Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Listening to minorities != automatically taking anything any member of a minority group says as absolute gospel. I don't think anyone has a problem with her criticism of Lindsay's take per se, just that by context, you need a LOT of effort to read that "squint" as some sort of cryptoracist dogwhistle or whatever. It might personally upset you and if you say so, I'll gladly correct myself, but c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
It's so easy to tell people what they "should do" . At least, if what is right and wrong is very easy for you, in your head, to decide.

Unsurprisingly, being a noteable person on twitter with no PR control only succesfully makes you a target for people to pick up on your minor slights and turn them into something stupid.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dias posted:

That's mostly because Twitter lets you curate your timeline so unless someone pushes the lovely parts of it into your view you can just ignore it.

and then people follow this thread so you can no longer ignore it apparently

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

and then people follow this thread so you can no longer ignore it apparently

We can't resist the call of stupid posting feuds, I'm sure you can relate.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Augus posted:

https://twitter.com/richard_mercz/status/1375473532889616385?s=21

which poc should everyone shut the gently caress up and listen to?
no group of people is a monolith and no Twitter rando is the CEO of Asian People

Counterpoint: What does it cost Lindsay to not double down, and instead say along the lines of "Oh, yeah, I can see how everyone jumping to that comparison would be annoying, my bad" and letting the matter drop?
Very little, except for no longer asserting that her assessment is More Correct than this person who is more personally affected by it.

The fact that she constantly finds "But I am More Correct than the person who is personally affected!" worth fighting over is why people are over her poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dias posted:

We can't resist the call of stupid posting feuds, I'm sure you can relate.

I'm just here to keep up with the cool video game racing videos:

Superrodan posted:

This came up in my youtube recommendations and I put it on expecting to just skip past all the buildup and history to when the record happened... but then I got sucked in and watched the whole thing. I enjoyed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b67SC7Y4qA

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twitter is so tedious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm just here to keep up with the cool video game racing videos:

Oh, I was gonna watch this video yesterday but I got high and forgot, lol

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I feel like the main reason people with big followings don't immediately apologize when someone takes one of their tweets the wrong way is because they're suddenly being inundated with thousands upon thousands of people calling them out and it can range from anything from "maybe rethink this" to death threats and it just blends together into a mob attacking you.

They lash out and double down because they're getting defensive over being attacked over and over (sometimes the exact same criticism being launched at them literally hundreds to thousands of times).

I can't imagine my every off-hand thought being scrutinized by tens of thousands of people looking for an excuse to break out the torches and pitchforks.

I'm starting to think people over a certain number of followers should just leave their twitter to like a PR-firm and not tweet out their personal thoughts under their own name, if at all.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

personally im not like Mad or busting out torches or anything, i just think its a dumb thing to say that a movie is in a whole 'atla genre', it's like how people compare everything vaguely similar to uhhh persona 5 or something, i dunno :shrug: theres probably better examples but it's not coming to me rn??

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Booky posted:

personally im not like Mad or busting out torches or anything, i just think its a dumb thing to say that a movie is in a whole 'atla genre', it's like how people compare everything vaguely similar to uhhh persona 5 or something, i dunno :shrug: theres probably better examples but it's not coming to me rn??

Read Another Book

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Booky posted:

personally im not like Mad or busting out torches or anything, i just think its a dumb thing to say that a movie is in a whole 'atla genre',
is this really something worth demanding a public apology over, or just a petty disagreement

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Either way Boris is the only person with anything resembling a moral compass. Don't shoot civilians, radicalized militaries are bad, I have a machine gun and if you shoot that kid I cut you in half.

The stuff about fighting the militia/conscript miners in KZ2 is really, really uncomfortable when you consider its also the level where you get the boltgun which is just one of the many warcrimes guns in Killzone.

"Killing civilians. That's not soldiering. That's the lowest of the low."

yeah, i always wondered what the miners were. i kinda assumed they were a militia types or something. I assumed the SMG rusher dudes in the caps and the jackets were like the Helghast youth solider types, the young dumb angry recruits used as canon fodder.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/killzone/images/2/22/Shock_Trooper.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/390?cb=20100409085856

these dudes.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 27, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Killzone seems neat and I'm a little bummed out that I just missed it completely.

For Lindsay, if you read the whole thread, that person was kind of forwarding some anger that they had at the industry in general onto Lindsay. Specifically that stories that try to be different have to have ties to something popular if they actually want funded. Which kind of undercuts their own point :shrug:. Quote, so I don't pull in 2 giant tweets.

quote:

OR maybe we need to talk abt how
1. Publishing continues to buy & publish similar books (becos those books sell/readers want them? I’ve no clue)

2. Publishing will only buy diverse stories if they fit a certain narrative resulting in a narrower scope of stories being told 🥴/

Lindsay probably shouldn't have taken a big, lazy swipe at the whole "genre" of ripoffs. But the reply seems like an overreaction to a fairly simple and apparently accurate enough point. Also Twitter sucks, as always.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CmdrKing posted:

Counterpoint: What does it cost Lindsay to not double down, and instead say along the lines of "Oh, yeah, I can see how everyone jumping to that comparison would be annoying, my bad" and letting the matter drop?
Very little, except for no longer asserting that her assessment is More Correct than this person who is more personally affected by it.

The fact that she constantly finds "But I am More Correct than the person who is personally affected!" worth fighting over is why people are over her poo poo.

what does it cost you to Just Log Off
If someone doesn’t think they did anything wrong they’re not gonna apologize to some random Twitter weirdo that thinks they did a turbo racism by comparing two American cartoons to each other. You’re just gonna have to live with that

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 27, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Killzone seems neat and I'm a little bummed out that I just missed it completely.

there will be a remaster of the trilogy at some point and shadow fall is ok and its really really cheap.

the trilogy is on PS NOW.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 27, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

you do not, in fact, have to post every take that crosses your mind, be you having 200 or 200k followers

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Big spoilers: the random person who read your clearly non-dog whistle normal usage of a word as a secret horribly racist thing on twitter is never ever going to be satisfied with even the most heartfelt apology. For evidence of this look at literally any other petty slap fight with anyone close to well known on Twitter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like the way to run a twitter account if you need to keep one going for your “brand” etc is to just write the tweets ahead of time and use a scheduler to post them on some irregular schedule and then just never read the replies. I don’t know that I’d have the willpower to do it.

But then you’d have to do timely tweets about bean dad or whoever the main character is that day. Maybe you’d need to browse with a second, anonymous account and do your shitposting that way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there will be a remaster of the trilogy at some point and shadow fall is ok and its really really cheap.

the trilogy is on PS NOW.

Quick disclaimer those videos are not joking when they say killzone gunplay has heft. Twitch shooters they are not. It definitely takes some getting used to with how methodical movement aiming and reloading can be in the first two games.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
My main exposure to Twitter is this forum and the Blocked Party podcast. Blocked Party gave the advice awhile ago to just turn off every notification except for mentions from people that you follow. Then just don't read the replies much and don't sweat it 99% of the time.

That or just post pictures of your pets. That's probably the true pro strat.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Social media as a whole is specifically designed to harm brains in a way that is most profitable to the company running the platform. I struggle to see a method of engaging with it that isn't dangerous to yourself or others.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I don't know, Lindsay was trying to take a joke about landlords out of context to prove a very important point this morning, so this is kind of funny to me.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

So they say.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
irrespective of the current situation being discussed i feel like half the worlds power consumption is spent on doubling down instead of apologizing

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the other half is nfts

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has twitter ever turned a profit? Their model seems to be putting ads between the tweets, but they’re not hateful or weird enough to fool anyone into thinking that they’re real tweets.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They had a brief period in 2018 and 2019 where they were turning a profit, but they absolutely fell into the toilet in 2020.

https://ycharts.com/companies/TWTR/net_income

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Has twitter ever turned a profit? Their model seems to be putting ads between the tweets, but they’re not hateful or weird enough to fool anyone into thinking that they’re real tweets.

The economy hasn't been real for god knows how long, so who knows?

Edit: Wait, nevermind, the poster above me knows.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

(the 'squint' thing is basically just unfortunate word usage, not a big deal imo :effort: + i like ellis' work and stuff too!)

and yea twitter generally Sucks and is p stressful just as a whole... i wonder if that's part of the reason it doesn't make a bunch of cash?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Looks like she deleted her account

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
weird to fire up a youtube video and get an ad with Danny Trejo, Patton Oswalt, and Day9 all of a sudden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRpwWio_XE

Don't go outside without your mask, Sean :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Social media in general is partially so loving volatile because the platforms are often running at a constant loss and they're just trying to scrape into the black by getting as many people as crazed as possible to fuel interaction, ad pennies or whatever. Also Danny Trejo is somehow the cutest badass guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's right, too. You really just need to add more Vorinclex to the deck.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also Danny Trejo was in charge of some pretty good tacos, he actually owned a tacos and the like truck thing for a bit, Trejo's Tacos, he also sells a book about it now lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Quick disclaimer those videos are not joking when they say killzone gunplay has heft. Twitch shooters they are not. It definitely takes some getting used to with how methodical movement aiming and reloading can be in the first two games.

yeah. they arnt "tactical fps" but they have the weight of most of them. they are slow shooters and 2 is very gears of war type with the need of cover and poo poo.

id be curious to see that dude or someone else do a retrospective on the resistance shooters because they are all over the place.

1 is cool, sets up a cool universe and timeline and is a interesting post halo but pre MW console shooter.

2. is basicaly way more sci-fi and very "lets take ideas from halo" and mechanics from cod. its solid and has some great moments but it kinda ruins the "mystery" of the setting.

3 is more like a mix of 1 and 2 and kinda the best of both in some ways and its more of a personal story with some good moments.

id love to see a remaster trilogy of them too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'd love to see a remaster trilogy of them too.

Hopefully, they're cool games with a big fond following and it sucks to leave them in that shape where they're all divided up on like 3-4 different platforms. Yakuza had that same annoying deal for a while too until Y0 showed that there was absolutely demand for them on more stores and then the whole series followed, you can buy 0-7 on steam now finally as well with 6 only having just released to cap it off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Gotta say, saying "if you squint..." specifically in a context where you're trying to correct Asian people who are mad at you for something you said is probably not the smartest thing to do. Even if it wasn't meant to be a barb in the least.

Yardbomb posted:

Social media in general is partially so loving volatile because the platforms are often running at a constant loss and they're just trying to scrape into the black by getting as many people as crazed as possible to fuel interaction, ad pennies or whatever. Also Danny Trejo is somehow the cutest badass guy.

It's weird. It's like basing your entire structure on engagement isn't really sustainable and there are several big social media platforms and live service games that are just constantly on fire and perpetually running out of fuel desperately looking for more poo poo to shovel into the burning engagement engine to stave off having to admit that it doesn't work and never has, even as half a dozen other companies prime up to make their own copies of the same poo poo while insisting everything else is dead forever and would never work in today's climate.

I can't wait for destiny 2 to die and get rebranded as Destiny 2 reborn or whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you said Squint in a casual conversation and caught it you'd be like "oh gently caress that was terrible my bad" and depending on who you're talking to it could be brushed off as a gaffe. On Twitter you could say it and it would still be a gaffe or people would take it as intentional bigotry.

Stay off Twitter it's bad for your health. Play Killzone and fight fascists as the embodiment of a propaganda addled neoliberal capitalist who wants to beat the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you said Squint in a casual conversation and caught it you'd be like "oh gently caress that was terrible my bad"
not really unless I was specifically referring to asian people for some reason, squint in any normal context is an innocuous word