Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Northwest Passage isn't navigable this time of year, gotta wait till summer in the northern hemisphere for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tei posted:

I have a solution to this, instead of going trough the south of africa following Portugese trade routes. What If we travel directly to the west? I think the world is actually smaller than people believe and if we travel long enough to the west from Spain, we will be in China in no time at all!

Nothing of value would be lost if a canal was plowed straight through North America. I propose making it about a United States wide.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Orange Devil posted:

Nothing of value would be lost if a canal was plowed straight through North America. I propose making it about a United States wide.

There's a russian meme that's literally this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

midwestern passage?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pakled posted:

The Northwest Passage isn't navigable this time of year, gotta wait till summer in the northern hemisphere for that

No, we hosed up so bad that you will be able to go year-round very soon now.

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1363315951127588866

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's (a portion of) the Northeast Passage, but yea the NW isn't fair behind

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

glynnenstein posted:

No, we hosed up so bad that you will be able to go year-round very soon now.

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1363315951127588866

Don't know why they bothered, once you've seen yuan you've seen Yamal.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/AriaCallaghan/status/1375154205233721348?s=20

this is the real reason why the wellerman song went viral last year :tinfoil:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of sea shanties, is there a Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia or was the last of Barret's privateers actually from Québec ?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of sea shanties, is there a Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia or was the last of Barret's privateers actually from Québec ?

There is a Sherbrooke quebec, Nova Scotia, AND Prince Edward Island, none of which were settled during the American revolution when the song was set

It also while written to resemble a sea shnaty would not have worked as one since the song has two meters it alternates between and sea shanties have a consistent rhythm as a way to coordinate the pace of work when doing shipwork that requires multiple men doing synchonized actions

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 26, 2021

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
right but then you had the guy who was stuck in a capsized freighter who kept taking breaths by keeping time to the mary ellen carter so stan rogers still counts as a sea shanty composer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i would like a 3d map of sea shanties, tia

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

right but then you had the guy who was stuck in a capsized freighter who kept taking breaths by keeping time to the mary ellen carter so stan rogers still counts as a sea shanty composer

Why did he need to keep time with his breathing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Count Roland posted:

Why did he need to keep time with his breathing?

He was trapped in a sunk coal freighter and up to his neck in water. The ship was the Marine Electric.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It also while written to resemble a sea shnaty would not have worked as one since the song has two meters it alternates between and sea shanties have a consistent rhythm as a way to coordinate the pace of work when doing shipwork that requires multiple men doing synchonized actions

I have read that Barrets's Privateers was actually written in 20 minutes on a bar napkin as a challenge, so that does make a certain amount of sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3oCJfnHO8

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I remember the famous Jimi Hendrix song Voodoo Cheelay

I guess the song is old enough I may have to explain, "chile" is really "child"

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Ironically the makers of this map did not in fact have Georgia on their minds.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Some questionable choices from these song maps. Just two examples: I really doubt that Chick Corea‘s Spain and Rainhard Fendrich‘s I am from Austria are less popular than that

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm the Andorrazores.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
You'd think "Big in Japan" would be Japan's. What method are they basing this off of?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Oh my eyes have seen the glory of the Spain at '82
When little Northern Ireland showed the world what we could do
Now Lawrie is our leader and we're coming after you, and that is why we sing!

We're Not Brazil, We're Northern Ireland (x4)
But It's All The Same To Me

We beat the Turks, Italians and the mighty Germans too
The French, The Dutch, our Southern friends all know what we can do
And if you know our history you know it could be you
And that is why we sing!

We're Not Brazil, We're Northern Ireland (x3)

Oh I was only little when my father said to me
Come on we'll go to Windsor cheer the boys in Emerald Green
They're the greatest little country that the world has ever seen, and this is what we said!

The English men came over in the year 2005
But little did they know that we had planned a wee surprise
Sir David scored the winner and Windsor Park went wild
And this is what we sang!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The methodology is literally just "we typed the country name into spotify and picked the one with the most plays" so it's heavily weighted towards things that are popular on streaming (or were when it was made) and very prone to the person who slapped it together not actually knowing what the song is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Also notably they use English names of countries, not their own names.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fuckin lol at Chile

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1375375514911846400?s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/startunnels/status/1375604164361912320

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

We base our revolutionary war-era land grabbing on lines of longitude in THIS house

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I look forward to proudly serving in my home state of MegaGinia in driving the bastard Massholes back to Boston where they belong and reclaiming the Ohio River Valley and the Midwest as is our birthright :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Ironically the makers of this map did not in fact have Georgia on their minds.

Nah, this is just another example of the Caucuses being really weird and they split them between Europe and Asia.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

What I love about this is, if you extended the actual borders west, it would be an arc along the top of the country. But they just drew straight lines, so on a globe it would look dumb, and this stupidity really makes the joke shine.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

wait wtf why is georgia in europe but russia isnt lol

also bangladesh by your old droog is a banger and idk why i already knew the song

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Golbez posted:

What I love about this is, if you extended the actual borders west, it would be an arc along the top of the country. But they just drew straight lines, so on a globe it would look dumb, and this stupidity really makes the joke shine.

Weird of you to assume that Megachusetts subscribes to the round earth conspiracy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Golbez posted:

Yeah. They’re neither lines of latitude nor segments of great circles. On any other projection, they would look very silly. Well, sillier.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This isn’t as far removed from the great circle routes as I expected.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Love* to live in the state they used as the measuring stick for the new states. :smug:

Also lolling at the fine print: "the French overseas departments and territories are included within Mi-France." Ah yes, just stick them with the landlocked one.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

Love* to live in the state they used as the measuring stick for the new states. :smug:

Also lolling at the fine print: "the French overseas departments and territories are included within Mi-France." h yes, just stick them with the landlocked one.

So you live in NRW, but call yourself frankenfreak. How utterly unsuspicious. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I was very surprised when I heard that the most populated German state and urban area has nothing to do with Berlin, Hamburg, Munich or Frankfurt (usually the cities foreigners hear about, at least here).