (looking at you M. Root).
If you like menthol and aniseed, the Pöschl Löwenprise might be something for you. It's one of my favourite brands of theirs. Spicy, but not aggressively so. It's a smooth and long-lasting aniseed flavour.

I haven't tried Indian snuffs yet. I could get some Dholakia here fairly cheap, but the aromatizations offered all seem fairly boring.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

If you like menthol and aniseed, the Pöschl Löwenprise might be something for you. It's one of my favourite brands of theirs. Spicy, but not aggressively so. It's a smooth and long-lasting aniseed flavour.

I haven't tried Indian snuffs yet. I could get some Dholakia here fairly cheap, but the aromatizations offered all seem fairly boring.

Yea, Löwenprise is great, if a tad more coarse than I prefer.

Pipewise, I'm trying some brown twist aniseed. Strong stuff but I've just eaten and I have a huge tolerance. It's great. Stout and old fashioned, but tasty. Bit of a pain to prepare but unlikely to smoke it regularly so no problem really.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Toxteth OGrady posted:

Yea, Löwenprise is great, if a tad more coarse than I prefer.
I've got a very "open" nose so I prefer coarse, heavy snuffs. The finer stuff goes right through into my throat, which is just really unpleasant. I bought a tin of Jaxon's Spanish once and I just can't use it, it's like inhaling a throat full of powdered citrus. Speaking of Jaxon's, their raspberry menthol snuff is pretty nice.

e: ordered some of the Indian stuff, I'll give you guys a trip report on arrival.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 27, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Outside sans jacket with a Joya de Nicaragua cabinetta and some Glenfarclas 12. The stick is a pretty basic connecticut but you get some dark fruit and some other flavors from the darker wrapper at the head. I like these quite a bit. The Glenfarclas is good-I usually go for islays so this is real basic "scotch" flavored scotch, but it's smooth and tasty.

I could definitely get used to this whole not working on the weekend thing.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Edit: disregard, I am bad at reading

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I found an old can of Rattrays Red Rapparee that I must have opened it 10 years ago. Super dried out, but I thought what the hell and smoked a couple of bowls. A different beast now, smoother, and the virginias come out stronger. The latakia mellowed a bit but became more smokehouse and less acrid. Really a happy find!

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
After mourning McClelland 3 years after the fact, I picked up a tin of Peterson's Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe and C&Ds Kajun Kake, all three of which are quite nice. Indeed I will probably explore more of both companies stuff next time I place an order.

Edit: Question for you pipe smokers in the thread, do you all smoke different types of blends (ie. latakia vs perique vs whatever) in different pipes?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I only smoke the occasional pipe (no that much experience with different tobaccos, I like a local manufacturer's in-house brand) but I asked folks in the tobacco store about this once and was told that it's like having different kettles for certain blends of tea - it will give you a cleaner and more distinct aroma, but letting the aroma of previous brews build up and grow into something special and unique to you is part of the point to some people. You can do it, but you don't have to.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I smash all those babies in together with little to no regard for anyone's concept of decency :v:

I do have a few pipes where I really love how certain blends smoke in them and will "save" those blends for when the pipe comes up in rotation, but that's about it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Giggle Goose posted:

After mourning McClelland 3 years after the fact, I picked up a tin of Peterson's Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe and C&Ds Kajun Kake, all three of which are quite nice. Indeed I will probably explore more of both companies stuff next time I place an order.

Edit: Question for you pipe smokers in the thread, do you all smoke different types of blends (ie. latakia vs perique vs whatever) in different pipes?

I have enough pipes to smoke all my various blends and tins in their own dedicated pipe. If I want to try something new or smoke something from home that I know is likely to ghost, I smoke it in a corncob. No fuss! :discourse:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

My favorite regular production cigars (in order).

1. LGC MDO2
2. diplomaticios no 4
3. RASS
4. Bolivar PC
5. R&J short Churchill

The first two aren’t made anymore unfortunately. At least the other three you can get for a moderate price these days.

I guess the scuttlebutt on FoH is that the LGC MdO4 may be back in production so maybe there’s hope for the MdO2?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I should pop into FOH I haven’t posted in there for 8 years but I still talk to a few of the members from Canada.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking a LFD La Nox and I want to really like it but it just isn’t doing it for me. It’s not bad but it’s almost great, it may just be burning a little too hot because it sort of feels harsh. I don’t know. I also smoked a Warped Maestro del Tiempo which was nice, Crowned Heads Four Kicks maduro, and some other stuff I’m forgetting probably.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Toss it. Life is too short for bad cigars.

I’ll always give a brand/marca a second chance but I won’t power through a cigar that is gross/smoking hot/plugged to hell.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

I guess the scuttlebutt on FoH is that the LGC MdO4 may be back in production so maybe there’s hope for the MdO2?

Oh hell yeah, I've only got 3 left of my MdO4s.

Getting a long-overdue cigar project knocked out today at the makerspace. Gonna put some walls on my humidor shelves so I can cram in a bunch more. The more skeletal box on the right is for my friend:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Tatuaje ME was okay, I have the MEII, and some ME Capa Especial that I also picked up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Been absent from the thread a bit. Smoked a Nub Cameroon 464 BTP tonight and it was as delicious as I'd hoped. Had a bit more trouble with the burn and draw tonight vs. the last few times, but the flavor was still excellent, very sweet, rich, and leathery. I think this is quickly becoming my favorite Nub.

Early last week I met up with my buddies and we tried to smoke the Hamlet Liberation shagfoot toros. They might have just been severely under-hydrated, but we all had issues with cracking, and I had a terrible time with my combustion. It's weird because they've been in the humidor for around a month. We gave up after around an inch, just inside the shagfoot. I have one more to try, but I'm going to leave it for a while to see if another couple months in the box straighten it out. That was disappointing, but the Padron panatelas smoked perfectly. They were sweeter and milder than the 2000s, and the consensus was that while the lancero form factor was very elegant, the overall experience was better with the 2000s. Not mad to have snagged a box though, especially since the per stick cost came out to like $4.80 with the discount.

On Saturday last I went over to a friend's backyard. I'd brought over way too many cigars (because I can never decide what to bring to smoke), so when a couple of her friends came by I got to show off and offer a couple of them nice cigars. It's quite a powerful move to have a selection of different cigars to share around. Now that I'm vaccinated I'm looking forward to being able to do this sort of thing a bit more often. The La Aurora Preferidos coronas are excellent sharing cigars, especially the gold and the sapphire.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
LCA Trail Mix is real good. Legit captures the feels of trail mix for me, vanilla, cream, sweetness, nuts, fruit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Also been absent. My Montefortuna order is just taking forever to update. I should have thought a little harder about COVID shipping times!

It's been a bit of a rough week and change, so I decided to treat myself to a cigar page order. Picked up some La Aroma de Cuba Rothschildes, Curivari Buenaventuras, and finally one of those Nicaraguan overruns, this one in the lancero format. I'll set aside five of them to open in six months or something, but I'm already excited to try some.

Tonight, though, to help lift my spirits, I'll be having a cigar I've been sitting on for a year or so: a Vegas Robaina Clasico. I've never had the marca before, so I'm really looking forward to it.

E: this is loving delicious. Red wine, salt, cedar, toasted.... Something. Fantastic. And in a Lonsdale!

Ee: just got a blast of cinnamon, allspice, and clove. loving fabulous.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 31, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Giggle Goose posted:

I only smoke flake in big bowls - small bowls only get ribbon cut. That's about as far as I pay attention to it though. I more chose the pipe based on where I'll be smoking/how long I want to be smoking.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Caldwell Long Live The King is a super easy to smoke cigar with a light but interesting flavor profile, I could see this going into the humidor rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Going in on a LAdC Mi Amor Belicoso tonight, had occasion to go to Binny's and decided to treat myself.

It certainly smells nuttier than the standard. Funkier, too. Might be tough to beat the regular though, I loved that thing.