Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm thinking about replaying dark souls 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you those who joined me in stream :3: I do feel like I have been tearing through some of these areas and bosses. Also making smart choices without even realising it! (Like not breaking the dragon eggs!). Also perhaps beating bosses in fewer tries than might be the norm.

I had so much fun and I am glad I paused when I did. I feel silly getting mad at that guy I fought on the stairs. I was not aiming right.

Though it was fun to get invaded a ton by gothic girl.

Also taxation opinions!!! :D I wonder what would have happened if I had summoned him :) another life perhaps.

Anyway you guys egging me on gives me great joy and excitement! Sunday is dlc day!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The achievement in the final act of Kentucky Route Zero ("Walk on the grassy knoll path") is really giving me some trouble!

Also, does anyone have any input on whether The Witness is a good game to play in a couch co-op style? I was thinking of playing it with my partner since it's free, and he's definitely more clever than I am.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

Thank you those who joined me in stream :3:

"I don't think these magic guys are very fair..." lol

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

I'm thinking about replaying dark souls 1

It’s infinitely replayable. choose to play in a way you haven’t before and it’s always a good time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Read After Burning posted:

Also, does anyone have any input on whether The Witness is a good game to play in a couch co-op style? I was thinking of playing it with my partner since it's free, and he's definitely more clever than I am.

What was that old comic where you watch your grandpa type google into the search bar? I would imagine watching someone play The Witness is like that. Just endless, endless frustration at watching someone else do something very slow and inefficient.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah puzzle adventure games are really unfun to watch. all the interesting stuff is going on in the player’s head

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It’s infinitely replayable. choose to play in a way you haven’t before and it’s always a good time.

this is so true. there are so many factors that can dramatically change each playthrough. pick a different class, grab the master key and join a new covenant and it’s almost like a completely different game. i’ve played it half a dozen times and i feel like i’ve barely mastered half of it

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I can only speak anecdotally, but once the puzzles got harder my roommate at the time and I had a blast solving parts of The Witness together

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

This is what I did. Watching it again i forgot that I actually died in the first phase and not the second. I feel like I'm still in soulsborne mode where I'm still using dodge as a panic button

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6usFoBK61Y

Bonus loading into the game footage

E: actually this really reminds me of my successful attempt at Maria where I got her backed against the wall at the very end and I was almost certain I was gonna get stuck on the geometry and die

Nice. Yeah, LB seems really tough at first but she's rather easy to cheese. I'd be careful relying too much on dodge for other bosses though, it'll get you flattened.

Remember, a perfect parry will not negatively affect your posture!

acksplode posted:

Hey winning is winning, whatever works. But your hunch is right, you'd be more effective if you dodged less and parried more. Later bosses won't let you get away with that so much, you might want to start breaking the habit now. It helped me to spend some time just standing in front of a tough enemy and parrying everything to get a sense of what I can get away with. The answer is a lot :D Like when LB does her combo flurry of dagger swipes, you don't want to dodge away from that. Combos like that are dinner, and you eat it up with parries.

edit: here's a good video that shows what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cvNLQa_JKc

The player focuses on depleting posture rather than health, and because they're parrying everything they can stay in LB's face and set the pace of the fight. Notice that their timing isn't perfect, they spam block a little bit and it's fine.

good post

yeah, the skills in this vid are what Corn will need against Genichiro. Dodge spamming LB is all well and good and it gets the job done but it's a dead end for skill-checks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My girlfriend nearly platted the witness but if you've done every puzzle then choose to walk into the ending elevator instead of find the secret door or whatever to the final puzzle room it deletes your save so she said gently caress that

Thank you dumbass who made the witness, your legacy is intact

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wolfsheim posted:

My girlfriend nearly platted the witness but if you've done every puzzle then choose to walk into the ending elevator instead of find the secret door or whatever to the final puzzle room it deletes your save so she said gently caress that

Thank you dumbass who made the witness, your legacy is intact

iirc this isn't what happens, it puts you on a reset island but there is a PONR-style save in another slot right before the elevator

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What is the game I should play between Skyrim and Elder Scrolls 6?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It is ok if the answer is FF14.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I've played a number of the souls-likes both 2D and 3D (missing Nioh 2 and Mortal Shell) but the best feeling souls-like I've played is Surge 2. The bosses are really lovely though, which is a huge mark against it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

"I don't think these magic guys are very fair..." lol

Hahah I cannot remember who those magic guys were now! The ones in amana?

If it was original Amana, then yeah probably that might have been true (I am amping up the number in my mind drastically) if the Amana I played then I think I just needed to persevere and I nearly let self doubt get the better of me!! :)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

iirc this isn't what happens, it puts you on a reset island but there is a PONR-style save in another slot right before the elevator

It's too late! She swore it off however long ago it was free on PS+, never to return

In other news I finally beat Uncharted 2 and it goes a little bit too hammy with all the gunpoint ultimatums in the last couple chapters that never really amount to anything and there's like, two too many combat arenas before the very end but overall I liked it! I assumed Sully would return at a pivotal moment only to get fatally wounded or something but then I laughed out loud when he literally shows up in the epilogue after the fighting is over solely to try and bang Drake's hot ex:allears:

There is one thing UC1 did better though; the final boss battle. It was basically a glorified cutscene, but I still liked it over the kind of gimmicky running in circles sequence of UC2. Though I did appreciate the villain being the first person so far to point out that Drake has basically committed an incredible amount of mass murder.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fix posted:

Wildstar

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
First proper attempt at Genichiro and I thought I was doing so well! Then I got to his second phase and I died immediately. Now I cant get past his first phase at all lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Still in awe that this meme actually came true.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

First proper attempt at Genichiro and I thought I was doing so well! Then I got to his second phase and I died immediately. Now I cant get past his first phase at all lol

Welcome, shinobi.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Corn plz post your winning run whenever it happens. Genichiro clips are the loving best.

It's like this gif

but instead we see a frame by frame of your brain literally leveling up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fix posted:

Skyrim but with mods

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really want to read your spoilers and watch your clips Fridge, but I am being strong and not revealing things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Skyrim but with mods

It's true.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Finally finished FF7R to clear up time/hard drive space for Disco Elysium and I genuinely did not get the guarding aspect of how Cloud's Punisher mode worked until the vey final fights. I'm bad at games!

I was nearly at the end too, when I learned that you can use the triangle button as a parry. Switching to punisher mode right when a blow hits make you automatically deflect and counter. I don’t think the game ever tells you this.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Corn plz post your winning run whenever it happens. Genichiro clips are the loving best.

It's like this gif

but instead we see a frame by frame of your brain literally leveling up.

Oh I will definitely post it when I beat him which might be tomorrow or the next day but probably next week or a month from now :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

I really want to read your spoilers and watch your clips Fridge, but I am being strong and not revealing things.

I think you and I are the only ones who havent played sekiro so I am keeping everything in spoiler tags just for you! ;)

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

There is one thing UC1 did better though; the final boss battle. It was basically a glorified cutscene, but I still liked it over the kind of gimmicky running in circles sequence of UC2. Though I did appreciate the villain being the first person so far to point out that Drake has basically committed an incredible amount of mass murder.

The final boss in UC2 is pretty much my only negative about the game, but I do like that the existence of Uncharted 3 meant that Drake learned nothing from his murders being pointed out. I think all the games have a kill counter somewhere in the pause menu, and from memory it got pretty close to four digits in UC3 alone.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 27, 2021

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Redezga posted:

The final boss in UC2 is pretty much my only negative about the game, but I do like that the existence of Uncharted 3 meant that Drake learned nothing from his murders being pointed out. I think all the games have a kill counter somewhere in the pause menu, and from memory it got pretty close to four digits in UC3 alone.

UC4 has a trophy for killing 1000 people and it's called "Ludonarrative dissonance"

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah I suppose if you've made it that far into the series you've probably thought about it as much as Nathan Drake and simply accepted that you didn't go into this life intending to be one of histories greatest monsters, but that just so it happened to pan out on five occasion.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Fix posted:

It is ok if the answer is FF14.

FF14

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Attitude Indicator posted:

I was nearly at the end too, when I learned that you can use the triangle button as a parry. Switching to punisher mode right when a blow hits make you automatically deflect and counter. I don’t think the game ever tells you this.

Haha what the gently caress?? Gonna play this poo poo like sekiro after i finish sekiro (greatest game of all time btw no question holy smokes)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good luck fridge corn!!!! I think Genichiro is the hardest thing I’ve ever accomplished in a game and it’s definitely the most attempts I’ve ever put into something.

Also BP‘s post is an excuse to post my video again tbh, which I love so much because it literally has an arc

https://youtu.be/OLyGyRYLFAQ

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Good luck fridge corn!!!! I think Genichiro is the hardest thing I’ve ever accomplished in a game and it’s definitely the most attempts I’ve ever put into something.

Also BP‘s post is an excuse to post my video again tbh, which I love so much because it literally has an arc

https://youtu.be/OLyGyRYLFAQ

Thanks! I had a few more goes at him and was able to push him into phase 2 a few times. Becoming more comfortable with phase 1 though I'm still getting caught out when he starts changing up his perilous attack between the thrust and the sweep so lots of room for improvement there.

The first time I got him into phase 2 I really felt I was in control of the fight but I had run out of gourd juice.

The thing that really gets me is that despite this being super difficult and frustrating it's actually a lot of fun fighting him even though I'm getting my rear end kicked everytime! Hes beatable, I can do this! :D

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

The thing that really gets me is that despite this being super difficult and frustrating it's actually a lot of fun fighting him even though I'm getting my rear end kicked everytime! Hes beatable, I can do this! :D

Yeah, absolutely. It took me a few days and drove me mad but it’s also genuinely so much fun!!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I beat LB on one of my first few tries and if you asked me to do it again I probably wouldn’t be able to because it was mostly lucky button mashing.

This is a common theme for me in Souls games.

When you get it right and string off a bunch of blocks in a row and wreck an enemy like in those no-hit videos, I’m not sure there’s a more fulfilling combat system around.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

fridge corn posted:

Thanks! I had a few more goes at him and was able to push him into phase 2 a few times. Becoming more comfortable with phase 1 though I'm still getting caught out when he starts changing up his perilous attack between the thrust and the sweep so lots of room for improvement there.

The first time I got him into phase 2 I really felt I was in control of the fight but I had run out of gourd juice.

Yeah thats my favorite thing about this game. how relentless and hard the bosses can be, and finally getting over them is the biggest gamer rush feels ever achieved. I read early reviews of people complaining how hard it is and how they should have an easy mode and that poo poo got me so mad lol the games insanely perfect and i get why people are so excited for elden ring now

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Baggot posted:

Yes, I think that's one of the pre-made alternate control schemes in the options. But I think it would be very weird to play it like that just based on what you have to do with the buttons for ki pulsing and stance switching etc. I am kind of curious how it plays like that lol.

I am playing with Souls controls and it's great. It really works well with changing stance with ki-pulses, because you can change stance to low and dodge with one button press of L1-X (I dunno if it's the same for the main scheme but it's very intuitive with the triangle = high stance, square = block and blockstance, x = dodge and dodge stance. Also Triangle and square is way way better as a burst counter than L2 and circle or whatever it was before.

I'm really enjoying the combat of Nioh 2 now that I'm 'getting it' and playing around with the stances mid-fight. It's a real good cross between Sekiro and Dark Souls with Ki acting much the same as the enemy posture in Sekiro, but it still has that very important positioning element from Souls, you can't just go toe to toe with most enemies like in Sekiro. Really fun.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Walrus posted:

I am playing with Souls controls and it's great. It really works well with changing stance with ki-pulses, because you can change stance to low and dodge with one button press of L1-X (I dunno if it's the same for the main scheme but it's very intuitive with the triangle = high stance, square = block and blockstance, x = dodge and dodge stance. Also Triangle and square is way way better as a burst counter than L2 and circle or whatever it was before.

I'm really enjoying the combat of Nioh 2 now that I'm 'getting it' and playing around with the stances mid-fight. It's a real good cross between Sekiro and Dark Souls with Ki acting much the same as the enemy posture in Sekiro, but it still has that very important positioning element from Souls, you can't just go toe to toe with most enemies like in Sekiro. Really fun.
I've haven't played Nioh 2 but are you saying that X = dodge and Square = block is what's somehow known as Souls controls? :psyduck: