Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
The canal must constantly fill with sand blown in so I guess they must dredge it frequently, but they would do that with a boat, so that equipment probably wouldn’t help much here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

I truly think they just had no contingency plans for something like this and it's not necessarily corruption

yeah I think this is the yellowstone eruption of their job where it's kind of just hoping it doesn't happen on their shift

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gorson posted:

So how corrupt is this "Suez Canal Authority" considering the billions and billions that go through their gates and their response is to send one digger?

apparently this is like Egypt's national failson reserve op

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
what we really need is for elon musk to draw a tiny submarine dredger and to call the backhoe operator a pedophile

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

We have to work through the phase first where the higher ups have meetings on top of meetings where they will decide after a week or two that they need some people who actually know what they are doing and who work for a living to "bounce some ideas off each other". This is a necessary part of our late-stage-capitalism process.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

that's me actually

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
If wind caused this, then all they need to do is get everyone to blow as hard as they can at the ship so it's pushed back to the water.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

what we really need is for elon musk to draw a tiny submarine dredger and to call the backhoe operator a pedophile

he’s definitely high as gently caress right now trying to figure out how to deliver boring machinery to the suez via dirigible or something equally stupid

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1375521708426330114?s=20

looks like they decided to bomb it after all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

apparently this is like Egypt's national failson reserve op

Egpyt needs to send in the big boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLAGJcnpa8

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Is this the warrior king of Egypt?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

It'll be hilarious if the ship somehow gets wrecked during a botched extraction attempt.

This is a very real possibility that becomes more likely as desperate methods are attempted to dislodge the ship. Ships can carry huge amounts of weight, but only if that weight is then supported by water. When there is no water, the hull begins to buckle under the weight of the cargo and problems just get worse from there. It is also entirely possible that during the tugging attempts, the hull is damaged below the waterline and the hold fills with water. Lots of things can go wrong and if something goes wrong, the ship will have to come out in pieces.

Their best, but slowest, option is do unload the ship and do a bunch of tugging and dredging work. The salvage company rep has said getting the ship unstuck will take weeks. Everyone around the salvage company are bellowing at them to get it fixed faster but there isn't faster. I saw some estimates that the ship could be freed by Tuesday, then those were changed to Thursday. I think those estimates depended on being able to refloat the ship though.

The ship is apparently wedged in the canal the most awkward and difficult way possible. Both bow and stern are jammed into the canal bank.

The real question is who has the reinsurance contract on Ever Green's marine insurance company?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Trump would have fixed this with one beautiful phone call

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why doesn't the pharaoh just command the ship to move

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1375446002212163586?s=20

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

linoleum floors posted:

Trump would have fixed this with one beautiful phone call

we are definitely missing out on some funny tweets

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

we are definitely missing out on some funny tweets

lol remember his notre dame ideas

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

jetz0r posted:

the really funny part is that we'll forget about this in 3 weeks when the next black swan event occurs

The swans are white as snow, but to admit that would raise uncomfortable questions.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:eyepop:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tactical swole units

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

lol remember his notre dame ideas

I remember him suggesting basically flying over it and dropping water bombs which would have destroyed the cathedral and probably killed thousands.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

quote:

The White House is concerned about the blockage’s potential impact on energy markets, Psaki told reporters, noting that the White House is closely tracking the situation. “That’s one of the reasons we offered assistance from the United States,” Psaki said. “We are going to continue to monitor market conditions and respond appropriately if necessary.”

that doesn't sound ominous at all

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Big E getting started early on his primarchs

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

typical, when a story like this grabs the headlines for days its bound to inspire copycats

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Tactical swole units

The 105th Pavel Petel Brigade

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

twoday posted:

The canal must constantly fill with sand blown in so I guess they must dredge it frequently, but they would do that with a boat, so that equipment probably wouldn’t help much here

apparently they didnt need to dredge it after the 6 day war because the only reason it fills up is boat propellers disturbing the canal floor and it is otherwise fine

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

ONE DAY I WOKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAMMED A MASSIVE CONTAINER SHIP INTO THE SUEZ CANAL. ITS JUST-IN-TIME MANUFACTURING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE GLOBAL TRADE STOPPED MOVING ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, EVER GIVEN. THEY TRIED EVERY MOVE AND THEY TRIED EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN EXASPERATED SOUNDS AS THEY UNEARTHED THE BOW AND EVEN WHEN THE TUGBOATS MESSED UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CAUSED A 9.6 BILLION DOLLAR A DAY CRISIS IN INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO INVESTORS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE INVESTORS NEED TO DIVERSIFY THEIR PORTFOLIOS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE ROUTES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY WATERWAY LESS LONELY BY BLOCKING ITS TRAFFIC. 3 WEEKS EXCLUDING UNLOADIng

Solid effort

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

typical, when a story like this grabs the headlines for days its bound to inspire copycats

To be fair this happens daily in places like Florida where the boat population is roughly 1:1 with people. People are really really bad at maintaining tow equipment, and you can haul these monstrous boats around with your monstrous vehicle with nothing more than a plain old driver's license.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Flavius Aetass posted:

why doesn't the pharaoh just command the ship to move

only abrahamic majiks have the power to free the ship. pharaoh's sorcery isn't up to the task

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

great, now we have a boat uprising on our hands

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

yeah, but after 20+ years it'll at least be moved slightly.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Gorson posted:

To be fair this happens daily in places like Florida where the boat population is roughly 1:1 with people. People are really really bad at maintaining tow equipment, and you can haul these monstrous boats around with your monstrous vehicle with nothing more than a plain old driver's license.

while cruising in the leftmost lane

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Tricky D posted:

while cruising in the leftmost lane

Right lane is for people who aren't as important or busy as I am.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
This might be a long time. I've read Berserk and let me tell you about boats.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I like the little excavator for scale.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

just chop the boat in half

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

brugroffil posted:

just chop the boat in half

this is now a heist and Lupin's looking for something on the ship

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
[to the captain] heh compensate much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean we all want to experience peak tug lyfe, but this is just desperate.