Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mulva posted:

I feel proud of myself. I used my Quest for the first time for a whole hour, hour and a half before I punched something in my room.

This is very important: Something.. or someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Blaming my otherwise chill dog for my missing vive ear buds. Good as time as any to finally order the deluxe audiostrap.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Leal posted:

This is very important: Something.. or someone?

I had been playing games for like an hour straight and was starting to feel it, and then I decided to give Ancient Dungeon a try. And that weird movement system where you move with the left stick but turn in 90 degree bunches with the right, it slightly discombobulated me, causing me to lose my mental map of where I was....

....and deliver a straight directly into my monitor. Thankfully I've been smart enough not to really just throw down, but needless to say I'm thinking of changing my layout on where I do this.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

[cosmodread]
I was thinking about going back to sleep before I work in 3 hours but gently caress it I'm smoking weed and loading this up

This was what I needed for all things controller remap related: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/kz1ucu/emulating_trackpad_on_reverb_g2/gjtttb6/

Cosmodread seems fun and polished enough that it's a bit hard to go wrong for 12bux. I don't find it scary but I also haven't found any part of Alyx scary and I've been through a whole lot of headcrabs and jump scares etc, and actually nothing I've tried in VR has been unsettling for me beyond GI effects. Well, and Virt-A-Mate addons, butt what do you expect.

Cosmodread is not especially fast paced; that's what I'd expect, I guess; I personally dig Compound a little more, even though it's really cartoonish, because it's trying to be a somewhat fast paced shooter which is more my jam. This is good for being alone in the dark of space, though, and I expect I'll kick it around at least until I get the ship back to Earth once which is the goal of the game. Until that happens you just die a whole lot.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally gave Skyrim VR a go. I don't know if it's one of the mods (all I have is what that spreadsheet recommended), but VR Dragonborn has fists of steel, smashing his foes into pudding with a few quick blows. It also seems to be somewhat random as to whether a fast sweep of the hand will be treated as a blow or not; I think it might be down to whether you have the fists 'equipped' or not? But there's no on-screen indicator for it, so I'm having to take things slowly, because so far my victims include all of River Run and the khajiit traders outside Whiterun. I was just trying to pat one of them on the head. :(

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Finally gave Skyrim VR a go. I don't know if it's one of the mods (all I have is what that spreadsheet recommended), but VR Dragonborn has fists of steel, smashing his foes into pudding with a few quick blows. It also seems to be somewhat random as to whether a fast sweep of the hand will be treated as a blow or not; I think it might be down to whether you have the fists 'equipped' or not? But there's no on-screen indicator for it, so I'm having to take things slowly, because so far my victims include all of River Run and the khajiit traders outside Whiterun. I was just trying to pat one of them on the head. :(

if you are holding in the triggers as you punch you are doing heavy strikes, but at a much faster rate than the 2d game lets you. You can melt things in VR that way until you lose all that endurance.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
There was a spider in my headset!
Glad it started crawling on my face while I was still getting set up and not playing Alyx.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Xaintrailles posted:

Glad it started crawling on my face while I was still getting set up and not playing Alyx.

Oh hey congrats, you found the free baby headcrab that comes with each copy of the game.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
How’s the sword fighting games like Sword and sorcery right now? Are they getting more game content like a dungeon or a progression mechanic?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I bought a Rift S with some of my stimulus money. I'm regretting it a little, on account of I bought it instead of the Quest 2 because I didn't want to deal with Facebook, only to find out that Facebook has assimilated the Rift S fully into their fold as well. That said, I've messed around with it in No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous, and I plan to do Euro Truck Simulator 2 once the update finishes downloading.

Based on my experiences so far with these games and with the demo software, I think I'd like VR games where my character is enclosed in some way and manipulating local objects more than something where I'm, say, playing a first-person shooter. I like looking around the cockpit in No Man's Sky more than I like much of the actual gameplay. Any suggestions for games where I'm in a virtual cockpit or at a virtual control panel or something?

e: also, would it be worth it to try returning the Rift S and getting a Quest 2 instead, since I can't evade Facebook either way?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 27, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FredMSloniker posted:

I bought a Rift S with some of my stimulus money. I'm regretting it a little, on account of I bought it instead of the Quest 2 because I didn't want to deal with Facebook, only to find out that Facebook has assimilated the Rift S fully into their fold as well. That said, I've messed around with it in No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous, and I plan to do Euro Truck Simulator 2 once the update finishes downloading.

Based on my experiences so far with these games and with the demo software, I think I'd like VR games where my character is enclosed in some way and manipulating local objects more than something where I'm, say, playing a first-person shooter. I like looking around the cockpit in No Man's Sky more than I like much of the actual gameplay. Any suggestions for games where I'm in a virtual cockpit or at a virtual control panel or something?

Elite: Dangerous can let you do space trucking to your hearts content. If you like the "I am in one spot exploring my environment" then "I expect you to die" might be up your alley, its a series of stationary "missions" where you are trying to escape a bond-like death trap or the like.

Escape rooms in general are really good in VR and might be to your liking.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FredMSloniker posted:

e: also, would it be worth it to try returning the Rift S and getting a Quest 2 instead, since I can't evade Facebook either way?

For flying ship type games, I think Elite Dangerous is probably your best bet, I think Strike Suit Zero / Infinity have VR integration but I haven't ever tried it and I didn't think those were really great games in 2D. For locked room manipulation type games you might wanna take a look at Abode / Abode 2, I Expect You To Die, or Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes (which should be playable solo now with the wrist mounted desktop thing SteamVR is supposed to have now)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe try Room VR, the whole game is dicking around with toggles and switches to solve puzzles and it's really satisfying in VR.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I would personally, the Quest only requires a single USB-C for wired and has the option of wireless play, plus it's getting a ton of active updates (hand tracking is now in, and there's the possibility of a 120hz update on the horizon if they manage to nail it down). If you're able to get wireless working with your setup then you can disable stick turning entirely and just spun around to your heart's content, and you'll never want to go back.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

VTOL VR is a flight sim with fully interactive cockpit controls for you to interact with as objects with your vr controllers. It's pretty fun although I'm not the biggest fan of virtual flight sticks personally. https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
So my valve index warranty runs out in September (EU 2 year warranty gang).

What's the best bullshit excuse for me to get a fresh pair of controllers and headset before then?

They one time they replaced my hmd was due to the silicone on the edges of the lenses coming loose (due to sweating), this is beginning to happen again because I'm a VR addict so I'll prob throw a RMA request for that again in a few months!

But sadly the latest version of the controllers seem to have actual quality potentiometers, this pair have lasted me hundreds of hours without drift (third pair gotten via RMA).

The one bullshit reason I can think of for getting new ones is the grip surfaces coming kind of loose, I can bend them out with my fingernails if I try and they feel wobbly when I grip down hard - has anyone gotten new controllers for this issue? :)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

any basketball fans with a quest might want to check out the oculus venues nba games. there's one going on right now and it's really cool

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What control setup do you use for Elite Dangerous? Is it the quest controller? Kbm? Do I have to invest in a HOTAS?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You can play with a gamepad or kb/m but Elite in VR with a nice HOTAS is about as close to gaming nirvana as you can get.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I’m still trying to find a HOTAS, pretty much all of them are sold out so I don’t know which one would be worth paying a bit more that msrp for. Elite and Squadrons would both be incredible with one

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Booyah- posted:

I’m still trying to find a HOTAS, pretty much all of them are sold out so I don’t know which one would be worth paying a bit more that msrp for. Elite and Squadrons would both be incredible with one

Yeah, I was hoping to not have to grab a HOTAS because they're impossible to find and I don't know the first thing about them.

Plus I kinda wanna sit on my couch and relax and I guess I'd have to put the HOTAS in my lap which sounds annoying to manage.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

EbolaIvory posted:

Without Boosters or Knuckle Dusters I cannot use them comfortably. My thumbs are too long and I cannot hit the buttons without shifting my hands all weird. So if I need A or B on either controller in a hurry, GL.

They also suffer from stick drift pretty easily. I know they've done a few things to try and fix it so no idea on current stock but my old ones drift like a fast and furious movie.

EDIT: Knuckle Dusters btw. I like em. Bit pricy tho. https://betaform.shop/products/knuckles-duster-two-vr-controller-grip-index-kd2

drat, I've often wished I had some sort of insert to make the Knuckles feel a bit thicker. Tempting...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to not have to grab a HOTAS because they're impossible to find and I don't know the first thing about them.

Plus I kinda wanna sit on my couch and relax and I guess I'd have to put the HOTAS in my lap which sounds annoying to manage.

There are guides out there for getting most stuff in Elite bound to a gamepad, should work pretty great for chilling on the couch.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

There are guides out there for getting most stuff in Elite bound to a gamepad, should work pretty great for chilling on the couch.

Awesome, thanks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If you can get a HOTAS though, that + VR is something. Star Wars Squadron was pretty amazing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

drat, I've often wished I had some sort of insert to make the Knuckles feel a bit thicker. Tempting...

If you're ok spending more money than something actually is worth because its the "premium" or whatever. It was worth it. But lemme be clear, its rubber for 70 bucks.

But I like bougie poo poo.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

EbolaIvory posted:

If you're ok spending more money than something actually is worth because its the "premium" or whatever. It was worth it. But lemme be clear, its rubber for 70 bucks.

But I like bougie poo poo.

I have a keyboard with leds that change colors to match my animated desktop background. I love stupid bullshit I don't need. drat now I sorta have to buy these things.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

I have a keyboard with leds that change colors to match my animated desktop background. I love stupid bullshit I don't need. drat now I sorta have to buy these things.

Yeah other than ship time taking for loving ever (china post), they are pretty rad. I'm sure I could commission a print out of tpu or something similar that would be comfy too but eh, turn key and im lazy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

This is always the thing of my nightmares, don't think I'll have a headset if that happened to me.

... not that my current one is doing much better. C'mon valve you got back to me way faster with the lighthouse.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Xaintrailles posted:

Ever since the first time i heard a story of this, i always run my fingers around the inside of the headset before I ever put one on.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I call them friend spiders

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the consensus on Cosmordread? Looks like my kind of thing but it looks like it'd get repetitive real fast and the visuals look pretty meh. But...space horror rules so.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

What's the consensus on Cosmordread? Looks like my kind of thing but it looks like it'd get repetitive real fast and the visuals look pretty meh. But...space horror rules so.

I got it with the 30% off coupon. I played a couple rounds, it's real slow but with good environmentals. The quest graphics were pretty bad but I wanna try the rift graphics and see if its any better.

The first monsters I saw were pretty 50s B-Movie grade, which sorta ruled but sorta pulled me out of it a bit.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I know there are some lurkers in the thread that haven't bought a headset. There's a goon selling his Rift S for $230 shipped. We've talked about how the quest 2 is better but it seems like a low enough price to be a good deal if you'd also end up getting a headstrap and cable.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963227

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lister posted:

I know there are some lurkers in the thread that haven't bought a headset. There's a goon selling his Rift S for $230 shipped. We've talked about how the quest 2 is better but it seems like a low enough price to be a good deal if you'd also end up getting a headstrap and cable.

I'll still maintain that I am 100% happy with going with a Rift S over a quest. I have no interest in standalone and I feel like it's much more comfortable and fulfills all of my PCVR needs. And that was when one cost as much as a quest.

I'm not saying it's better than the quest because it's not, but it's an all around good headset if you just want to play PC games.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Lister posted:

My Rift S worked nearly perfect, whereas my Quest 2 via Link keeps disconnecting every so often. The Rift S is a solid choice.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lister posted:

I own a Rift S and a Quest 2 and I'd say the S is only worth it if you play on the PC a lot and you have an older graphics card. My 980ti struggles a bit with the Q2, I think mainly because it doesn't have the improved video encoding of later generation chips.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I just got a new laptop with a 2070, and I forgot that the Quest 2 was only $300. I just want to play Half Life: Alyx and a few other random things, but it seems like it's still the best option, yeah? Or at least for the price, as I'm not trying to spend more than 300. Is there anything else I should know before I actually go through with the purchase, like I assume my computer and GPU is good enough to run the games I'm interested in. But is there anything else I need to purchase or be aware of I guess?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I just got a new laptop with a 2070, and I forgot that the Quest 2 was only $300. I just want to play Half Life: Alyx and a few other random things, but it seems like it's still the best option, yeah? Or at least for the price, as I'm not trying to spend more than 300. Is there anything else I should know before I actually go through with the purchase, like I assume my computer and GPU is good enough to run the games I'm interested in. But is there anything else I need to purchase or be aware of I guess?

2070 should be fine for most games. My 1070 ran Alyx ok although it chugged in some of the more intense parts. Other than that most games run really well for me. You should be able to get away with spending $300 just fine although Quest 2 has a lot of accessories that can bump up the, price. But they are optional.

Also if you want to experience something awesome that is a Veni and Beanpole certified awesome game, I cannot recommend picking up alien isolation and playing it with the VR mod more highly. It's loving amazing.

Also if you want to spend even less that dude's rift S posted above is a good deal. As you can see from my posting I like Rift S a lot.

Lockback posted:

I got it with the 30% off coupon. I played a couple rounds, it's real slow but with good environmentals. The quest graphics were pretty bad but I wanna try the rift graphics and see if its any better.

The first monsters I saw were pretty 50s B-Movie grade, which sorta ruled but sorta pulled me out of it a bit.

Nice. If nothing else the price point is so cheap if I can get 4 or 5 hours out of it it's probably worth it cause I like being skeered in VR.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
just played a bunch of contractors on the quest 2 without a stock and i think the increased resolution helps a Lot with performance, i regularly had a k/d greater than 1.00

also while hosting a server i accused a random child of saying the n-word, which prompted someone else to say "ppl who say the n-word are f*gs," for which i did actually kick them lmao

also this track was pretty spicy in beat saber, its a good one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kett2aI32Ns

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 28, 2021