Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Defiance Industries posted:

It's 3025 exactly, but in practice the only thing that's really important is that the Fed-Com Alliance exists, but the 4th Succession War hasn't broken out yet.

On that note, Poptarts - you've hinted at it being secretly 3050 as per mods - is that just for accessibility for more shiny weapons and mechs or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

OddObserver posted:

Or less historic perspective: right now we got space feudalism with giant robots, tech stagnation, and, well, not really cold war, but kind of lukewarm war going on, with lots of mercenaries with not-really-plausible-deniability being hired by the various powers to mess stuff up for their neighbors (a whole bunch of our non-plot missions are like that). We're kind of at the edge of known human civilization, with plot missions involving trying to restore to power a couped "High Lady" of a 3rd rate (or may be 2.5-rate) power, Aurigan Coalition, with financial backing of a 2nd rate power (Magistracy of Canopus) due to concerns of tension in the region between the Taurian Concordat (another 2nd rate power) and the Federated Suns (one of the big boys). On the map we only really see the edges of the territory of the big boys.

FWIW, the game has helpful hover dictionary for stuff like this.

I always loved thinking of the Periphery where we are as part Mad Max in space, part the next system over being the 80's with giant punchy robots used to wage war.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

OddObserver posted:

FWIW, the game has helpful hover dictionary for stuff like this.

Yeah, whenever you see orange text in the screenshots of people talking, you can mouse over it and the game will give you a little explanation. It's absolutely fantastic and is a good way to handle the conflicting needs of "people who already know this don't need it awkwardly exposited in" and "people who don't know what any of this means will miss the big significance of some of the poo poo we're saying." Like generally speaking, the way they talk about Star League tech, you can figure out "rad old poo poo we can't make anymore," but when they start getting into the political who's who, it can be an issue.

I've seen a few other games do it, it's a really neat feature.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

OddObserver posted:

3rd rate (or may be 2.5-rate) power

This has inspired me to make a tier list for powers.

GOD TIER (Banned from tournament play): ComStar, Wolf's Dragoons
TOP TIER: The Great Houses
MID TIER: Magistracy of Canopus, Taurian Concordat, Regional leaders of the Great Houses
LOW TIER: Outworlds Alliance, Circinus Federation, Marian Hegemony
BOTTOM TIER: Aurigan Directorate, independent Periphery worlds, pirate kingdoms, small mercenary units

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ComStar, for reference, run the Space Internet and I think the jumpships too. And there is absolutely a ComStar spy in our outfit

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's no space internet, and they don't run the JumpShips. But they DO control the only reliable means of interstellar communication. They are also the last surviving vestige of the United States, so that's kinda funny.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

And there is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt NO ComStar spy in our outfit

:ninja:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lorewise humanity figures out interstellar travel that can also be used to send data packets allowing for interstellar communication. Limits being that transporting people needs to be done at Lagrange points or whatever they are called lest their be consequences, it also takes a crap ton of juice to do so. This puts a limit on shipping, more importantly a vessel that can carry the interstellar jump drive is too big to do atmospheric travel so there is a need for transport vessels between ground and space, thus dropships, and again limited capacity.

Humanity expands rapidly but breaks into factions because it is kind of hard to police a large chunk of the galaxy and difficult to apply force when you can't just go landing troops and orbital wmd'ing is barred by intergalactic conventions.

But someone invents fusion engines, artificial muscles (myomer) that are exceedingly tough, neural mapping software, and weirdly flexible computing software. Thus the invention of the battlemech to use to crush the opposition and run roughshod on the galaxy. For battletech technology, effectively any vehicle and armored building (Turret) is layered with a hyper-ablative plate that needs to be chewed through completely to get to the insides, For a tank this is not as good because the crew is still inside a metal box and very vulnerable when they lose the coverage of that plate, tanks and other vehicles also have more vulnerable propulsion systems. For a mech on the other hand, it has flesh(myomer) and bones (not shown in game but actuators, this is why some mechs are better at melee than others, they have hands, other mechs do not.) and is much less vulnerable since it is more like an armored knight walking than a tank with treads you can blow off with a well placed shot. The mech also has the pilot wired into the systems and if someone were say to try to sneak a rocket into the cockpit the computers start screaming "DODGE". (also the mech could put up a hand in front of a missile or other attack and stop the headshot with that.) Thus a mech is more durable in many ways than a tank, much more expensive as well.

But for the star league, expensiveness of the mechs wasn't an issue, weight was, 100 tons of mech or 100 tons of tank are the same weight when dropped from orbit, but the mech has much lower operational costs, more endurance (Fusion engines that can be refueled at a water source, and not nearly as prone to non-combat breakdowns as a tank) and better mobility. This leaves mechs to dominate on tanks in offensive roles.

I am going to leave out a lot of PLOT because ptn or others might be better, but.

1. Things go bad and massive civil war.
2. Technology is lost and there are PEOPLE (ok Comstar) who want to keep it lost and make sure more is lost
3. New interstellar ships become even harder to maintain and make and space travel is even more constrained.
4. Mechs are now even more valuable (and harder to build and replace.) and become the tools of the entrenched nobility to rule over the masses.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

4. Mechs are now even more valuable (and harder to build and replace.) and become the tools of the entrenched nobility to rule over the masses.

Used to be WarShips, but everyone ran out of those a couple centuries prior so they need to use a much less efficient tool.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Defiance Industries posted:

There's no space internet, and they don't run the JumpShips. But they DO control the only reliable means of interstellar communication. They are also the last surviving vestige of the United States, so that's kinda funny.

Ah, I thought they did run jumpships. Interstellar coms is as close as Battletech gets to Intersteller internet and for the sake of brevity I went with that

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They call them the phone company but it's really more like the mail, right down to it coming once a day, unless you live somewhere really important and then it comes twice

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always figured telegrams, given the strong emphasis on brevity in interstellar messages.
Comstar issues a currency like basically every other power, the difference is that the c-bill is the hardest currency in space. Everyone accepts c-bills, and most people who operate on an interstellar basis won't accept anything else.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Comstar charges a lot for the interstellar com system, brevity saves you C-bills. (C-bills literally being space phone time.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Veloxyll posted:

On that note, Poptarts - you've hinted at it being secretly 3050 as per mods - is that just for accessibility for more shiny weapons and mechs or?

I changed the start year in the file to 3045, but mechanically it doesn't change anything. It was mostly so I could throw in a few 'Mechs like the Wolfhound without them being too anachronistic.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Light, Heavy, or Assault?

Double-checked and they all seem to be named correctly. :(

More precisely, they're not showing up when you buy them, number owned shows as 0. This is after purchasing one:

They are showing up in the equipment list in the mech bay:

But they're not showing up as usable items:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

More precisely, they're not showing up when you buy them, number owned shows as 0. This is after purchasing one:

The only thing I could find was accidentally leaving the battle value off the jets. I'll get that fixed and reupload after work, but I can't imagine that would stop them from showing up in the mechlab yes I can, that's probably it.

Do you have Notepad++? Just to be safe, could you take a quick screenshot of the top of the Gear_JumpJet_Vectored_Jets_Light file? I want to make sure the ID matches the filename.

Uploaded a fix w/ battle values in place. You'll have to delete your .ModTek folder in the mods folder to get ModTek to load a new version of the mod (I'm at work and not in a position to change the version number). I have not been able to test if this works since I'm at work.

Edit: If this doesn't do it, we might be getting some new "Partial Wing" gyros instead. :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 27, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hehehehe nice score, those things can be endgame machines!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I gotta say, I am having a blast with Equipment Equalizer, as it opens up a lot of new builds. I've actually found myself running with a motley pack of 'Mechs that I'd normally never use, since now I don't feel pidgon holed into running the default 'best' lineup of Warhammer/Archer, Marauder, Cyclops, Annihilator that I always find myself gravitating towards ever since the release of Heavy Metal.

My current lineup is a LRM Catapult with the +stability damage cockpit mod, an Orion that's set up with a Wolverine FCM, a Zeus with an SDLF Neurohelmet, and my little murder machine Firestarter with Reinforced Triple-S and TSM who runs around the battlefield nibbling people with small lasers before going in for a big PAUNCH.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah even with standard equipment (haven't found any rare S Lasers in my run yet) my Firestarter is punching well above its weight class

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Aces High posted:

yeah even with standard equipment (haven't found any rare S Lasers in my run yet) my Firestarter is punching well above its weight class

Well duh. The Firestarter is a Light. It punching other lights is just a waste, or clean up. It *has* to punch above its weight class.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

right but I mean is managing it with only regular weapons and, like, 1 melee mod.

granted this is still early enough that even the occasional heavy is still rocking half armour

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

In a way, I'm glad that I haven't checked the LP forum in a month; it's been great getting caught up with this, as fun to watch as the run that got eaten. The Orion was a fantastic pickup this early, I'm wondering how it will wind up getting kitted out.

Oh, and the video thumbnails on youtube have been a splendid touch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, this probably isn't the right place to ask this, but I'm coming back to the game after a couple years and decided to install the mods PoptartsNinja mentioned at the start of the thread, but when I try to start a new Career mode after setting the initial settings it just loads forever. This apparently isn't a unique bug but none of the posts I've found give me a clear answer. Anyone have any ideas?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How good is the Raven when it's on your side? I understand why it's a bitch when it's on the enemy's side, but we only have 4 deployment slots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Raven started out totally broken (reserve until the Assault phase and the enemy can't shoot, then blow them apart). Now the AI has counters: it charges into melee to deny you ECM coverage, aggressively sensor locks stealthed units, and I believe if you try to use the reserve trick with ECM in the field the AI can reserve too to force you to engage. So, Ravens aren't as good as they once were but they're still reasonably usable. The real issue is: they're squishy and have no firepower because of all the EWAR equipment.

JT Jag posted:

So, this probably isn't the right place to ask this, but I'm coming back to the game after a couple years and decided to install the mods PoptartsNinja mentioned at the start of the thread, but when I try to start a new Career mode after setting the initial settings it just loads forever. This apparently isn't a unique bug but none of the posts I've found give me a clear answer. Anyone have any ideas?

Check your modtek folder and look for the log text files. If a mod isn't loading properly it'll usually spit out an error of some sort to help you identify what isn't loading.

I got a little distracted by Monster Hunter Rise so I may have broken something without realizing it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 30, 2021

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Check your modtek folder and look for the log text files. If a mod isn't loading properly it'll usually spit out an error of some sort to help you identify what isn't loading.
Only error I'm getting is "Add to DB failed for mechdef_hatchetman_HCT-3X.json"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you have all the DLC?

If you don't, pull up the SLDF incoming mod and delete the Hatchetman from the bonus folder. Then delete your .Modtek file and reload the game to see if that fixes it. I was trying to force the Hatchetman to spawn early like the Raven and another 'Mech in that folder.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 30, 2021

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Do you have all the DLC?

If you don't, pull up the SLDF incoming mod and delete the Hatchetman from the bonus folder. Then delete your .Modtek file and reload the game to see if that fixes it. I was trying to force the Hatchetman to spawn early like the Raven and another 'Mech in that folder.
I do, which is the weird thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The DLC's data is stored slightly differently. Normally ModTek doesn't have trouble with it, but it's possible it's just having issues writing to that single file.

Not being able to load a 'Mech file could absolutely make the game hang, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Seems like it’d be something I could disable with minimal impact at least.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I still like the Raven and it’s bigger ECM brother as making an enemy do effectively nothing for a turn does help a lot to mitigate incoming damage, on top of protecting other units until the bubble comes down.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Do you have Notepad++? Just to be safe, could you take a quick screenshot of the top of the Gear_JumpJet_Vectored_Jets_Light file? I want to make sure the ID matches the filename.

Funnily enough, not on this machine prior to that request, as an oversight.

The issue was with all three vectored jets. The fix sadly didn't work:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
"BattleValue" : 0, is still missing. gently caress, I may have hosed up the fix.

That file should have had:

I was trying to remotely upload from work and something may not have saved correctly. I'll get a fix for the fix done as soon as I get home from work and I'm sure it'll actually save for me. :(

Edit: If this doesn't fix it I'm at a total loss. I know I was able to get jump jets working on the prototype mod (because I blew up my test Spider. Turns out 10% extra jump distance per jet is a biiiit too much on a 'Mech with 8 jets. :haw: )

VVV That's really weird. I'll look that over tonight too.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 30, 2021

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ended up having to delete both Hatchetman files from the SLDF mod to get career mode to start.

edit: My career mode started me in Taurian space, gross, time to gradually work my way over to an area with people I actually care to ally with.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 30, 2021

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

"BattleValue" : 0, is still missing. gently caress, I may have hosed up the fix.

Both the heavy and assault jsons have "BattleValue" : 0, in place, but neither of them is showing up in the mechlab. I've manually added it to the light, no change.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Jag posted:

Ended up having to delete both Hatchetman files from the SLDF mod to get career mode to start.

edit: My career mode started me in Taurian space, gross, time to gradually work my way over to an area with people I actually care to ally with.

The game knows the SLDF having a hatchetman made no sense, that's why

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alright. The game clearly sees the JSON and is reading it, so if that didn't do the trick there has to be something else that's breaking them.

The hunt for the missing comma begins!

Edit: I may have found it.

Double Edit: Nope, the commas are correct in the Assault jets.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 31, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah yes, the fun part.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

LeschNyhan posted:

I still like the Raven and it’s bigger ECM brother as making an enemy do effectively nothing for a turn does help a lot to mitigate incoming damage, on top of protecting other units until the bubble comes down.

Speaking of, I started a new Story Mode campaign with Flashpoints enabled during the main story. Once Kamea bought up my debt and I could move away from the starter worlds, I made a beeline to grab the 1X from Prototype. Once I get the gear to do so, I plan to give the Raven the +support range cockpit mod, four ERSL++, and a Hit Defense Gyro, and use it as a sneaky backstabber unit.

I also found out the hard way that the Raven's ECM bubble and the AI response to it overrides normal story triggers, as I took the Raven into the next mission, and almost got hosed over because the final lance (as well as our allied reinforcements) triggered early before I had even breached the gate because the AI was so concerned with 'break ECM bubble' that they didn't even wait for me to get into the base. I thought they would then turn on Kamea and 4v1, but thankfully the same AI behavior to pop my bubble overrode all other concerns, and Kamea was free to shoot them all in the back as they charged towards me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

may I suggest a linter, if you're not using one