Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Doesn't Walker mention something about him and Hoskins being on a mission in Chile a couple weeks beforehand at the beginning of the episode? That alone sounds kind of not a good thing considering America's past in Central and South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I can't help but think that the Flash Smashers might end up like the Injustice Society in Stargirl where their end goal is probably a good idea but they are going to kill a lot, and i mean a lot of people in the process and justify it as making the world better. And not just people responsible for the ills, but indiscriminately.

I love this twist because it almost justifies the ridiculous name because they're dealing with the injustice of the American capitalist machine

Also their manifesto being "Gay rights, institutional reform, UBI and healthcare for all" was such a fun twist

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Doesn't Walker mention something about him and Hoskins being on a mission in Chile a couple weeks beforehand at the beginning of the episode? That alone sounds kind of not a good thing considering America's past in Central and South America.
That's a good catch.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Wyatt Russell is drat fine in this. The helmet makes him look drat stupid.

I liked the 'psyching up' session with his lovely lady friend. It was short but it did a lot to humanize him - he's going to be the poster boy for "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

The psychiatrist being so done with everyone *and* their poo poo made me laugh. That lady has presence and sarcasm to spare.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BurritoJustice posted:

I love this twist because it almost justifies the ridiculous name because they're dealing with the injustice of the American capitalist machine

Also their manifesto being "Gay rights, institutional reform, UBI and healthcare for all" was such a fun twist

Yea but killing 25%+ of the population of a big part of the US, and some of that has people living in it, not just corn.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea but killing 25%+ of the population of a big part of the US, and some of that has people living in it, not just corn.

Cool motive, still murder

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

He is a similar thing to what Wanda was constructing in the last series.

Wanda was fabricating a romantic narrative to restore a false past and forcing it on others.

John Walker is a fabricated incoherent romantic narrative with no connection to origin.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lmao at Sam's face when Bucky says: It was actually White Wolf.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
"After this we go on separate long vacations, and never see each other again" was a bit mean for two people who were otherwise pretty close all episode. The scene where Bucky falls on top of Sam in the field is straight out of Whedon's romance checklist.

Ravel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I figure the Flagsmashers Are fighting for a place for everyone that wasn't blipped. There had to have been something like a non-genicidal Great Leap Forward where the dispossessed were given abandoned arable farm land in exchange for a portion of the harvest. The blip is undone, everyone comes back, and the people that spent the last five years building something had it taken away from them overnight and then they get dumped into refuge camps. We already know the GRC funding Walker's missions are shady as gently caress considering the Power Broker is in charge of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

lmao at Sam's face when Bucky says: It was actually White Wolf.
That's how you do fanservice references. Builds the characters.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sloth Life posted:

Wyatt Russell is drat fine in this. The helmet makes him look drat stupid.

I liked the 'psyching up' session with his lovely lady friend. It was short but it did a lot to humanize him - he's going to be the poster boy for "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
So agree. “White privilege? I’m just following the chain of command and trying to help”
I saw a horror movie with him and he can go monstrous and violent. I’m thinking he will take the proffered SS improved shot and go more Nuke than comics US Agent. The system has no loyalty for anyone; especially, it’s cannon fodder. Hope this show sticks the landing as I want more people excited for Sam Wilson to be Cap.

MH Knights posted:

Nice. I missed that and really nice touch.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's interesting that Bucky and Sam were the two Avengers that prominently used regular guns but now they've got their own series they're going fully hand to hand

It makes for more interesting combat scenes I guess

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Did any of Steve's helmets have those open ear holes or did the showrunners do that specifically to make Walker look like the Wish version of Cap?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BurritoJustice posted:

It's interesting that Bucky and Sam were the two Avengers that prominently used regular guns but now they've got their own series they're going fully hand to hand

It makes for more interesting combat scenes I guess

Bucky specifically is trying to not be who he was in the past, so it makes a little sense for him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

grittyreboot posted:

Did any of Steve's helmets have those open ear holes or did the showrunners do that specifically to make Walker look like the Wish version of Cap?

Yeah they did, he jus doesn't look like Dumbo because of them though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

Sam's Uzis were also very, very clearly from back when they weren't really sure what to do with Falcon combat-wise and hadn't realized how much amazing poo poo they could make the wings do. Seriously I remember my jaw drat-near dropping at how awesome they made his aerial combat at the start of Civil War.

grittyreboot posted:

Actually looking at them all in sequence the only ones that didn't have exposed ears (or leather to indicate where the ears are) were the worst suits-- the USO suit which was deliberately bad, and the Avengers 1 suit which literally everyone but Joss Whedon hates:

I think they just managed to make the helmet just a little too small so the ears really protrude and add to the uncanny effect.

I really loved seeing Walker hanging on the back of the truck, struggling to do a pull-up. It's a subtle callback to when Steve fought loving Ultron on a South Korean highway and had to do pulls like that one-handed

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DogsInSpace! posted:

I saw a horror movie with him and he can go monstrous and violent.

I’ve only seen him in Lodge 49, where he plays the antithesis of monstrous and violent, so it’s good to know the guy has range.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Klungar posted:

I’ve only seen him in Lodge 49, where he plays the antithesis of monstrous and violent, so it’s good to know the guy has range.
There's no way he could live up to his Dad and he wisely isn't trying to, but he definitely inherited/learned his dad's range. Check him in this, Overlord, 22 Jump Street, and Lodge 49 and it's a very solid spectrum of affability and he seems to be very good at tuning himself to the right frequency for each part.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I got just a whiff of Antony Starr Homelander vibes from the Good Morning America interview at the start of the ep. Maybe it's just because everyone seems insincere on the morning talk shows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I always forget how terrible that Avengers 1 costume was for Cap.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

There's no way he could live up to his Dad and he wisely isn't trying to, but he definitely inherited/learned his dad's range. Check him in this, Overlord, 22 Jump Street, and Lodge 49 and it's a very solid spectrum of affability and he seems to be very good at tuning himself to the right frequency for each part.

In this sense it's a cool casting decision.

Dude's always going to be compared to his predecessor

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Huh, I had no idea he was Kurt Russell's son

Does this make them the first father-son duo to appear in the MCU?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

ShakeZula posted:

Groot/Baby Groot

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm glad the Russos decided to not use it. Every suit where they don't go with extremely bright blue and red looks perfect.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

ShakeZula posted:

Anthony Russo's son is one of the kids who asks Hulk for a photo in Endgame.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

MH Knights posted:

I also wonder if that was a subtle callback to the comics storyline that led to John Walker taking the role of Cap in the comics. When Cap retired and turned in his shield and uniform to the government rather than working for them directly again, one of the scenarios he imagined was being ordered to fight in one of those US intervention shitshows in Latin America.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Flagsmashers good, the misdirect about them in the first episode seemed to get a bunch of people since them being the antagonists due to their ideology was a complaint I saw people bring up. I do hate the heroic sacrifice part, just knock the loving telephone pole down and peace out of there, knock a few of them down and just leave instead of running directly into their gunfire. I did think it was funny that Bucky decided to run to the first truck and open the back, like the guys in the other truck DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM wouldn't notice?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I did think it was funny that Bucky decided to run to the first truck and open the back, like the guys in the other truck DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM wouldn't notice?

They probably had the same reaction as the Hulk vs Thanos fight. "Let her have her fun"

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Civil War suit is the best CA suit.

Man, it feels weird to be a third of the way through the series. The series feels like a Brubaker era comic. The title heroes are just as likely or more likely to come to blows with people who believe they are in the right rather than straight villainy. They see and are affected by injustices against which they gain small victories at best.

Loved the staring contest and the "Done with this" therapist.

I don't know that John Walker is able to mentally equipped to realize that the Flag Smashers have an idealistic goal in mind. To him they are always going to be in the "Bad Guy" category even when Sam Wilson sees that there's more going on. I don't think that he goes off on a violent tangent. He's just lacking the moral compass that guided Steve. I think that in the end he's going to realize how out of his depth he is. Battlestar is so Bucky on the cheap though and man, I don't see him surviving the series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Flagsmashers good, the misdirect about them in the first episode seemed to get a bunch of people since them being the antagonists due to their ideology was a complaint I saw people bring up. I do hate the heroic sacrifice part, just knock the loving telephone pole down and peace out of there, knock a few of them down and just leave instead of running directly into their gunfire. I did think it was funny that Bucky decided to run to the first truck and open the back, like the guys in the other truck DIRECTLY BEHIND HIM wouldn't notice?

He did it because they thought the person in the back was a hostage. So he went to save the hostage, not just smash bad guys or drugs. They expressed that pretty openly.

Of course what the plan was beyond that I have no idea. But they also pretty openly expressed that they had no plan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bucky would save a ton of money and fabric if he just started wearing shirts with one sleeve instead of having to rip one of his sleeves off 3-5 times a week.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Liked it way more than last week's episode. The psychology stuff continues to be a bit wonky, and the show seems to be brushing up against the spectre of queer baiting, but it was decently paced, made some smart choices. I thought the cop scene was handled far better than the bank scene last week, though the move I thought was smartest -- and the one that I've not seen anyone talk about -- was the decision to introduce a Falcon knock-off into the mix, since it sets up the potential to confront the tokenism both of the role and of the role.

(I find it a bit off that he and Wyatt Russel's character have apparently been best friends since highschool, but in the sense of it being a massive coincidence rather than anything else.)

If the Flagsmashers aren't meant to be villains, then someone really should have told the composer that. The echoing chanting over their scenes removes a lot of the nuance there, but I'm reserving judgement on the show's take until I work out what the series is doing with its female characters.

So a B to last week's C.

MH Knights posted:

I don't think this tracks with the Libyan airspace stuff from the previous episode, unfortunately.

Generally I'm a little unbelieving of the idea that this show could ever truly criticise the actions of the American military when it's taking so much of their money.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah both of these things bothered me, particularly the truck sequence. The former I can excuse as being a subject of that elastic quality of emotional editing -- the same sort of reality bending powers than any lead character seems to have whenever they need to say some lengthy emotional goodbyes during what's meant to be a split-second life-or-death situation. But the former's hilariously egregious -- a shame, given some of the more inventive staging going on elsewhere in the episode.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The heroic sacrifice makes sense. If someone did that to my group, I would probably wonder if more of them are coming, slow down, and look around. The stupidity makes the villain second-guess themselves which is enough time for an escape.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

ShakeZula posted:

Bill Paxton was on Agents of SHIELD and then they had his son play a younger time-traveling version of the same character. He did a really over-the-top impression of Bill that I suspect he and his siblings had been perfecting behind his back for decades.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Very amused by Bucky getting beaten up and insulted and arrested for a parole violation all in a day's work. I'm excited to see if Renner channels more Hawkguy in his upcoming show but current Bucky is a pretty fun substitute.

I really want to see old man Isaiah go hog wild on some jabronis. I had read that he was cast but for some reason I completely overlooked that they could/would also introduce Patriot, despite all the recent talk about possible Young Avengers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Especially coming right off the heels of his excellent First Avenger costumes.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nameless Pete posted:

Bill Paxton was on Agents of SHIELD and then they had his son play a younger time-traveling version of the same character. He did a really over-the-top impression of Bill that I suspect he and his siblings had been perfecting behind his back for decades.

Oh yeah, that guy was great, and I completely forgot he was actually Bill Paxton's son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The thjerapist scene felt like Age of Ultron in all the worst ways. The tone of it was all loving wrong and completley killed the momentum of the show. Trying to force a buddy comedy here with scenes that in the narrative itself as forced just made the scene so loving bad and it should've been cut from the show entirely.

Some executive saying "we need more jokes!"