Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

sounds like I need a history lesson, what is the joke here? skimming wikipedia didnt help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gently caress you

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

jetz0r posted:

gently caress you

good morning sunday morning

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

ymgve posted:

sounds like I need a history lesson, what is the joke here? skimming wikipedia didnt help

Read his name.

Can't tell by his profile pic, but you can also try checking out his jaw.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

ymgve posted:

The initial person there was looking for stories of women who, like, managed to get a university education when it was still restricted to men, or had major roles in developing the first curricula, or were historically influential deans, or so on.

Eddie the Jaw there jumped in to toot the horn of his great-great-great-great-great grandmother who was on the throne when her country followed the example of its neighbors and decided to start having public schools. Because it was an absolute monarchy at the time it was technically her decree, and it may even have been an idea she worked to publicize or to smooth acceptance of, but it's pretty tangential even before you realize that the guy just spends his days idly doing "miss us yet?" at the internet.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/amazonnews/status/1375529101931520007

This being real is kinda funny

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jaynooch/status/1375527085939294223?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

this would require installing a government GPS tracker into every car and that will never, ever happen

though it would be really funny to see how mad all the tesla owners get about it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this would require installing a government GPS tracker into every car and that will never, ever happen

though it would be really funny to see how mad all the tesla owners get about it

they could just assess it in chunks when you bring your car in for inspection

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

indigi posted:

So functionally getting your car inspected will cost hundreds of dollars?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Gripweed posted:

So functionally getting your car inspected will cost hundreds of dollars?

well if you selfishly drive a bunch of miles then I guess

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

indigi posted:

some states don't do inspection

edit: in fact i imagine most don't

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Peanut President posted:

not yet ;)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

federalize the inspectors!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't believe we all thought butt was unqualified for this job just because he has no relevant education or experience. he is a master of the only two skills that matter- comical ineptitude and cruel, pointless loving over of poor people.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

nah people would go nuts if you were forced to go visit a guy and pay him money in order to do your taxes every year

lol imagining all the tax prep companies opening up little booths in parking lots everywhere around tax season like those windshield repair spots

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://twitter.com/Ritualist_dA/status/1374697543586738177

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

They sell candy-branded hand sanitizer

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1375502015569264648

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol "china state-affiliated media"

i wonder when every american reporter will get something similar

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

indigi posted:

just set up tracking points on all the highways so the libertarians go "wait, no, not like that"

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah people would go nuts if you were forced to go visit a guy and pay him money in order to do your taxes every year

lol imagining all the tax prep companies opening up little booths in parking lots everywhere around tax season like those windshield repair spots

I live in Virginia and it has both a required annual car inspection and a personal property tax based on the blue book value of the car. I imagine they could implement something mile-related pretty easily, just have the inspector send the odometer reading to the state.

Not saying it's a good idea but I could see it being feasible here.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peanut President posted:

:stare:

You're just allowed to drive around unsafe cars?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

idk if you live in an inspection state but here i'm pretty sure all they do is plug something into the diagnostic port and if it says the car is safe, you get the sticker

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I wonder if there is some expense that correlates with car use, that you guys could put a tax on

no tracking required

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

shirts and skins posted:

I live in Virginia and it has both a required annual car inspection and a personal property tax based on the blue book value of the car. I imagine they could implement something mile-related pretty easily, just have the inspector send the odometer reading to the state.

Not saying it's a good idea but I could see it being feasible here.

35 states don't do inspections

and it looks like virginia has something like 1 in 5 cars who skip inspection entirely

i'm from louisiana and while they say that it's 1 in 3 cars out of inspection there, i suspect it's much higher even though it "only" costs like $15

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Plank Walker posted:

idk if you live in an inspection state but here i'm pretty sure all they do is plug something into the diagnostic port and if it says the car is safe, you get the sticker

Over here :denmark: you get fined repeatedly if you miss the inspection date by more than 9 weeks and by week 15 you get your plates confiscated. They are mandatory every 2 years.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

35 states don't do inspections

omfg

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Mar 27, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

Over here :denmark: you get fined repeatedly if you miss the inspection date by more than 9 weeks and by week 15 you get your plates confiscated. They are mandatory every 2 years.

omfg

Implementing a scheme like that nationwide in America would go over fantastically.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ymgve posted:

I wonder if there is some expense that correlates with car use, that you guys could put a tax on

no tracking required

I don't drive but do huff petrol fumes. A gas tax would be an unfair burden on me.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ymgve posted:

no tracking required

the gas tax was this with the added bonus of incentivizing gas economy but hybrids and electrics have thrown off the numbers.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

that's emissions, and yeah these days they just plug into a port an ask the car if it pollutes

inspection is checking to see if the car meets the minimum requirements of "being a car" like having doors, tires, brakes, etc in working order. Those requirements all vary by state though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You have to have working windshield wipers but only if you have a windshield, which is itself optional.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

lol

I registered a diesel box truck in a state where they didn’t even look at it and there are no emissions tests for vehicles that are like 20 years old

:911:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/paulomalley/status/1375050953091510272?s=21

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the buttigieg tax is loving me up. that won't actually go to congress right - are they that stupid

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wanna see it happen just to see libs bend over backwards defending it

pdog
May 7, 2013
road user charging is a reasonably well established lever to dissuade private car use - i know americans are incredibly self centred but buttigieg didn’t invent this as an idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In fact, liberals didn’t invent most of their poo poo policies.