Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Red Scabbards continue to have an excellent group dynamic. Of course Ashura Doji would be the one to see through the deception; he’s always been the most cynical member of them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

With everyone peeling off/getting blown up, and Orochi being back in the game, this feels like it's leading up to Kinemon being the last samurai standing in front of Kaido, and being able to deliver a blow worthy of Oden - maybe not enough to take down Kaido, but enough for Luffy to deliver the finisher.

But really, who the gently caress knows at this point, this is hands down the most chaotic that One Piece has ever been.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Wait...if that was a Kanjuro drawing, then who healed the scabbards?!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Oda drew the pain on Kinemon’s face incredibly well this week. I really feel for him. They should update that Tumblr meme about One Piece backstories to be about Kin because this guy somehow used to be a pair of horny farting legs.

It wasn’t just Kinemon; seeing each Scabbards’ face jump instantly to hope broke my heart, and the panels after the explosion are just devastating.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

Wait...if that was a Kanjuro drawing, then who healed the scabbards?!

I assume it's still Hiyori and that she skedaddled before anyone could find her.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kanjuro healing everyone up just so he could show them their dead master would be so brilliantly hosed up on his part lol

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

tbp posted:

momo is def gonna be really important eventually in some way, him having some sick natural born haki abilities might be how he gets into relevance. didn't yamato say he was going to be the one that brings about the dawn of the world?

anyways, great chapter. the scabbard storyline remains my favorite - oda does such a fantastically good job showing you their devotion and love for the man that saved their lives, you can legitimately see in kinemon and co.s face the happiness when they thought he was alive for a moment. the contrast, then, to the pain in ashura's is so stark

i'm guessing it's the 'hearing the voice of all things' thing that's going to be most relevant with momo, idk whether that's what's happening here though or if it's just haki

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kaido’s hybrid form is pretty underwhelming. Not really worth it being in shadow and used as a cliffhanger a few chapters ago.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Kaido’s hybrid form is pretty underwhelming. Not really worth it being in shadow and used as a cliffhanger a few chapters ago.

tbf it might look better in color, it kinda sorta looks like his tattoos are his dragon scales now which is sick if so but that doesn’t shine in one black and white image.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Luffy looking seriously wild-eyed here. What a great chapter!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Orochi is such a shithead. No plan to actually get revenge on Kaido, he's just going to murder as many people as possible before he dies. I love how everyone of Wano recognizes he's just an irredeemable coward and that Kaido is the true usurper. I hope Momo masters his dragon fruit and deals the final blow to him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ethiser posted:

yeah I would have preferred if his full body was dragon instead of it just being his head and shoulders. Overall I did enjoy the chapter, really happy to be right about Orochi being alive, Kanjuro being alive feels odd, did O-kiku not confirm if he was dead back at the start of act 3? And while I talked about the chapter with other people, most people aren't feeling the weight of Ashura's sacrifice, and don't believe him to be dead, cuz oda quite literally brought back 2 "dead" characters this chapter, so it's hard to take Ashura's "death" so seriously. I think I would like it if some of the scabbards and other named characters started dying in this arc—without that weight, a lot of the drama and stakes haven't felt really weighty for me. It would also allow for Wano to maintain a 5 act structure, which would be my preference.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
1) I knew it
2) I KNEW IT.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ashura Doji was stabbed before he was exploded. This either means that he’s super dead, or that explosions will be revealed to have healing powers when he miraculously survives like Pell did

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
asura's probably alive, but not active for the rest of the arc. i think we're going to see all of the scabbards get taken out of the picture one by one as the strawhats start moving into the picture

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

excited for sanji's fight with

queen
black maria
jack
orochi ??

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone think Yamato is gonna be revealed to be Big Mom's Son too?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i would believe black maria is the mom

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

oddium posted:

queen
black maria
jack
orochi ??

I'm assuming Sanji will fight Queen; I don't see Chopper winning against Queen, and I assume Drake will have his hands full with Apoo and Perospero.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I actually think Sanji fights either King or Queen since aren't btoh connected to his dad via science stuff?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm assuming Sanji will fight Queen; I don't see Chopper winning against Queen, and I assume Drake will have his hands full with Apoo and Perospero.

I don't really think Apoo and Drake working together could beat Perospero. Perospero and Apoo together vs. Drake would be a stomp. Happy to be proven wrong, though! (I don't like Perospero.)

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I’m absolutely sure that Ashura is dead. His charred corpse is shown with the sword stuck in the ground. The chapter title is also his name as well. It would be annoying as hell if he somehow survived this as no one important has died in this arc yet

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

oddium posted:

i would believe black maria is the mom

Data books/timeline stuff tells us that Yamato is 27 and Black Maria is 29. So no, that wouldn't work.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i would believe they're family

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, do we have any idea why/how Orochi is still alive?

Glad they nipped the Oden thing in the bud right off the bat though, I’m also hoping we cut back to the Robin fight soon as well.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 26, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

Glad they nipped the Oden thing in the bud right off the bat though, I’m also hoping we cut back to the Robin fight soon as well.

he died by decapitation and his devil fruit gives him multiple heads. not really that complicated even if it's not explained

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 26, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Desperate Character posted:

I’m absolutely sure that Ashura is dead. His charred corpse is shown with the sword stuck in the ground. The chapter title is also his name as well. It would be annoying as hell if he somehow survived this as no one important has died in this arc yet

Are you new to One Piece?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Echoing the underwhelming sentiment to hybrid Kaido. I'm sure the scales will look better in color but the teeth really bother me. Then it made me think that of all the Zoan characters there are maybe 2 whose hybrid forms don't look super goofy and weird so I guess it comes with the territory.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

You should be more liberal with your use of spoiler tags, not less. It was pretty obvious to glean what happened in the chapter from the context of the rest of your post, even with the spoiler tags on the one part.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oddium posted:

queen
black maria
jack
orochi ??

Jack will probably beat Inurashi and Sanji will come in, to take over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

You should be more liberal with your use of spoiler tags, not less. It was pretty obvious to glean what happened in the chapter from the context of the rest of your post, even with the spoiler tags on the one part.

Fair enough, sorry

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
idk kaidou reminds me of lucci, who also looked a bit goofy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Julias posted:

yeah I would have preferred if his full body was dragon instead of it just being his head and shoulders. Overall I did enjoy the chapter, really happy to be right about Orochi being alive, Kanjuro being alive feels odd, did O-kiku not confirm if he was dead back at the start of act 3? And while I talked about the chapter with other people, most people aren't feeling the weight of Ashura's sacrifice, and don't believe him to be dead, cuz oda quite literally brought back 2 "dead" characters this chapter, so it's hard to take Ashura's "death" so seriously. I think I would like it if some of the scabbards and other named characters started dying in this arc—without that weight, a lot of the drama and stakes haven't felt really weighty for me. It would also allow for Wano to maintain a 5 act structure, which would be my preference.

Things lacking a lot of weight when they happen is an ongoing issue of how Oda tells the story. Later, after an arc or further down the road, you'll look at things differently. However, in the short term nobody takes any instances of "OH NO, [character] IS DEAD!!" seriously. Pell me once, shame on you. Pell me...can't get Pell'd again.

We're still only sitting at Pedro probably being dead. Whitebeard could even still be powering up from the Blackbeard Pirates' ultimate Squard stab.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think i can speak for alot of people when i say Thank god Orochi is not dead. He is the best villain we've had in one piece since Spandam in terms of being a completely unlikeable character without any redeeming qualities. Comes across amazing in the anime too. Orochi was carrying a ton of water for the first part of the arc, and I'm glad that we'll get more of him and Kanjuro going forward.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

such a great page...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The best thing about Orochi, is that he can get killed 7 more times.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I I unironically like Kaido's hybrid form. I bet when we see him doing some action in it, that it will loving rock.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

AtomikKrab posted:

I I unironically like Kaido's hybrid form. I bet when we see him doing some action in it, that it will loving rock.

same here

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i can't make sense of the location in a part of this chapter

we see kinemon dash...towards? the explosion i think after ashura gets blown up, but then kanjuro appears from behind him, right? and then everyone leaves inu and jack alone, but where did kanjuro go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

oh okay i think i get it - he isn't actually near them, it's just an awkwardly placed panel where it looks like he's running. kinemon just turned around to face jack, kanjuro wasn't lying about being remote, right?