Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Have they tried moving the ship? Maybe dig it out. Ill start the kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Maybe they can inflate a gigantic underwater balloon next to it and squeeze it out like a stent.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Use a really really long lever.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
They should take the boat and push it somewhere else.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This country built the pyramids and can't get a lil boat out the dirt? shameful, no wonder the gods abandoned us.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Egypt needs another water miracle. But which one? Frogs? Blood?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

What if they stick a massive compressed spring under it and pop it out like a jack in the box.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The maritime version of "she landed on my dick"

that was why it sank in the first place

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Send in an icebreaker ship and use it's bow like a cow catcher.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1375575310461063168?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

indigi posted:

what, that's insane. what happened to the crews and stuff

quote:

“We were in a very comfortable prison,” Captain Miroslaw Proskurnicki of the Polish ship Jakarta said. “The first month was like a holiday. The second month was very hard. By the end of the third month, it was terrible.” With nothing to do besides clean the ships and do basic maintenance, the boats puttered aimlessly around Great Bitter Lake in an attempt to keep the engines well-tuned. With nowhere to go, the crews eventually set aside their homelands' differences, moored together, and formed an unofficial micronation of sorts, calling themselves the “Yellow Fleet,” a reference to the windswept sand that piled on their decks.

Each ship adopted a special duty to keep the "country" running smoothly. The Polish freighter served as a post office. The Brits hosted soccer matches. One ship served as a hospital; another, a movie theater. On Sundays, the German Nordwind hosted "church" services. “We call it church,” Captain Paul Wall told the Los Angeles Times in 1969. “But actually it is more of a beer party.” (The Germans received free beer from breweries back home.)

Beer was the crew’s undeniable lifeblood—one of the few things to look forward to or write home about. “In three days we tried Norwegian beer, Czechoslovak beer and wine and Bulgarian beer and vodka,” Captain Zdzislaw Stasick told The New York Times in 1974. In fact, the stranded men drank so much beer—and tossed all of the bottles into the lake—that sailors liked to joke that the lake’s 40-foot deep waters were actually “35 feet of water, and 5 feet of beer bottles.” As the British captain of the Invercargill, Arthur Kensett, said: “One wonders what future archaeologists in a few thousand years’ time will think of this.”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zisky posted:

Send in an icebreaker ship and use it's bow like a cow catcher.
the reason why "nudge it with another big ship" isn't being done is because no one at all is going to want to take insurance liability there at all. evergiven could already have some damage to it and lol. hypothetically "nudge it with another big ship" would otherwise maybe work if it weren't for that liability for damage is too great

also icebreaker ships several orders of magnitude smaller. the world's largest one is the russian 50 Let Pobedy (lol) and it's only 22k GT vs 220k GT. it'd almost be "tiny excavator vs ship" in comicality

megaships are insane

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Jerry-rig three icebreakers into a catamaran and use that to plow.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Lots of solutions here.

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

What's the dollar value? The comments say $25k to a few million which isn't very telling.

25 wafers valued at about $60,000 each, so about $1.5 million

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The cold war "use nuclear bombs to make harbors" strategy would work

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

maybe the canal just needs more fiber?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Xaris posted:

the reason why "nudge it with another big ship" isn't being done is because no one at all is going to want to take insurance liability there at all. evergiven could already have some damage to it and lol. hypothetically "nudge it with another big ship" would otherwise maybe work if it weren't for that liability for damage is too great

also icebreaker ships several orders of magnitude smaller. the world's largest one is the russian 50 Let Pobedy (lol) and it's only 22k GT vs 220k GT. it'd almost be "tiny excavator vs ship" in comicality

megaships are insane

lol this is what happens when ships of that size "nudge" eachother

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

everyone knows ships can't survive in the summer, we just need to wait it out and everything should be fine by easter

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rather than boring old dredging we should be using enormous shaped charges to quickly move move large volumes of sand. If we don't have any big enough explosives we can always try low-yield nukes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Yellow Fleet story really owns like how some crews were stranded there for 8 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Fleet

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

25 wafers valued at about $60,000 each, so about $1.5 million

what is a wafer in this context and why is it so expensive

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://istheshipstillstuck.com/
thank you to all the computer touchers who jump on these things

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/allenf32/status/1375371552913567744?s=19

Greatest political satire in living memory

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

this one is so funny because there was no explosion and no deaths. It's just a ship stuck, and it could wreck global commerce lol

this is how the world ends. not with a bang, but with a tooooot

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Yinlock posted:

also that the world's greatest minds can't figure out how to solve the brain-cruncher known as "ship stuck"

wait until you hear about the classic unsolved problem “plane crashed”

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
imagine if a stuck boat hits the economy harder than a pandemic that took millions of lives. lmao

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Let's all try really hard to remember sailor. It won't help but I think we should do it anyway.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The collapse is going to be a bunch of problems like this that are comical in a way, but then they'll announce that the problem will never be solved.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
thx for the reminder that we're all one blood clot away from death

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

for some reason I am still lollin about a friend in Portugal sending me "time to go around africa again, Ó MAR SALGADO QUANTO DO TEU SAL"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

oxsnard posted:

imagine if a stuck boat hits the economy harder than a pandemic that took millions of lives. lmao

people haven’t been worth as much as stuff for a long time now

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

also reminder that this would never have happened if they listened to Gamal Abdel Nasser about having the soviet-trained (the extremely rare shout out to the Red Navy) canal pilots being the only ones allowed in Egyptian law to maneuver the ships through it

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

lmfao

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bedpan posted:

This is a very real possibility that becomes more likely as desperate methods are attempted to dislodge the ship. Ships can carry huge amounts of weight, but only if that weight is then supported by water. When there is no water, the hull begins to buckle under the weight of the cargo and problems just get worse from there. It is also entirely possible that during the tugging attempts, the hull is damaged below the waterline and the hold fills with water. Lots of things can go wrong and if something goes wrong, the ship will have to come out in pieces.

Their best, but slowest, option is do unload the ship and do a bunch of tugging and dredging work. The salvage company rep has said getting the ship unstuck will take weeks. Everyone around the salvage company are bellowing at them to get it fixed faster but there isn't faster. I saw some estimates that the ship could be freed by Tuesday, then those were changed to Thursday. I think those estimates depended on being able to refloat the ship though.

The ship is apparently wedged in the canal the most awkward and difficult way possible. Both bow and stern are jammed into the canal bank.

The real question is who has the reinsurance contract on Ever Green's marine insurance company?

Somewhere a junior VP actuary just hung themself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

also reminder that this would never have happened if they listened to Gamal Abdel Nasser about having the soviet-trained (the extremely rare shout out to the Red Navy) canal pilots being the only ones allowed in Egyptian law to maneuver the ships through it

too bad the only things leaders today copy from Nasser is losing wars in Yemen.