Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Raeg posted:

I just cannot imagine who this party is for

Alex Salmond, obvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

therattle posted:

Alex Salmond, obvs.

The only political leader to ever achieve a majority in Scotland!

(This was actually in his press release)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Raeg posted:

The only political leader to ever achieve a majority in Scotland!

(This was actually in his press release)

ah yes, scotland's tony blair

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Blasmeister posted:

UC right now is as manageable as it’s ever going to be, should amount to a 5 minute phone call every other week and writing a sentence in an online journal every few days

It's not even that for me. I've not even logged into the website for months and I ignore the calls and they've stopped trying but I'm still getting paid.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Venomous posted:

yeah, I moved back in December b/c I ran out of money, I've been burned out of my postgrad, and my overall mental health has become considerably shittier in the past year lmao

oof bud, i'm sorry. yeah remote learning is...different.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Angepain posted:

ah yes, scotland's tony blair

surely scotlands tony blair is still tony blair.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jaete posted:

lol, how

they were making massive losses every day from day 1

Isn't that because it was just a giant scam for the founder to acquire property using other people's money?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

therattle posted:

Alex Salmond, obvs.

Ageing white males, like all the other parties.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Isn't that because it was just a giant scam for the founder to acquire property using other people's money?

Yeah but even without that they were never going to be able to turn a profit. Short-lease and coworking office space is already A Thing, and a market that's already ruthlessly competitive without even the "Thing that exists, but ignoring laws" option that Uber and the rest of SV take. Most importantly it's a market with very little elasticity - Uber could pretend that with driverless cars and other handwavy bullshit they could cut the cost of minicab fares to the point where people would abandon private cars and public transport, vastly expanding the market, but you can pack your office space with as many beer taps and beanbags as possible but ultimately the market is the size it is and isn't going to change. The only path to profit for WeWork was to literally take over every office building in the world then jack their prices up, and even the Saudis and Softbank don't have that much cash kicking around.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAII/status/1375487467651002373?s=19

This whole thing feels like The NWO spin off that had all the shite NWO members like Jeff Jarrett and Virgil.

Edit: lol its a troll but probably not for long

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

This whole thing feels like The NWO spin off that had all the shite NWO members like Jeff Jarrett and Virgil.

look closer at the account that tweeted it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having now received my first covid jab I am hereby pledging that we must open the pubs tomorrow and make attendence mandatory and also everyone should buy a windows phone.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Having now received my first covid jab I am hereby pledging that we must open the pubs tomorrow and make attendence mandatory and also everyone should buy a windows phone.

Yay! Remember to be plugged in overnight so the software can update.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

PATA PATA PATA PON.

This means PON PON PATA PON.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
(I said "oh good, a fever" sarcastically a day after the jab and it got Desert Crossing stuck in my head for the entire day. Clearly the Sony microchip. Microsoft must have ran into supply bottlenecks.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't drink.

I've wanted a new phone, but all of them are rental contracts-simply 'buying' a phone seems to have disappeared.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Edit: lol its a troll but probably not for long

Very very good trolling, haha :D

Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloodly posted:

I don't drink.

I've wanted a new phone, but all of them are rental contracts-simply 'buying' a phone seems to have disappeared.

At some point I am going to have to see if I can get some kind of huawei cheapo thing so I can send xi jinping saucy photographs and also my bank details.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I got a mid-range Huawei on offer for about 300 quid all in and it's really bloody good for that price. You get way more for your money than you do with Apple or Samsung or whatever.

I felt so burnt when I found out how much over the odds you're paying when you get a contract. After the initial cost I've got an unlimited data sim only contract with smarty for 20 quid a month. If you use less you can get 30gb for a tenner, which is more than most people could use. It's incredible.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 26, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

It's not even that for me. I've not even logged into the website for months and I ignore the calls and they've stopped trying but I'm still getting paid.

the DWP are checking everyone who claimed since March 2020 and suspending people who they can't get in contact with on three occasions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NfXsaihrag

Watch out for these sleekit twats.

edit: spelling

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cheapest one of those is £17 a month on Vodafone for 5gb of data - My contract is up July and I’ve been a lookin’

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

Cheapest one of those is £17 a month on Vodafone for 5gb of data - My contract is up July and I’ve been a lookin’

You can get 8gb for 7 quid or 4gb for 6 quid with smarty.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Assuming that you're not looking for an ultta-premium phone, just buy an iPhone SE from Apple direct for £399 or a Pixel 4a from Google direct for £309, both of which are available on 24months interest free ATM.

Then throw in a super cheap sim-only SIM (Giff Gaff and Smarty are both decent for this) and be done with it.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Communist Bear posted:

Very very good trolling, haha :D

Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Not the only SNP defector

https://twitter.com/SteelONeill/status/1364673449596174342?s=20

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

After Christmas 2019 I got a 100gb contract with Three, and in the following collapse of civilisation where I'm either at home on the wifi or at work on the wifi I've used maybe 2 or 3 gb a month lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blunt posted:

Assuming that you're not looking for an ultta-premium phone, just buy an iPhone SE from Apple direct for £399 or a Pixel 4a from Google direct for £309, both of which are available on 24months interest free ATM.

Then throw in a super cheap sim-only SIM (Giff Gaff and Smarty are both decent for this) and be done with it.

In my case "a phone that can load a web browser" would be a step up.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

kecske posted:

After Christmas 2019 I got a 100gb contract with Three, and in the following collapse of civilisation where I'm either at home on the wifi or at work on the wifi I've used maybe 2 or 3 gb a month lol

I just use my phone as a hot-spot for the flat and don't pay for wifi anymore

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jaete posted:

lol, how

they were making massive losses every day from day 1
No I just mean it was an incredibly dumb idea propped up by Saudi money laundering and stock market fuckery, and by the time the one circumstance that could have propped it up (post pandemic semi remote working) rolled round, they'd already collapsed and run off with what little investor money was left.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kecske posted:

That's all I use a month too. I think they changed some of the things that don't count against your allowance, and the result is that I've gone from 10gb a month usage under EE to 2gb with Three.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bloodly posted:

I don't drink.

I bought a new phone a couple of weeks ago. Brand new, £17.75 from Amazon. Does calls and texts, got 'snake' and a radio on it. Also Dual Sim. No contract needed ;) Doesn't do anything internety mind you :D

I do need to get a new smartphone as well and looking at some around £70-£80 on Amazon or possibly up to £130.

Depends what you want. Look up Ulefone, £50-£100 on Amazon (:guillotine:)

(Sim free)

(I assumed from your post that you were talking about the phone itself and would keep whatever contract you're on or PAYG you're on.)
It's getting much harder to get PAYG and companies are phasing them out. I'm still on one for O2 but they're trying to push me to get a £5 a month contract - why spend £60 per annum when I top up £10 or £20 per year? (I have a mifi and a homehub with 3 for my internet and backup & holidays internet, and also can sign in to mum's BT to get wifi if Three is completely down - 2 days last August and 1 day this year so far).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 26, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm on 17 quid a month for unlimited everything from Giffgaff, never had a problem with them in the years I've been with them.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No I just mean it was an incredibly dumb idea propped up by Saudi money laundering and stock market fuckery, and by the time the one circumstance that could have propped it up (post pandemic semi remote working) rolled round, they'd already collapsed and run off with what little investor money was left.

Yeah it worked, sure, but that doesn't make it a "functional business", it was only ever going to be "functional" in the sense that the founder is a literal billionaire while the investors see the company go bankrupt and their investment vanish

...not sure if that's even a completely 100% bad thing now that I think about it, it's kinda like a transfer of wealth from VC people to... well the founder mostly, and other cunts lol, but maybe a few people got a salary for while or I dunno :shrug:

Wonder what percentage of all the billions and billions of cash money went to total cunts vs. what percentage went to the relatively normal ordinary workers and so on

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jaete posted:

Yeah it worked, sure, but that doesn't make it a "functional business", it was only ever going to be "functional" in the sense that the founder is a literal billionaire while the investors see the company go bankrupt and their investment vanish
I'm not sure if I worded it badly initially or not, but I don't think it ever was functional as anything other than an investor scam. What's funny is that it might have been functional if they'd held on to the end of the pandemic, but by that point they'd already long ago crashed their share prices and cut & run with the last of the investor money.

Kind of like 'this will be great if people ever need to blend home working with office work' and by the time that one in a million circumstance actually came round they'd already firmly salted the earth behind them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

kecske posted:

I tend to use most of my data (9 of 12GB with 7 days to go) but I've used 15 of my 5000 minutes and 4 of my 5000 texts. 6.5 years ago when I switched I had 750 minutes and 5000 texts a month; in all the time since then I think I've probably barely gone over that original minute allowance and got nowhere near the text allowance.

Basically I check SA too much and have a very low communication drive (I've yet to met a silence I found uncomfortable).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I assume most people just message via WhatsApp now anyway. If I get an SMS it's probably a scam, a pizza place offering a half price meal deal, or a reminder to give blood. Maybe all three?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FTR being on the dole isn't that big of a problem atm - used to be every two weeks I had to go into the JC+ and be told I'm a skiver whereas now I get a call once a month that's over in like 2 minutes. In my case I'm Doing A Course so it's less of an issue.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In the same way email became something that only formal / spam uses, texts are going the same way.

Too many times when I know my wife sent me something, I need to check if she texted me, WhatsApped it, FB Messenger, Discord PM for our D&D group etc. There might be more, I can't remember. She briefly got into twitter last year and then recoiled in horror.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

UC is messed up if you're married or in a relationship, because you have to do all the bullshit but you only get the £24 a month emergency rate if your partner works more than £16 a week.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In the same way email became something that only formal / spam uses, texts are going the same way.

Too many times when I know my wife sent me something, I need to check if she texted me, WhatsApped it, FB Messenger, Discord PM for our D&D group etc. There might be more, I can't remember. She briefly got into twitter last year and then recoiled in horror.

When people message me in a different app I just reply in whatsapp, eventually they get onboard